Puel the Tinkerman - it is working!

Matthew Le God

More spinning than in a cotton mill...

Did you watch the game today?

If after watching you can't see that we are very well drilled team, and possibly in a better shape than when Koeman was in charge then you must be watching something different.

Some or our passing and inter play is a slick as its ever been. yes, we should have more end product but that will come. You can see that. Surely?!?!

He made 2 changes from our last league game (Fewest changes for ages) JWP for Davis and Sims for Boufal (enforced) he might be FINALLY learning

Perhaps he does read this forum?

In conjunction with the post you edited after the result on the other thread, I'm giving you a 9/10.

Great stuff.

Everton could have scored a goal today, which would have made Puel crap, and putting in Sims a big mistake. We could have scored a goal against Sparta, which would have made Puel brilliant, and squad rotation the greatest idea.

I understand the emotions sometimes, but people actually type this stuff out. Sometimes days after a result.

I can't believe some can't understand the need to rotate. And I also agree that the league should take priority. Happy days.

I think that they can, but it is the question of what the priorities are. Look at Spurs. They battle to qualify for CL, but when they get there, they pick weakened teams. We've done the same in EL. But ultimately, I just pay my shilling to go and watch the team and have to have faith in the decisions the club/management make, even if I disagree with them.

I think that they can, but it is the question of what the priorities are. Look at Spurs. They battle to qualify for CL, but when they get there, they pick weakened teams. We've done the same in EL. But ultimately, I just pay my shilling to go and watch the team and have to have faith in the decisions the club/management make, even if I disagree with them.

Better to play weakened teams now against weaker opponents in the group stages and rack up points in the league than needing those points later in the season when we are playing stronger opponents in the knockout stages.

And to stay with the subject....I think we'll know how well it's worked at the end of the season. I'm very heartened by the fact that (with the odd exception but that is football..) whoever slots in to the team whether squad or academy products manage to fit in to a system that is looking more and more effective as the season goes on. Sure we're not scoring enough goals but we're making the chances...I'd worry more if we weren't....and I have faith that these will come. I love the fact that the Academy lads have proved to be serious contenders for a place, not just a fill in because of injuries.

Shock horror that a mid-table football team has ups and downs during a season!

I'm still a bit concerned that our squad isn't strong enough to fight effectively on all three/four fronts this year, and we do struggle against teams that sit back. But truth be told, isn't that the case for every team? Liverpool only just managed to break through at home to Sunderland at the weekend, and Tottenham are out the Champions League despite not having the toughest group in the world.

We're mid table, incosistent, blunt as feck and lost to a crippled prague team with a bench that had only one player over 21 and a combined squad number of over 300... One win over an appalling Everton team does not change the fact that saints need to do better to match or even come close to last season.

Stating otherwise is seriously glossing over how poor we have been at times this season compared to the last few years. Fortunately we've made yet another £25m transfer profit as well as record tv and commercial revenues... I therefore expect investment as required to help us gain a top 7 finish as a minimum. A cup final win would mitigate a slightly poorer league finish however.

But the fact stands. We are not playing well enough yet, and need to get better. A loss to prague and a 1-0 win over that awful everton team does not constitute starting a thread saying things are working... We are currently on course for our worst league finish since our first season back. That is not something to be happy with (I don't blame Puel for it) given that the club has money to burn and chose to lose Koeman, mane, pelle and wanyama for a weaker squad and another transfer profit.

That said, I did enjoy yesterdays performance and loved finally seeing Sims make his breakthrough, I have been waiting to see that for years it is one thing I really do love about Puel... he trusts the kids and that is a staple of any saints manager for me. Doesn't change the fact that we need to score more!! And I think that sadly, that requires investment in the first team personnel, more players in the box, or a recall for gallagher (perhaps)!

A loss to prague and a 1-0 win over that awful everton team does not constitute starting a thread saying things are working...

MLG has history of these threads - after we beat Swansea he started the below golden thread saying how the diamond is working (as he predicted) before we then went on our dreadful October and November run. No doubt this thread will be followed by a league cup and Europe exit and MLG will go back to Football manager and new stadium updates

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57161-Play-the-diamond-love-the-diamond!

We're mid table, incosistent, blunt as feck and lost to a crippled prague team with a bench that had only one player over 21 and a combined squad number of over 300... One win over an appalling Everton team does not change the fact that saints need to do better to match or even come close to last season.

Stating otherwise is seriously glossing over how poor we have been at times this season compared to the last few years. Fortunately we've made yet another £25m transfer profit as well as record tv and commercial revenues... I therefore expect investment as required to help us gain a top 7 finish as a minimum. A cup final win would mitigate a slightly poorer league finish however.

But the fact stands. We are not playing well enough yet, and need to get better. A loss to prague and a 1-0 win over that awful everton team does not constitute starting a thread saying things are working... We are currently on course for our worst league finish since our first season back. That is not something to be happy with (I don't blame Puel for it) given that the club has money to burn and chose to lose Koeman, mane, pelle and wanyama for a weaker squad and another transfer profit.

