Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Above all else, this is the bit that annoys me most. The timeline of reported events would suggest this is exactly what happened. It's not something you expect from your captain and is disrespectful to everyone who was helping him at the time.

My initial emotional reaction is to agree... but there are two flaws in this plan. First, the general consensus is every club does it. We (managers, mainly) have spoken about players publicly before deals have been agreed and we also know that players have signed for us and commented about another existing player they spoke to about signing for us. It seems clear that not only do we do it to some degree, but we'd have any formal complaint turned straight back on us at some stage. Secondly, our business model is to give players a platform to grow, develop and showcase their abilities, before selling them on... so making it too formal would upset our customers, the companies we do the most profitable business with. That's unwise in any industry.

I think there is a difference between a club speaking to an agent and finding out what sort of terms they would be looking for, and whether they would be interested in a move, before contacting the club to discuss transfer fee etc, and getting the manager to meet with the player to convince him to join said club, getting into the head of the player/agent that a move is on the cards.

So VVD expects to be a Liverpool player by the end of the window.

Teresa May expected to have a bigger majority by the end of the last election and look where that got her.

I don't expect Saints to sell another top player to Liverool. We will see where that gets me.

I love the reaction of the dippers to Flash's comments. Seems that they only like to listen (as we do) to certain ex professionals. He wasn't a particularly good player, but he was a professional who played and scored in the PL, so probably is better qualified to comment than supporters.

This is what I've heard. VVD was approached around Xmas / January by a Liverpool representative (not Klopp, he got involved later) He has wanted out since then (5 months after signing the 6 year deal)

He also has the choice of City but wasn't keen on the way they rotate the team and was put off by a fan base which he described as not at all passionate. He wants to go to become a "hero" an "idol" and a player that will "go down in history" So a career move, rather than money.

He and his agent really ought to have thought through this possible scenario before signing on the dotted line of a new 6-year contract rather than 5 months after!

Also, he may be saying that he sees Liverpool as a big career to move to help him "go down in history" now, but something tells me he will be saying similar things about Barcelona or Real Madrid a year down the line if he is approached by them having done well at Liverpool.

He and his agent really ought to have thought through this possible scenario before signing on the dotted line of a new 6-year contract rather than 5 months after!

Also, he may be saying that he sees Liverpool as a big career to move to help him "go down in history" now, but something tells me he will be saying similar things about Barcelona or Real Madrid a year down the line if he is approached by them having done well at Liverpool.

The main issue here is that he ditched the agent he negotiated his contract with, shortly after signing in. For some reason.

I think he signed for 6 years in May....then ditched his agent and joined the Wesserman group in June/July ish.

This is what I've heard. VVD was approached around Xmas / January by a Liverpool representative (not Klopp, he got involved later) He has wanted out since then (5 months after signing the 6 year deal)

He also has the choice of City but wasn't keen on the way they rotate the team and was put off by a fan base which he described as not at all passionate. He wants to go to become a "hero" an "idol" and a player that will "go down in history" So a career move, rather than money.

Celtic supporters are a passionate bunch, and he left them. It's a money move, and then after the money it was a decision around which club would do a better job of stroking his ego.

Perfectly achievable here - unless, of course, it really is just abut the money.

The main issue here is that he ditched the agent he negotiated his contract with, shortly after signing in. For some reason.

I think he signed for 6 years in May....then ditched his agent and joined the Wesserman group in June/July ish.

So his current Agents garnered no benefit from the improved contract. Hmmmm.........

So he wants the tourist filled Anfield? Weird

The best atmosphere at Anfield last season was when we beat them in the semi final.

From VVD's point of view what would be the point of staying here another season if he knows a team challenging for trophies wants him?

He can always leave them in two years for Barcelona, or maybe he just wants to play in England at this stage.

What can he really achieve at Saints that he hasn't already done?

From VVD's point of view what would be the point of staying here another season if he knows a team challenging for trophies wants him?

