Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

This...
he hasnt asked to leave but well informed journalists have said that he met Klopp and Liverpool his preferred choice. He doesnt need to come out and tell you and me all he had to do was sit and wait for the stories to fester and then Liverpool approach the club. Turns out it has backfired on everybody

Letting him off what? The possibility that he wants to earn even more money, play for a bigger club and play CL next season?

Yes, shame on him. Grab the pitch forks!

I really wonder what some people expect from players.

Just to follow the correct procedure of managing their transfer, as the club would expect. That's got nothing to do with wanting to earn more money or play for a bigger club, both of which he is going to get without too much problem.

While I do not question the desire of players to earn more money, there is a proper way of doing things. While under contract, and earning a sh!t load of money every week, I think your employer is due a bit more respect. But then no one said football was full of gentlemen who know how to behave in a decent and proper manner. The pursuit of money rather seems to preclude proper behaviour in far too many instances.

Getting cosy with Klippity Klopp in Blackpool without informing the club would be pretty damning IF proven to be true.

Would be interesting to hear VVD's side of things.

Virgil was simply queueing for the Big Dipper and Klopp managed to get on the carriage in front of him, it's hardly VVD's fault. Klopp was just a sneaky bast@rd.

Talk sport is entertaining today , Dippers fuming saying it happens all the time why are we picking on them, they'll still get him and we'll quieten down once they chuck us a few extra quid etc

Liverpool supporting mate of mine reckons we gave them permission to talk to VVD back in march, and this is all cloak and daggers to appease the fans and ensure liverpool get their man at the end of it. Smells like typical scouse delusion to me but who knows?

Yes.......show me a direct link, where he has asked to leave!

So are you suggesting that because it hasn't been leaked to the press, VVD or his agent hasn't indicated (whilst not officially handing in a transfer request, I must add) to the club that he wants to leave?

If you are, then i'm sorry to break it to you, but you're wrong.

I still expect VVD to go, but you have to give us credit as any deal will be on our terms.. they pay our price, or they don't get the player. I expect it now to be City, but still something in the back of my mind is saying that this Liverpool saga isn't over, just yet.

On a side note, it has to be said that, even though we came out looking really bad in this entire mess, the real losers in this case are Southampton. They obviously did it because they needed to divert the attention from the real problems they are experiencing at the moment (their owner being investigated, sacking of the manager), and they might look tough in the eyes of their fans at the moment, but basically they have shot themselves in the foot, when it comes to future business. For a mid table club with an entire business model based on signing talented young players and selling them on for a hefty profit, they've put themselves in a situation when they won't be able to sign any talented player in the near future, without a rock solid release clause is included in the deal.

Man seriously looks at these Liverpool fans. Owner being investigated is a complete nothing story and the sacking of the manager is hardly a problem because it's our choice to try and improve the performance of the team. Why would we need to 'divert attention' from it? That makes zero sense.

WTF is this guy talking about, how do these muppets think they are experts on a football club they clearly know nothing about.

Our entire business model is not built on being a selling club, our entire business model is built on trying to be the best football club we can within our means.

We sell players because clubs like Liverpool tap up our players all the time and we end up with no choice because the players throw their toys out of the pram and are nearing the last year of our contract so don;t want to let them go for nothing or reduced prices.

So are you suggesting that because it hasn't been leaked to the press, VVD or his agent hasn't indicated (whilst not officially handing in a transfer request, I must add) to the club that he wants to leave?

If you are, then i'm sorry to break it to you, but you're wrong.

I still expect VVD to go, but you have to give us credit as any deal will be on our terms.. they pay our price, or they don't get the player. I expect it now to be City, but still something in the back of my mind is saying that this Liverpool saga isn't over, just yet.

The club can't now sell to Liverpool with being made to look complete ****s. While I except he could still go elsewhere I just can't see it being Liverpool now.

This is the first thing the club have done in a while that has got the whole fan base on side they'd be cretins to ruin that by back tracking.

Even if VVD agitates for a move to Liverpool the length of his contract gives us plenty of room to play hardball.

I'm enjoying the Liverpool fans thinking they can still get him if he hands in a transfer request.

Because that wouldn't look like he'd been tapped up at all would it?

Utter ****wits.

There's two things they don't get about "Liverpool have ended their interest":

1. Liverpool have ended their interest

2. The statement is prima facie evidence that they tapped him up in the first place.

I'm enjoying the Liverpool fans thinking they can still get him if he hands in a transfer request.

Because that wouldn't look like he'd been tapped up at all would it?

Utter ****wits.

