Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I love the bit.....

but things could be a whole lot simpler if they got a deal done quickly with Mamadou Sakho an instant replacement.

....so Sakho, who isn't good enough for Liverpool is obviously good enough for us, even if it is a downgrade. And we should just accept it as it helps them out!!! They don't realise the absurdity/arrogance of that argument.

Yep, now we have nursed our top quality CB (who has been out for months) back to fitness we should sell him and take their not so good, currently out with a serious knee injury, CB in part exchange. And this despite Liverpool demanding a huge fee for said CB when we wanted to loan him in January as cover for VvD!

Perhaps if they had helped us out in January we may have decided that Sakho was a good VvD replacement (and perhaps he wouldn't have got injured) and that very deal could well be on the cards. However, ............. feck 'em!! I hope they receive the same punishment in regard to signing first team players as they have recently received for tapping up the Stoke kid.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp messaged Virgil van Dijk regularly to persuade Saints star to join Reds:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-klopp-van-dijk-transfer-10573311

Assuming the Mirror's report is accurate (a significant assumption), if that is not an illegal approach then the footballing authorities might as well tear up the rules on tapping up and declare it open season.

And there was me lying and making the whole thing up.

As i said, chit chat started months ago. All sorted from Virgils side - now just the clubs.

Would anyone be surprised if this was all just posturing by Saints before the inevitable? I think we all know what the end game would be.

Nope, wouldn't be surprised at all.

He wants out and I fully expect him to go. If not Liverpool (I think that's where he'll go) then somewhere else.. probably City.

And there was me lying and making the whole thing up.

As i said, chit chat started months ago. All sorted from Virgils side - now just the clubs.

Would anyone be surprised if this was all just posturing by Saints before the inevitable? I think we all know what the end game would be.

one thing we do, is manage exits well to suit us

Nope, wouldn't be surprised at all.

He wants out and I fully expect him to go. If not Liverpool (I think that's where he'll go) then somewhere else.. probably City.

Well I'm glad you see through it as some still don't.

This is a completely orchestrated drama to give the perception that, once again, we tried everything we could to keep the player. If you read between the lines of any club piece, especially in The Echo, then it's glaringly obvious. The most recent interview with Romeu is the most telling. He's the one that'll likely inherit VVDs captaincy, one of our most popular players and they have him insinuating that our better players may have to leave. Then the rollercoaster begins... it's on, it's off, it's someone else, then we cry foul.

Reed et al have known for weeks. It's just all posturing - we're not engaged in some holy battle with a big bully boy, the nuts and bolts of this transfer is sorted...

Edited by Crab Lungs

It is beginning to look like the club will victimize VvD and this reporting Liverpool to the Premier League is a desperate attempt to show fans that we tried our hardest to keep him.

This is brilliant.

This is a completely orchestrated drama to give the perception that, once again, we tried everything we could to keep the player. If you read between the lines of any club piece, especially in The Echo, then it's glaringly obvious. The most recent interview with Romeu is the most telling. He's the one that'll likely inherit VVDs captaincy, one of our most popular players and they have him insinuating that our better players may have to leave. Then the rollercoaster begins... it's on, it's off, it's someone else, then we cry foul.

Reed et al have known for weeks. It's just all posturing - we're not engaged in some holy battle with a big bully boy, the nuts and bolts of this transfer is sorted...

And yet:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15325384.Davis__Saints_can_make_a__huge_statement__with_Van_Dijk/

Is this club propaganda too or may we take this at face value?

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp messaged Virgil van Dijk regularly to persuade Saints star to join Reds:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-klopp-van-dijk-transfer-10573311

The Dutch international was flown to Blackpool for a meeting with Klopp, as Liverpool tried to persuade him his future should be at the club.

And after their unauthorised meeting Klopp then messaged him regularly.

Well if that's true its pretty blatant stuff from Liverpool that should get them in a bit of trouble...though I bet the footballing authorities don't have the balls to actually punish a team like Liverpool

If we can prove it, they are in big trouble. What I don't understand is we've known about this for a while, why are we kicking off now?

I would love to see them handed a transfer ban :lol::lol:

Serves Klopp right though. Absolute c*nt that bloke.

I'm not getting too cocky just yet, as I'm still fairly sure we'll sell him. Probably to them.

If this mirror article is correct then there should be nowhere to hide for Liverpool. The authorities need to show some backbone here, although as it's "only" at our expense it wouldn't surprise me if it goes largely ignored. Imagine if this was a United player being tapped up by Liverpool...

Hate to admit it but it would appear you're right. We've seen all this before several times now and as Eric B posted a couple of weeks ago to expect to see well brief articles regarding Liverpool in the media, well look at what we have here. Pretty obvious that we want to make it look like we've done all we can to keep him, demanded a big fee (which will be undisclosed) but at the end of the day the player wanted the move and forced it through yadda yadda. Same pattern time after time.

