Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Yeah, Ake would not be a VVD replacement. We would need a more physically dominant defender to replace VVD.

Is this young polish kid that sort of player?

Not from what I have seen in 2 games in fact cannot see why we are interested.

No real pace, didn't look good positionally, not brilliant passing but what do I know our scouts must see something there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

£60million with the other £10million subject to targets would be a decent deal IMO. I can't see anyone paying £70 million but we must remember we've got an unhappy player to worry about...

I think £60 million would be a great bit of business for VVD. Even better that it hasn't come from the Scousers.

The size of our CBs is definitely a valid concern if we have to fill a VVD-sized hole in our defence. If a partial trade deal is on I just think we should take the best defender available rather than the largest. Les and Ross could always look to other sources for a big defender. A benefit of the deal would be the possibility of improving the team's depth at the CB position by bringing in two class players.

£60million with the other £10million subject to targets would be a decent deal IMO. I can't see anyone paying £70 million but we must remember we've got an unhappy player to worry about...

I think £60 million would be a great bit of business for VVD. Even better that it hasn't come from the Scousers.

If he goes that's a nice bundle to go in the warchest for replacements of all the deserters this summer but we'd probably have to pay Celtic around £10m of that.

I'm not sure about Ake to be honest but Kurt Zouma would be worth taking IMO, £50 million plus Zouma would be a very good deal and I've seen reports that Zouma is surplus to requirements, when personally I think he's better than Cahill. Just needs game time.

I'd push for that, way better than him going to Liverpool and Zouma is better than Sakho IMHO.

Chelsea have a whole host of talented young players that they don't play and probably never will that would totally suit us I reckon. Would be like getting loads of Romeus

Totally agree with this. If the deal with Chelsea goes ahead, I would push for Zouma rather than Ake.

Totally agree with this. If the deal with Chelsea goes ahead, I would push for Zouma rather than Ake.

Christensen looks like he might be a good option. Out of the three (Ake, Christensen and Zouma) one factor we ought to consider is whether or not they actually want to come here.

Why are ex-Liverpool players so well-represented in the media? Anyway, another one (Nichol) is angry that we reported his ex-team for tapping up VVD:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/820548/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Southampton-Virgil-van-Dijk-gossip-rumours

:lol:

'Everyone taps up, so that means Saints have tapped up, even though I don't actually have any evidence of that, so that means it's unfair for them to call us out on breaking the rules by tapping up, so we shouldn't be punished for breaking the rules and tapping up, so they should sell us van Dijk for a price we say because we really want him and managed to tap up van Dijk and get him to want to come here, the price they wanted for him was too high...'

The VVD to Chelsea for £60 million rumour has put Liverpool fans into a bit of a tailspin today, but many of them are dismissing it as being unreliable because it comes from Sky Sport Italia. It's worth noting that the source seems to be the supposedly reliable Gianluca Di Marzio:

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/van-dijk-is-heading-towards-chelsea-he-is-contes-first-choice

Christensen looks like he might be a good option. Out of the three (Ake, Christensen and Zouma) one factor we ought to consider is whether or not they actually want to come here.

Christensen would be a fantastic option... I doubt we would get him though.

For me, I'd probably just chose Zouma over Ake, but think Ake is probably more realistic.

The VVD to Chelsea for £60 million rumour has put Liverpool fans into a bit of a tailspin today, but many of them are dismissing it as being unreliable because it comes from Sky Sport Italia. It's worth noting that the source seems to be the supposedly reliable Gianluca Di Marzio:

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/van-dijk-is-heading-towards-chelsea-he-is-contes-first-choice

Has anyone reputable over here backed up that story?

San Wallace in Tekegraph reporting this afternoon what looks like a massive climb down by the club over VVD sale.

"There has been no stalling of Southampton’s player recruitment strategy while the managerial appointment process has continued and the club will push ahead with target that have been pre-identified, in consultation with their new manager. Pellegrino will be part of the discussion on whether the club agree to sell their highly sought-after Dutch defender Virgil Van Dijk who is now fit again after a considerable injury lay-off.

Thus far, owner Katharina Liebherr and chairman Ralph Krueger have said that Van Dijk is not for sale, especially to Liverpool after they were forced formally to end their interest in the player this month. That might change over the course of the summer but will also depend on whether the club feel they have an adequate replacement to allow them to continue with stability in the new season."

Passing the buck onto new manager whilst he has honeymoon period with fans.

