Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

If by setting the example you want to then you're closing the door to future talent like van Dijk and Mane being seen as this club again. Think about it. This is the **** state football is in, we ain't going to change that.
That really is utter b0ll0cks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Firstly sorry for the wall of text, typed it on my phone and don't have an edit button!

But I disagree with your point. There will always be future talent. We took him from Celtic to the PL. If the club is doing well there will always be teams wanting our players. That is the nature of the beast. We give them the game time to progress. If he was bought from Celtic by any of the others would he have played as many games as he has? I don't think so. He would get limited playing time where as here and at similar level teams he would start most games.

There is a natural progress to the big clubs and Southampton are apart of that. Unless you show something special really young you will not be going straight to the big clubs. Look at Chelsea and how many people they have loaned out. To get into those type of teams 25 player squads you have to be very good. You have to have experience. The only place you will get that on a weekly basis is somewhere like here. If we stand up to him it will not change anything in regards to people wanting to come here. There has to be a right way of going about things and the way he has done it is clearly wrong. He should not be rewarded for that behaviour at all.

Exactly.

I honestly do not get people who think we should just sell him. That is what he wants us to do. You're playing into his hands. As others have pointed out this goes way beyond money. Whilst he was injured sitting around collecting his money from the club he was in talks with Liverpool behind our back. He is/was the captain of the club and is supposed to set an example to everyone. He signed a new contract not long ago and even said himself that being here is the best time of his career. The only reason he has handed in this request is because Liverpool were caught out cheating and backed off. They will only bid if we give them permission. And as we said countless times that wouldn't happen as he was not for sale. He then obviously kicks up a stink behind the scenes leading to whatever reason he was fined for. Because he has not got his way he wants to lay blame at the club. He wants to cause as much fuss as possible to get his way, like a spoilt kid.

If the club bows to his wishes and sells this window it sends a message to every player at this club from the first team all the way to the youngsters in the academy. If you want out do a Virgil and your get your move and the extra pay day you and your agent wanted. Wenger said about Sanchez 'He signed a deal and we expect him to honor it, he will not be leaving no matter the fee'. For me it is the same thing here. If you sell him the fall out will be far worse and no money will fix it. If you are trying to build something at a club the contracts are there so you know who will be at your club, you can plan around it. If every window you have 1 or main players wanting out it creates a negative atmosphere around the club. If you set an example it sends the message to the players that we will not be walked over and do what you want, when you want it. We expect you to keep to your side of the deal and act professional and respectful. Give in to his demands and we will create a lot more problems for ourselves further down the line. £70m would be nice but people are talking as if that will go straight back into the squad. Our owner is trying to sell the club, why would she put that money into something she was going to sell? It would put the asking price up wouldn't it?

Absolutely.

The club needs to draw a line in the sand NOW and stop this nonsense, whilst they have the opportunity with a player tied to a long contract. Otherwise our reputation as a club willing to bend over and be done from behind will only get stronger.

I bet in hindsight Les Reed wishes he'd made an example out of Lallana at an earlier opportunity.

It is hard to imagine this. I think that his representative's goal in drafting this press release was to up the ante and make any return in a Saints shirt untenable.

I think you are probably right, the so called pundits get right up my nose, Ian Wright and Chris Sutton last night, banging on how Southampton are just a selling club, i am sick and tired of Southampton being talked about in this way, they did not want to sell the players we have over the last few years, like Lallana, Lovren etc, but the pull of the big clubs for them as players is so big that Saints have always felt that there was no way out. Therefore as we have progressed (apart from last season, although a cup final is progress) the board must feel that we have to stand firm, otherwise you cannot progress further, 6th or 7th is as far you can go, remember how the so called top six clubs had a meeting to discuss Leicester and the potential of them winning the premiership, they are afraid of that and they do not want that to happen again, hence why i am frankly getting bored with the scenarior, why don't they just xxxx off and form there own league, the top six to seven will have a great time battling for six trophies, that will stop them winging and they all finish with a trophy at the end of the season, of course it won't happen but something needs to be done, as the current situation is not sustainable in terms of transfer fees (198 million for a player) and wages, they could learn from the NFL in terms of sustainability.

5) Call his bluff. Refuse to sell and then accept him back into the team after 1st September when his head miraculously returns to being in the right place.