He can always leave them in two years for Barcelona, or maybe he just wants to play in England at this stage.

Get us to another Wembley final, avoid being stamped on by Vardy, win a trophy.

Help us qualify for Europe again. Then, when we get there, score a couple of goals instead of missing them. [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would suggest he is (or was) on his way to achieving that with Southampton. He could have been a Saints legend, like MLT. He won't achieve all the above with Liverpool or indeed any top club who hire and fire, rotate their team etc. He is an automatic choice on the Saints team sheet, he wouldn't be that anywhere else.

He needs to imagine himself at age 40. Does he want to reflect on being a legend, appreciated everywhere he goes like MLT, or does he want to be a well paid gun for hire going from club to club, but maybe missing key games because he didn't get on the pitch.

Think about it, Virgil. Which means more - your name or your bank balance?

That's all very true and I doubt many on here will counter it.

The issue here is primarily about how he / his advisers are going about engineering the move, who he wants to move to, and how they have approached him before the club.

There is a right way to get a transfer and there is a wrong way.

I would suggest he is (or was) on his way to achieving that with Southampton. He could have been a Saints legend, like MLT. He won't achieve all the above with Liverpool or indeed any top club who hire and fire, rotate their team etc. He is an automatic choice on the Saints team sheet, he wouldn't be that anywhere else.

He needs to imagine himself at age 40. Does he want to reflect on being a legend, appreciated everywhere he goes like MLT, or does he want to be a well paid gun for hire going from club to club, but maybe missing key games because he didn't get on the pitch.

Think about it, Virgil. Which means more - your name or your bank balance?

This. If all the players who have left Saints to win trophies, and have almost totally failed to do so, had stayed, they'd be winning trophies with Saints now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How close did Liverpool get to a trophy last season...... err.....

These arguments are re-hashed every summer we all know them. Sadly for VVD the under handed way he and Liverpool have gone about things has worked against him Saints can not sell him to Liverpool this summer without basically giving all clubs the green light to tap up our players and our players the green light to down tools if they don't get what they want. As such I have a feeling the club will attempt to empower themselves by making an example of him. This might change if someone (who isn't Liverpool) comes in with a big enough offer but no one other than Liverpool seems that interested as yet. Right now not a single club has made an offer for him so he can't go anywhere whatever he feels.

I have a lot of Liverpool supporting clients, most of them from Liverpool & still live there.

Most get what's going on, they also get the comparison with Sterling.

A few, who appear very vocal are complete idiots.

If you really want to wind them up, ask them why we were chucked out of Europe finishing second in the old 1st Division? And then, if the 10 Liverpool fans convicted at that game are still in prison??

I don't want to sink to their level, but a touch of humility from them would go a long way!

I agree, I think most are realistic enough to understand that he is way too good for us, similar to Toby before him. An extra season would have been nice, but I don't think anyone would begrudge him a move to an elite club which is why if he moves to the victims, it'll leave a bitter taste in the mouth for most fans.

I think the majority (well I certainly would) would be happy for him to move to a City, United, Chelsea, Barca or Real, but what is he really going to win at the Victims? an FA or League cup or at best the Europa league.

If what LeG has said is true and he's leaving for the fans, he's obviously been to a different Anfield to what I've been to in the past couple of years.

I agree, I think most are realistic enough to understand that he is way too good for us, similar to Toby before him. An extra season would have been nice, but I don't think anyone would begrudge him a move to an elite club which is why if he moves to the victims, it'll leave a bitter taste in the mouth for most fans.

I think the majority (well I certainly would) would be happy for him to move to a City, United, Chelsea, Barca or Real, but what is he really going to win at the Victims? an FA or League cup or at best the Europa league.

If what LeG has said is true and he's leaving for the fans, he's obviously been to a different Anfield to what I've been to in the past couple of years.

Yep like all things LFC they are still living on past glorys.