Browsing RAWK has been highly amusing. There have been some absolutely crazy suggestions on there, including that the club have played a blinder and done this very deliberately :lol:

Talk sport is entertaining today , Dippers fuming saying it happens all the time why are we picking on them, they'll still get him and we'll quieten down once they chuck us a few extra quid etc

Absolutely it happens all the time, no one is denying that. Probably not as obvious as Liverpool have done though.

But other clubs are savvy. Liverpool decided to parade it from the rooftops before they'd even spoken to us via a series of directed media briefings. You can see on twitter that all of the LFC connected journos reported it at EXACTLY the same time at 5pm.

It's amateur hour from Liverpool and their PR team.

They've got history for this. I'm sure we know more about what's gone on in the past with Lallana, Lovren, Mane etc - they were clearly 'spoken to' before they decided to spit their dummies out. I think we've just said, enough's enough. We hold all the aces this summer with a player with 5 years left, we don't need to sell for any reason at all. His value isn't going to drop and he's not going to walk away on a free.

This was the perfect time to show Liverpool up for being the absolute ****ish force they are in the transfer market. Bravo Saints.

I don't see how a transfer request makes any difference. "thanks for your request Virgil. The answer is still no. How's the ankle by the way?"

If we now sell him to the bin dippers, it will truly look like a farce and our board would look pretty ridiculous given the stink they've kicked up. |Maybe next summer when things have died down, if it's Liverpool he really wants to go to.

For the life of me, i can't understand why you would choose them over the likes of Chelsea...if indeed they are interested. Lallana et al didn't have any other suitors, so you can understand it. But VVD?! I went to Uni up there, and that was enough for me.

Absolutely it happens all the time, no one is denying that. Probably not as obvious as Liverpool have done though.

But other clubs are savvy. Liverpool decided to parade it from the rooftops before they'd even spoken to us via a series of directed media briefings. You can see on twitter that all of the LFC connected journos reported it at EXACTLY the same time at 5pm.

It's amateur hour from Liverpool and their PR team.

They've got history for this. I'm sure we know more about what's gone on in the past with Lallana, Lovren, Mane etc - they were clearly 'spoken to' before they decided to spit their dummies out. I think we've just said, enough's enough. We hold all the aces this summer with a player with 5 years left, we don't need to sell for any reason at all. His value isn't going to drop and he's not going to walk away on a free.

This was the perfect time to show Liverpool up for being the absolute ****ish force they are in the transfer market. Bravo Saints.

Makes you wonder what sort of team we'd have now if the tapping up rules had actually worked as intended all along.

Makes you wonder what sort of team we'd have now if the tapping up rules had actually worked as intended all along.

It's a shame really, but we all know it goes on. I'm sure a lot of clubs at our level are applauding our stance. Let's be honest, there aren't many clubs 'at our level' who could potentially jeopardize receiving £60m for a player....but the contract we gave him last year has given us such a strong hand. We can plant our feet on this one and drag their name through the mud.

Would love to know what Virgil is thinking....doesn't strike me as the sort who would kick up a fuss, if i was him I'd be pretty miffed with Liverpool for doing it the wrong way.

Man seriously looks at these Liverpool fans. Owner being investigated is a complete nothing story and the sacking of the manager is hardly a problem because it's our choice to try and improve the performance of the team. Why would we need to 'divert attention' from it? That makes zero sense.

WTF is this guy talking about, how do these muppets think they are experts on a football club they clearly know nothing about.

Our entire business model is not built on being a selling club, our entire business model is built on trying to be the best football club we can within our means.

We sell players because clubs like Liverpool tap up our players all the time and we end up with no choice because the players throw their toys out of the pram and are nearing the last year of our contract so don;t want to let them go for nothing or reduced prices.

The real losers, who may get to keep the best defender in the premier league for another season... christ, that loss would be hard to take :rolleyes:

Liverpool supporting mate of mine reckons we gave them permission to talk to VVD back in march, and this is all cloak and daggers to appease the fans and ensure liverpool get their man at the end of it. Smells like typical scouse delusion to me but who knows?

Lol. If that was true then Liverpool wouldn't have issued a public apology. Tell you Liverpool supporting mate he's a dense ****.

Dont think there is any doubt it happens a lot.

Actually think Spurs are worse than Liverpool.

What is however undeniable is the apology from Liverpool. Be in no doubt that they would only do that if they had absolutely no choice, but to do it.

VVD may well leave. Wont be the first, wont be the last. Face it, we cant even fill SMS so why would he stay??

Personally would like him to do another season then go. That was true of Shaw. Chambers & many others.

