Sparta Prague 1 Saints 0 - Match Thread & Melt Down

St Chalet

It's too late now with Villa having refound their belief under Bruce. It was Jack Grealish we should have signed not f*cking Redmond. Grealish would ha e been just the player to get us firing on a cylinders. Redmond is one of the worse ever signings. He gives the ball away every time and it results in yet another failure to go for goal.

spot on assessment of Redmond

Beginning to think that trying for top six is a waste of time. European qualification hasn't brought much, if any, pleasure to the fans. Beating Inter Milan was a highlight, but that was the Inter side that is finishing bottom of our EUROPA group so not quite the achievement it sounds at first. On the down side we have the rush of games, the weakened teams because of having to rotate ad unexpected league defeats. There has been criticism of some of the players in the side against Prague, such as Classie, Long, JWP and Redmond with someone calling them mediocre. They are far from that, after all Classie and Long play regularly in good international sides while JWP and Redmond are considered good enough to play for England u-21. That suggests they are good quality premier league players, but I doubt any of them would get a place with any of the top 5 or 6 sides in the Premier League. When we do get players of that standard, it's only for a season or two as they are soon tempted away for more money. In the meantime, the players we have are easily capable of a comfortable mid-table league finish if they aren't spread too thinly.

This, it seems to me, is the reality. We should be content with top 10 but not top 6, keeping far enough away from the relegation zone so as not get drawn in to the relegation struggle that always hots up as the season goes on. We should make a real effort in the domestic cups to give supporters the chance of winning something but forget about Europe altogether. It takes far more financial clout than we have at present to compete at that level but established Premier League should be enough to settle for.

It was me who called Martina, Classie, J-Rod, JWP, Long and Redmond mediocre. And I stand by the comment - they are mediocre at Prem level and are the principal reason our squad depth falls away so quickly after the top 11 or 12. I wish it was different; but let's revisit this subject at season's end and see who's judgement has stood.