Hate to admit it but it would appear you're right. We've seen all this before several times now and as Eric B posted a couple of weeks ago to expect to see well brief articles regarding Liverpool in the media, well look at what we have here. Pretty obvious that we want to make it look like we've done all we can to keep him, demanded a big fee (which will be undisclosed) but at the end of the day the player wanted the move and forced it through yadda yadda. Same pattern time after time.

You didn't call me Rylan. I'm perturbed. ;)

Maybe its a Morgan/victor situation were we did actually say no. VVD will miss a couple of early season games because his head "isn't right" then play and move to a completely different club to the one he was supposed to be going to the following season...

The only player we've complained about before was someone who wasn't even ours. That was due to a breach of contract and nothing came of it because we dropped it ourselves and just tried to match Spurs bid at the eleventh hour.

I don't see how anyone can say we're trying to save face when what's coming from our end is that we're more determined than ever to keep him...if we go back on that now we look right mugs.

You forgot to add the bit where Saints/Liverpool both add their respective spin to the media about how big / how small the fee really was.

The only player we've complained about before was someone who wasn't even ours. That was due to a breach of contract and nothing came of it because we dropped it ourselves and just tried to match Spurs bid at the eleventh hour.

I don't see how anyone can say we're trying to save face when what's coming from our end is that we're more determined than ever to keep him...if we go back on that now we look right mugs.

Guess we will see wont we. I know what my money is on.

The disappointing thing for me is that if the Mirror report is correct, and the club are not lying, then Virgil has been holding clandestine meetings with Klopp and perhaps other clubs during his rehab,and apparently during the time he was posing in next years kit for our publicity material. If this is what happened and it was done behind the clubs back, then as our Captain he is pretty screwed and it will take a hell of a PR job to rehabilitate him with his manager, the players and the fans.

I do find it hard to believe that Virgil would personally fly to Blackpool to meet with Liverpool in a clandestine way. My lad plays in the Wessex league and he wouldn't even do that at his level because he would assume someone would blab about it. For Virgil, as one of the most recognisable people in English football, to meet Klopp and believe that his club won't somehow find out is quite astonishing if not unbelievable. I could understand his agent making the meets but not the player, unless......

Which leaves the other possibility...the club have sanctioned the contact and are blatantly lying if they have actually said they have had no contact from Liverpool.

Either way, it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth but I guess we are used to this situation now,

..To add a final point to my post 101, I actually found it quite refreshing that Lukaku was so up front about his plans. It may be upsetting for the Everton fans but he couldn't have been clearer that he will not stay with them next year and he wants to stay in the Premier league etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/06/romelu-lukaku-rules-out-everton-stay-says-agreement-new-club

I really hope Virgil ends up staying but if not then it is clear that either he or the club must be acting in a less than honourable way, and at least Lukaku has been honest and up front with everyone.

Yep, now we have nursed our top quality CB (who has been out for months) back to fitness we should sell him and take their not so good, currently out with a serious knee injury, CB in part exchange. And this despite Liverpool demanding a huge fee for said CB when we wanted to loan him in January as cover for VvD!

Perhaps if they had helped us out in January we may have decided that Sakho was a good VvD replacement (and perhaps he wouldn't have got injured) and that very deal could well be on the cards. However, ............. feck 'em!! I hope they receive the same punishment in regard to signing first team players as they have recently received for tapping up the Stoke kid.

I fully agree they didn't fancy helping us out then and now we should fight tooth and nail to ensure if he does go it's to anyone but them.

The disappointing thing for me is that if the Mirror report is correct, and the club are not lying, then Virgil has been holding clandestine meetings with Klopp and perhaps other clubs during his rehab,and apparently during the time he was posing in next years kit for our publicity material. If this is what happened and it was done behind the clubs back, then as our Captain he is pretty screwed and it will take a hell of a PR job to rehabilitate him with his manager, the players and the fans.

I do find it hard to believe that Virgil would personally fly to Blackpool to meet with Liverpool in a clandestine way. My lad plays in the Wessex league and he wouldn't even do that at his level because he would assume someone would blab about it. For Virgil, as one of the most recognisable people in English football, to meet Klopp and believe that his club won't somehow find out is quite astonishing if not unbelievable. I could understand his agent making the meets but not the player, unless......

Which leaves the other possibility...the club have sanctioned the contact and are blatantly lying if they have actually said they have had no contact from Liverpool.

Either way, it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth but I guess we are used to this situation now,

Not gonna lie I wouldn't care if he got the Pompey badge tattooed on his back if he meant he stuck around a bit longer, he'll have no making up to do the bloke's ****ing superb.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/liverpool-will-strongly-reject-claims-illegal-approach-virgil-van-dijk-124457762.html

Southampton were similarly furious in the summer of 2015, when Manchester United were reported to have agreed personal terms to sign their French midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, even though the Old Trafford club had yet to make any contact with the south coast club over a potential move.