I've seen nothing reputable here, nor over at Not606 (at least not yet), so it's just Di Marzio. For some reason I'm not buying it, notwithstanding Di Marzio's reputation.

Although Cobham is about 30 miles further than Marchwood from Winchester (isn't that where he lives), it is an easy journey and quite pleasant up the A31. Didn't someone months ago say that VVD's Mrs didn't want to move. Chelsea means he wouldn't have to move.

Although reports are that Klopp called him and discussed tactics, which accompanied reports that he wanted to play for them, it is something only Liverpool and their army of media men said. But maybe it is all ploy on the agents behalf to get Chelsea to pull their finger out. There are other reports that Conte was mad that CFC hadn't got his targets and that he was thinking of going. Maybe that was a ploy by his agent - it got him a pay rise, and now the CFC interest in VVD.

When it comes to transfers, I think things are often/usually a lot lot murkier than they appear.

San Wallace in Tekegraph reporting this afternoon what looks like a massive climb down by the club over VVD sale.

"There has been no stalling of Southampton’s player recruitment strategy while the managerial appointment process has continued and the club will push ahead with target that have been pre-identified, in consultation with their new manager. Pellegrino will be part of the discussion on whether the club agree to sell their highly sought-after Dutch defender Virgil Van Dijk who is now fit again after a considerable injury lay-off.

Thus far, owner Katharina Liebherr and chairman Ralph Krueger have said that Van Dijk is not for sale, especially to Liverpool after they were forced formally to end their interest in the player this month. That might change over the course of the summer but will also depend on whether the club feel they have an adequate replacement to allow them to continue with stability in the new season."

He is speculating- funny how you see it as a massive climb down and passing the buck.

Or - Giving the new manager a transfer budget - Which would allow him to X & Y or a different transfer budget if he sold a player, that would allow him to X Y & Z.

Ultimately - Could he make the squad stronger than it currently is with 50 million quid or would it actually be stronger with Vigil in the team and a much much less transfer kitty.

If I was the manager, I would want to be part of that decision.

Although Cobham is about 30 miles further than Marchwood from Winchester (isn't that where he lives), it is an easy journey and quite pleasant up the A31. Didn't someone months ago say that VVD's Mrs didn't want to move. Chelsea means he wouldn't have to move.

Although reports are that Klopp called him and discussed tactics, which accompanied reports that he wanted to play for them, it is something only Liverpool and their army of media men said. But maybe it is all ploy on the agents behalf to get Chelsea to pull their finger out. There are other reports that Conte was mad that CFC hadn't got his targets and that he was thinking of going. Maybe that was a ploy by his agent - it got him a pay rise, and now the CFC interest in VVD.

When it comes to transfers, I think things are often/usually a lot lot murkier than they appear.

Indeed this could all be part of a cunning plan by VVD's agent, and someone said on here that he and his young family are settled in the south. VVD to Liverpool just is not a palatable option and based on Sam Wallace's piece quoted above, it looks like VVD to Liverpool remains a no-go for the club.

He is speculating- funny how you see it as a massive climb down and passing the buck.

I hope I'm wrong, would love to see VVD at St Mary's next season. Wallace appears to be a pet writer of the clubs though so I take his stuff as being from the horses mouth.

Next step would be to say we wanted to keep him but the manager doesn't want an unhappy player etc..

Call me a cynic if you like!

I hope I'm wrong, would love to see VVD at St Mary's next season. Wallace appears to be a pet writer of the clubs though so I take his stuff as being from the horses mouth.

Next step would be to say we wanted to keep him but the manager doesn't want an unhappy player etc..

Call me a cynic if you like!

Cynic! [emoji6]

Seriously tho I think we all want the same but it really is up to us. Virgil hasn't said a word in all of this and hasn't handed in a transfer request. He may well leave but it will be on our terms and for a hell of a lot of dosh.

I would expect the new manager to be speaking to Virgil within a week to see what virgils actual stance is then, go from there. If he wants to go then that will not be a climb down from the club. It's pragmatism in my book.

Personally I'd be a bit ****ed off especially as he was happy to take the captaincy and the improved contract. I'd be right royally ****ed off if he went to the dippers! That might be tempered by £70m+ coming the other way mind esp if its invested in the squad.

Or - Giving the new manager a transfer budget - Which would allow him to X & Y or a different transfer budget if he sold a player, that would allow him to X Y & Z.

Ultimately - Could he make the squad stronger than it currently is with 50 million quid or would it actually be stronger with Vigil in the team and a much much less transfer kitty.

