To boo or not to boo

Fitzhugh Fella

Having witnessed several near punch ups between Saints fans at the final whistle in Prague last night was heartening in a way as it showed the fans at least had a bit of passion.

At the end the fans appeared to be divided 3 ways, those who clapped the players performance, those who booed and a group like me who chose to stay silent.

personally I would only boo if I thought players weren't trying and that was not the case last night, inept as they all were.

However to applaud that lot off last night was "happy clapping" at its most nauseous and I quite understood the booers venting their anger. Sometimes it's healthy for the players to be made aware of how much it means. Certainly by Shane Long's reaction it looked like he couldn't care less. So is it acceptable in certain circumstances to boo?

A quick comment on the match - it is looking to me that the wheels on our wagon are starting to show signs of coming off - we were a rabble by the time the final curtain came down.

There are some that will go and support the team come what may, then there are those that travel with expectations. Those of us who have followed Saints (and probably any other club ) for many years, end up somewhere in the middle.

I go to matches, let my feelings be known and hate a lack of effort for the shirt. However, for many years now, probably since the media (Sky) started taking an interest in the player merry go round more than the matches , I have no expectations of the overpaid individuals on the field wearing our shirt with pride.

Sadly it is our badge, and the players we try to relate to are just on a circuit which spirals them up to those that pay the most, unless they fall by the wayside.

I stayed silent as the performance drained me of energy, though I had no problems with others booing (and I usually do). No doubt if we had played as we did at the San Siro, the reaction would have been different. Those who booed didn't strike as the types who usually boo or ones with inflated expectations. But the performance was dire -and it could well be our last European trip for years. It really isn't enjoyable watching us play at the moment.

I did react when Long didn't his little gesture. He styles himself as a fan's player -why he comes to us without fail after games. However, his reaction showed up how conditional that relationship is as if we're meant to behave like fawning lapdogs. I thought it was complacent and petulant.

Edited by shurlock

I stayed silent, the gesture from Long with his hand wave suggested to me that he was saying f--- off. To me, it wasn't just booing but some of the fans really turned against the team with their shouts and language, first time for years.

I haven't got a problem with it, shows a bit of passion in the fans who actually care - the result meant something to them far more than it did the players.

I wouldn't boo just because of defeat but special moments of shlteness like last night, Sunderland in 2014 Sheffield Utd couple of years ago deserve it , and it's not just directed at the over-paid players but also particularly the manager and his choice of line up.

It's not a new thing either I recall Saints fans piling down the front of the terrace at Elm Park to let the players know what they thought of them after losing at Reading in the FA Cup in 96/97 (I think) remember Souness shrugging his shoulders. Midjytlland was similar.

What I don't like are the bores who boo when it's 0-0 at half time in a home game when we're actually playing ok.

I have never booed

That said I did join in with the Man Utd crowd booing from the away end when we won 1-0 at Old Trafford last season with extreme relish.

I have to say that was a great feeling!!!

I guess like Duncan (Fitzhugh Fella) I have been a supporter long enough to realise these disappointments follow every team and Saints are no exception.

Personally I don't think booing your team does no good.

I think it is more productive to show support in times of adversity.

I backed the team vocally 100% from the first to the final whistle. Let it be noted that our fans got behind the team far more at a goal down last night at The Generali than the lot in Milan did.

However I gave a barrage of abuse at the end! To be honest it was aimed at the overall team selection by the manager as well as the performance of players. We wanted to go through last night, it's no good playing a weakened side, if you don't get away with it expect criticism.

No idea how you can take Long's reaction to mean that he doesn't care. He probably agrees with you that booing should be reserved for lack of effort.

I've never booed Saints. I like the defiance of OWTS after bad results/performances but seem to be in a minority.

I stayed silent as the performance drained me of energy, though I had no problems with others booing (and I usually do). No doubt if we had played as we did at the San Siro, the reaction would have been different. Those who booed didn't strike as the types who usually boo or ones with inflated expectations. But the performance was dire -and it could well be our last European trip for years. It really isn't enjoyable watching us play at the moment.

I did react when Long didn't his little gesture. He styles himself as a fan's player -why he comes to us without fail after games. However, his reaction showed up how conditional that relationship is as if we're meant to behave like fawning lapdogs. I thought it was complacent and petulant.[/quote

Good post and so were a few others later on. Is booing being passionate or negative? Does it have a place or should no good fan resort to it? Guess no right or wrong answer!

