Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

We should simply say no to him (if he asks) and all clubs for any price

He signed a six year deal

Do you in all honesty think that part of signing that contract was the assurance that if a decent offer came in that we would sell ?

If Vvd thought Saints would hold him for 5 of those 6 years he would have never signed . All in my humble opinion of course .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Do you in all honesty think that part of signing that contract was the assurance that if a decent offer came in that we would sell ?

If Vvd thought Saints would hold him for 5 of those 6 years he would have never signed . All in my humble opinion of course .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I have no idea about your first part and only the club,VVD and his agent know i suspect.

I would not expect that we could hold him for all five, but effin off just one year into the 6 year extension is taking the **** IMO

Never thought my 10,000 post would be to respond to you.. :scared:

It's a widely known fact that newspapers print unfounded stories about player movements because doing so sells papers. Commonly theses stories include mention of the various 'big city' clubs because these clubs have more followers across the country and consequently have the greater effect on circulation. The whole point behind the title of this thread is that VVD obviously cannot 'sign for everyone' which highlights immediately that the stories are simply lies. It is surprising that so many Saints' fans have been taken in by the fake news so that it gets discussed as if it were true but the Echo has done us all a service with a simple piece which ought to calm people down. Unfortunately, those who believe in conspiracy theory find the truth hard to accept. The best service people who want to see the club retaining all the players it wants to retain is to stop falling for the false stories in the media and to discuss them only by pointing out another lie.

I'd assume we'd do what we normally do and fund some out of the remainder, or use some of the added income from TV deal.

Need to think a bit more, don't you pal?

Ok so it's not technically a like for like. Much clearer.

Its always going to be dissapointing and as alwaysId love us to stand up and resist but have a look at the figures being bandied about !!

VVD is truly a great great player but you are talking 60-70m, for a CB ! Thats frieghtening

If we get our recruitment right this year that money will take us a long way, we didnt fall apart without him, so if we can improve on Yoshi and Stephens as well as a CM and probably another AM then it would really soften the blow.

It all depends on way we do after, transfer inactivity after losing him would be what is unacceptable and unforgiving, but certainlynot accepting a monumental fee

As far as I am concerned the player can earn millions more by moving to one of the big clubs, those that pay the players much more than the others. This year the big clubs have received circa £150m in TV and prize money. Our job is to take as much of that as possible by setting up the fiercest auction that we can set up with the problem for the buying clubs that enough is going to be a hell of a lot or he's going nowhere.

We are reported to be interested in Ake from Chelsea and Sakho from Liverpool but I would hope at realistic prices. Taking players in part exchange rarely works out and usually mean a deflated transfer fee for an overvalued make weight. I think a cash deal is the best deal then we buy whoever we want at a competitive price.

In my opinion VVD is potentially the best centre back in Europe and would be better going to either Real Madrid or Barcelona rather than the second rate English clubs. That's really where we should be targeting getting them into any auction or waiting until they are.

Edited by derry

The problem is that the more players we NEED to sign, the riskier our chances of overall recruitment success become.

Assuming Virgil and Bertrand goes, and Caceres, then we need to sign two centre backs to stand still and either sign a left back or trust in Targett and McQueen.

So that's two or three key signings before we even start addressing the obvious problems in midfield and up front.

Plus potential change of manager.

#quietsummer

The problem is that the more players we NEED to sign, the riskier our chances of overall recruitment success become.

Assuming Virgil and Bertrand goes, and Caceres, then we need to sign two centre backs to stand still and either sign a left back or trust in Targett and McQueen.

So that's two or three key signings before we even start addressing the obvious problems in midfield and up front.

#quietsummer

Yeah I think this is the key problem. And even though £60m is a awful lot of money, how many players in our usual bracket does that buy you? 3?

You need to hit on two of those three to make it a notable success, and even then one of those isn't going to be as good as van Dijk.

So question. If we put our foot down this season and make him stay one more year will people accept him leaving next season?

Don't see why not. Seems odd that we give a player a contract extension -and presumably a wage rise and we don't take advantage of that security to get another year out of him.

Frankly if we hadn't given him a new contact, he would have still had three years left on his original contract and we would have been under little financial pressure to sell him this summer. Begs the question why dole out additional money (and risk) on the new contract if the result is going to be the same.

Of course, if we do keep him, it'll be a massive coup.