That said, I did enjoy yesterdays performance and loved finally seeing Sims make his breakthrough, I have been waiting to see that for years it is one thing I really do love about Puel... he trusts the kids and that is a staple of any saints manager for me. Doesn't change the fact that we need to score more!! And I think that sadly, that requires investment in the first team personnel, more players in the box, or a recall for gallagher (perhaps)!

Halfway through last season we were as low as 13th, as part of a dreadful run of one win in eight during November/December. Quite frankly you have no idea whether we are "on track" for anything, good or bad.

A cup final win would mitigate a slightly poorer league finish however.

Who the **** do you think you are supporting? Some of you people really blow my mind.

A cup win would be insane and is looking like it might be on the cards this or one of the years to come.

If clowns like you ran this club we would be in league 2 with them.

While I'm firmly in the supporting Puel camp and think he is doing the right thing managing the squad how he is (if we get through the group stage next week, his whole approach to the LE will be totally justified), you could argue that if the rotation approach was working we would have won both the Sparta and Everton games, rather than just one.

But anyway, as I say, he's doing the right thing for me

The league should take priority? Why? So we can qualify for Europe again and play a weakened team every game?

The goal is to get out of the group, not to win every match. With one game to go we need to win at home (or draw 0-0) against a team who couldn't beat us even in their own stadium where they've never lost, and we've won every home group game so far. In addition to that, we're still in every competition we've entered.

He made 2 changes from our last league game (Fewest changes for ages) JWP for Davis and Sims for Boufal (enforced) he might be FINALLY learning

Perhaps he does read this forum?

Fewest change for ages precisely because we haven't had any away European games to consider in the 6 matches since 20th October.

MLG has history of these threads - after we beat Swansea he started the below golden thread saying how the diamond is working (as he predicted) before we then went on our dreadful October and November run. No doubt this thread will be followed by a league cup and Europe exit and MLG will go back to Football manager and new stadium updates

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57161-Play-the-diamond-love-the-diamond!

"Dreadful Oct/Nov run": DWLDWLWLDLW.

Yeah, "dreadful". Four defeats in eleven, three of which were away, including 2 away in Europe, and to leaders Chelsea at home.

Not to mention not losing to the teams in 2nd away or 3rd, or the reigning Champions away, and beating Inter. "Dreadful".

latest?cb=20090707092619

UPDATE:

- League Cup semi final

- top half of the Premier League

- good chance of progressing to Europa League last 32

Plus...

Cedric

Fonte

Ward-Prowse

Hojbjerg

Sims

Austin

...kept fresher for the Crystal Palace game in 2 days time than if they had started last night.

The Arsenal build-up thread yesterday was a nightmare to read. So many clueless posts were made when the team was announced. :mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

The rotation system has really helped bring on our youngsters this season.

We have seen great performances from Sims\McQueen\Reed\Hesketh\Target

as well as giving fringe players opportunities to play, and play well!!!

I thought being in multiple comps would harm us, I think overall it's been very positive thus far!!

Nice prediction ..remind me never to ask you for lottery numbers.

Agreed - Arsenal making 10 changes did really help

Perhaps Puel saw the Arsenal team sheet before picking his team?

He took a gamble and it paid off as Arsenal went much much weaker than we did - don't think we needed to take the gamble personally but hey ho we won. Good times

we clearly do not play a diamond as much/at all any more

We never really did play a diamond this season. We've always had a midfield three anchored by a deeper lying holding player, and then three attackers with fluid positions.

We never really did play a diamond this season. We've always had a midfield three anchored by a deeper lying holding player, and then three attackers with fluid positions.

remond and those in his position are spending more time wide than earlier this season

latest?cb=20090707092619

UPDATE:

- League Cup semi final

- top half of the Premier League

- good chance of progressing to Europa League last 32

Plus...

Cedric

Fonte

Ward-Prowse

Hojbjerg

Sims

Austin

...kept fresher for the Crystal Palace game in 2 days time than if they had started last night.

The Arsenal build-up thread yesterday was a nightmare to read. So many clueless posts were made when the team was announced. :mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

Oh do fu_ck off. Some of us had the hump with the team as we wanted out 1st team out to ensure a win, something that thankfully happened anyway.

For some of us, getting to a Wembley final is way more important than the league. Way more.

More spinning than in a cotton mill...

Please enlighten us all by explaining how saying that...

- we are in the top half of the Premier League

- in the semi final of the League Cup

- have a good chance of making the last 32 of the Europa League with either a 0-0 draw or a win vs Hapoel Be'er Sheva

... is "spin" as you put it???

:mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes:

(I guess you will either ignore my question or not answer it and go off on another tangent)

On the Poortvliet to Pottechino scale, Puel seems a bit closer to the dutchman.

I just don't think his approach is working and the inconsistent performances back that up - for the first time in years we can't score goals. I'm just not convinced by him.

The squad he has is better than the performances they put in and the results we get.

Rotation = a double edged sword - it gets results but consistency suffers.

This seems to be the case. We are in all competitions and still have a shot of doing well in them BUT are we really capable of winning any of them as we progress whilst maintaining the same policy thats kept us in them all so far. Bloody tricky one for the manager, don't envy him but great job on that front so far.