Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

That's always been the issue. If VVD tries to push through a transfer now, Liverpool will likely get a transfer ban. It would be interesting to see whether they may have to pay us additional compensation as their comments and tapping up have essentially made VVD less attractive to other clubs, and driven his price down (potentially).

Yep, my feeling too. The FA will have to reopen the file at our behest. With their previous, LFC will be in deep do-do.

The only way I see this happening without pain for LFC is if Les is putting on a public act and will let him go if LFC come close to the asking price of 70m.

It's all just a big game I strongly suspect in the end VVD will go to Liverpool and the tapping up issue will be put to one side because we have extracted a price we are happy with. It's a shame as I think he could do much better than Liverpool he is the best centre back I've ever seen in a saints shirt and looks to be one of the very best players in the league his sights should be on City and Chelsea or further a field on Barca and Madrid.

If he is on strike then why is he even there, it makes no sense. Smells like the usual paper BS to me.

I'm inclined to agree. The papers will run with anything at this time of year.

I don't understand players who strike to try and force a move. They signed a contract and should be made to honour it. Otherwise, what's the point?

These refusing to play stories irritate me. I've no idea what Van Dijk actually wants, but if the rumours are true and he does want to leave, he's basically stuffed unless we agree. He shouldn't have signed a new long contract if he was getting itchy feet.

If if he only had say a year left on his contract then making a nuisance of himself might work, but even the best player in the world couldn't seriously strike for 5 years. If he plays badly and sulks for any length of time , all that will do is make him look a worse player, and eventually have the ironic effect of making him less attractive to other clubs who supposedly want him.

So, even if the want-away rumours are true, if saints play hard ball...... Tough!

my feeling exactly

I suspect liverpool have only offered around £55M anyway, they have clearly used the media to highlight that VVD only wants to join them, so there is no auction to push the price up.

As far as I know, they haven't offered anything. They were forced to back off before that could happen.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Regardless of how much we paid that is the way the football industry works. Admittedly, not the same in education but the principle is the same. Sports people do not do it for loyalty, for them it's all about winning. With respect, VVD is unlikely to win much with Saints. Support the team/club not individuals. Anyone that thinks that we will be anything other than Prem also rans is frankly barking mad. Been the same since promotion to the top flight in 66, just the goalposts have changed in the meantime. We are only in a slightly better position than we were then. If you don't like it, go and support someone else.

Self-fulfilling prophecy, if we sell all of our best players "because we won't win anything" they will always want to leave. Tbf even if we don't some of them will just want to get paid more. Actually, I'm not sure winning has anything to do with it, Kante certainly didn't care that Leicester were champions and Chelsea weren't in Europe when he left a year ago.

Also, Van Dijk might have won a League Cup last season if he'd been fit...

If he is on strike then why is he even there, it makes no sense. Smells like the usual paper BS to me.

FWIW players have to fulfil certain conditions of their employment to prevent being fined by the club. Training is one of those, so he has to be where training is taking place, which last week was Austria.

FWIW players have to fulfil certain conditions of their employment to prevent being fined by the club. Training is one of those, so he has to be where training is taking place, which last week was Austria.

True, but at the same time Sigurdsson didn't travel with Swansea as he wasn't in the best place mentally, not Barkley with Everton (albeit citing injury, however true that is).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but at the same time Sigurdsson didn't travel with Swansea as he wasn't in the best place mentally, not Barkley with Everton (albeit citing injury, however true that is).

I would suspect there are legally-difficult workarounds, physical and mental fitness being two of them.

Said this on the match thread yesterday BEFORE VVD's social media post, but I know for a fact he is agitating for a move and that move is to Liverpool. He was talking to City and Chelsea but then he spoke to Klopp and that's where he wants to go. He's on strike. This 'not ready for full contact' is completely bogus. Hence his post yesterday. Call me a WUM or whatever, but I'm telling the truth. Time to sell and replace.

This bit is true - Not sure about him being on strike, although I have been told he is 'fully fit'. It could just be that the club don't want to risk him or they are trying out other options for if or when he does leave.

