Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

If it was me personally, I'd be telling he can move on a free in five years time, but I'm not sure the team would end up better off by doing that...

Absolutely. Tell his agent that his client has two choices: get his act together and honour his contract signed in good faith, or not play professional football again until he's 31.

It'd be nice if we were as ruthless and principaled as that. But we're not, and he'll end up at Liverpool and the same thing will keep happening again and again.

I hope he's being fined all his wages while he's "on strike" I wouldn't get paid if I refused to carry out my duties at work so neither should a millionaire footballer!

What would he care about that. Clubs can impose a fine of a maximum 2 week pay on players, don't know if the fine is renewable though. Van Dijk has more money at the bank than the club possibly and will gain a whole lot more when he's transferred.

So he refuses to play we refuse to pay him and he can't play for anyone else we do hold all the cards but the club has to have the balls to see it through and not cave.

And with every day that passes his value sinks. If he's willing to hold out for a season, and let's face it the Dutch have no chance of being at WC 2018, he'll be worth coppers and we'll have lost out big time. Holding on to a player who's determined not to play for you is suicidal if said player is worth hoards of cash.

You must feel like a right t*t now. Well moderated.

Pfft, he has a history of winding people up with crap like that and it's not always been right. Wouldn't surprise me if he's guessed on this too from VVD's twitter and happened to be right this time.

And with every day that passes his value sinks. If he's willing to hold out for a season, and let's face it the Dutch have no chance of being at WC 2018, he'll be worth coppers and we'll have lost out big time. Holding on to a player who's determined not to play for you is suicidal if said player is worth hoards of cash.

How will he be worth ''coppers'' in a year? I'd expect us to ask for even more next summer, he'll still have 4 years to run.

Pellegrino came across that gaining my respect times a million!

As for VVD, do not cave in pls Les. Morgan had this episode for a week too and came out with that infamous tweet.

Next year, sure, VVD can leave with my blessing if a club meets our valuation- it isn't too late for him to sort his act together given it is only pre season.

On an aside, can we now accuse the scousers of tapping up and the effect it has had...

Pfft, he has a history of winding people up with crap like that and it's not always been right. Wouldn't surprise me if he's guessed on this too from VVD's twitter and happened to be right this time.

It's OK to just admit you were wrong and apologise.

Like the way Pellegrino dealt with it.

We will have known this would happen so will be interesting how long we will wait for his attitude to change bearing in mind that if we were to sell we need to replace VVD which wouldn't be easy towards the end of the window. With him our defensive options look good. Without him they look very ropey.

Certainly hard to see much other than Yoshida and Stephens for the first few games of the season as this will likely go on til end of August.

Ultimately though, sell to Liverpool and the club lose a lot of credibility.

One other possibility: Pellegrino may prefer having the money to spend.

Fair points... Vvd needs to know - someone comes up with 75m cash he can go. Otherwise he is in the reassies - your choice - there isn't a queue at the door after all!

Agree we lose credibility selling to Liverpool at all let alone for less than the price demanded....

Can someone organise a petition that we can all sign asking the club not to sell him to Liverpool? I think they need to know how the fanbase feels.

Maybe a season-long loan to Brighton instead?

Or failing that, how about a protest march starting on the Itchen Bridge before the Augsburg friendly and ending up in, er, I dunno, the pub?

Absolutely. If he refuses to play, we fine him 100% of wages and give no access to training facilities.

He's still contracted to us and stays and rots until we decide to let him go.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We are contractually obliged to let him train, we went through that with Puncheon, it's called restriction of trade. He can be made to train on his own, training with the lower age groups is a bit tricky, you aren't allowed to humiliate him in any way or ostracise him. Anyway all of this will depend exactly what his much famed contract actually states, could be that he can't be made to play in the unders or train with rhe ladies.

Edited by Window Cleaner

MP words show strong leadership. No surprise to see this from VVD.

Hope he can get his head right but this probably ends one way.

