Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

VVD was mentioned by footy agent Phil Smith, who was on Talksport for an hour with Simon Jordan and Danny Kelly this evening. Made for a good listen actually: Jordan clearly dislikes agents, and though I hate to say it, is pretty interesting.

The agent guy was asked about agents having a vested interest in trying to get their clients to move, in order to get the big pay-day that goes with negotiating a deal. He answered by starting: "Well, take VVD for example...."

Not sure if the audio was dropped, but he didn't get beyond saying that. Although VVDs name came up later on too (couldn't hear the context.....car full of noisy women!)

Perhaps nothing groundbreaking here......but I found it interesting.

Never thought I'd see the day I agree with something Simon Jordan says: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/630410/Virgil-van-Dijk-Liverpool-Southampton-Reds-Anfield-Jurgen-Klopp-Transfer-News-Gossip

Just to note as well Sigurdsson didn't even go on Swansea's pre-season trip because his 'head wasnt right' but apparently Virgil is on strike but still travelled to Austria? Yeh that makes no sense. Wouldn't be awkward at all.

Just to note as well Sigurdsson didn't even go on Swansea's pre-season trip because his 'head wasnt right' but apparently Virgil is on strike but still travelled to Austria? Yeh that makes no sense. Wouldn't be awkward at all.

He can still be chummy with the players, courteous to the coaching staff but still want out.

We had about 6 months of no interviews, but professional play from our old captain last season.

Certainly, better than Yoshida, Stevens, New bloke or the Invisible Man. Don't really see what people's beef is with him.

Probably LFC valuing him at 30 million yet would rather play people out of position than use him?

Do they see him as damaged goods or bad influence.?

They can't be seen to calling the shots of overpricing somebody they want shot of, and at the same time undervalue somebody they are gagging for it to have.

Phuck em.

I have no idea why the coaching staff would want a player who wants out of the club and is on strike, on the tour. Totally counter-productive. You'd send him home reminding him he's got 5 years left on his contract and he'll be a bigger help than he knows helping the U23s out. Oh, and if he can get to the ground there are some 1st team boots that need cleaning.

I have no idea why the coaching staff would want a player who wants out of the club and is on strike, on the tour. Totally counter-productive. You'd send him home reminding him he's got 5 years left on his contract and he'll be a bigger help than he knows helping the U23s out. Oh, and if he can get to the ground there are some 1st team boots that need cleaning.

If VvD was on strike we wouldn't be seeing him in training videos :lol:

That much at least is utter ********.

He's not 'on strike'. If he was he would be 'frustrating' his contract and the club could hit him big!

The. Latest info cones from that doyen of info the Sun.Liverpool fans won't wipe their back ends with it so why believe 'the Club' is talking to them.Yet another fishing expedition by an Agent.

This has all the hallmarks of a prolonged sense of hope that little old us might actually be able to hold on to a good player, dashed by the last minute acceptance of moolah over ambition.

People are asking why VVD hasn't come out and spoken of his desire "not to leave". Perhaps the situation is that he does want to leave, but isn't desperate to. In that situation, it doesn't make sense for him to announce he's staying if there's still a chance of a move (imagine the wrath from supporters if he did that, a la Fabian Delph), but equally, if he knows he is staying and is prepared to get on with it, why does he need to make a statement? Yes it makes the Saints fans a little uneasy, but it also keeps all these pathetic scousers on the hook, and even LFC are hesitating on doing business because they think they can get him. Probably does more to unsettle them than it does us.

Obviously this post is written with more than a dash of hope!

People are asking why VVD hasn't come out and spoken of his desire "not to leave". Perhaps the situation is that he does want to leave, but isn't desperate to. In that situation, it doesn't make sense for him to announce he's staying if there's still a chance of a move (imagine the wrath from supporters if he did that, a la Fabian Delph), but equally, if he knows he is staying and is prepared to get on with it, why does he need to make a statement? Yes it makes the Saints fans a little uneasy, but it also keeps all these pathetic scousers on the hook, and even LFC are hesitating on doing business because they think they can get him. Probably does more to unsettle them than it does us.

