Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I'm guessing this will be another Morgan/Wanyama situation. We say in public we wont sell him, but next summer hes gone.

If he stays till next summer then our 'in public we won't sell him' will be perfectly accurate. Job done.

Does anyone know if VVD is scheduled to return for pre-season training this week? I notice that his passive-aggressive behaviour is continuing on Twitter. He's changed his background picture from a shot of his back in a Saints shirt, to another picture of him in the orange of the Dutch national team.

Does anyone know if VVD is scheduled to return for pre-season training this week? I notice that his passive-aggressive behaviour is continuing on Twitter. He's changed his background picture from a shot of his back in a Saints shirt, to another picture of him in the orange of the Dutch national team.

Yeah he is due to be back tomorrow as he didn't go on international duty - Should be fully recovered from injury too so should be able to take full part in the fitness tests tomorrow (If he decides to turn up that is..)

It'll go to the week before our first league game, and then VVD will hand in a transfer request. He'll be kept out of the squad for a couple of games whilst we try to get as much as we can go him. We'll end up selling him with about a week left before the window closes and will desperately try to get someone in on loan as cover.

That didn't happen when Schneiderlin and Wanyama both asked to leave. They were both told no and stayed an extra season.

It'll go to the week before our first league game, and then VVD will hand in a transfer request. He'll be kept out of the squad for a couple of games whilst we try to get as much as we can go him. We'll end up selling him with about a week left before the window closes and will desperately try to get someone in on loan as cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have to remind me which scenario from our recent history you're basing this on, because I can't remember us selling a high-value player to a CL top six team in this way at any point in the last three seasons, and gawd knows we've sold a lot of players.

If you've got an comparable example in mind let me know.

@TitiCamara22: From what I'm led to believe naby has his heart set on #lfc move. Leipzig have been informed of his intent and are looking for replacement

------------------------------------------------------------

- Ex-Liverpool player talking up move? CHECK.

- Body part of player already at Liverpool? CHECK.

@TitiCamara22: From what I'm led to believe naby has his heart set on #lfc move. Leipzig have been informed of his intent and are looking for replacement

Titi used to be the Guinea National Team Coach, he knows

Murray Groves‏ @MurrayGroves 46m46 minutes ago

More

A journalist associate of mine who this morning asked van Dijk if he'd be staying with #saintsfc was met with a 'smile and a single nod'.

Murray Groves‏ @MurrayGroves 45m45 minutes ago

More

Replying to @MurrayGroves

This was of course on his return to #saintsfc pre-season this morning. Same contact also mentioned an unrecognisable player of small stature

:lol:

More

A journalist associate of mine who this morning asked van Dijk if he'd be staying with #saintsfc was met with a 'smile and a single nod'.

More

This was of course on his return to #saintsfc pre-season this morning. Same contact also mentioned an unrecognisable player of small stature

Who is this Murray Groves fella and what is a football associate? Looks like a stock image profile and not followed by anyone of note. I'd say ignore.

Who is this Murray Groves fella and what is a football associate? Looks like a stock image profile and not followed by anyone of note. I'd say ignore.

Good point, hadn't checked his account but his profile picture actually looks like a terrible photoshop :lol:

Probably should have checked him out before sharing... :blush:

"He replied with a smile and a nod"

Absolutely ridiculous. If he is staying and wants to confirm it then he could put all the speculation to rest in one shot from his twitter account. "Happy to say I'll be staying at Saints for at least another season"

He doesn't do that which of course prolongs and intensifies the speculation. If you have agreed to stay then I can't think of a reason you or the club wouldn't put all this to bed.

"He replied with a smile and a nod"

Absolutely ridiculous. If he is staying and wants to confirm it then he could put all the speculation to rest in one shot from his twitter account. "Happy to say I'll be staying at Saints for at least another season"

He doesn't do that which of course prolongs and intensifies the speculation. If you have agreed to stay then I can't think of a reason you or the club wouldn't put all this to bed.

It is useful to remember that Virgil has never said anything about leaving, so the official position is "why do I need to confirm I'm staying? Of course I am."

Now, clearly there is probably no smoke without fire, and I expect his agent and Liverpool or Chelsea have been in contact, but we don't actually KNOW anything, and I hope if Virgil does stay we let him retain the captaincy and give him all the support he had last year.

(This post could also be the kiss of death, and he puts a transfer request in tomorrow)

Good point, hadn't checked his account but his profile picture actually looks like a terrible photoshop :lol:

Probably should have checked him out before sharing... :blush:

to be fair he has come up with a few snippets before so no harm done

Staying another season is the best we can expect... But I am not relying on a 'smile and a nod' from the player. I am waiting for his agent to confirm his client is staying.

