Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

No grudges if he goes. He's far too good for us and good luck to him. If I was as good as him I'd be trying to get as much money as I could at the biggest possible club and that is fair enough.

But please not Liverpool [emoji6]

Southampton are holding out for £60M for Virgil van Dijk. [Paul Joyce, The Times]

We shouldn't even consider selling him for less than that. Man City have at least £400 million to spend this summer, I'm sure they can stump up another £10 million or so.

The Times saying that City are offering him 180k a week.

He would be a fool to turn down that sort of money. Four times his current Saints salary.

Those numbers are why its an utter no brainer to leave Saints.

The Times article has sent the Red and White Kop into a bit of a tailspin. To me it sounds like the agent drumming up business for his client, with its emphasis on wages offered to VVD by the various clubs.

If Stones was worth 47.5 million last year, it seems to me that 60 million for VVD this summer is the least Saints should be seeking.

Set to fight??? That means just asking for more money as a fee rather than saying "no".

No it doesnt, if you read it the penny has dropped that if he is worth £50 million this summer he will be worth at least that, almost definitely more, next summer. The article, and presumably because of it, the club, are clearly looking at a Morgan situation, ie give us one more year then you can go.

Whether that happens or not remains to be seen of course.

No it doesnt, if you read it the penny has dropped that if he is worth £50 million this summer he will be worth at least that, almost definitely more, next summer. The article, and presumably because of it, the club, are clearly looking at a Morgan situation, ie give us one more year then you can go.

Whether that happens or not remains to be seen of course.

Schniederlin was only forced to stay another year because Spurs put in a weak offer in the summer. Had a club come in with the £20m-£25m we wanted then he'd of joined the exodus in 2014.

The Times article has sent the Red and White Kop into a bit of a tailspin. To me it sounds like the agent drumming up business for his client, with its emphasis on wages offered to VVD by the various clubs.

If Stones was worth 47.5 million last year, it seems to me that 60 million for VVD this summer is the least Saints should be seeking.

£60m minimum, flat sum - none of this add-on bullsh*t.

should he depart, it will still be Les Reeds fault in some people's eyes, ignoring the fact that you can't keep a player happy when that sort of contract is on the table, unless you match it, which we can't.

He's an easy target.

How about thanking les for investing in VVD and making a profit which can be reinvested in this great club we all support.

He's an easy target.

How about thanking les for investing in VVD and making a profit which can be reinvested in this great club we all support.

Fine attitude if you're a shareholder or Kat.

But we are fans of the football team not the financials

I want the best players playing for SFC, couldnt give a **** if we have £100m saved in the bank.

We make enough money from Sky, selling players every summer is ridiculous and pure greed from Les and Kat

Edited by Heisenberg

5 year contact or whatever it is. Tell him to stay, if he sulks I'm sure he'll get over it.

All this nonsense about 'we can't match that!!!' - we don't have to, time for us to grow a backbone.

I fully expect him to be sold though because that's what we do.

5 year contact or whatever it is. Tell him to stay, if he sulks I'm sure he'll get over it.

All this nonsense about 'we can't match that!!!' - we don't have to, time for us to grow a backbone.

I fully expect him to be sold though because that's what we do.

We go through this whole charade every season now with posters saying force the player to stay. The reality is that someone will come in with a mega bid and we won't be able to turn it down. I accepted he was going months ago and it makes it a lot easier to accept. I'm excited to see what replacements we get in, I'm hoping with the money we can upgrade a few positions that suffered in quality last season like a proper Mane replacement, another DM and a Tadic replacement if we sell him too.

We go through this whole charade every season now with posters saying force the player to stay. The reality is that someone will come in with a mega bid and we won't be able to turn it down. I accepted he was going months ago and it makes it a lot easier to accept. I'm excited to see what replacements we get in, I'm hoping with the money we can upgrade a few positions that suffered in quality last season like a proper Mane replacement, another DM and a Tadic replacement if we sell him too.

Oh don't worry, I accepted it months ago too.

Like I said, it's what we do.

Less than £60m = disappointing

Less than £55m = mugged

The reported figure will be "undisclosed" and papers will speculate with wildly different fees 50-70

We will never really know and when the financials eventually appear it will be alot lower than we thought as agents take a cut, players take some and previous clubs take a %. From a 50m sale we will be lucky to see 25-30m of it

I want the best players playing for SFC, couldnt give a **** if we have £100m saved in the bank.

We make enough money from Sky, selling players every summer is ridiculous and pure greed from Les and Kat

If you really think that Kat is driven by "pure greed", you are a bigger **** than I first thought, and a loathsome individual.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Replacements are the key. Players leave fine it's what happens...as long as the club is re-investing in good replacements I can live with it.

Sadly they didn't do that last summer and we suffered for it. Les needs to get it spot on this season or we going to end up with a pretty mediocre team.

I agree, Les Reed is useless, let's get in someone like whoever deals with Sunderland's transfers so we can recruit complete turd that nobody wants to buy, who then see out their contracts and leave on a free meaning we have to replace them with more turd. Why can't we just be so **** that nobody wants to buy our players ffs.. I hate this 'buy a good player, sell him for a huge profit, replace him with two good players and then still come top half' thing we do :mcinnes:

** I realise the 'replace him with two good players thing' hit a bit of a snag this summer, but the previous two it's worked a charm, it's not going to be perfect every time.