He could just say, I am looking forward to the new season, we have a strong squad blah blah, like the new manager, happy to be here etc. If he does such interview it would help stop all this gossip.

He could just say, I am looking forward to the new season, we have a strong squad blah blah, like the new manager, happy to be here etc. If he does such interview it would help stop all this gossip.

Because if Liverpool slap in a £100m bid, we'd accept it.

VVD could put stories to bed but perhaps he doesnt want to.

Situation is probably this...

If he gets his move great, if he doesn't he will be professional *****il next summer)

Why is he angling for a move anyway? MONEY!!

If i was offered a chance to double my wages id be agitating for a move too.

I imagine the compromise is the £2m retention bonus someone else mentioned.

If hes on 90k a week here (4.7m a year) and Liverpool have offered 180k pw (9.4m a year) the £2m (possibly tax free) retention will keep him sweet for another year.

I must have missed something. Nowhere in that article does it say we are "hopeful". Confident, and adamant(*2), but nothing about hopeful.

And if he goes it's going to cost them every penny of our asking price and probably then some. We have them over a barrel I reckon and I don't see VvD kicking off enough to change that.

Time will tell.

VVD could put stories to bed but perhaps he doesnt want to.

Situation is probably this...

If he gets his move great, if he doesn't he will be professional *****il next summer)

Why is he angling for a move anyway? MONEY!!

If i was offered a chance to double my wages id be agitating for a move too.

I imagine the compromise is the £2m retention bonus someone else mentioned.

If hes on 90k a week here (4.7m a year) and Liverpool have offered 180k pw (9.4m a year) the £2m (possibly tax free) retention will keep him sweet for another year.

There's absolutely no chance at all we'll be paying him extra to honour his current contract.

If i'm being honest, I'm past the point of caring if he leaves, in fact I think we should sell, however I'll be really ****ed off if/when we sell to Liverpool.

If I was Les or the board, I'd say to VVD you can go, should we receive an offer of £70-£75m, however you will go to Liverpool under no circumstances.

If he then decides to throw his toys out of the pram, I'd point him in the direction of Berahino who was on the brink of joining Tottenham, but after a poor season or two is now at Stoke.

If that's what is going to happen, we will have to own up SOON, and take actions SOON.

We will need time to sign a reasonable, good replacement, not just an up and coming youngsters. Last seasons standins will not be good enough for a whole season. We were promised a replacement for Fonte, that has not happened. We cannot keep selling our best players without it effecting performances on the pitch. And if we fold on the VvD transfer, what happens with Ryan Bertrand, and Cedric? We can hardly make a stand with them after rolling over for VvD.

And, how will Pelligrino take it? Not too well I imagine!!

As for the clubs image, we will look silly and shallow if we do a U turn

And, could we ever trust Les Reed & co. again? What makes our club think we can be treated like that? Kept in the dark, virtually lied to as to our intentions in this summers window.

STH's may as well address their renewal payments directly to Anfield Liverpool ! Swap our red white scarves for the red and white ones of Liverpool, worship Stevie Gerrard.....makes me want to spit

NO...Les Reed will have to tough it it out now, or it could led to his departure.

This

If i'm being honest, I'm past the point of caring if he leaves, in fact I think we should sell, however I'll be really ****ed off if/when we sell to Liverpool.

If I was Les or the board, I'd say to VVD you can go, should we receive an offer of £70-£75m, however you will go to Liverpool under no circumstances.

If he then decides to throw his toys out of the pram, I'd point him in the direction of Berahino who was on the brink of joining Tottenham, but after a poor season or two is now at Stoke.

This. Anyone but Liverpool. If we sell to them, we will look absolutely pathetic.

I'm bored of it now anyway, hopefully Chelsea or City will give us £80 million and we can all forget about it.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/07/18/klopp-laments-crazy-england-laughs-that-nobodies-cost-25m/

Aww, seems like it's starting to be that poor old Liverpool can't just outspend other clubs to get better than them any more.