He is probably thinking about how many likes and re tweets whatever he gets on Social Media from The Plastic Suck Ups who have probably never been to Anfield.

The Kop back in the day was a sight to behold, but now it is just plastics going through a well rehearsed scene and only does anything choreographed style when the players come onto the pitch at the start.

The **** signed a new deal with us for 6 years for a lot of dollar so to want to move 1 year on is a p iss take.

I dont feel any player is too good for us, they are my club, i want good players here, which fan would`nt??

I could accept him a move IF he had honoured at least another year of his lucrative contact..

And to go to the scousers, waste of time if he wants to win things as they will win zilch again.. but it`s money and nothing more he wants...

Sounds a bit odd. Staying at Celtic would have been his best bet if that's what he wanted. Anfield is one of the quietest grounds I've been to, apart from the quaint little ritual sing-song at the start.

I reckon his agent has ascertained that Liverpool are the only club willing to spend approximately the sort of money we are after and is trying to convince him it's his best bet.

Poor little Virgil - too feeble to stand up to being used by his agent.

its all about money nothing else the greed in footballers and agents in todays world is miles away from the Le tiss /benali/even gerrard days no loyalty

whatsoever in football today just how bigger can i make my pay cheque ,levy is right this can't go on much longer

Some people take this all to personally.

Imagine you play for Heracles Almelo in the Eredivisie and Ajax or PSV come calling and want to double your wages.

Youd be like err cheers Heracles Almelo but see ya.

VVD is a class player and he rightfully wants to win trophies. He's very very unlikely to win many or any with us.

That said.... Anyone but Liverpool

Imagine you play for Heracles Almelo in the Eredivisie and Ajax or PSV come calling and want to double your wages.

VVD is a class player and he rightfully wants to win trophies. He's very very unlikely to win many or any with us.

Correct Liverpool will win nothing....

The **** signed a new deal with us for 6 years for a lot of dollar so to want to move 1 year on is a p iss take.

I dont feel any player is too good for us, they are my club, i want good players here, which fan would`nt??

I could accept him a move IF he had honoured at least another year of his lucrative contact..

And to go to the scousers, waste of time if he wants to win things as they will win zilch again.. but it`s money and nothing more he wants...

As a fan I don't disagree with the sentiment but our players are employees of a football business, they're never going to feel the same way about the club as we do.

In reality we're stuck between a rock and a hard place...I think Virgil will be here after the window closes but the guy clearly doesn't want to be here so I find it difficult to trust him if he stays. It's all well and good saying he'll knuckle down once the window shuts but is he prepared to make a last ditch tackle which he knows is going to get him clattered? Is he prepared to play when not 100% for the benefit of the team? I can foresee a season of supposed 'niggling injuries' preventing him from playing regularly. As I said I think he'll be here when the window shuts but unlike some I have big doubts as to whether he'll preform to the same level as the previous two seasons.

reading the comments is funny. Nobody has mentioned to them that once Coutinho leaves their team has lost its talisman
Can't believe we thought Ramirez was the better option than coutinho at the time, we all know how Ramirez turnt out :(

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Except that compared to what he can get elsewhere he's not paid particularly well. Dutch press said about 60K/week if you like it in those terms, can easily get double elsewhere but for me it's no Europe that's the problem. Maybe that will cause a bit of a pay cut all round. And then we don't know what sort of friction his injury may have caused between himself and the club.
60k a week is enough for anyone to live a luxury lifestyle, he has Fook all to complain about, he should try living in the real world

attachment.php?attachmentid=2510&d=1501085268

He needs to go now to get a BIG payday before the Sky bubble bursts , Saints should survive the bubble due to sensible management , Man C could implode if the mid east goes wrong . Petrol/Diesels being scrapped is another nail in the mid east coffin . Who predicted Trump , Brexit , 2008 crash ??