#quietsummer

This is right. We are preparing to embark on our usual turnover of players but this time we are doing it from a position where we only gained 46 points (only 2 wins clear of relegation in a strong year) and where we've got the weakest first XI since we were promoted. Could all unravel this summer I fear. IMO we need to get on with changing the manager (if that's what we've decided) and then get a couple of signings in early. Our policy of sell first (and very quickly) and dither around making our own decisions will cost us badly if that happens again.

This is right. We are preparing to embark on our usual turnover of players but this time we are doing it from a position where we only gained 46 points (only 2 wins clear of relegation in a strong year) and where we've got the weakest first XI since we were promoted. Could all unravel this summer I fear. IMO we need to get on with changing the manager (if that's what we've decided) and then get a couple of signings in early. Our policy of sell first (and very quickly) and dither around making our own decisions will cost us badly if that happens again.

Amen.

Is anyone capable of a reasonable estimate of how much his 6 year contract has added to his value, or is it not worth the paper its written on ?

Doubt it's added anything since he would have still had three years left on his original contract, giving us more than enough transfer bargaining power. If anything it's cost us in terms of the wage rise etc.

Obvious that VVDs agent was directly behind all the media disclosure frenzy yesterday and i presume because SFC have been igoring their telpehone calls. More needs to be done about wassermans actions and i doubt Liverpool are that far behind in the disclosure. Their local paper has been active saying the same thing and we know from the past that other players have all gotten this media approach to force the situation.

So question. If we put our foot down this season and make him stay one more year will people accept him leaving next season?

Difficult one for the board though, he's 1 injury away from potentially not playing again and his value plummeting (he's probably at his peak value this season).

I suspect everyone would accept it if he was going to City, Chelsea or abroad.

We'll also doing it from a position where we don't have an established core of players. In previous seasons, even during the height of the meltdown, we had that continuity and quality. If Bertrand, VVD and Romeu leave, who would you count as truly established and battle-hardened? Forster (if he returns to form)? Davis (though he's in his twilight years)? Cedric (if he stays)?

Difficult one for the board though, he's 1 injury away from potentially not playing again and his value plummeting (he's probably at his peak value this season).

You make it sound as if he's injury prone. He'll still be in demand next summer -if anything fees for PL players will be crazier, relative to the costs of replacing him from abroad.

We're a mid table team and someone is offering to pay the highest fees ever paid for a defender. I don't care if it's Liverpool, Chelsea or Port flippin' Vale, that's a ludicrous amount of money for a club our size.

With £60m, we could break our own transfer record on 3 different players. It's like having a choice between Virgil or Lovren, Pelle, Mané and Tadic.

We're a mid table team and someone is offering to pay the highest fees ever paid for a defender. I don't care if it's Liverpool, Chelsea or Port flippin' Vale, that's a ludicrous amount of money for a club our size.

With £60m, we could break our own transfer record on 3 different players. It's like having a choice between Virgil or Lovren, Pelle, Mané and Tadic.

Agree with the sentiment and it is achievable - however, would need to hope Ross and Les get it right on the recruitment.

Agreed, the amount is eye watering. Only need to look at Everton and see how they benefited from selling Stones to City

It's not the end of the world but we need to be smart in how we spend the money

if a player is that good to be worth £60m, then why on earth would we think he would want to stay with us rather than play champions league football etc. None of us were complaining when we were cherry picking all the best non prem players when we were on our way up from League One.

I would chuckle though if he turns out not to be the player he was after long term injury a la Jay Rod.

:lol:

Tell me what's not logical then? Or you can give up because you've lost this one.

Because you didn't state that the costs of buying Semedo and Sakho (inc. wages+transfer) would exceed the money raised by the sale of VVD (transfer+wages saved).

By contrast, someone might think you plucked the reported fee for VVD (£60m) to purchase Semedo (£20m) and Sakho (£40m). Hey presto, both add up to £60m! They offset! Great deal!

But of course, you might have meant something else, chubster :lol:

Edited by shurlock

You make it sound as if he's injury prone. He'll still be in demand next summer -if anything fees for PL players will be crazier, relative to the costs of replacing him from abroad.

Not at all. Take Jay as an example.

That summer, had he not been injured, he would have (most likely) been sold to Tottenham for a fee around £20m-£25m (relatively big for us, back then), I suspect.