Ultimately we ARE a selling club. That's actually the business model....................

Until we get 75000 every other week & can pay £250k pw we always will be!

Every club is a selling club, but we don't sign players to only sell them on, we sign players to improve the team, do our homework on them and hope they will improve to a level greater than what we paid for them.

Because that is all we can for a club our size, hope we find cheaper gems and that allow us to punch above our weight.

But I am 100% sure that if we could have kept Lallana, Lovren, Clyne, Morgan, Wanyama etc. we would have done. But they wouldn't sign new contracts and clubs like Liverpool tapped them up and threw money at them.

What Liverpool did with the releasing the details about Klopp swaying him and saying he only wanted to join Liverpool was to try and stop a bidding war so that they could get him cheaper.

Hmm I know we should expect it but it's never nice to know that your captain and highly paid player is perfectly willing to meet other managers even though he would be fully aware it's against all the rules. Nice one Virgil.

He might stay for another season but I doubt he'll be regarded in quite the same light as before.

Having trawled through this thread and amused myself reading the responses on RAWK this is my take on the situation. My next door neighbour, a Liverpool fan summed it up this morning while we walked the dogs. He made the point that at no time in their recent history had Liverpool bought players who were a real step up and that if you buy players from an upper mid table club, that was, with respect to us, the quality you get. Take Lallana for example. The Lallana I see playing for Liverpool and England is pretty much the same player I saw at Saints. Admittedly playing with better players in the likes of Coutinho may make him appear a better, more accomplished player but he hasn't developed into a world beating, game changing midfielder. The same could be said for Clyne and I still see a Mane, who though brilliant on his day remains as inconsistent as hell. Lovren's initial demise and partial re-hab as a Prem centreback has been well documented, and Ricky Lambert's move was at best sentimental and marked the end of his Premiership career. Which leads me, head scratching, wondering why they've been in for so many of our players over the last three years.

Having trawled through this thread and amused myself reading the responses on RAWK this is my take on the situation. My next door neighbour, a Liverpool fan summed it up this morning while we walked the dogs. He made the point that at no time in their recent history had Liverpool bought players who were a real step up and that if you buy players from an upper mid table club, that was, with respect to us, the quality you get. Take Lallana for example. The Lallana I see playing for Liverpool and England is pretty much the same player I saw at Saints. Admittedly playing with better players in the likes of Coutinho may make him appear a better, more accomplished player but he hasn't developed into a world beating, game changing midfielder. The same could be said for Clyne and I still see a Mane, who though brilliant on his day remains as inconsistent as hell. Lovren's initial demise and partial re-hab as a Prem centreback has been well documented, and Ricky Lambert's move was at best sentimental and marked the end of his Premiership career. Which leads me, head scratching, wondering why they've been in for so many of our players over the last three years.

This in spades.

Hmmm not sure about Mane being inconsistent for Liverpool, certainly not in the way he was for us. The inconsistency to me seemed to be that Liverpool were good when Mane played, and weren't when he was injured/afcon...

Mane has been a brilliant signing for them, as has Clyne, Lallana has been good too. Lovren 50/50 and Lambert poor for them, but he was an exception.

Mane has improved for them definitely, so much so that they pretty much depend on him to break down teams, especially if Coutinho can't bang one in from 30 yards.

Lovren is worse than he was for us, considerably at times and has only recently steadied his form. Lallana as stated has been no better or worse than his last season for us, he's a good player, not a world beater with good technique. He also seems to get knackered by about 70 minutes like he did with us.

Clyne from what I've seen seemed to dip in form for them last year, he was making as many overlapping runs, his first season for them he was very good but again nothing above what he did for us.

To be honest very few of our big money sales have massively improved the teams they have joined and in many cases their careers and/or play seemed to go a bit backwards, certainly that is the case with Morgan, Lovren, Shaw and Chambers. Lambert was just a natural decline to age and no one really begrudged that move. Lallana, Clyne, Wanyama are performing similarly to how they did with us.

Mane is probably the one that has hit new heights and it annoys me that his fee was that low to be honest when you look at some of the figures going around.

Of course all these players bank balances massively swelled which is ultimately what they want I think but I do think it shows the grass is not always greener, there have easily been as many misses as hits in sales from the club.

For me Mane hasn't improved at Liverpool, he's as good as he was here. Was vastly underrated by some here, his quality is reflected by how much we've struggled for goals this season. He's a game changer and match winner on his own, still adamant he'll be one of the top players in world football one day. He's still only 23.

Presumably, having signed a six year contract, VVD would be walking away from quite a large amount of money in annual loyalty bonuses etc if he handed in a transfer request.