Personally I'm expecting him to go and if it does, IMO, it'll be to Liverpool.

A bit of good news.... I know it's still early days, but from what I've been told (which has been very little for the past couple of months), it looks like the squad are getting on and are happy with Pellegrino.

This bit is true - Not sure about him being on strike, although I have been told he is 'fully fit'. It could just be that the club don't want to risk him or they are trying out other options for if or when he does leave.

A bit of good news.... I know it's still early days, but from what I've been told (which has been very little for the past couple of months), it looks like the squad are getting on and are happy with Pellegrino.

But is Ryan still going.. ?

Thanks for the update mate - any news from your contact on transfers?

Rather pointlessly, I had a look at what point we sold all the other defectors over the last few summer windows.

The majority of sales happened on or before 1st July and the only sales that occurred later than at this point in previous years was Lovren (27th July) and Chambers (28th July), with no major sales in August.

So, if we make it to August, then we are in the clear :D!

I've heard similar, although only as much as "he seems like a good bloke" kind of stuff, nothing very specific or interesting.

Rather pointlessly, I had a look at what point we sold all the other defectors over the last few summer windows.

The majority of sales happened on or before 1st July and the only sales that occurred later than at this point in previous years was Lovren (27th July) and Chambers (28th July), with no major sales in August.

Been thinking the same thing last few days, if we are cashing in likely it would be done soon and no evidence of any headway being made. Couldn't remember a big sale in August, thanks for the research to back it up..

Lovren only went that late because it was a World Cup summer. It takes some time to compete for Croatia in Brazil, remove your head, leave it somewhere in Liverpool and then go beaking off in the media about misplacing it in a different city.

The club still see it as a point of principle.

In effect, VvD is unsettled purely because of an illegal tapping up by Liverpool. If he were to put in a transfer request, it does nothing to change that, and accepting it would just in effect allow the tapping up to have the desired effect for Liverpool, so he'd just be throwing away his loyalty bonus for nothing.

A strike might do it, but it'd still be unlikely to get him to Liverpool, I don't think he's that sort of character, and it's not like he suddenly hates Saints all of a sudden to do that.

Edited by Jimmy_D

I cannot see Liverpool actually putting in an official offer for him. How can they after that public apology and promise to back off VvD? As others on here have said the FA would come down on them.

NO..they'll stick to this 'slow media torture' they are employing to make our club cave in and offer him to them. To this end they are calling up all their ex-players to assist them, maybe even VvD to scare off other rival bids by intimating he will go nowhere else but Liverpool.

Liverpool are as slippery as a bunch of eels, and underhanded.

Having already spoken to Liverpool, we don't know how much Van Dijk, and his agent, has been offered as a package deal to make sure he goes to Anfield ? It could well compensate for getting a lower fee percentage, or even losing his loyalty bonus if he had to request a transfer.

Are people actually obsessing about this in their sleep?

He isn't leaving anytime soon so why all the worry and sleepless nights?

I agree on not having sleepless nights over it but I don't feel as confident as you that he won't go this summer but I'll be delighted if he doesn't.

Are people actually obsessing about this in their sleep?

He isn't leaving anytime soon so why all the worry and sleepless nights?

Well I'm certainly not worried by it, if he stays, so much the better, if he leaves we'll get a shedload of money and get someone else. He's a good player but there are plenty of others who have the potential to be equally good. We did Ok without him for the last what 4 months of last season so if we have 50 or so million to spend on a creative number 10 and another decent striker I'd not be that sad. VvD has become a cult figure here, if it weren't for all the Liverpool stuff many might see it as I do.

I can actually see him going to Liverpool and all of that recent stand off was a face saving exercise by us. If he goes there, we'll look ridiculous in my opinion.