If I was the manager, I would want to be part of that decision.

I'll swap you my Alan Shearer for your Speedie and Dixon.

Ake has played quite a bit in midfield at Watford, CB at Bournemouth and Left sided CB3 at Chelsea. He would be a very solid partner for Romeu. We should try and sign him anyway.

He is just the sort of player we should be signing. I really don't get some of the negativity on here about him. The raw talent is there, let's coach & develop him. He's a good footballer, he'll give us more options tactically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have loved him to stay 1 more season, but too much loss of trust and respect after his part in the Liverpool fiasco.

No way can i see him staying and a good part exchange and cash deal is as good as we can hope for. At least we'd have a decent replacement in place.

Any bids we make will be quoted silly money as they know we have the dosh.

Also this will save us all the same hassle and bull$hit next summer :mcinnes:

Hopefully that's an adequate replacement in a Pelle for Lambert way and not an adequate replacement in a Fonte way.....

I would have loved him to stay 1 more season, but too much loss of trust and respect after his part in the Liverpool fiasco.

No way can i see him staying and a good part exchange and cash deal is as good as we can hope for. At least we'd have a decent replacement in place.

Any bids we make will be quoted silly money as they know we have the dosh.

Also this will save us all the same hassle and bull$hit next summer :mcinnes:

Balls to that we own him for the next five years if we want. If the club are prepared to show some balls he can't go anywhere we should be looking to get another season out of him at the very least.

You do realize that based on the last accounts we have spent more than we have received ....don't you :?:?
I suggest lots of things can be lost in accounts, especially with football. Is there still that Virgin Isles (?) account that the club borrowed from? I recall we had some loan from an offshore company

I suggest lots of things can be lost in accounts, especially with football. Is there still that Virgin Isles (?) account that the club borrowed from? I recall we had some loan from an offshore company

Not if you know how to read them

Balls to that we own him for the next five years if we want. If the club are prepared to show some balls he can't go anywhere we should be looking to get another season out of him at the very least.

As the saying goes, 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him play football'

Agreed, although I think it was more to do with the way we worded it and presented the figures, but there is a common perception amongst some Saints (And other fans) that we have been raking in big transfer fees and the owners were taking it out, when the reality is, we were investing in the squad.

As an aside, the loans we took out from the British Virgin Islands wasf rom a company called Vibrac. The two signatories on those loans (Secured against every brick, player and asset we owned) was Cortese and Rodgers. One of he very first things Katarina did when Cortese left, was to pay those loans off, with a loan from Mcquarie Bank, secured against her personal estate

I'm guessing that was better terms ..... which begs the question, if she knew about the Vibrac loans - Why she didn't do that in the first place...... Unless......

High fees are good and all that, but unless prices for replacements players are already agreed then the figure is somewhat diminished. With that in mind, unless we can get a part-exchange (or we signed our replacement for Van Dijk in January, à la Austin/Pelle, soooo......Caceres? :D), I'd rather we stuck/pulled a Schneiderlin. As others have alluded to though, the idea of driving down the cost of the fee (and by extension, the amount we pay to Celtic) by accepting numerous part-exchanges should be the goal. Highly improbable though, innit. It'll likely be ~£60m cash with some of that as bonuses and we can all spend the rest of the summer f**ked off :thumbup: How much are Celtic rumoured to receive anyway? 15%? Of the profit or total?

P.S Seems a bit odd to be scoffing at £60m, but then Van Dijk is probably one of the best players we've ever had. But with regards to recent years, we never owned Toby so I think he can be discounted. And as deadly as Mane is, Van Dijk is on another level when it comes to consistency. If Van Dijk was a striker/forward we'd be talking world record fees.

Edited by Donatello

Good for them but £65m still ain't enough

£65m plus Christensen, or possibly Ake might be tempting.

Troble with Ake is that he is seen as a potential Ruud Gullit by some, but he could also turn out to be a Dutch Jacob Mellis.

£65m plus Christensen, or possibly Ake might be tempting.

Troble with Ake is that he is seen as a potential Ruud Gullit by some, but he could also turn out to be a Dutch Jacob Mellis.

Personally I think he is quality and will improve. He reads the game well.

We need to keep our captain tho. I think under our new manager he will shine even more.

A lot of that is just regurgitated stuff and I could have been the SFC insider with just a different valuation. We don't want/need to sell. We hold-all the cards. If we were to sell it would be for a very. Large sum.