Best debut from an academy player ?

simo

Obviously we are quite blessed when it comes down to having seen some excellent young players come through but who made the greatest impression on you on their full debut ? Sims is up there for me , being just a nipper and not seeing Shearers against Arsenal!

I never saw Shearer as a Saints player unfortunately. Out of Bale, Walcott, Lallana, Chamberlain, Shaw and Chambers (those debuts I have seen), I would probably go with Shaw. I remember thinking how comfortable he looked with already the right build to play in the prem.

On a side note, anyone else feel Walcott and Chamberlain haven't (and likely will never now) reached even close to their potential? Frustrates me seeing talent like that going to waste.

I never saw Shearer as a Saints player unfortunately. Out of Bale, Walcott, Lallana, Chamberlain, Shaw and Chambers (those debuts I have seen), I would probably go with Shaw. I remember thinking how comfortable he looked with already the right build to play in the prem.

On a side note, anyone else feel Walcott and Chamberlain haven't (and likely will never now) reached even close to their potential? Frustrates me seeing talent like that going to waste.

Shaw's full debut was against Stevenage in the League Cup in 2012/13 and he was average at best. He played in an FA Cup game in January 2012 too but only as a sub.

I don't think Walcott was ever going to be much better than he has been, and Chamberlain has been a bit too injured to have done more - I thought he was a bit over-rated when we sold him, and if anything he's done better than I expected.

Walcott played about 10 times before scoring on his full debut in a defeat at Leeds, and he was indeed the only positive thing worth watching for just-relegated Saints in the 6 months we had him, and absolutely the only thing worth watching when he scored against an awful Millwall side in the next game. I first saw him pre-season at Yeovil, and he looked rapid and more twisty-turny than he has been since (a bit like Sims) and clearly had been told just to slot the ball across the box every time he got the space to do it. Took him YEARS to get out of that habit.

Shaw's full debut was against Stevenage in the League Cup in 2012/13 and he was average at best. He played in an FA Cup game in January 2012 too but only as a sub.

I mean their league debuts then.

Chamberlain is a disappointing one, but relatively speaking he's still quite young.

I don't think Walcott has been helped by injury. Seems like this season he is regaining his form though.

Arsenal players all end up injury prone. I don't know what they do to their players at that club but it's unusually high their injury list (all the time)!

Terry Paine and Mick Channon both did well on their debuts but it was via the Youth team and Reserves them days rather than the Academy and Under 23's in today's parlance

Le tissier was better than both imo and had a fine debut home to Spurs.

Shearer had already come on a a sub at Oxford in a league game, and put one chance over the stand.

Bale did not make his debut at Derby, but played twice towards the end of the season before.

Steve Moran scor3ed with his first touch as a sub against Man City, so that's not bad, but for a debut, and a first start how about Graham Baker at home to Blackpool.

Shearer had already come on a a sub at Oxford in a league game, and put one chance over the stand.

Bale did not make his debut at Derby, but played twice towards the end of the season before.

Steve Moran scor3ed with his first touch as a sub against Man City, so that's not bad, but for a debut, and a first start how about Graham Baker at home to Blackpool.

Bales debut was against Sheffield Wednesday I think which we won 3-0... He had a good debut but not as good as Sims did on Sunday.

Irrelevant. OP said "full debut".

It was against Millwall later in the season. 2-0 home win which relegated the visitors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was at the same game. Bale looked class even at 16. McGoldrick made his debut in the same game and looked out of his depth

So for those who remember what was Le Tiss's debut like?

My memory is an evening game at home to Spurs fairly early in the season. If it was that game then not really spectacular by the incredible standards he set later in his career, other than he seemed to do everything with ease, and glided around the pitch and certainly looked comfortable at that level. The only 'stand out' moment I recall was bringing an awkward ball down from waist height that appeared to be going behind him and controlling it, whereas most of our lot at the time might have made a hash of it, or watched the ball sail out for a throw.