Get top dollar now and buy in a a few on normal contracts to weather the storm . (says mister glass half full as I haven't finished it yet)

60k a week is enough for anyone to live a luxury lifestyle, he has Fook all to complain about, he should try living in the real world

Except he doesn't. He lives in a world where his colleagues at club and international level earn similar levels of money to him and have a similar lifestyle. He's better than most of them, so wanting his pay to reflect that is not such a hideous thing.

The problem is the levels of money sloshing about in the game, and how much of it ends up in transfer fees and particularly player wages. And parasitic agents who contribute very little to the game but have a major role in shaping it while lining their own pockets.

Except he doesn't. He lives in a world where his colleagues at club and international level earn similar levels of money to him and have a similar lifestyle. He's better than most of them, so wanting his pay to reflect that is not such a hideous thing.

The problem is the levels of money sloshing about in the game, and how much of it ends up in transfer fees and particularly player wages. And parasitic agents who contribute very little to the game but have a major role in shaping it while lining their own pockets.

Wanting more pay is understandable in 'his world', buwantibgbout and t refusing to play so soon after signing a new 6 year contract is unacceptable in any world IMO. He didn't have to sign.

Wanting more pay is understandable in 'his world', buwantibgbout and t refusing to play so soon after signing a new 6 year contract is unacceptable in any world IMO. He didn't have to sign.

absolutely right, he didn't have to sign. I know a lot of footballers aren't the sharpest pencils in the box but he must have known signing a six year deal would mean the club would expect him to stay longer than 12 months !

No regard for the 6 months bringing him back to fitness either. He really has shown himself to be a bit of an asshole.

He is digging a big hole for Liverpool. If he keeps on about going to Liverpool, aided and abetted by certain papers and Sky who reported he expected to go to Liverpool, then SFC issued a not for sale, LFC saying nothing has changed, now Jim White saying he is expected to join LFC, wheeling out Nigel Adkins to make a comment. The more this goes on the more it is obvious that there is collusion. How else could VVD expect to go to LFC if as long as SFC say he is not for sale LFC can't put in a bid without opening up a massive can of worms.

I'm becoming more pessimistic & sceptical as I get older in regards to Saints. When he was doing his Twitter updates showing his comeback from injury, I would cynically think to myself that he's probably doing that to show interested parties, rather than Saints fans.

How depressing that that was probably true.

Above all else, this is the bit that annoys me most. The timeline of reported events would suggest this is exactly what happened. It's not something you expect from your captain and is disrespectful to everyone who was helping him at the time.

My initial emotional reaction is to agree... but there are two flaws in this plan. First, the general consensus is every club does it. We (managers, mainly) have spoken about players publicly before deals have been agreed and we also know that players have signed for us and commented about another existing player they spoke to about signing for us. It seems clear that not only do we do it to some degree, but we'd have any formal complaint turned straight back on us at some stage. Secondly, our business model is to give players a platform to grow, develop and showcase their abilities, before selling them on... so making it too formal would upset our customers, the companies we do the most profitable business with. That's unwise in any industry.

True, but there is a difference between "Hello - Saints here, Would you be interested in playing for us - pay negotiable. You would? Right, we'll contact your club" and Liverpool's approach of conducting detailed negotiations right down to the transfer fee - bragging about it in the media without at any point contacting us. We were presented with a fait accomplis which effectively shut down our ability to negotiate with any other club. I am now all for letting VVD go - but to anyone but Liverpool.

I dont think anyones would begrudge him a move,more money and more personal glory is something that would tempt us all however there is a right and a wrong way to go about things and to be perfectly honest he is acting like a *****!

Well i think that's just the point, the club are begrudging him a move, a move that he really, really wants so he's acting up, rightly or wrongly. I read somewhere yesterday that under Dutch law the club would be in the wrong for leaving him out of the tour. Perhaps he just doesn't understand English contract law.

As I said I think he'll be here when the window shuts but unlike some I have big doubts as to whether he'll preform to the same level as the previous two seasons.

In which case he will jeopardise his chances of attracting the really big money/glory signing with one of the giants of World football