Probably not much more than he would earn elsewhere, if the reported £180k-£200k a week offered is accurate. Plus you would have to think that he would get a signing on fee and I'm sure if x club wanted him enough, they would pay him his loyalty bonus if it meant he'd sign for them.

This in spades.

If you backtrack to 2014, Lallana's and Lambert's transfers both occurred following call ups to England. I think we all suspected a now retired senior international was somehow involved in that episode of 'tapping up'. Lovren had his head turned through the media much in the same way as they tried to do with VVD this time around. At the start of that season we still had Cortese in charge and Pochettino as manager we were a club on the up making ambitious noises as to where we wanted to be. No evidence at all, but perhaps the second tier marquee clubs began to take us seriously and saw that in the medium term we were a threat to their position among the elite. Chelsea, Man U, and City were immune but Arsenal Spurs and Liverpool were less so. I just find it interesting that we lost a manager and four players in one go to those clubs and have continued to have players picked off by them since.

Hoping result of this will be us keeping Van Dijk for another season in similar way to how the Morgan situation unfolded.

Making Liverpool look foolish means nothing if we then turn around and flog him to Chelsea for just £50m.

This is my worry..having Liverpool out of the running reduces our options when we do sell him. If either Chelsea or Man City decide he is not for them, the other club left has a free run on him at a reduced value.

Liverpool actions have effectively lost us about £10m, as well as leaving us with a 'disaffected' player.. and that why we should persist with our complaint to the FA PL about thier tactics.

Today the FA are talking to us and the Dippers to find 'a mutual understanding'..in other words to try wriggle out of sanctioning one of thier favoured top teams. We should stand our ground for the sake of all the bullied clubs, and ourselves mainly.

Any punishment short of a transfer embargo would send out a message to those top teams that they can do what they like, so the FA PL will have to 'grow a pair' the same way we seemingly have..So, todays meeting will reveal quite a bit about our resolve and that of the FA PL.

VAN DIJK LATEST

Manchester City will only revive their interest in Virgil van Dijk if Southampton 'hugely reduce' their fee expectations, according to Sky sources.

The Dutch centre-half is hot property this summer with Pep Guardiola identifying him as a top target as he looks to shore up his defence, though City have been concerned about his price.

Southampton's captain revealed Liverpool was his preferred destination over Chelsea and City, and it seemed he was on his way to Anfield with SSN HQ reporting they were prepared to break their transfer record to land him.

However, the transfer sage involving Van Dijk took a twist on Wednesday night when the Reds ended their interest as Jurgen Klopp apologised to Southampton for their conduct in pursuit of the defender.

Sorry City, let's give him to you for what you want to pay. That's how it works.

Being painted as we're the ones in the wrong asking for so much money. Well, perhaps, we actually don't want to sell him? So bog off.

VAN DIJK LATEST

Manchester City will only revive their interest in Virgil van Dijk if Southampton 'hugely reduce' their fee expectations, according to Sky sources.

The Dutch centre-half is hot property this summer with Pep Guardiola identifying him as a top target as he looks to shore up his defence, though City have been concerned about his price.

Southampton's captain revealed Liverpool was his preferred destination over Chelsea and City, and it seemed he was on his way to Anfield with SSN HQ reporting they were prepared to break their transfer record to land him.

However, the transfer sage involving Van Dijk took a twist on Wednesday night when the Reds ended their interest as Jurgen Klopp apologised to Southampton for their conduct in pursuit of the defender.

They can f*ck off after spending over 50mil in 12 months on 2 GOALKEEPERS

Sorry City, let's give him to you for what you want to pay. That's how it works.

Being painted as we're the ones in the wrong asking for so much money. Well, perhaps, we actually don't want to sell him? So bog off.

Yeah, I'm off to the Lambo showroom with that technique :-)

For me Mane hasn't improved at Liverpool, he's as good as he was here. Was vastly underrated by some here, his quality is reflected by how much we've struggled for goals this season. He's a game changer and match winner on his own, still adamant he'll be one of the top players in world football one day. He's still only 23.

Agree, but there were times that he couldn't really be bothered for us. Sunderland home (1-1, Fonte red card) was one of the most obvious displays of not giving a sh1t I've ever seen, to the point I thought he must be injured. That being said, when he got the ball he was still a threat, such is his ability.

I thought he might remain inconsistent after his move and it might be something which hampered how good he eventually became, but looks like it was just a case of 'being bothered' as he hasn't suffered with the same issues at Anfield.

VAN DIJK LATEST

Did he? I must have missed that one...

Edited by doddisalegend