It's a World Cup year. He's not going to keep this cobblers up for much longer.

Indeed. One could argue this statement was his (and Liverpool's) last throw of the dice.

He's just potentially given up 7m quid.

I would still sell if they meet our valuation, and quickly get in Wimmer and that other defender we were linked to at the end of last week. If the Lemina deal is closed, combined with Romeu, we are on the way to a tight defensive unit again.

Only thing that would concern me is the rumblings surrounding Cedric and Bertrand possibly following VVD out of the door.

Time to go Virgil. Don't let the door smack your arśe on the way out.

No don't agree. Club need to follow through with this stance now otherwise we will be the same old selling club. What we are doing now is spot on.

If by setting the example you want to then you're closing the door to future talent like van Dijk and Mane being seen as this club again. Think about it. This is the **** state football is in, we ain't going to change that.

Complete bull.

If Virgil hadn't signed a new deal we would let him go.

Mane and Wanyama didn't so we sold them.

I honestly do not get people who think we should just sell him. That is what he wants us to do. You're playing into his hands. As others have pointed out this goes way beyond money. Whilst he was injured sitting around collecting his money from the club he was in talks with Liverpool behind our back. He is/was the captain of the club and is supposed to set an example to everyone. He signed a new contract not long ago and even said himself that being here is the best time of his career. The only reason he has handed in this request is because Liverpool were caught out cheating and backed off. They will only bid if we give them permission. And as we said countless times that wouldn't happen as he was not for sale. He then obviously kicks up a stink behind the scenes leading to whatever reason he was fined for. Because he has not got his way he wants to lay blame at the club. He wants to cause as much fuss as possible to get his way, like a spoilt kid.

If the club bows to his wishes and sells this window it sends a message to every player at this club from the first team all the way to the youngsters in the academy. If you want out do a Virgil and your get your move and the extra pay day you and your agent wanted. Wenger said about Sanchez 'He signed a deal and we expect him to honor it, he will not be leaving no matter the fee'. For me it is the same thing here. If you sell him the fall out will be far worse and no money will fix it. If you are trying to build something at a club the contracts are there so you know who will be at your club, you can plan around it. If every window you have 1 or main players wanting out it creates a negative atmosphere around the club. If you set an example it sends the message to the players that we will not be walked over and do what you want, when you want it. We expect you to keep to your side of the deal and act professional and respectful. Give in to his demands and we will create a lot more problems for ourselves further down the line. £70m would be nice but people are talking as if that will go straight back into the squad. Our owner is trying to sell the club, why would she put that money into something she was going to sell? It would put the asking price up wouldn't it?

Football has changed, Franny. What you've written is all fairy tale stuff.

Players are bigger than clubs these days, and the Neymar farce hasn't helped things one bit.

The VVD situation is now toxic and won't be resolved unless he goes unfortunately. He won't play for us again. If this doesn't go his way, he will refuse to play.

No don't agree. Club need to follow through with this stance now otherwise we will be the same old selling club. What we are doing now is spot on.

Agree completely, stay strong Saints!

If we don't set an example then someone who wants out will do exactly the same thing next summer and so on...

Football has changed, Franny. What you've written is all fairy tale stuff.

Players are bigger than clubs these days, and the Neymar farce hasn't helped things one bit.

The VVD situation is now toxic and won't be resolved unless he goes unfortunately. He won't play for us again. If this doesn't go his way, he will refuse to play.

There are plenty of examples of plays handing in transfer requests, having them declined, and carrying on. Most notably in recent times, Stones at Everton.

I'm happy that the Board will act in the best interests of the club, whether that be to sell or retain.

Out of interest, was there a particular reason for him releasing a statement other than to try and portray himself as the good guy in all this and Saints as sinners?

Time. No one has officially come in for him, Klopp is back tracking about his need for defensive reinforcements and the transfer window closes in a few weeks. This is an attempt to publically burn all bridges in a desperate attempt to force a move before the window closes.

Quote: Players are bigger than clubs these days, and the Neymar farce hasn't helped things one bit.

This is the nub of the problem, players should not be bigger then the clubs and the football authorities have allowed this to happen. The current TV PL deal should have split the monies more equally between that used on players (transfers / wages) with that going to REAL football such as the club infrastructure, fan tickets subsidies etc.. The balance at the moment is far to far towards player and agent rewards.

