Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I'm concerned about the impact on the squad of keeping a player who is so clearly keen not to be a Saint. I'm not sure that VVD can recover in the eyes of the supporters, in the same way that Morgan did. This all makes Pellegrino's position more difficult. I suppose that selling VVD would also give the appearance of undercutting Pellegrino given his comments yesterday about being told by the club that we are going to keep VVD. It is overall an irritating and poor situation.

It would be a positive development if VVD is considering clubs other than Liverpool, had they had not come out so publicly about his love for them and Klopp last month. Now his agent would have to convince teams like Chelsea or City to pay an irrationally high fee for him, knowing that they're his second choice.

I would have hoped that Man City would be an option if we could use him to help get Iheanacho and/or Roberts over the line, but the media has reported that City are not impressed with our valuation notwithstanding that they have just spent 50M+ on Walker. Perhaps Barca want to use some of their Neymar money on a shiny new CB...

Also, if the club does choose to sell, one question that has been floating around the Twitterverse is, what happens if Liverpool match whatever we accept from say Man City or Arsenal? Can VVD then force the move to Liverpool?

Ultimately I suspect that Liverpool are the only club gullible, desperate and financially irresponsible enough to pay the amount that Les and co. are looking for.

I'm concerned about the impact on the squad of keeping a player who is so clearly keen not to be a Saint. I'm not sure that VVD can recover in the eyes of the supporters, in the same way that Morgan did. This all makes Pellegrino's position more difficult. I suppose that selling VVD would also give the appearance of undercutting Pellegrino given his comments yesterday about being told by the club that we are going to keep VVD. It is overall an irritating and poor situation.

It would be a positive development if VVD is considering clubs other than Liverpool, had they had not come out so publicly about his love for them and Klopp last month. Now his agent would have to convince teams like Chelsea or City to pay an irrationally high fee for him, knowing that they're his second choice.

I would have hoped that Man City would be an option if we could use him to help get Iheanacho and/or Roberts over the line, but the media has reported that City are not impressed with our valuation notwithstanding that they have just spent 50M+ on Walker. Perhaps Barca want to use some of their Neymar money on a shiny new CB...

Also, if the club does choose to sell, one question that has been floating around the Twitterverse is, what happens if Liverpool match whatever we accept from say Man City or Arsenal? Can VVD then force the move to Liverpool?

Ultimately I suspect that Liverpool are the only club gullible, desperate and financially irresponsible enough to pay the amount that Les and co. are looking for.

We can choose to accept or turn down any offers we like, regardless of the value of the offer and the acceptance or rejection of any other offer.

I think they will be able to tell the difference. All VVD had to do last year was decline the new long term contract and say that he was going to want to leave next summer (or the summer after than since he had four years left at the time). This will tell players who sign for us that we plan to keep them for two or three years and then sell them on at a profit, but if they fit well, they will be offered a longer term contract at significantly increased wages, but they will be expected to stay longer in exchange. Exactly the message we should want to send.

Nutshell.

Now if you've changed your mind Virgil (a fine example of a captain), slap in a transfer request and we'll go from there...

The transfer ban stuff is bull****. If there was evidence for a ban they would have one by now. Saints arent stupid enough to think the interest would go away and may have encouraged it at the right price.

VVD will go - it business. The **** thing is that it will be to Liverpool. The board need go stop that after VVD or they will lose the fans.

Really just wish we would sell and move on . Les Reed has marketed Saints as a stepping stone club and this is the end result . Maybe players realize that we are not building anything anymore , its just a business, a cynical marketing excersise.

Selling isnt the end of the world . Starting the season without strengthening in key areas is unforgivable though . Possibly another reason for our better players wanting to leave .

Just sell and replace with an actual quality player and move on .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The days of clubs stopping paying players and holding on to their registration so they cannot play for anyone else are long gone . That's what led to the Bosman ruling and the transfer of power from club to player . Obviously players were tapped up in the old days and brown envelopes changed hands at motorway service stations but now the shady world of agents has taken over , clubs are businesses rather than "clubs" the football world has been shown to be corrupt from FIFA down . We now pay £50 to watch a match and £50 a month to watch it on TV so whole new world but will it last ?

So sell VVD , take the flak Les and lets get on with the season .