No problem with him leaving but feel modern day Liverpool below his level as are we.

As many have said, we will look like clowns if we sell to them now. However I expect we will.

Can someone organise a petition that we can all sign asking the club not to sell him to Liverpool? I think they need to know how the fanbase feels.

Maybe a season-long loan to Brighton instead?

Or failing that, how about a protest march starting on the Itchen Bridge before the Augsburg friendly and ending up in, er, I dunno, the pub?

Player can't be loaned out against his will, unless it actually says in his contract that he can, which won't be the case here I'm sure.

Guys lets not start apologising for slating people who turn out to be right, this would become an apologists forum :lol: (egg you could be next in line for an apology)

Lets do what normally happens, falsely accuse someone, disappear for a few days and then come back like nothing has happened.

I really do not want him to play for Southampton again. He has shown total disrespect. However if we sell him now it will send out the wrong messages to the players and other clubs.

But I ask one big question of the supporters on here. If you had an opportunity to double your wages, be part of a bigger audience and more riches that might follow, just for doing the same job with the same risks what would you decide?

The club have a massive decision to make because £50m + is a great return on our investment. I am happy to leave it with them. I will support any decision they make on this issue.

He should be stripped of the captaincy immediately, the club made the mistake keeping Fonte as captain when his toys went out the pram. I know the modern game is full of mercenaries, but this type of role needs to be earned.

Personally I'd give it to Romeu.

He GETS it with Southampton.

So who is going to be the first to apologies to Tom?

I can claim to be the first one to have acknowledged that Tom was correct.

It still doesn't hurt to be sceptical though :)

And given that Tom had been completely wrong on this very topic only a few weeks ago, people had every right to be sceptical.

Edited by Pamplemousse

Has he handed in a transfer request then? Seems a bit rich (maybe literally) to say you want to leave but not officially make a request forgoing any bonuses or cut of the sale.

We probably have enough money to sign a replacement if need be, next year he'll still have 4 (?) years left on his contract, so still worth a lot of money. Given the acceleration of transfer fees, probably not much less than we can get now, especially if a few more clubs end up being interested. Maybe one or two will be desperate in January.

When a footballer signs a contract, they have to appreciate that it is essentially a promise to play for the club for that period of time. If we want van Dijk to play for us for the next five years, we should be able to make that happen, because he's agreed to it and is being paid handsomely for that agreement.

Football is already, but becoming ever more so f**king vacuous I do wonder what the point is. Gradually the people that football really matters to are being sidelined in favour of those who have it as a hobby.

Personally I'd give it to Romeu.

He GETS it with Southampton.

Unfortunately that's exactly the trap we fans fall into. Romeu seems like a decent guy, but I'm going to stop short of thinking he's different to all the rest, it only ends in a sense of betrayal!

I really do not want him to play for Southampton again. He has shown total disrespect. However if we sell him now it will send out the wrong messages to the players and other clubs.

But I ask one big question of the supporters on here. If you had an opportunity to double your wages, be part of a bigger audience and more riches that might follow, just for doing the same job with the same risks what would you decide?

The club have a massive decision to make because £50m + is a great return on our investment. I am happy to leave it with them. I will support any decision they make on this issue.

Happy to see him play for saints again, if he gets his head re-screwed on.

I'd be lambasting my agent for convincing me to sign a long term contract with no releases but not sulking.

Couldn't care less about return on investment, especially as a fair chunk will go to Celtic anyway. Do care about how losing our best centre back and having to panic buy a poorer replacement at vastly over inflated last minute prices would affect our season.

Club simply put have to hold firm this season.

Unfortunately that's exactly the trap we fans fall into. Romeu seems like a decent guy, but I'm going to stop short of thinking he's different to all the rest, it only ends in a sense of betrayal!

He'll probably move on at some point in the future, but he's still the best choice for it now I reckon.

I hope he's being fined all his wages while he's "on strike" I wouldn't get paid if I refused to carry out my duties at work so neither should a millionaire footballer!