So stats from SSN 1.2 goals with VVD 1.4 without 1% less wins without 6 cleans sheets without 8 with. Will it be that hard to find replacement better than we had since January? Still baffled why we haven't recruited regardless of that snake.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No we aren't that is nonsense, we are a football club, a good one in the premier league, that offer good wages. Players like Mane, VVD, etc. were never going to straight to Liverpool or Man Utd, other players of their caliber are not in the future but will still want higher wages and to play in the premier league.

We buy players to improve the team, that is our 'MO' nothing else, if players think we are a stepping stone club that is there own perception, the club is never sold like that and we don't buy players for that intention.

he next Mane or VVD will sign for us because it's a good deal for them, they nor the club have no idea whether in 2-3 years they will be good enough to move to a bigger club. Where else are they going to go? Stoke, West Ham, Crystal Palace, far less stable clubs than us. We have positioned ourselves as the 'best of the rest' outside the big 5-6 clubs and that is why, coupled with the draw of the premier league and the higher wages that allows us to offer, players want to come here.

No we aren't that is nonsense, we are a football club, a good one in the premier league, that offer good wages. Players like Mane, VVD, etc. were never going to straight to Liverpool or Man Utd, other players of their caliber are not in the future but will still want higher wages and to play in the premier league.

We buy players to improve the team, that is our 'MO' nothing else, if players think we are a stepping stone club that is there own perception, the club is never sold like that and we don't buy players for that intention.

he next Mane or VVD will sign for us because it's a good deal for them, they nor the club have no idea whether in 2-3 years they will be good enough to move to a bigger club. Where else are they going to go? Stoke, West Ham, Crystal Palace, far less stable clubs than us. We have positioned ourselves as the 'best of the rest' outside the big 5-6 clubs and that is why, coupled with the draw of the premier league and the higher wages that allows us to offer, players want to come here.

Thank you for expressing my thoughts exactly in a far more reasoned way than my frustrated comment of "b0ll0cks".

I'm wondering if we'll get a statement from the club. I'm guessing they're waiting to see what offers come in. If someone (not Liverpool) makes a sensible bid, the statement will be along the lines of "with regret, don't want to sell, but in the interests of the club.....".

If not, I'd love to hear the TR is not accepted, he's still not for sale.

But the bottom line, IMO, is that Chelsea and Man C both need him and he'll go to one or the other, quite late on, so I desperately hope we get the replacement in first.

I am in no way supporting what Van Dyke is orchestrating, far from it, however several things happened in the 6 months or so following his 6 year contract which will not have increased his affection for Saints:

1) His fellow countryman and idol Koeman left Saints.

2) His team mate Fonte left the club after an acrimonious period with the club.

3) A non-ambitious transfer window in the summer transfer window 2016

4) Not progressing in the Europa cup (although I seem to remember he missed some chances to get us better results!)

5) As he has admitted, after his injury he had time (to much) to think about his future and influenced by his agent.

Many of our players were encouraged to come to the club for the ambition of a plan of being a top PL side and progressing to Champions League contenders, some may be feeling disappointed that the ambitious plan sold to them is not being met.

I am in no way supporting what Van Dyke is orchestrating, far from it, however several things happened in the 6 months or so following his 6 year contract which will not have increased his affection for Saints:

4) Not progressing in the Europa cup (although I seem to remember he missed some chances to get us better results!)

5) As he has admitted, after his injury he had time (to much) to think about his future and influenced by his agent.

Many of our players were encouraged to come to the club for the ambition of a plan of being a top PL side and progressing to Champions League contenders, some may be feeling disappointed that the ambitious plan sold to them is not being met.

Definitely agree. It's not ideal that he wants to go but there are reasons. He does need to go now though, if only for us to be able to use the cash to strengthen the first team. And quickly.

I reckon most posters hand-on-heart would admit that the fault doesnt completely lie with him.

We do come across as unambitious and Lowe-like now. I guess that wont change until the long-term ownership of the club is resolved.

Best of the rest outside the top 7 as Everton have gone in to that. We are 8th, the best of the rest.

I suggest we name him in the squad for the Swansea game to show that he isn't being excluded. Then when he refuses to play it will be clear to the world where the fault lies.