I don't remember that?

If this mirror article is correct then there should be nowhere to hide for Liverpool. The authorities need to show some backbone here, although as it's "only" at our expense it wouldn't surprise me if it goes largely ignored. Imagine if this was a United player being tapped up by Liverpool...

Don't know how many remember Klopp coming onto the pitch at St Mary's to hug and chat to Mane after our league game in 2016. Can't stand the slimey creep.

Don't know how many remember Klopp coming onto the pitch at St Mary's to hug and chat to Mane after our league game in 2016. Can't stand the slimey creep.

Yep, I remember that. Klopp had a massive smile on his face which was weird considering his side had just lost despite being 2-0 up and cruising at half time.

If we sell him, and I'm still not convinced we will this summer, it'll be to whoever offers us the most money and that'll be City or Chelsea.

That said, if the victims want to give us £50m plus Sakho I'd happily take that.

Players tend to get what they want in the end.

Can't recall many times where a player moves to a club that isn't his preferred choice just because another club offer more money to the selling party.

Unfortunately we know how it will end. Its all just posturing, we will reluctantly sell him to Liverpool, proving beyond all doubt that new contracts for players are simply a way to get more money when they leave (which we already knew).

Its about now the club normally try to make VVD (all players sold) out to be the bad guy.......

The classic its him, not us

If he's met Klopp in person whilst we've been paying him to be injured then there is no option but to back Saints, whatever people think of Reed etc. That's worse than Lallana did IF true and VVD would be best advised to have a minor niggle before he plays Saints, particularly at SMS because the abuse would be even worse that Lallana and Lovren. The abuse got to Lovren in particular so badly Klopp had to sub him at HT in the 3-2 defeat. Whether the PL will take appropriate action and ban Liverpool from the transfer market for 2 years if these allegations are proven is another story.

Would take £5m or £10m less and sell him to City or Chelsea or he stays. Let's see how VVD and his agent like that!

If he's met Klopp in person whilst we've been paying him to be injured then there is no option but to back Saints, whatever people think of Reed etc. That's worse than Lallana did IF true and VVD would be best advised to have a minor niggle before he plays Saints, particularly at SMS because the abuse would be even worse that Lallana and Lovren. The abuse got to Lovren in particular so badly Klopp had to sub him at HT in the 3-2 defeat. Whether the PL will take appropriate action and ban Liverpool from the transfer market for 2 years if these allegations are proven is another story.

Would take £5m or £10m less and sell him to City or Chelsea or he stays. Let's see how VVD and his agent like that!

You'd effectively pay £10m just to spite Liverpool? That really is narrow minded and petty. We're a business, not a kindergarten.

Unless there are specific clauses that mean we have no choice, tell he's going nowhere. F***ing player power. Who cares if he wants to go - with the money now in the game I'm even more of a fan of binning moaning prima donnas to the reserves.

I hope that Saints can wrestle back some semblance of control over this situation. Liverpool practised the "dark arts" of transfer deals in order to prevent an expensive bidding war, and got caught mainly through their own stupid triumphant leaks. For me it would be unconscionable for Saints to sell to them. It would not be the end of the world if he went to Arsenal, United, Chelsea or City for an amount approaching Saints valuation, especially as, player power being what it is, he throws a nuclear-level hissy fit. Just not Liverpool and they should tell VVD's agent as much if VVD really is unhappy at the idea of staying here.

If Southampton weren't tapping up players to join us this summer I'd be seriously worried about their competence. People should get off their high horses. Every single club is doing it, why are people getting their knickers in a twist, just because Liverpool are good at it? Moaning about it, just makes us look like ****ing babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Southampton weren't tapping up players to join us this summer I'd be seriously worried about their competence. People should get off their high horses. Every single club is doing it, why are people getting their knickers in a twist, just because Liverpool are good at it? Moaning about it, just makes us look like ****ing babies.

If the club want to report them then that's their prerogative, but if we really are that angry about it then we simply don't sell him to Liverpool. And unfortunately I only see one outcome and it will be VVD to Liverpool for 50 odd million plus add ons, and with Celtic's cut we're suddenly looking at 40 million for us at most. We have never/will never be in a stronger position with a player than we are right now, but I just don't see us standing firm

Premier League should deduct 'Pool 31 points. Then 8th really has got us into Europe! :D

If Puel really has gone, I'd like to see us hold off selling VVD until the new manager had been appointed, whoever it is. Selling key players hardly makes us look good to potential managerial appointments.

I think that it is good to take a principled stand against a side that has repeatedly turned the heads of our players since returning to the Premier League. Of course contact happens all the time but this level of personal persuasion involving the team's manager has crossed a line, which explains why the club are being described as "incandescent" in the media.

I doubt Les Reed though has been having covert meetings and sending regular text messages.