I honestly think most of the modern day players (premiership) do not care about their own supporters. They are so far removed from most of us who travel to places like Prague and spend a decent amount of time and money. Not really a booer myself but did shout a few obscenities last night as was really disappointed with the team and their effort.

I stayed silent, the gesture from Long with his hand wave suggested to me that he was saying f--- off. To me, it wasn't just booing but some of the fans really turned against the team with their shouts and language, first time for years.

How do you interpret a hand wave as a "Fûck off" ? Genuine question..

I didn't travel all that distance and I didn't waste all that money, thank God, but I did sit in my armchair in front of the TV full of admiration for the fans and wishing I was there until I saw the team selection and then I thought 'This will be dreadful, why why do we get to this stage of a major tournament and put out a second choice set? Madness for the Club, unfair of the travelling fans. If I can see that before ther kick off from my armchair, why can't top staff see it? We've had several years to be thankful for but sometimes the disappoinment is so intense it makes me angry and I can understand booing, not that it does any good.

I honestly think most of the modern day players (premiership) do not care about their own supporters. They are so far removed from most of us who travel to places like Prague and spend a decent amount of time and money. Not really a booer myself but did shout a few obscenities last night as was really disappointed with the team and their effort.

Agreed.

Most players have never been regular match-attending fans, mainly as they have been playing 3 or 4 games a week from a fairly young age, so they can't relate to what fans go through to go to games (including the whole charade of trying to get tickets in the first place...). I think that many players think of fans in a similar way to how they view the press, ie a necessary evil.

Must be pretty disheartening for the guys who went and had to watch that shiete so I'm not surprised there was booing. Does it do any good though, the ones it upsets will be the ones that care and I doubt they're the ones being booed. From watching at home (and I realise it is different) it didn't appear to be a lack of effort, but a lack of skill and ability.Is there really any point in booing Cucu, yes he's shiete , but he doesn't pick himself and as bad as he is, that is his best. Same with JRod , he must be close to despair about how he's playing , is booing going to help him? I don't honestly know what the answer is,because as much as I hate booing your own, would have probably done the same had I spent 1k watching that shiete .I guess a win against Koeman will go some way to paying those who went yesterday back,and win at Arsenal and all will be forgiven

I've yet to witness, in my 35 years of watching football, booing your own team to have a positive affect. In fact I've seen it spread cautious play, fear, and occasionally (from a more passionate player) a reckless challenge leading to a red card. The booing of opposition players similarly inspires them to play the game of their lives, the times Ronaldo has been out of this world when being booed for Man Utd.

Not that I would have clapped Saints off in Prague, I'd have silently left on the whistle, blocked the toilets and sinks in the bogs and turned all the taps on.

You should be allowed to support (or not) the team however you want. There is no wrong or right way to support a football team. I'm certainly not against booing or showing disgust at a performance.

There was no lack of effort last night, just a distinct lack of quality. Hard to know who to level blame at in that case. Not inclined to boo personally if I think the players care, and I think they all did last night.

Most of the frustration, I think, comes from the lingering concern in the background that maybe this is the season some sort of normalisation occurs and we limp meekly back into midtable - 5 years ago that would have been a very acceptable future but after continually losing our best players it does smart a bit when you think what could have been. So when you think this may well be our last shot at Europe for a while you feel the club aren't embracing it the way the fans are. That is the problem - the performance in isolation - it happens. The performance in the context of resting our best players in a competition we may well be heading out of - very very annoying.

You should be allowed to support (or not) the team however you want. There is no wrong or right way to support a football team. I'm certainly not against booing or showing disgust at a performance.

There was no lack of effort last night, just a distinct lack of quality. Hard to know who to level blame at in that case. Not inclined to boo personally if I think the players care, and I think they all did last night.

Most of the frustration, I think, comes from the lingering concern in the background that maybe this is the season some sort of normalisation occurs and we limp meekly back into midtable - 5 years ago that would have been a very acceptable future but after continually losing our best players it does smart a bit when you think what could have been. So when you think this may well be our last shot at Europe for a while you feel the club aren't embracing it the way the fans are. That is the problem - the performance in isolation - it happens. The performance in the context of resting our best players in a competition we may well be heading out of - very very annoying.

