Police Investigations into historical interference with young players

spyinthesky

Lots of comments being made on how terrible this will make the club look.

Personally I couldn't give a f*ck how it makes the club look. The most important thing is that any and all people who suffered because of this are given the opportunity to come forward (anonymously if they choose) and ensure that justice is served. Compared to that, talk of how bad the club looks is just meaningless drivel and so far away from being the main issue it's not even worth considering.

It doesn't make he club look terrible it makes the 70/80's look terrible which from a child protection point of view they were, I hope all those who come forward get the justice and help they deserve and all those who abused the position of trust which they held get the punishment they deserve. From the looks of it this is going to touch pretty much every club in the game and will almost certainly branch out into other sports. The club should do everything they can to enable the full investigation of the allegations and offer support to those who were abused while in the care of the club. What will stain the club is if we put the barriers up and don't acknowledge the historical problem, publicise what we currently do to prevent it happening again and offer what ever is needed by those that suffered assuming they are willing to accept anything from the club.

[h=1]Football sex abuse: Southampton contact police inquiry[/h]Southampton Football Club say they have contacted Hampshire Police after receiving information about allegations of historical abuse.

The club say they are offering "full support" to the force in its probe into allegations in the Hampshire area.

On Thursday, several former Southampton players alleged they had suffered years of sexual abuse by a former employee.

Something similar happened in hockey circles here in Canada featuring a convicted sex offender named Graham James, who was the coach of a junior team called the Swift Current Broncos. At least two of his young victims ended up in the NHL.

This kind of criminality has a severe impact on the victims. For some, it pushes their life completely off the rails. Anyone who comes forward should be applauded, and the offender/s will hopefully end up facing criminal prosecutions and lengthy incarceration.

You should drop Canada Saint a line he has lived in Edmonton for years. Played in same youth team as MIck Channon.

Just a reminder. Any acts of libel or potential libel are auto bans.

What's 'potential libel' then? I don't normally do this and I agree with a libellous statement being a ban but what is 'potential libel'? Any statement can have the potential but how can you ban someone for it as it doesn't exist. It's like potential winning of the lottery or potential dangerous driving.

Sorry I'm quite a stickler for these things.

What's 'potential libel' then? I don't normally do this and I agree with a libellous statement being a ban but what is 'potential libel'? Any statement can have the potential but how can you ban someone for it as it doesn't exist. It's like potential winning of the lottery or potential dangerous driving.

I would say that potential libel is something that maybe not prove to be libellous however is sailing close enough to the wind that the site owners become uncomfortable with the risk. It is completely subjective therefore you probably won't get a clearer answer than i have just given.

Just don't be an idiot and speculate about names that haven't been released in the media in relation to these claims. It's common sense really.

I am not legally trained, but my limited understanding is that libel is tested in a court of law . My view therefore is that something that may reasonably be referred to the courts for such a decision has the potential to be libellous.

potential

pə(ʊ)ˈtɛnʃ(ə)l/

adjective

having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future.

[TABLE=class: vk_tbl vk_gy]
    [TR]
    [TD=class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl]synonyms:[/TD]
    [TD]possible, likely, prospective, future, probable, budding

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Edited by St Chalet

I would say that potential libel is something that maybe not prove to be libellous however is sailing close enough to the wind that the site owners become uncomfortable with the risk. It is completely subjective therefore you probably won't get a clearer answer than i have just given.

sensible post CB. Ultimately it is the publisher that carries the risk for libel. My understanding is that in the case of Internet forums that liability can be site owners, isp, moderators and the poster.

sensible post CB. Ultimately it is the publisher that carries the risk for libel. My understanding is that in the case of Internet forums that liability can be site owners, isp, moderators and the poster.

And of course the costs of defending an alleged libel may actually be higher than the award itself - hope you're insured

Will have to try and find who it is if you are unable to mention it on here. A number of players from that era (Jamie Webb, Jason Walkington and Keith Granger) played under my dad when he managed Basingstoke. Will talk to him and see if heard any rumours.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Rupert Löwen was quick to suspend our manager at the time when he was accused of alleged abuse accusations. I'm wondering whether Lowe's decision to so was influenced by rumors elsewhere within the club.

Surprised Lowe hasn't made any comment seeing the abuse of players happened on his watch.

Rupert Löwen was quick to suspend our manager at the time when he was accused of alleged abuse accusations. I'm wondering whether Lowe's decision to so was influenced by rumors elsewhere within the club.

Surprised Lowe hasn't made any comment seeing the abuse of players happened on his watch.

The article linked would suggest it pre-dates Lowe.

Yep Dan Roan let me down there:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38200993

The coach was at Fleet, but is not employed anymore. There was concern around the lack of screening. I'm not sure how much screening can be done if someone has not been convicted of a criminal offence.

Exactly, unless he's been found guilty, what can you do? He's free to take work wherever he can obtain it. The real issue regarding Saints will be how much was known about his alleged misdemeanours and what did we (the club) do about it.... surely the whistle should have been blown if accusations were made?

The real issue regarding Saints will be how much was known about his alleged misdemeanours and what did we (the club) do about it.... surely the whistle should have been blown if accusations were made?

Whether anyone at the club knew of anything untoward prior to Radford bringing it to light is open to question.

Edited by Chez