Won't be anything really new for us though will it. Need to get richer owners and more success, that's how we'll keep our better players. Other than that we just need to accept that we're a run of the mill, top half of the PL club and let every first class player move on when he gets a chance to better himself.

hadn't thought of that. Much more appealing, and would irritate the super-entitled Kop

If you read the article I posted about transfers and how they work you will note that swap deals are a myth and very rarely happen due to the sheer complexity of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway Liverpool will have to move on to other targets soon if they're not convinced that they're going to be able to sign VvD .

Can't start the season with just Lovren and those other 2 blokes. Unless of course Klopp is prepared to back down on Sakho but I really don't see that happening, which is silly on his part. Sakho is a far better defender than all but Lovren.

Anyway Liverpool will have to move on to other targets soon if they're not convinced that they're going to be able to sign VvD .

Can't start the season with just Lovren and those other 2 blokes. Unless of course Klopp is prepared to back down on Sakho but I really don't see that happening, which is silly on his part. Sakho is a far better defender than all but Lovren.

so would you take Sakho as part of our team?............

I cannot see Liverpool actually putting in an official offer for him. How can they after that public apology and promise to back off VvD? As others on here have said the FA would come down on them.

NO..they'll stick to this 'slow media torture' they are employing to make our club cave in and offer him to them. To this end they are calling up all their ex-players to assist them, maybe even VvD to scare off other rival bids by intimating he will go nowhere else but Liverpool.

Liverpool are as slippery as a bunch of eels, and underhanded.

Having already spoken to Liverpool, we don't know how much Van Dijk, and his agent, has been offered as a package deal to make sure he goes to Anfield ? It could well compensate for getting a lower fee percentage, or even losing his loyalty bonus if he had to request a transfer.

This.

I'm guessing LFC are in a quandary, and that is why Klopp is talking about a "complicated" window.

They are so used to their normal pattern of tapping-up, media pressure to unsettle the home fans and create animosity towards the player, agent pressure on the player to make him unsettled too, including putting transfer request and striking, lots of contact from current and past players.

But our complaint has put a spanner in the works. They've had to agree to back off, so they can't really make a formal offer. If VVD takes any action to force a move, it confirms he knows they still want him and implies further illegal contact. Any comment or pressure has to kept clearly removed from the club. So it's clear they're frustrated. This hasn't happened before.

If they ask permission to speak, we can say no and point out they've supposedly backed off. I think that the only way this could move is if Saints initiate it. And if they don't want to sell, why would they?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can actually see him going to Liverpool and all of that recent stand off was a face saving exercise by us. If he goes there, we'll look ridiculous in my opinion.

If that's what is going to happen, we will have to own up SOON, and take actions SOON.

We will need time to sign a reasonable, good replacement, not just an up and coming youngsters. Last seasons standins will not be good enough for a whole season. We were promised a replacement for Fonte, that has not happened. We cannot keep selling our best players without it effecting performances on the pitch. And if we fold on the VvD transfer, what happens with Ryan Bertrand, and Cedric? We can hardly make a stand with them after rolling over for VvD.

And, how will Pelligrino take it? Not too well I imagine!!

As for the clubs image, we will look silly and shallow if we do a U turn

And, could we ever trust Les Reed & co. again? What makes our club think we can be treated like that? Kept in the dark, virtually lied to as to our intentions in this summers window.

STH's may as well address their renewal payments directly to Anfield Liverpool ! Swap our red white scarves for the red and white ones of Liverpool, worship Stevie Gerrard.....makes me want to spit

NO...Les Reed will have to tough it it out now, or it could led to his departure.

Edited by patred44

Certainly, better than Yoshida, Stevens, New bloke or the Invisible Man. Don't really see what people's beef is with him.

Part of what we look at when signing a player is his character, and the odd times we've taken a risk and gone against that (Osvaldo in particular) it's not worked out too well.

From the little I've heard he has a pretty horrendous attitude off the pitch.

Part of what we look at when signing a player is his character, and the odd times we've taken a risk and gone against that (Osvaldo in particular) it's not worked out too well.

From the little I've heard he has a pretty horrendous attitude off the pitch.