Whilst not arguing with the general context of your post I'd question how booing your own team can be construed as support? I have booed referees, cheating play-acting opposition players, skates, ex-skates, dirty barstewards, linespeople, ex-Saints players but never our own team - it's that word support...I support Southampton through good and bad and have seen plenty of both but I support...the operative word being support...and booing is not a part of that.

Whilst not arguing with the general context of your post I'd question how booing your own team can be construed as support? I have booed referees, cheating play-acting opposition players, skates, ex-skates, dirty barstewards, linespeople, ex-Saints players but never our own team - it's that word support...I support Southampton through good and bad and have seen plenty of both but I support...the operative word being support...and booing is not a part of that.

That's fair enough. But anyone who pays their money to watch the side can support them how they like. I wouldn't boo while the game was in progress, but I think I would while they were going in at half-time or at the end of the game, if I thought they deserved it.

Nothing wrong with giving them a kick up the arse when they deserve it. Or letting the manager know what you think of him and his side.

I was one of those who chose to stay silent at the final whistle.

Plenty of booing from some around me, as is their prerogative, although I don't agree with it and fail to see what it achieves.

Thought Long's dismissal to the travelling fans at the death was equally petulant and unnecessary.

All in all, a dreary, dismal and thoroughly disappointing 90 minutes of football. Still, it was soon forgotten about 30 seconds after we landed in the first of many bars we frequented in Old Town that night.

I too chose the silent response but I can't condemn those who booed, especially if they have been to all three away games. It's all very frustrating because with our first team we would have walked this group.

However, it hasn't spoiled my trip and I will carry on enjoying Prague until tomorrow morning before flying back in time for the Everton match. That one had better be good.

PS I saw a number of supporters who were at my last Euopean away match in Hamburg in 1984 and we didn't score then either!

I too chose the silent response but I can't condemn those who booed, especially if they have been to all three away games. It's all very frustrating because with our first team we would have walked this group.

However, it hasn't spoiled my trip and I will carry on enjoying Prague until tomorrow morning before flying back in time for the Everton match. That one had better be good.

PS I saw a number of supporters who were at my last Euopean away match in Hamburg in 1984 and we didn't score then either!

You must have kept contact with those supporters surely!! 32 years ago, faces change don't they?!

The collective offering from the club over our last 4 away European games has been utter s***e and deserving of booing. Why lap it up and applaud them off.

Thought Inter was a good performance tbf, just that Handanovic played an absolute blinder + good defence in Miranda et al.

Prague ranks worst for me, followed by Midjtylland and then Beer Sheva.

Saying boooo out loud just sounds odd.

It's pathetic, it's like a load of kids booing a pantomime villain or watching American wrestling when the bad guys gets in the ring, Utterly juvenile behaviour. Chants of "what a load of rubbish" like back in the old days get the message across far better than a load of morons going "boooooooo"

So sat reading all the posts about the booing on Thursday in our Prague hotel before flying back for the Everton game tomorrow. Spent @ £800 for the 2 of us to spend the 3 days in this great city. The events of Thursday evening are still painful to recall, we travel to these places full of hope and pride that our Southampton are playing in Europe, possibly for the last time in the foreseeable years hoping to fulfil our potential and represent English football with a positive and comprehensive display. Only to be let down by an under performing 11 who would struggle to get a point against any premiership team, we know all about rotation, but we were sadly lacking in the 11 who started on Thursday. I sang nearly all the game to be as positive as I could even seeing it was just not going to happen, but at the end I felt desperately disappointed, let down by the overall performance and I vented my feelings with wholehearted boos to show that and I am happy to admit that. I paid the cash and have the right to vent the hurt I felt, as I did vociferously in midjityland last season. When the team deserve it tough, they are paid enough to cope with the situations they encounter any should deal with it. Onto Sunday here's hoping for a win. And 3 points against the toffees, coyr.

What was Shane Long's reaction Fitz?

My big worry is that we have not got a goal scorer.

Big Charlie is too slow and will not be here next season, Redmond talks the talk, Long, Jay have never been goal scorers.

Oh for another SRL....

I think there is room for all 3. Booing can't be done very often or it doesn't mean anything - only a truly abject performance such as losing to a league 2 side in a cup would justify this or getting a 7/8/9 - 0 spanking from someone would do it for me.

Football fans have short memories - one day they are complaining the club doesn't give the manager any time and the next day they are complaining that JRod hasn't been shot yet and how dare they give him minutes.

Booing is pathetic to a certain extent, silence is much more worrying. We are Southampton, so any chance for applause should be taken!