Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Liverpool row with Southampton over Virgil van Dijk proves selling clubs will no longer be bullied

It was a measure of the seriousness with which Liverpool principal owner John W Henry took Southampton’s allegations against his club of an illegal approach to Virgil van Dijk – and the potential consequences – that it was the American billionaire who oversaw Wednesday’s remarkable climbdown.

The final wording of the apology statement released on Liverpool’s website was agreed between the two leadership groups at the clubs, which at Anfield meant Henry and Mike Gordon, another key member of Fenway Sports Group.

They dealt directly with Saints chairman Ralph Krueger, and his key aides including Les Reed, the executive director.

It was an unprecedented response by Liverpool to an unprecedented problem.

Southampton were well aware that their player was being tapped up, but when multiple stories emerged this week that he had decided to join Liverpool, the view at St Mary’s was that enough was enough. Their evidence was so compelling that Liverpool had no option but to back down.

At stake was a Premier League investigation, and the initial complaint sent to the League by Southampton still stands, however if both clubs decide that Liverpool’s statement is an end to the matter, then there will be no further action. The saga could yet have consequences for key figures at Liverpool with technical director Michael Edwards to be asked how the club got it so wrong.

The stance by Southampton shows that traditional selling clubs are prepared to be pushed only so far. The view from owner Katharina Liebherr and Krueger until now has been that Saints are not willing to sell Van Dijk.

A world-record offer could possibly make them reconsider, but this summer the mood is very different to previous years.

One thing is certain: any club who want Van Dijk will have to be much more discreet in the process than Liverpool. It will not change the fact that just about every transfer involves clandestine talks with the player first, the key difference being that the buying club do not celebrate a transfer coup before they have ensured that the seller is onside. Van Dijk himself is one week from returning to full fitness, and he will be reminded by his club that he is only one year into a six-year contract.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/liverpool-row-southampton-overvirgil-van-dijk-proves-selling/

Yeah i'm not convinced he's going to stay at all. But I feel like i'll be slightly less gutted if he goes, after today, because we look to have ****ed over those horrible bastards in the process. If they get a year's transfer ban i'll be absolutely over the moon, but I think given the Premier League's love of Liverpool, it probably wouldn't happen.

Well we hear enough about respect , about time clubs respected that other clubs have contracts in place and that its only respectful to follow the right channels .

Not just LFC in this case but the agent , and if SFC wanted I'm sure they could refuse to meet with VVD agent as he's shown no respect to SFC position

LFC next season will represent the Prem League in Europe , yet half the team may well have been assembled by cheating and disrespectful behavior, time for the rule makers to grow some balls, they take action against players for betting effectively banning them , but seem slow to act against the clubs and agents

If I was a betting man, I would say that VVD will be off this window to a club who we will do a swap with. Liverpool seemed to be offering Sahko as a make weight (at all of £30m and £100k p/w) which presumably we didn't want. [Maybe they should keep him now that they have given up with VVD]. I think Liverpool's tapping up buggered up our plans.

Reading their forum is nauseating and their suggestions that they should give us Sakho to keep us happy is hurting my eyes. They think their unwanted centre half who has severed ties beyond repair and who recently did his knee ligaments (presumably out for the best part of 8 months?) is worth £30 MILLION!!!! Incredible.

IMHO Virgil will put in a transfer request and will kick up a fuss until we allow him to leave for Liverpool.

Once that happens we will have to sort out a price with them.

Just can't see him being able to carry on with Saints after the fuss him and his agent has caused us.

Edited by Pilchards

Disappointed with Virgil for his part in this. We made him club captain, he signed a long contract last year and took the increased wages that it bought happily enough, that also made him our highest paid player ever. Stood by him when injured. We deserve more from him.

Now RAWK is in full 'he is not worth the money anyway' mode...

They will struggle for top 4 next season, they had a free run at the league this season with no Europe and just scraped in. Anyway none of my concern. Look forward to taking more points of them again next season.

There is no way VvD is going to Liverpool now even if he wanted to. People on this forum saying 'we'll see' or some derivative just hate being proved wrong. He might still go to Chelsea though.

I think we got that one covered didn't Micky Quinn say on live radio VVD had meet both Klopp and Conte....

Disappointed with Virgil for his part in this. We made him club captain, he signed a long contract last year and took the increased wages that it bought happily enough, that also made him our highest paid player ever. Stood by him when injured. We deserve more from him.

We don't know for sure if VVD had anything to do with this story. It could have been someone about to get the boot who may have fed his wish to go to Liverpool. Doubt if PUEL would stoop so low but maybe Black, or their agents or a Sammy Lee who has always been close to Liverpool and retains close friends at Saints.

Why don't you actually check before putting out such bs?

It is a fact that he removed SFC from his social media sites when the news broke, several of my fellow @dubaisaints saw it for themselves. Presumably after a few minutes when the Red Mist had died down,

or more likely a phone call from his PR/Agent or even SFC, it was back in place.

Not the actions I'd expect from The Team Captain, and we can only hope he sees the errors of his ways and puts in a decent shift if he is forced to stay with us for another season.

It's the least he can do, after all the club have invested a fair bit in him with pay rise and time and money invested in his recuperation over the last 5 months.

Hopefully (IF he has been meeting with the gurning piece of turd Klopp) he too can apologise to the club and fans for an error in judgement.

We don't know for sure if VVD had anything to do with this story. It could have been someone about to get the boot who may have fed his wish to go to Liverpool. Doubt if PUEL would stoop so low but maybe Black, or their agents or a Sammy Lee who has always been close to Liverpool and retains close friends at Saints.

Imagine one of those supertanker container ships that turn up at the docks every day. Imagine every square inch of it is filled with hundreds of thousands of frogs. Then double it.

That.

Imagine one of those supertanker container ships that turn up at the docks every day. Imagine every square inch of it is filled with hundreds of thousands of frogs. Then double it.

That.

This is when you're at your best. Good work.

Had to tune in to talksport to listen to Quinn et al. So it seems LFC have done nothing that everyone else does. Abd we are a selling club anyway, and while LFC have treated us with contempt, it is our business model to sell our best players. This is all about us trying to up the price. Matt Le Tissier on shortly which might have a different slant!!!!

I guess that when you get a reputation for selling anyone and everyone, it is hard to change that.

Id be hypercritical if i criticised Puel for snaking around and speaking to St.E then give VVD a pass for doing similar.... So i wont! His time here is almost up, just very very glad hes not going to Liverpool.

Man C or Chelsea for 60m+

Are we letting Vvd off without any blame in this ?

No...

Are we letting Vvd off without any blame in this ?

Letting him off what? The possibility that he wants to earn even more money, play for a bigger club and play CL next season?

Yes, shame on him. Grab the pitch forks!

I really wonder what some people expect from players.

Glad to see we are standing up for once, clearly careful planning with the contracts has allowed us to be in a position where we won't be bullied.

I do hope the club pursue with the complaint, I'm 100% sure Liverpool used the same tactics with Clyne, Lallana and Lovren but our hands were tied because of the contract situation. With their previous misdemeanors Liverpool should be due a harsh penalty, like a two year transfer ban.

Letting him off what? The possibility that he wants to earn even more money, play for a bigger club and play CL next season?

Yes, shame on him. Grab the pitch forks!

I really wonder what some people expect from players.

He should have asked permission, Im sure the club would have allowed him after thy had been in talks with Liverpool. The clubs need to agree a price before the player can go forward for talks. I theory him compromising our position has cost us £10m as now Liverpool have told the world they will not be bidding