The days of clubs stopping paying players and holding on to their registration so they cannot play for anyone else are long gone . That's what led to the Bosman ruling and the transfer of power from club to player . Obviously players were tapped up in the old days and brown envelopes changed hands at motorway service stations but now the shady world of agents has taken over , clubs are businesses rather than "clubs" the football world has been shown to be corrupt from FIFA down . We now pay £50 to watch a match and £50 a month to watch it on TV so whole new world but will it last ?

So sell VVD , take the flak Les and lets get on with the season .

We are not going to let him rot for the duration of his contract, but we can make him stay another season and then sell.

Siggurdsson looks likely to go to Everton IMO as a replacement for Barkley, but I don't see a reason he wouldn't want to come here, we'd probably offer him a pay raise and he'd be moving from a relegation threatened club to an upper mid table club looking towards Europe.

That list of contracts that came out last season had Siggurdsson on £100k a week at Swansea. We won't be giving him much of a pay rise.

I missed the bit where Les sold VVD to Liverpool.

And you've missed the bit where it says TBC by his name?

It might be completely moot but i couldn't think of any other club that has done so much business with another in such a short period.

And you've missed the bit where it says TBC by his name?

It might be completely moot but i couldn't think of any other club that has done so much business with another in such a short period.

To be fair we'd be mad to turn our back on such a willing buyer. Liverpool have certainly indirectly contributed to our success the last few years. Their lack of imagination in the transfer market is to our benefit and long may it continue. All they have to show for it is a third place finish in the league the season they weren't even in Europe. If anything they should be questioning why they keep coming back to us for players - unless the extent of their ambition is such that this is their level now.

Reed has only been in charge for 3 seasons...

Hes already sold Liverpool

Lallana

Lovren

Lambert

Mane

Clyne

VVD TBC

Yes this must explain the appalling collapse of a club playing league one football seven years ago. I mean four consecutive finishes in the top eight, European football and a cup final really does represent failure on his part. I was saying this stood watching us at Dagenham and Redbridge few years back when your club down the road was crashing out of the Premier League under Avram Grant.....

This is Tom28's post today re VVD from the Stephens thread:

From my understanding. Some of above is true, with a little proviso.

LR has 'drawn a line in the sand', and no transactions TO The Dippers will take place this window. VVD has backed himself into a corner. He sits and waits for another club to come forward with the £70M offer. (Not many of those about). Or he rejoins the squad and waits until things have cooled with Liverhampton, in another transfer window.

LR has 'drawn a line in the sand', and no transactions TO The Dippers will take place this window. VVD has backed himself into a corner. He sits and waits for another club to come forward with the £70M offer. (Not many of those about). Or he rejoins the squad and waits until things have cooled with Liverhampton, in another transfer window.

What about if Liverpool were to stump up £70m?

So that pretty much leaves Chelsea / City / Arsenal as possible destinations...

- Interestingly City still haven't signed a centre-back yet, but put off by VVD's asking price. (Which is hilarious when you look at their dealings this summer).

- Chelsea you would have thought would be keen, but have signed Rudiger.

- Arsenal probably looking to sign their usual diminutive playmaker & not a player they actually need.

I would be moderately less disgruntled with that.

I still think we'd be made to look slightly ridiculous, having threatened Liverpool, got an apology and agreement to end interest, only to say ok, carry on.

Rather like finding your other half is playing away. He/she says sorry, won't do it again, so you say ok. Then a couple of weeks later they're at it again so you say actually it's ok.

And I still want a condition that he has to put in a transfer request and forego his bonus. Its ridiculous to expect a loyalty bonus for being disloyal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So the squad is off to France next week and VVD will be left to train on his own at Staplewood.

Does that mean a fitness coach stays with him to do ball practice or do they say a spare ball will be left on the ****ty pitch and it needs pumping up.

Shame he is not docked wages too for lack of respect to his contracted team.

To be fair we'd be mad to turn our back on such a willing buyer. Liverpool have certainly indirectly contributed to our success the last few years. Their lack of imagination in the transfer market is to our benefit and long may it continue. All they have to show for it is a third place finish in the league the season they weren't even in Europe. If anything they should be questioning why they keep coming back to us for players - unless the extent of their ambition is such that this is their level now.

Their purchases from us have been generally pretty successful - certainly they have a far higher hit rate than other transfers.

Very true, we may be ****ed that they keep taking our top players, but it hasn't really been that successful for them, we came closer to wining something than them last season. I hope they have an absolute shocker of a season this year as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Anything negative that happens at SFC is always down to LR, it's one of the mongboards 10 commandments

Anything positive that happens at SFC is always down to LR: it's one of the mongboard's 10 commandments. Unfortunately he now seems to have got rid of all the staff, administrators, scouts, managers and players who really achieved those positive things.