Of course, rather than seeing it as leading to healthy competition in the Premier League, they see it as the Premier League shooting itself in the foot.

I mean, just imagine how terrible it would be if Liverpool started to slip even further down the league...

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2017/07/18/klopp-laments-crazy-england-laughs-that-nobodies-cost-25m/

Aww, seems like it's starting to be that poor old Liverpool can't just outspend other clubs to get better than them any more.

Of course, rather than seeing it as leading to healthy competition in the Premier League, they see it as the Premier League shooting itself in the foot.

I mean, just imagine how terrible it would be if Liverpool started to slip even further down the league...

Ha, it's just ridiculous isn't it? "These small clubs don't need our money any more, isn't it dreadful?"

However, the Premier League will probably think Klopp has a point, and look for a way to redress the balance soon.

I must have missed something. Nowhere in that article does it say we are "hopeful". Confident, and adamant(*2), but nothing about hopeful.

And if he goes it's going to cost them every penny of our asking price and probably then some. We have them over a barrel I reckon and I don't see VvD kicking off enough to change that.

Time will tell.

Yep, but just the asking price. We've put a price on his head, and whether it's Liverpool or someone else, if it's matched, he'll go. We're well past talking about VVD as a £50million player - the Telegraph had an article rating him as the 13th best centre back in world football and he's still only just turned 26. If they really, really wanted him, they'd pay the money. Put up or shut up, and quit moaning about it in the newspapers. IF we don't get a bid we want, I think he'll stay for the next season. Personally I'd rather we never sold to Liverpool ever again after their tapping up revelations, but football is a business, and I suppose if we ever wanted a player from them it'd be wise not to close that avenue. Personally I'd sell him if we get anywhere close to the £70 million (I'm talking £65 million+) and reinvest - who knows how good he'll be after his injury or whether he'll be fully committed to the club all season.

Anyway, I've got a source that tells me Juventus's interest in VVD is true and they are seriously contemplating bidding for him to replace Bonucci. Let's hope that occurs. I'd love seeing Juventus at one of the giants of world football. (Not clubs clinging on to former glories from 30 years ago.:lol:)

(The last paragraph was written purely to wind up Liverpool fans. Don't take it to heart.)

:)

The fact is there ARE bargains still to be had and for good young players too, it's just that the big clubs are under pressure to pay big money to appease the fan base who want instant success. Will Hughes and Chalobah will be bargains for Watford for about £5 million each, Murphy at £12million will be for Newcastle IMO, I could go on. (To be honest I'm surprised the big 4/5/6 didn't break off and form their own Super league with the other big European clubs years ago such is their contempt for us smaller clubs.)

There were some interesting points in the Echo article:

- VVD is not acting up behind the scenes and pushing for a move

- £60M is not enough to tempt Saints

Since Liverpool's apology last month, nothing has materially happened concerning VVD's potential transfer, except for speculation.

Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Virgil happy to stay with us but Liverpool leave it too late to get another target in because of their own sense of self importance!

Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Virgil happy to stay with us but Liverpool leave it too late to get another target in because of their own sense of self importance!

Worth pointing out Liverpool seemingly still haven't made a bid for him.

Lol I think someone needs to add up the transfers Liverpool have made, say, over the last few managers...they have spent sums we could only dream of.

The blokes a *****.

You really are a piece of work. I really wish the mods had a backbone, and got rid of you and your various aliases.

Calm down, it's an internet forum with different points of view. To be honest, I look for his posts as they always have a little 'edge' to them. Nope, keep them coming Hels/Glasgow or whatever you call yourself:)

Don't really see Liverpool persisting with this. The price is too high and we don't want to sell anyway. So they've either to make Klopp get along with Sakho, which in my view is the most sensible option, or find another top CB available for a reasonable price. My money would be on 40/45 million for Varane.

Edited by Window Cleaner