He will play and score an own goal to show his determination.

I don't suppose for a minute that the accompanying letter that went with the transfer request was written by VvPr!ck, but by his agent who seems to have been the driving force behind most of this sorry episode. Lets face it, what agent is going to happily sit around twiddling his thumbs for 5 years until the current contract runs down. But you have to ask why did VvStryke decide it was necessary to change agents after his previous one got him a decent pay rise even though there were 3 or 4 years to go on his previous contract? Other characters in this sick pantomime are of Liverpool Fc and their cast of hundreds of ex players and club friendly journo and broadcasters painting SFC as the bad guys in all of this, yet funnily enough don't see the similarities in the Coutinho scenario at all!! Chief baddie in the LFC camp has to be the gurning git Klippity Klopp, who has somehow escaped punishment in committing the inexcusable sin of actively being involved in the tapping up process by actively meeting VvSnake in Blackpool. How neither him, nor our club captain have escaped punishment by the higher powers that be is simply staggering. So Mr I feel badly insulted Van Thunderkhunt ....... you feel insulted? Try looking at things from our side of the fence. Despite it being a bit like cutting our own noses off to spite our face, I'd be 100% behind the club if they turn down any offers and make you train alone and not even play in the reserves until at least the Jan window. The 7 million saved from his last roll of the dice transfer request can be used to fund his salary in the interim.

I.m not one that would normally join in the booing etc of former players when they play against us, but in your case I'd only be too happy to.

Van Dyke has obviously said what he has to try to burn his bridges and weaken our position in negotiating a price - the best thing the club could do is name him in the starting line-up against Swansea.

There may be a few boos but it will all blow over. The club just need to make it crystal clear that we don't need to sell, nothing has changed - the **** has to work for his cash.

I reckon most posters hand-on-heart would admit that the fault doesnt completely lie with him.

We do come across as unambitious and Lowe-like now. I guess that wont change until the long-term ownership of the club is resolved.

There are 3 sides to every story.

VVD has acted badly but probably out of frustration. Hes seen our players (his mates) sold to the top 6 and now its his turn the club have decided enough is enough.

Personally id be annoyed too.

We are sold as a stepping stone club - Boufal and Hojberg spoke openly about it and it was part of the reason they signed.

We are also quite clearly a selling club.... Weve sold 15 first team players in the last 3 years. Unprecedented

Its a tricky one, we've made our bed but now want VVD to sleep on the floor.

This is VVD trying to force Saints’ hand by creating an extra negative relationship. Nothing has really changed, except that he’s outed himself as a bigger ***** than we already knew he was, and that IF we decide to sell anyway, he won’t receive his loyalty bonus. Fans stating now that we should just kick him out don’t understand the game he’s deliberately playing.

Saints hold ALL the cards. It’s not a positive situation of course, to have your best player refusing to play. We could really do with either him returning to his duty within a few weeks or getting someone new in. But that’s all there is to it. I don’t think the club will worry about their ‘reputation’ after this statement.

Despite the above, I personally hope we will sell, if anyone is interested enough to pay the full amount (whatever that is). I'm kind of excited about finding out who we could get in as a replacement.

Van Dyke has obviously said what he has to try to burn his bridges and weaken our position in negotiating a price - the best thing the club could do is name him in the starting line-up against Swansea.

There may be a few boos but it will all blow over. The club just need to make it crystal clear that we don't need to sell, nothing has changed - the **** has to work for his cash.

And wwhen he refuses to play as he would?

Complete bull.

If Virgil hadn't signed a new deal we would let him go.

Mane and Wanyama didn't so we sold them.

It beggars belief how many can`t grasp this... But some refuse to understand out of stupid stubbornness which is quite funny tbh

He signed a deal to extend his stay till 2022, if he did`nt want to stay he should have refused the offer...simple

DO NOT SELL TILL NEXT SUMMER...

And wwhen he refuses to play as he would?

I'd assume that would be grounds to fine him his wages indefinitely no? (is refusal to play breach of contract?). If you take the stance that he only cost us £13m and that that's what we are actually losing by not playing him i'd say that's not too bad (no worse than the whole Osvaldo mess for example). Make it clear that he's not going anywhere and that we are quite happy to have Yoshida / Stephens / Bednarek / Gardos as CB options and have no need to replace him and i'm sure he'd soon get the idea that he's all out of options and that he can either waste at minimum another 6 months of his ever so short career or he can get back to playing and proving he's worth other clubs paying what we want for him so he can get his 'big' move in January or next summer.