And MLT of course was of the most disciplined kind off the pitch. A player's value can only be judged on the field of play. If what he does there is generally impeccable then the rest just doesn't matter.

And MLT of course was of the most disciplined kind off the pitch. A player's value can only be judged on the field of play. If what he does there is generally impeccable then the rest just doesn't matter.

Considering it's his off field attitude that's stopping Liverpool from using him, I'd say it has some bearing.

Not sure you can say what Sakho does on the pitch is generally impeccable...

Considering it's his off field attitude that's stopping Liverpool from using him, I'd say it has some bearing.

Perhaps they are just plain wrong in that sense. They don't seem to mind being less than whiter than white in many aspects and yet a good player who has some sort of disciplinary problem is chucked into the waste bin illico; Then again it's Liverpool where murky is the new clear. I'm not really a fan of Klopp, he's an OK manager but sometimes he seems to act like one of the lads and anyone who doesn't fit in just doesn't fit in.

Perhaps they are just plain wrong in that sense. They don't seem to mind being less than whiter than white in many aspects and yet a good player who has some sort of disciplinary problem is chucked into the waste bin illico; Then again it's Liverpool where murky is the new clear. I'm not really a fan of Klopp, he's an OK manager but sometimes he seems to act like one of the lads and anyone who doesn't fit in just doesn't fit in.

'Perhaps he's ok under a different manager' is what stung us with Osvaldo. We already have VvD who we know is ok off the pitch. And about twice as good on it.

I'd rather take the risk of VvD playing ok like Wanyama and Schneiderlin did while we use our scouts to find a better replacement than Sakho.

Certainly, better than Yoshida, Stevens, New bloke or the Invisible Man. Don't really see what people's beef is with him.

His wages are outside of Saints' wage structure. When he was rumoured to be coming here in January as a Fonte replacement, he was reputedly on a six figure salary per week. Also Liverpool have overvalued him considering that he's no longer part of Klopp's plans, has had disciplinary issues, his bizarre drug ban before the Europa League Cup final, limited first team opportunities with Liverpool last season, and they want to get rid of him.

His wages are outside of Saints' wage structure. When he was rumoured to be coming here in January as a Fonte replacement, he was reputedly on a six figure salary per week. Also Liverpool have overvalued him considering that he's no longer part of Klopp's plans, has had disciplinary issues, his bizarre drug ban before the Europa League Cup final, limited first team opportunities with Liverpool last season, and they want to get rid of him.

The drug ban was totally messed up, there was no need to suspend him because the plant product Higenamine wasn't on the banned list and not really part of any group of products on the banned list. Liverpool were of course miffed because he didn't tell them he was using the fat burner, don't doubt that the French FA knew though, it's not the first time that they've acted independently.

The drug ban was totally messed up, there was no need to suspend him because the plant product Higenamine wasn't on the banned list and not really part of any group of products on the banned list. Liverpool were of course miffed because he didn't tell them he was using the fat burner, don't doubt that the French FA knew though, it's not the first time that they've acted independently.

It was definitely a strange situation.

If that's what is going to happen, we will have to own up SOON, and take actions SOON.

We will need time to sign a reasonable, good replacement, not just an up and coming youngsters. Last seasons standins will not be good enough for a whole season. We were promised a replacement for Fonte, that has not happened. We cannot keep selling our best players without it effecting performances on the pitch. And if we fold on the VvD transfer, what happens with Ryan Bertrand, and Cedric? We can hardly make a stand with them after rolling over for VvD.

And, how will Pelligrino take it? Not too well I imagine!!

As for the clubs image, we will look silly and shallow if we do a U turn

And, could we ever trust Les Reed & co. again? What makes our club think we can be treated like that? Kept in the dark, virtually lied to as to our intentions in this summers window.

STH's may as well address their renewal payments directly to Anfield Liverpool ! Swap our red white scarves for the red and white ones of Liverpool, worship Stevie Gerrard.....makes me want to spit

NO...Les Reed will have to tough it it out now, or it could led to his departure.

The curious thing is, you sound surprised.