Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Fcking useless Les Reed overpricing our players.

He's not saying that's what he's worth - he's just signalling to other clubs this is how much over the top you'll have to pay to get him.

Quite right too.

He's not saying that's what he's worth - he's just signalling to other clubs this is how much over the top you'll have to pay to get him.

Quite right too.

Not convinced it is massively over priced in fairness. There arent many players out there that would improve 99% of other sides. He is one of them though. I'd say £70m is about the going rate considering his contract situation.

Not convinced it is massively over priced in fairness. There arent many players out there that would improve 99% of other sides. He is one of them though. I'd say £70m is about the going rate considering his contract situation.

Just out of curiosity which clubs are the ones he wouldn't improve.

Just out of curiosity which clubs are the ones he wouldn't improve.

Think you could argue a case for Real Madrid (Ramos and Varane) and Bayern Munich (Hummels and Boateng). Personally I think he's tailor made for Barcelona.

Roboze... time to apologise

Of course i apoligise if any offence was caused.....my main point was, as i said in my original post "just read" or something like that, i wasn't saying it was gospel!, didn;t realise you can only post here if you have irrefutable evidence, i wasn't spouting BS only what i had seen!

Why are Liverpool still favourites to sign him on SkyBet?

Maybe this deal isn't dead... :uhoh:

In small markets like this odds drop significantly from a few people betting on it.

The people most likely betting on VvD to Liverpool are Liverpool fans.

The same Liverpool fans that seem to think VvD will hand in a transfer request and force us to sell him to them.

Think you could argue a case for Real Madrid (Ramos and Varane) and Bayern Munich (Hummels and Boateng). Personally I think he's tailor made for Barcelona.

I am not convinced he would not be an improvement on Ramos. Fewer insane red cards, if nothing else. Plus Ramos is 31. I have watched virtually no Bayern this year so I have no comment there.

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/08/southampton-stand-firm-virgil-van-dijk-following-liverpool-interest/

"Southampton have told Virgil van Dijk that he is not for sale this summer and believe that their complaint over Liverpool’s conduct – which may still result in a formal Premier League investigation – has shown how serious they are about their stance."

And the Echo reporting that the PL is seeking more information on the tapping up complaint:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/15337326.Premier_League_seek_more_information_about_Virgil_van_Dijk__illegal_approach__claim/

Edited by Saint Albert

The Liverpool Echo's version:

"It is understood both clubs have been asked to provide further information to the league regarding the alleged illegal approach from the Reds for Southampton defender van Dijk.

That process is not expected to conclude until Monday at the earliest, although a full inquiry is considered unlikely with both clubs believing the matter closed following Liverpool's remarkable statement of regret and apology on Wednesday."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-van-dijk-southampton-threat-13158056

Shouldn't let them get away with it IMO.

We've arguably achieved what we wanted to from it - Liverpool have pulled out of any attempt to sign him - and are probably happy with that.

Push it further and I guess we risk coming under scrutiny for any players we might like to sign as well, and given it is accepted that some level of tapping occurs for every deal. albeit not at the level Liverpool seem to have gone to, we don't want that either

We've arguably achieved what we wanted to from it - Liverpool have pulled out of any attempt to sign him - and are probably happy with that.

Push it further and I guess we risk coming under scrutiny for any players we might like to sign as well, and given it is accepted that some level of tapping occurs for every deal. albeit not at the level Liverpool seem to have gone to, we don't want that either

Yeh. I think we've made our point. We're letting everyone know that we're not the same selling club as the last few years, having changed strategy and signed everyone to long term deals.

Our lawyers wouldn't have started this if they thought we might be guilty of the same charges so let's push on and shifty them big time.

Fair point but I doubt we would have pushed the complaint if we were potentially dodgy.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/revealed-virgil-van-dijk-received-secret-messages-held-talks-jurgen-klopp-botched-liverpool-transfer-190009053.html

Southampton have reported Liverpool to the Premier League for illegally trying to entice van Dijk to Anfield, with the south coast club infuriated by the actions of the player’s agent and the clubs involved.

We have been told that Van Dijk:

Staged one-on-one talks with Liverpool and Klopp

Received video messages detailing how he would be used in the Reds team

Already finalised personal terms with Liverpool

Has now ‘kicked up a fuss’ in a bid to be sold by Southampton, even though he still has five years left on his current contact with the club.

“The club had to take a stand this week as we have been aware of what has been going on for months and it has gone too far,” the source told us.

“Southampton have told the player that we don’t want to sell him this summer, but he thought he could kick up a big enough fuss that he would be sold for £50m.

“That is never happening and by holding talks with the player, sending him video clips of how he will fit into their team and doing this all without the permission of Southampton, there is no way he will be sold to Liverpool at this stage.

“Of course, every player has a price and if £100m or something close is put on the table, then it will be considered, but Southampton do not need to sell van Dijk this summer.”

If true, that's some way to pay back an enhanced contract and rehabilitation from injury. Also, if true, he should be stripped of the captaincy IMO.

As for Liverpool, a fine will be insufficient. If clubs like Barca, Atletico & Real have had transfer bans in the past, in Spain, then Liverpool aren't so big as to avoid one for this.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

If it's true its very disappointing.

However the purely pragmatic part of me thinks making a big deal of it(stripping captaincy etc) would just drive further wedge in relationship.