It beggars belief how many can`t grasp this... But some refuse to understand out of stupid stubbornness which is quite funny tbh

He signed a deal to extend his stay till 2022, if he did`nt want to stay he should have refused the offer...simple

Selling with 5 years left is outrageous.....

Selling with 4 years left is ok?

There are 3 sides to every story.

VVD has acted badly but probably out of frustration. Hes seen our players (his mates) sold to the top 6 and now its his turn the club have decided enough is enough.

Personally id be annoyed too.

We are sold as a stepping stone club - Boufal and Hojberg spoke openly about it and it was part of the reason they signed.

We are also quite clearly a selling club.... Weve sold 15 first team players in the last 3 years. Unprecedented

Its a tricky one, we've made our bed but now want VVD to sleep on the floor.

Yep, it's the clubs fault, poor VvD.

I do wonder with the manager's previous links to Liverpool and Les being a fan how this will all play out. Hope Chelsea can pull their finger out. £60m from them and it's a totally different story.

VVD will not be match fit to play for a month. We cant risk playing him until he has had some match time, at the same time if he is not fully match fit his injury could play up.

Imagine if we played him not fully match fit and he gets injured

Absolutely spot on in every detail. We need to draw a line in the sand and show that we are prepared to act on a matter of principle, even if van Dijk and his shonky agent are not.

wow, that is some statement. A massive gamble by the player. Bit of advice for him; don't sign a five year contract then, you disgraceful ****

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It was six as well

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Despite the crap players spout in their first post signing interviews not one player has ever come to saints thinking we were going to be champions league contenders and a top PL side.

We all know, deep down, that contracts count for nothing. They just bump the price up a bit. It's the unspoken 'best for all parties' nowadays.

As Puel found out. Our fans must be the worst in football for feeling victims of every player and manager who is sold. I guess it's because of Old Les's PR leaks, which tell us how horrible they all are. They are no more horrible or greedy than players and managers at any other club or people in any other high-paid job, from businessmen to film and pop stars. It's just that other clubs don't sling mud at them before they sell them. Our fans need to man up. We look like we are going to have another good season. Our first home and away games are already sold out too. Time to stop whingeing.

You're making yourself look a little stupid (again) if im honest.

VvD signing a contract worked for both him and us. He gets a nice pay rise, we secure an asset and therefore boost his transfer fee when it comes to the time to sell. Lets be honest, given our record of selling anything that's not nailed down, I doubt it even crossed his mind that we would refuse to sell him.

I think most sensible saints fans understand that he's too good for us, as was Toby and Lovren before him. I think most would have understood if he'd gone to City/Chelsea/United and kept his mouth shut. He gets the move he wants it all ends amicably.

What ****es me off, is the way he's gone about it (snidey meetings, refusal to play and acting the victim) and the vile club he wants to join.

Ultimately there's no way back for him now. Bridges are well and truly burnt. The board have done very very well to drag it out as long as they have, but realistically they don't have much choice but to sell now, which will decrease his value unfortunately. The only and best thing the board can now do is make sure they do not sell him to Liverpool.

What do you expect when he can earn 3x more elsewhere.

Bottom line.

And for those of you shouting for him to be isolated from the first team squad he already is he turns up to Staplewood after the players have left.

It's not like he's even training on his own while they are there. .he goes in when they've all gone off the campus.

As Puel found out. Our fans must be the worst in football for feeling victims of every player and manager who is sold. I guess it's because of Old Les's PR leaks, which tell us how horrible they all are. They are no more horrible or greedy than players and managers at any other club or people in any other high-paid job, from businessmen to film and pop stars. It's just that other clubs don't sling mud at them before they sell them. Our fans need to man up. We look like we are going to have another good season. Our first home and away games are already sold out too. Time to stop whingeing.

What complete and unmitigated bôllocks this is, as per usual. Les has done no PR. The Club has said nothing. The manager has responded very diplomatically to questions posed to him. So the rest of what you write is irrelevant. The only people saying things were Liverpool and now VVD. Who is whinging? To me that would be VVD.