Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Big assumption. Unlikely to do so, currently 4th in their group, 6 points behind France with 5 to play, 3 points against Luxembourg on Friday might help I suppose given the top 2 (France & Sweden) play each other the same night.

Poor choice of words by me - I knew they were not in an ideal position. I tend to follow their qualifying games on the telly in the hopes that they get desperate and pinch Koeman off Everton.

Poor choice of words by me - I knew they were not in an ideal position. I tend to follow their qualifying games on the telly in the hopes that they get desperate and pinch Koeman off Everton.

He'll only leave if they offer more money. That's his only motivation.

The one thing that connects this episode and those similar in the previous two years is that ALL the players WANT to leave.

I know player loyalty ( apart from bad ones that would struggle elsewhere ) is a thing of the past, but I do think that we have been unlucky with the character quality of these players in recent years.

The one thing that connects this episode and those similar in the previous two years is that ALL the players WANT to leave.

I know player loyalty ( apart from bad ones that would struggle elsewhere ) is a thing of the past, but I do think that we have been unlucky with the character quality of these players in recent years.

Put yourself in their shoes......I will use Bertrand as the figures have been quoted recently (whether they are true is another thing). Saints pay him £55k per week. Man City offering £110k per week. Do you turn that down?

As I said on another thread, the only way that we are ever going to keep our players is if there is a wage cap at a level that is within our reach.

What's striking from reading the rival forums is the firm belief that we sell out of choice, not simply because we're powerless to fend off the big boys.

Complete contrast to this place where even the whiff of a link to one of our players is greeted with resignation that nothing can be done. Guess some find that comforting. It's clear that other fans find that attitude exasperating and basically soppy b*****ks.

Edited by shurlock

What's striking from reading the rival forums is the firm belief that we sell out of choice, not simply because we're powerless to fend off the big boys.

Complete contrast to this place where even the whiff of a link to one of our players is greeted with resignation that nothing can be done. Guess some find that comforting. It's clear that other fans find that attitude exasperating and basically soppy b*****ks.

So what can be done?

Isn't the truth somewhere in between? We have said no in the past and if your dealing with one player you can manage the situation as a club. When you have 3-4 can you afford to have the much negativity in the squad if you say no to all of them? West broms handling of Berhino didn't exactly go well for them on the other hand ditching that little ***** Lovern worked out ok for us. In the end it probably comes down to the personality of the player some will accept being told no buckle down and play well for you like Morgan. Others will possibly just stop trying and bring the mood of the squad down (allegedly Fonte).

We shouldn't look to sell every time by any means but we shouldn't be looking to hold onto everyone as a matter of misplaced pride either. Most importantly if we do sell we need to replace well.

Well I'm glad you see through it as some still don't.

This is a completely orchestrated drama to give the perception that, once again, we tried everything we could to keep the player. If you read between the lines of any club piece, especially in The Echo, then it's glaringly obvious. The most recent interview with Romeu is the most telling. He's the one that'll likely inherit VVDs captaincy, one of our most popular players and they have him insinuating that our better players may have to leave. Then the rollercoaster begins... it's on, it's off, it's someone else, then we cry foul.

Reed et al have known for weeks. It's just all posturing - we're not engaged in some holy battle with a big bully boy, the nuts and bolts of this transfer is sorted...

Are you mad?

We all know, and accept that VvD is going to be off. That is not the problem, and I don't think the club would be bothered to throw up some smoke screen to cover him going.

The issue is that he could go to Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd or may even abroad for what is being touted at 60-70 million. Liverpool want him for £50 million, so have tapped him up to make it a done deal and save themselves from a bidding war and an extra 20 million.

Fair play to the Club for reporting them, and I hope he DOESN'T got the Liverpool, and I hope they get some sanctions.

Why can't you get what the issue is. We know he'll go, and have known for over a year. We just want top dollar, and Liverpool are trying to rip us off, AND ****ing over the other interested teams to boot.

Are you mad?

We all know, and accept that VvD is going to be off. That is not the problem, and I don't think the club would be bothered to throw up some smoke screen to cover him going.

The issue is that he could go to Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd or may even abroad for what is being touted at 60-70 million. Liverpool want him for £50 million, so have tapped him up to make it a done deal and save themselves from a bidding war and an extra 20 million.

Fair play to the Club for reporting them, and I hope he DOESN'T got the Liverpool, and I hope they get some sanctions.

Why can't you get what the issue is. We know he'll go, and have known for over a year. We just want top dollar, and Liverpool are trying to rip us off, AND ****ing over the other interested teams to boot.

Today's article in the Echo suggests that the club is very reluctant to do business with Liverpool now, and Adam Blackmore tweeted something similar yesterday. I hope Saints continue with this attitude.

Liverpool FC statement

Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs.

We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk.

We respect Southampton's position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.

Source: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/265720-liverpool-fc-statement

Games?

Edited by SuperSAINT

SSN interpreting it as that's that - whether they have truly ended their interest in VVD remains to be seen. A fairly unprecedented statement, and one can't help but wonder what the angle is.

I reckon they were told they had to drop it or face the consequences and, given its such an important window for them, they decided on the offer of dropping interest. Could be wrong but can't see any other benefit for them making that public announcement.

SSN interpreting it as that's that - whether they have truly ended their interest in VVD remains to be seen. A fairly unprecedented statement, and one can't help but wonder what the angle is.

Put simply it's a message to the player, "sorry we can't sign you in the way we wanted to, so its up to you now to throw a tantrum to get your move..."

VVD will be back on the menu for the other interested clubs but still...wow. The folks in my office have been wondering why I've been laughing for the last five minutes (I've been on RAWK).

Liverpool got caught with their hands in the cookie jar...I'm guessing they made this announcement, and in return Saints won't pursue the illegal approach complaint.

I hope we still report them to the PL as nothing has changed.

Looking at that independent report, it looks like Liverpool approached us, we said no (probably ***** off, not to you) and they've decided to leave it.... for now.

Still a lot more to come on this one I suspect, but I would say City are now very much in the driving seat... match our valuation, and he's yours, pep.

VVD will be back on the menu for the other interested clubs but still...wow. The folks in my office have been wondering why I've been laughing for the last five minutes (I've been on RAWK).

Liverpool got caught with their hands in the cookie jar...I'm guessing they made this announcement, and in return Saints won't pursue the illegal approach complaint.

Black armbands and floral tributes at the ready!!!

Get your money city. According to a Liverpool media officer who I know he says that VVD has chosen man city. Not sure I would risk too much on it though as he has been wrong before. Who knows.

Seems my guy could be right. Apparently Liverpool can't match the city terms.

:lol:

About bloody time the tapping up rules showed some teeth!

Gerrard making that statement today about VvD can't have helped, considering he's a Liverpool employee and not just an ex-player, especially as it was after we complained about the tapping up.

This is absolutely brilliant.

Saints obviously had them over a barrel and demanded they make a grovelling, schoolboy like apology just to humiliate themselves further. Couldn't happen to a bigger bunch of ****s.

Their forum is funny. Plenty of goons saying he's not even that good which is strange he because those of us who have watched him closely know he's probably too good for them.

He'll still leave, but this has really made me chuckle.