I agree, Les Reed is useless, let's get in someone like whoever deals with Sunderland's transfers so we can recruit complete turd that nobody wants to buy.

Always the extreme examples used to prove the point... Ill see your Sunderland and raise you Spurs.

They are a Level 2 side and manage to stop level 1 clubs from pilfering 3-4 players each and every summer?

If he wants to go then he'll go sadly, we'll see how much he agitates for it, but he seems a fairly stable character so we might get another year out of him.

Plus I doubt anything will happen until the managed situation sorts itself out. I'm also pretty sure he's our highest earner so 180k can't be 4 times his wages and with 5 years left on his contract there is no obligation or rush to sell.

Who knows, we might get Tuchel in, he has a big chat with Virgil, makes a couple of big signings and the guy will want to stay, we can but dream.

If he wants to go then he'll go sadly, we'll see how much he agitates for it, but he seems a fairly stable character so we might get another year out of him.

Plus I doubt anything will happen until the managed situation sorts itself out. I'm also pretty sure he's our highest earner so 180k can't be 4 times his wages and with 5 years left on his contract there is no obligation or rush to sell.

Who knows, we might get Tuchel in, he has a big chat with Virgil, makes a couple of big signings and the guy will want to stay, we can but dream.

He will be on a lot more than 45k a week. The financials had £85m a year on wages, so assuming most of that goes on the first team then a squad of 25 the average wage is £60-65,000 per week. You will have some earning 10-20k PW and key players like VVD earning close to 100k PW imho (similar to the reported Cáceres weekly wage)

Puel is paid 3.2m a year (62k a week)

Would not like to see what Les (and Ralph) pays himself........

We are 70 million in debt

Always the extreme examples used to prove the point... Ill see your Sunderland and raise you Spurs.

They are a Level 2 side and manage to stop level 1 clubs from pilfering 3-4 players each and every summer?

They also spent £30 and £17 million on Sissoko and Jansen respectively as well as £20 million on both N'Jie and N'Koudou so I think we have a better recruitment team than them. Also they're in a far stronger position than us with respect to keeping players but you know that and choose to ignore it nonetheless.

Replacements are the key. Players leave fine it's what happens...as long as the club is re-investing in good replacements I can live with it.

Sadly they didn't do that last summer and we suffered for it. Les needs to get it spot on this season or we going to end up with a pretty mediocre team.

That's the major frustration of last year when we had the opportunity to buy some real quality as we also had the attraction of Europe. We were lightweight in too many areas and we didn't do our usual trick of finding a gem or two to polish into a £30 million + player. If we do similar this summer then we won't have the cushion of a VVD to fall back on.

If you really think that Kat is driven by "pure greed", you are a bigger **** than I first thought, and a loathsome individual.

For someone who calls himself a supporter, its amazing just to what lengths he goes to discredit the club.. but as we all know he would be classed as a troll anywhere else

It is pointless trying to explain anything rational regarding SFC to him...

The ignore function is wonderful, save for when people quote those on ignore. At present, I have Glasgow and Batman on ignore. No doubt through the summer, more will be added (I reckon it will be Nordic first) Then maybe I can have everyone on ignore.

He's an easy target.

good point. Easy to say now, but I always thought it was a no brainer signing for any premiership club, he that far ahead of anyone else in Scotland and clearly worth the punt. But we did and are reaping the benefits.

It's funny, centre half was a huge weak spot for us for years and years (and is a terribly hard position to fill as Man City have proved), but the recent signings have by and large been outstanding. Hope we can do it again. That position is crucial and as much as like Jack and Yoshida I do think there is room for improvement.

Whether the £60m or £70m demands are true or not, I have to say its nice to hear these hefty figures being bandied about. £40m is too low IMO in the current market.

He will be on a lot more than 45k a week. The financials had £85m a year on wages, so assuming most of that goes on the first team then a squad of 25 the average wage is £60-65,000 per week. You will have some earning 10-20k PW and key players like VVD earning close to 100k PW imho (similar to the reported Cáceres weekly wage)

Puel is paid 3.2m a year (62k a week)

Would not like to see what Les (and Ralph) pays himself........

Agree with you here. I have been saying it for ages, we are paying some of our guys like Austin big wages (approaching £100k a week). Still along way short of the figures being mentioned at the big five or six clubs.

but the SKY money goes straight through the club and straight into the players pockets. You mentioned in another post how big our wage bill is. We were also reported to be £60m in debt, so I am not sure how Les and Kat have shown greed. Not sure my post will change your mind, but I am interested to know why you are so sure they are taking funds out.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/10900569/man-city-fear-chelsea-and-liverpool-will-drive-price-up-for-virgil-van-dijk

Narrative has definitely subtly changed away from 'done deal' in the last couple of days. Means at least the press are considering the possibility he'll be here next season and want to avoid making themselves look completely daft.

Could (probably?) be wrong now, and could obviously change as well, but my gut feeling is we'll be watching him in a Saints shirt for next season at least.