A freak injury occurred and he is now he's worth next to nothing, probably £5m-£10m (in today's market, that's peanuts). There is nothing to suggest this couldn't / wont happen to VVD, which IMO is a massive risk. Also, we don't know how bad his current injury is/was and how well he will recover, although I suspect it isn't that bad.

I honestly do not think a club of our size (or many clubs bigger) can turn down £60m+ for a CB. There's talk that Lukaku (I know he only has 2 years on his contract which would decrease the value slightly) is valued at £70m and he's one of the best goal scorers in the PL, which put's it into perspective....

You also have to consider what the player wants... Liverpool are reportedly offering him £180-£200k a week, I would suspect that is around £100k more than what we can offer. Even if he is only to stay for 1 extra year, that would equate to c£5m he would have lost in a year (I am assuming players are paid wages for 52 weeks of the year, I generally don't know how it works). A big ask to expect that, if you ask me.

Not at all. Take Jay as an example.

That summer, had he not been injured, he would have (most likely) been sold to Tottenham for a fee around £20m-£25m (relatively big for us, back then), I suspect.

A freak injury occurred and he is now he's worth next to nothing, probably £5m-£10m (in today's market, that's peanuts). There is nothing to suggest this couldn't / wont happen to VVD, which IMO is a massive risk. Also, we don't know how bad his current injury is/was and how well he will recover, although I suspect it isn't that bad.

I honestly do not think a club of our size (or many clubs bigger) can turn down £60m+ for a CB. There's talk that Lukaku (I know he only has 2 years on his contract which would decrease the value slightly) is valued at £70m and he's one of the best goal scorers in the PL, which put's it into perspective....

You also have to consider what the player wants... Liverpool are reportedly offering him £180-£200k a week, I would suspect that is around £100k more than what we can offer. Even if he is only to stay for 1 extra year, that would equate to c£5m he would have lost in a year (I am assuming players are paid wages for 52 weeks of the year, I generally don't know how it works). A big ask to expect that, if you ask me.

Obviously we don't know the specific nature of VVD's injury -but presumably the fact that clubs are willing to fork out so much on him means that (i) it's not that serious and/or (ii) he's returned to full fitness. In this respect, not sure why Jrod is particularly relevant - he suffered a torn ACL which is literally a career ender. It took him 16 months to return to competitive action.

Frankly if given the choice of £60m this season or £60m next summer (with the injury risks you suggest), I'd happily take that risk as I think it's trivial and outweighed by the benefit of enjoying arguably the league's best CB for another season.

Of course, what the player wants is critical but that's a different discussion.

@AdamBlackmore

BBC Radio Solent understands that #saintsfc are to report Liverpool to the Premier League over an illegal approach for Virgil Va Dijk

Would be funny if they had an 18 month transfer ban slapped on them.

@AdamBlackmore

BBC Radio Solent understands that #saintsfc are to report Liverpool to the Premier League over an illegal approach for Virgil Va Dijk

Good for them, I bet he still ends up there as they have a hold over Les.

This would be a great time for our board to turn around and say we shall never deal with Liverpool again.

This is actually a pretty enviable position to be in! We either get a huge wad of cash and turn a massive profit and reinvest OR we retain our player who is one of the best central defenders in the world. It's a win win.

Because you didn't state that the costs of buying Semedo and Sakho (inc. wages+transfer) would exceed the money raised by the sale of VVD (transfer+wages saved).

By contrast, someone might think you plucked the reported fee for VVD (£60m) to purchase Semedo (£20m) and Sakho (£40m). Hey presto, both add up to £60m! They offset! Great deal!

Well you clearly can't read, I said Sakho plus £40m for VVD. I'm also not saying now the costs would exceed it.

Do you want to start again?

It's alright, I know you love trying to catch me out because I've made you look a fool a number of times (although you tend to do that enough for yourself), but come on, it was a very innocuous, "yeah, could be a good deal if we did this". I didn't realise I needed to fully cost everything I put on here.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

@AdamBlackmore

Long Overdue, they should have done it previously.

There are enough quotes from their "single tactic" manager about talking to VvD's rep.

You know he said he wanted Sakho plus another £40m right? Which still leaves £20m if we sign Semedo for £20m. That might help pay the wages of a player from the Portuguese league for some time.