This

This is now about more than just VVD and Southampton. If the club caves in from their stance and let him go it will send out a message to every single player who wants to leave any club. If they hold firm and maintain he sorts his head out as he is not for sale that sends out a positive message for all clubs in this very situation.

Its about time these bloody petulant child like footballers are introduced to the word no !

This

It's not just about van Dijk and this window or this season though.

We've suffered more than most from tapping up, usually to Liverpool. If we can do something about that we'll be far better off for it.

This

Agreed. Exactly what I said a few hundred posts back. It's like a two-year-old having tantrums. "I want!"

and this.

Les needs to be firm on this. VvD says he wants to move, yet we haven't received any bids for him. No doubt we have told him how much we want in order to facilitate his sale. Unless we are offered that fee he goes nowhere. If he doesn't want to play, he shouldn't be paid. The only slightly worrying thing is if we receive an acceptable bid too late to bring in a decent replacement (Sakho is NOT a decent replacement).

Even if any transfer were to happen the club need to make sure they can get all their incoming transfer business done beforehand. Make the dippers wait until then and that's obviously only if they meet the 70-75M pricetag. If that doesn't happen then VVD stays.

Personally I'd keep him anyway - he'll get over his little strop, come out with some PR friendly guff to get the fans back on side and everything will be fine again.

Has he handed in a transfer request then? Seems a bit rich (maybe literally) to say you want to leave but not officially make a request forgoing any bonuses or cut of the sale.

That's it for me. I think the club should impose two criteria.

Not only must the buyers meet our valuation, but VvD must formally request a transfer.

If the club wants to make a point that will stand the test of time in this world of self-serving agents and players without any loyalty, that's the way to do it.

He's a turd. It's been common knowledge for months that went and met another clubs manager whilst we're paying for his rehab... it's only now he's getting both barrels from fans.

Irrespective, he's a bigger pr1ck than I thought: 6 year bumper deal, captaincy injury and rehab, backstabbing Saints during that period then refusing to play because he doesn't get his way.... AND a gutless bottlejob when it comes to handing in a transfer request and foregoing a "loyalty" bonus. A proper c()nts trick.

This situation is now bigger than both he club and Virgil, like someone else mentioned above: standing firm and if necessary, letting his career wilt away for five years is a far better and robust decision than caving in and taking the money from a bunch of bin-dipping, self-pitying sh1t****s.

Edited by Crab Lungs

That's it for me. I think the club should impose two criteria.

Not only must the buyers meet our valuation, but VvD must formally request a transfer.

If the club wants to make a point that will stand the test of time in this world of self-serving agents and players without any loyalty, that's the way to do it.

I'd add a third. We have to secure a replacement first.

They are cumming in their pants over in rawk.

Hypothetical Question: if we came to an agreement with say Manc to sell him to them and he refuses, can he be forced to go to them?

He can't be forced to sign for anyone equally we don't have to sell him to anyone we don't want to.

They are cumming in their pants over in rawk.

Hypothetical Question: if we came to an agreement with say Manc to sell him to them and he refuses, can he be forced to go to them?

Why would he turn down Man Utd?

If they came in for him, he'd be off there. It just so happens that Man Utd, when conducting their transfer business, do so in a respectful matter, rather than Liverpool's sly approach. But they could have their pick of any player in the Premier League, and have the finances to better anything Liverpool could offer. Man Utd is a bigger club than Liverpool, so of course VVD would opt for them. But as Man Utd have already spent big on a defender, they're not in the race.

Why would he turn down Man Utd?

If they came in for him, he'd be off there. It just so happens that Man Utd, when conducting their transfer business, do so in a respectful matter, rather than Liverpool's sly approach. But they could have their pick of any player in the Premier League, and have the finances to better anything Liverpool could offer. Man Utd is a bigger club than Liverpool, so of course VVD would opt for them. But as Man Utd have already spent big on a defender, they're not in the race.

Know what you mean. I actually meant city, but I guess the same applies