I want to keep him and privately telling him how things stand and hope he settles down like Morgan did and doesn't throw his toys out of the pram like others is best course.

^^^^Disgusting - the book should be thrown at them (Liverpool) and Van Dijk comes out of this really, really badly too.

Sure Liverpool, as ever, will get away with it based on their groveling apology.

Best way to punish him is making him see out his whole contract with saints...;)

I wish we were in a position to let these c*nts rot in the reserves, sorry, U23s and run their contracts down. IF this is true, he's just yet another w*nker who is passing through the club and can do one. Football and Saints are fast approaching not getting a penny more out of me, although thanks to the stupid Sky money I'm not sure they'll give a sh*t anyway.

There should be some sort of action taken against agents. This agent Virgil has obviously played a major part in the not so hush hush meetings between Clippity Klopp and VVD.

If the clubs can be fined for improper conduct then so should a players agent.

Difficult to know what to trust on all this... As we do know Les et al have a nasty habit of ruining players reputation with fans prior to a sale.

Nasty habit of putting statements on Liverpool's official website in an attempt to make him look bad, too...

The article is attributed to "Yahoo sports staff". Unless they are making it all up it would seem to be based on info. obtained from someone at the club.

I hope that the PL steps out of its comfort zone and throws the book at Liverpool and the agency. The lack of respect for Saints in this debacle is breathtaking. VVD should be looking at a fine as well, based on what happened to Ashley Cole.

Interesting note at the end about the managerial search being nearly done.

That Liverpool statemewnt is worth looking at again:-

"Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs. We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk. We respect Southampton‘s position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.”

That statement makes no admission over what they had done. It doesn't regret Liverpool's actions, only the media speculation. As for the 'apology' that isn't for Liverpool's actions but for a 'misunderstanding'. It's reported that our club is satisfied, although that might be just because the threat of a transfer to Liverpool is removed. If that limp statement by Liverpool gets them off the hook with the Premier League, it won't deter similar illegal approaches in the future by Liverpool or any of the other wealthy clubs but will the League take on one of their favourites. It will be a surprise if they do.

This is getting so routine every summer it is getting boring. Players throwing their toys out of the pram when they are not aloud to go out and play, removing club affiliation from their social media accounts, Wah wah wah!!.

I sometimes wonder why be bothered with this game anymore.

I wish we were in a position to let these c*nts rot in the reserves, sorry, U23s and run their contracts down. IF this is true, he's just yet another w*nker who is passing through the club and can do one. Football and Saints are fast approaching not getting a penny more out of me, although thanks to the stupid Sky money I'm not sure they'll give a sh*t anyway.

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't give a **** about van Dijk or any player for that matter. The only player worth giving a toss in my decades of supporting Southampton was Le Tiss. Obviously loads more for older fans before that.

The game has changed, and so has the club. If they want to go, f*** them.

Difficult to know what to trust on all this... As we do know Les et al have a nasty habit of ruining players reputation with fans prior to a sale.

Like who?

Schneiderlin

Koeman

Fonte

Lovren

Lallana

All left under a cloud... Its Reeds M.O

As we saw with Fonte dont believe everything you read in the press.

Not saying VVD hasn't been snaking around but ill not just take one or two articles as gospel and sentence VVD without a trial.

Schneiderlin

Koeman

Fonte

Lovren

Lallana

Not saying VVD hasn't been snaking around but ill not just take one or two articles as gospel and sentence VVD without a trial.

So LFCs admittance of guilt doesn't mean anything? It takes two to tango I'm afraid.

So LFCs admittance of guilt doesn't mean anything? It takes two to tango I'm afraid.

Three sides to every story.

How do you know that it wasn't VVD that gave the club the tapping up evidence?

I think VVD DID talk with Klopp and probably thought it wouldn't matter. The reason I think that is because if I was him sitting on the airlines for a few months watching the sh I t on the park that Puel was producing I'd start thinking about moving!! A player of VVDs obvious talent deserves to be playing in a decent team but despite the 5 years he has left we did not do much to encourage him to want to see a few more out down here. Reed must act decisively (something I think he struggles with) and replace Puel and sign 3-4 quality players that tells VVD and everyone else that we do actually mean business and will not settle for mid table stability but push as hard as it will be to break into top 6.

Schneiderlin

Koeman

Fonte

Lovren

Lallana

Schneiderlin didn't leave under a cloud and nothing about Lovren came from Saints.

Lallana acted like a c*nt, Fonte got greedy and Koeman was just a case of us not wanting to go into the last year of his contract without him committing for longer.

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't give a **** about van Dijk or any player for that matter. The only player worth giving a toss in my decades of supporting Southampton was Le Tiss. Obviously loads more for older fans before that.

The game has changed, and so has the club. If they want to go, f*** them.

No. If they've signed a 5 year contract, then **** 'em yes, but by making them stay. What he's going to do.? Refuse to play for 5 years?

No. If they've signed a 5 year contract, then **** 'em yes, but by making them stay. What he's going to do.? Refuse to play for 5 years?

Yep that's what we're going to do, put 70 million into a paper bag and put it out on a park bench every Wednesday with a notice written on it in felt pen inviting people to help themselves to a few quid, because that's what letting a valuable player "rot in the reserves" amounts to.