This whole situation has been agent driven, and I cannot see this club wanting to even see his agent around the place after this disruption.

More

More

Harrison Reed has had a hair cut.

I'm pretty sure that Murray Groves account is a fake...

I'm getting very bored with the thick bindippers and plastics all over Twitter who can't get it into their thick skulls that Virgil simply isn't going to be signing for them.

How hard is it for them to understand that, while the authorities said no action would be taken you can bet your last penny that, should Virgil now go and sign for Liverpool in this window the authorities will have no choice but to take action otherwise the rules will count for nothing and it will be open season for agents and clubs to do whatever they want.

I'm not discounting the idea that he may still go to another club, shouldthey meet the valuation Saints have put on him, however it's not going to be Liverpool this window.

Anyone willing to bet they make an approach in the January window?

If Virgil goes this summer it'll be for more than he's worth. It's win-win for me. He goes and we get rich or he stays and we keep our top player/captain another season.

'Rich' is a relative term in football these days.

As I've said before, even the top end £70M probably wouldn't leave us with one of the world's top CBs on a five year contract, even if we were prepared to spend the whole lot to try and do that. It's a different situation to most of the other times when we've already had replacements lined up with at least the potential to be as good or better than what we're letting go.

If Virgil goes this summer it'll be for more than he's worth. It's win-win for me. He goes and we get rich or he stays and we keep our top player/captain another season.

As I've said before, even the top end £70M probably wouldn't leave us with one of the world's top CBs on a five year contract, even if we were prepared to spend the whole lot to try and do that. It's a different situation to most of the other times when we've already had replacements lined up with at least the potential to be as good or better than what we're letting go.

Lovren-Toby-VVD-? It will take some luck for the next one to also be top class.

Lovren-Toby-VVD-? It will take some luck for the next one to also be top class.

You do realise that you used Lovren and 'top class' in the same sentence?

I guess it'd be better to say 'a significant upgrade'. All of those CB's have been a big step up from the previous (Toby is fantastic, a world class defender in my opinion, but for me Van Dijk's quality goes way beyond his ability as a defender), we will never get a better defender than Van Dijk I don't think, and in my opinion there aren't many.

You do realise that you used Lovren and 'top class' in the same sentence?

I guess it'd be better to say 'a significant upgrade'. All of those CB's have been a big step up from the previous (Toby is fantastic, a world class defender in my opinion, but for me Van Dijk's quality goes way beyond his ability as a defender), we will never get a better defender than Van Dijk I don't think, and in my opinion there aren't many.

This article more than implies that Van Dyke had not said publicly that he preferred Liverpool. All that nonsense came from Liverpool's need to boast that they were the biggest and the bestest to everyone.

There is no way we can sell them any player now after the way they treated us as if we didn't count. They even publicly bragged they had contacted the player without contacting us prior. They have probably soured the club/ fans/ VvD's relationship and caused chaos to our pre-season build up.

How in hell the FA didn't sanction them with that tacid admittance, only God knows.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/07/04/journalist-lfc-boasted-to-everybody-that-van-dijk-deal-was-done/

Edited by patred44

This article more than implies that Van Dyke had not said publicly that he preferred Liverpool. All that nonsense came from Liverpool's need to boast that they were the biggest and the bestest to everyone.

There is no way we can sell them any player now after the way they treated us as if we didn't count. They even publicly bragged they had contacted the player without contacting us prior. They have probably soured the club/ fans/ VvD's relationship and caused chaos to our pre-season build up.

How in hell the FA didn't sanction them with that tacid admittance, only God knows.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/07/04/journalist-lfc-boasted-to-everybody-that-van-dijk-deal-was-done/

Edited by patred44

It isn't down to the FA, it is the Premier League. Two different governing bodies.

(his name is van Dijk, not Van Dyke)

It isn't down to the FA, it is the Premier League. Two different governing bodies.

(his name is van Dijk, not Van Dyke)

This is based on an interview with Adam Blackmore done by a different Liverpool blog site. The interview was interesting (but short). Blackmore's a little disappointed with VVD:

I do not know, but the cryptic messages do not help. I have praised VVD for being a pro on and off the pitch in the past. But I think the cryptic messages are immature, and make him look like a spoilt footballer, and I’ve never perceived him like that.

I think he should respect the club that has put him in this shop window. When he signed from Celtic, some up in Scotland thought he was dodgy and Saints had overpaid. Like with Wanyama. He would do well to remember that.

The full interview is here. Blackmore's opinion is that VVD will stay unless he submits a transfer request.