Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Hjojberg is 21 years old so let's write him off after one season. Redmond is younger than Jack Stephens and Boufal just a couple of months older.

The idea that these great young prospects should instantly be as good as Mane at his best I find completely ridiculous. When will people on this forum realise that we didn't buy the finished product last summer but bought some really promising youngsters on long term contracts with the view to develop them and form a talented squad that will grow and progress together, a trend that continues with the signing of Bednarek.

Patience people. We're building something here.

This is the point. Mané wasn't an instant success. Romeu had an average first season. Cedric has improved massively. Van Dijk has always been good, but wasn't a £70m player instantly.

I'm hopeful that this will be Hojbjerg's breakthrough season and in a year or two we'll be laughing at those who wrote him off and fending off massive offers for him. I'd like to think the same for Boufal, but I think he's got further to go.

And it could be any one of several others - Gallagher, Sims, Hesketh, Stephens (nearly there), Redmond (not sure, but improving). Even JWP. I think the key factor is the manager recognising a player's strengths, developing them and using them by giving him a chance.

No doubt some will go forward under a new manager and, unfortunately, some will go backwards.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is the point. Mané wasn't an instant success. Romeu had an average first season. Cedric has improved massively. Van Dijk has always been good, but wasn't a £70m player instantly.

I'm hopeful that this will be Hojbjerg's breakthrough season and in a year or two we'll be laughing at those who wrote him off and fending off massive offers for him. I'd like to think the same for Boufal, but I think he's got further to go.

And it could be any one of several others - Gallagher, Sims, Hesketh, Stephens (nearly there), Redmond (not sure, but improving). Even JWP. I think the key factor is the manager recognising a player's strengths, developing them and using them by giving him a chance.

No doubt some will go forward under a new manager and, unfortunately, some will go backwards.

Added to that, it's getting the correct blend of experience and youthful exuberance in the team.

Lets face it too, if they were the finished article when we bought them they probably wouldn't have come here in the first place!

"We understand that new Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino is making his plans for the new season with Van Dijk very much in his plans, with the defender who signed a new six-year contract with Saints last summer expected to refocus his thoughts on his current employers from this point forward."

I know we all like a bit of good news. That's the first positive bit I've seen about him staying on. All spin probably but it's nice to see/read all the same.

"We understand that new Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino is making his plans for the new season with Van Dijk very much in his plans, with the defender who signed a new six-year contract with Saints last summer expected to refocus his thoughts on his current employers from this point forward."

I know we all like a bit of good news. That's the first positive bit I've seen about him staying on. All spin probably but it's nice to see/read all the same.

Someone needs to post this on the Liverpool forum. ?

This works for me. Kevin Palmer has been claiming consistently that he has a source inside the club - he's done a few stories on the VVD situation this summer.

You cannot re-open something that was never opened in the first place. Typical Yahoo crap, though to be fair it is only the headline that says this rather than the article by Kevin Palmer.

But I think further evidence has been found. Not that anything meaningful will be done

not according to the article

The Premier League confirmed it had “considered” the date change allegation as part of its tapping-up investigation, which it said was at an end.

Hjojberg is 21 years old so let's write him off after one season. Redmond is younger than Jack Stephens and Boufal just a couple of months older.

The idea that these great young prospects should instantly be as good as Mane at his best I find completely ridiculous. When will people on this forum realise that we didn't buy the finished product last summer but bought some really promising youngsters on long term contracts with the view to develop them and form a talented squad that will grow and progress together, a trend that continues with the signing of Bednarek.

Patience people. We're building something here.

Very well reasoned post.

big question is ...When are the scousers going to let it sink in and let us get on with our preseason preperations ?:?

I hope they don't give up. I hope they keep trying and thus damage their own preparations for the season as we carry on refusing to sell and get on with ours, thus leaving them to panic buy late on from another team.

Is he stirring on behalf of an agent?

Might explain the vested interest comment.

My summary of recent developments: The gutter-dwelling, Liverpool-boosting red tops reported on the comments of a Twitter user who writes under a false name. This anonymous Twitterer claimed VVD talks were back on, based on info obtained from someone not employed by either club, who has a vested interest in the talks commencing. Meanwhile a journalist who writes both for Yahoo Sports and the Irish Independent while using his real name claims talks are not on, based on information obtained from inside Southampton Football Club.

One seems a smidgeon more reliable than the other.

Where are we? I'd guess that:

Virgil has been told he's not leaving.

Probably also been told he can go next year for the right price.

He's close to accepting that and doesn't want to alienate Saints fans.

But his agent and LFC (indirectly) are still pressing him and he's tempted, but not to the point of striking or a transfer request.

So he agrees to cryptic tweets and Instagram posts, probably written. You his agent, gently probing whether he can stir something up.

I feel like I'm back in English Lit class. He took his shot, he missed. Back to business at Saints. That's my interpretation. And kudos to VVD for quoting the Great One.

Thats the näive view.

He is saying he is fully fit and in full training. We are saying he isnt playing because he isn't training fully in contact aspects of the game.

Interesting that the only other first team player not in the squad is Ryan Bertrand...

And, just supposing VVD does go on strike or asks for a transfer. The only thing that could be promoting that is LFC, and they know that they have to back off or face tapping-up charges.

Which makes me hope that this time, the Scousers won't get their own way by bullying.

His post seems to purposely contradict what club said about him being about 80%. I don't believe he has taken part in full contact training so he can't say he is back in full training yet. Not helpful from him even if his post was in good faith and had no agenda.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk[/quote

I think there is a tendency to over think all this. Fully fit is one thing, contact sport is another. He is being built up to that.

His post seems to purposely contradict what club said about him being about 80%. I don't believe he has taken part in full contact training so he can't say he is back in full training yet. Not helpful from him even if his post was in good faith and had no agenda.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk[/quote

I think there is a tendency to over think all this. Fully fit is one thing, contact sport is another. He is being built up to that.

He claims to be back in full training which is full contact. He isn't though. So he's either been a bit stupid or hes purposely being disruptive.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Thats the näive view.

He is saying he is fully fit and in full training. We are saying he isnt playing because he isn't training fully in contact aspects of the game.

Interesting that the only other first team player not in the squad is Ryan Bertrand...

Optimistic, not naive. If I looked at every bit of Saints news in its worst light I'd be bloody miserable.

I really don't think he's trying to contradict the club. He's just saying he tried, but it did not work out. The footage does not show him in training with contact.

I would be interested to know if the club authorized his use of the training footage.