Weekly points, positions and goals scored compared since return to PL

Pass the Dutchie

Thanks for doing this...I wish a few of our more myopic depressives would visit this page :-)

Wouldn’t this page make things worse?

Confirms and illustrates -

:scared: Lowest goals total in 5 years

:scared: Most goals conceded for 4 years

:scared: Lowest points total for 4 years

:scared: Lowest league position for 4 years

Add that to the early Europe exit + the worst style of football for possibly decades and you start to see why some are a little glass half empty?

Add that to the early Europe exit + the worst style of football for possibly decades and you start to see why some are a little glass half empty?

What it confirms is that there is no crisis..but you know that.

Our European exit was several matches further on than last season and I don't have a problem with our style of play although I'd like a little more consistency - which I'm confident will come.

What it doesn't tell you is that we have reached a Wembley final...or that this has been achieved despite injuries to our main goalscorer, our best defender, our most creative midfielder...I can go on but you're not worth the effort even if you do recognise your type by my description.

You were doing ok until the last paragraph which has reduced this from a solid 6/10 to a rather flat and uninspiring 2/10.

What it confirms is that there is no crisis..but you know that.

Our European exit was several matches further on than last season and I don't have a problem with our style of play although I'd like a little more consistency - which I'm confident will come.

What it doesn't tell you is that we have reached a Wembley final...or that this has been achieved despite injuries to our main goalscorer, our best defender, our most creative midfielder...I can go on but you're not worth the effort even if you do recognise your type by my description.

TBF we went out of Europe at the first possible stage. The fact it was further on the competition was due to us going straight to the group stage rather than us progressing further than last year.

Even without qualifying for the group stages we probably won as many games in Europe last year as we did this year?

• 3 weeks later...
We have swapped places with Everton this season

Koeman takes some stick on here, but you can't deny hes taken two "best of the rests" and topped his league again

*So far.

His first season with us fizzled out somewhat as well, lets see if the same happens here.

• 2 weeks later...
3rd in the league with 14 games left under Koeman, I knew it was that late in the season.

Even though we finished highest last year, I felt Koeman's first season was our best in recent memory. We had all the foundations of a Pochettino team - good passing, fitness, pressing, but also went direct at times which was often needed to make our attack both unpredictable and more exciting. By the second season we were very much a Koeman team, and that brought a fair few games of dire football.

Take the Sunderland game out of it, and 2014/2015 under Koeman's the worst of the lot.

Not sure you can take the best performance out and then continue comparing... Perhaps if you want to discount the best result from every season, or even deduct a few goals from the Sunderland game, but to scrub 8 goals from the record entirely doesn't exactly make for a fair comparison!

Not sure you can take the best performance out and then continue comparing... Perhaps if you want to discount the best result from every season, or even deduct a few goals from the Sunderland game, but to scrub 8 goals from the record entirely doesn't exactly make for a fair comparison!

Fair, but my point was that one 'freak' result (I say freak because Sunderland were as bad as we were good) which would normally probably be a low scoring game. We might have a game in the final part of this season where we win 6-0, and our 'goals for' might then look quite decent, but this wouldn't tell the whole picture and we'd probably still agree that this season we've struggled in front of goal for large periods of it. I'd rather the six goals were spread out across 4-5 games, because then there's more chance of converting them into more than 3 points.

My point was that if you removed that result (change it to a 2-0 win or something) then the goals for tally isn't far from this season's, yet this season most people feel we've been wasteful in front of goal. Nobody seems to say that about the 2014 season.

I know what I'm getting at, but I'm crap at trying to explain it! :lol:

Fair, but my point was that one 'freak' result (I say freak because Sunderland were as bad as we were good) which would normally probably be a low scoring game. We might have a game in the final part of this season where we win 6-0, and our 'goals for' might then look quite decent, but this wouldn't tell the whole picture and we'd probably still agree that this season we've struggled in front of goal for large periods of it. I'd rather the six goals were spread out across 4-5 games, because then there's more chance of converting them into more than 3 points.

My point was that if you removed that result (change it to a 2-0 win or something) then the goals for tally isn't far from this season's, yet this season most people feel we've been wasteful in front of goal. Nobody seems to say that about the 2014 season.

I know what I'm getting at, but I'm crap at trying to explain it! :lol:

Yeah that makes sense, I do know what you're getting at! I think the reason the 2014/15 season was so enjoyable to me was that we were so good defensively, but also had an attacking threat. I always felt confident we could get a result against anyone. This season, even though I know we can, there seem to be more reasons to doubt it!

We would need to win all of our last 10 games to be able to match last season's points tally.

Shows how well we did last year especially given that horrible run in December.

I do miss all those early season Koeman vs Puel comparisons that MLG and trousers used to give us.

Wonder why they stopped? They were fun