Les Reed has been a nobb on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, definitely Reeds fault the injured captain flew to Blackpool to meet Klopp. Definitely Reed's fault VVD didn't turn up to the awards dinner. Definitely Reed's fault VVD was tapped up.

Come on.

If this drags on - no way VvD will be matchfit for the start of the season - he's not trained properly since January and now training alone and not playing games - so either in a Saints shirt or any other teams jersey he will be months away from being first choice really. So it's a dangerous game he's playing mr.VvD

If he's smart he knows this to - but start to doubt he sees other things then moneybags at the moment.....

There must be clauses in player contracts that stops them from excluding themselves or behaving in such a way that means they have to be excluded? I can't believe that in this era of player power clubs aren't protecting themselves against this happening? Any contract gurus out there??

Two comments from Tom28's post (whether you believe he is ITK or not) that struck me, if it is true:

- Fairly amicable meetings by all accounts given the circumstances and the fact that they basically hate each other.

- Apparently, VVD has softened a little and would consider moving to another top club besides Liverpool. He's totally hell bent on leaving though.

What happened after last summer to make LR and VvD basically hate each other? After all a year ago Virgil seemed very happy to sign a year's extension, get a pay rise and be promised the captaincy and LR must have felt the same way. I see this comment as implying their hatred for each other pre-dates the Blackpool incident, maybe I am wrong. Also why is VvD hell bent on leaving, why has he lost all respect for the Club, what is it that has made him this way, ths doesn't happen because he is offered a move elsewhere, you can get that and still think highly of your current employers. Something inside the club is not right but unable to put my finger on it. Not many of our players who have been sold in the last few seasons have left with good grace (SRL being the obvious exception), it is not just the money or the lure of CL football, they mostly seem to leave with a degree of bitterness.

Two comments from Tom28's post (whether you believe he is ITK or not) that struck me, if it is true:

- Fairly amicable meetings by all accounts given the circumstances and the fact that they basically hate each other.

- Apparently, VVD has softened a little and would consider moving to another top club besides Liverpool. He's totally hell bent on leaving though.

What happened after last summer to make LR and VvD basically hate each other? After all a year ago Virgil seemed very happy to sign a year's extension, get a pay rise and be promised the captaincy and LR must have felt the same way. I see this comment as implying their hatred for each other pre-dates the Blackpool incident, maybe I am wrong. Also why is VvD hell bent on leaving, why has he lost all respect for the Club, what is it that has made him this way, ths doesn't happen because he is offered a move elsewhere, you can get that and still think highly of your current employers. Something inside the club is not right but unable to put my finger on it. Not many of our players who have been sold in the last few seasons have left with good grace (SRL being the obvious exception), it is not just the money or the lure of CL football, they mostly seem to leave with a degree of bitterness.

New agent who will only make money when he moves , Players generally don't change agents without having a plan to make changes in one way or another !

Cool heads are needed, if Pool stump up what Saints are asking then sell him off. Be done with it.

Rather the cash to spend on players that want to be here than pay the wages of an uncommitted player that doesn't. Bad for morale and no good for our finances.

Put your heart to one side and ignore that it's Pool - even if they were slimy in their approach - sell up and move on. There are other great CB options out there that can do a great job for us.

I'd much rather VVD wanted to stay but I can understand why he wants to move. So be it.

A common theme tends to be true is that players that want to leave tend to hate Les Reed, but then I suppose he's the main figure that they can hate.

His job isn't to be their friend. It's to get the best deal possible for us when they spit their dummy out.

#freecoutinho #doublevalues

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I hope they 'torture' Liverpool in their pursuit of him!

made me smile at Kloop when he said with a pained look

“We are approaching a very important moment and we want to get better. For this, we have to keep our key players. So that’s the answer.”

#freecoutinho

Tom28 seems to be on the money with his original vid on strike post and has now followed it up with a more detailed version of events at SMS.

I guess I wonder why he has such access to a major event at the club but haven't had any details on any positive stuff like signings etc. Surely he can't be worried about releasing news as the club will surely know where it's come from from the level of detail in the post.

Could it be possible this is carefully released information by the club in preparation for the ultimate sales of vvd to Liverpool? Seems like to to me