Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I think it is sad that the players dont show a modicum of respect for the fans, especially when they see the bitterness between our fans and that club.

Why is it always Liverpool, they have won or done anything for years. I could understand if it was Man U, City or Chelsea

Pretty obvious that the Liverpool media is being rounded up to point out that VVD could go on strike, with the subtext being that he should go on strike.

Pretty dodgy ground for them really. Normally it'd be circumstantial at best, no different to the tapping up that goes on every day without being punished, but in the light of us having evidence of tapping up that made Liverpool go running with their tail between their legs... it's pretty clear that if VVD does go to Liverpool, it'll be solely down to illegal tapping up by Liverpool.

That said, while VVD doesn't come out of this looking good, we don't have any reliable evidence that he'll actually force a move OR that he's not willing to play for us.

I think it is sad that the players dont show a modicum of respect for the fans, especially when they see the bitterness between our fans and that club.

Why is it always Liverpool, they have won or done anything for years. I could understand if it was Man U, City or Chelsea

Just to play devil's advocate, Liverpool are a bigger club than Man City. City have bought a few titles here and there recently but I wouldn't put them on the same level. Of course they may, sadly, get there soon enough with continued success but United, Liverpool and Arsenal are probably the biggest English clubs, with Chelsea not far behind now.

I would also much prefer van Dijk to go to City than Liverpool, mainly because of the latter's antics. But not sure it is somehow more morally understandable to want to join Liverpool over Man City. You could probably argue (and I have no doubt the Scousers will) the opposite, that City is all about money whereas Liverpool is more about potential and history.

Just to play devil's advocate, Liverpool are a bigger club than Man City. City have bought a few titles here and there recently but I wouldn't put them on the same level. Of course they may, sadly, get there soon enough with continued success but United, Liverpool and Arsenal are probably the biggest English clubs, with Chelsea not far behind now.

I would also much prefer van Dijk to go to City than Liverpool, mainly because of the latter's antics. But not sure it is somehow more morally understandable to want to join Liverpool over Man City. You could probably argue (and I have no doubt the Scousers will) the opposite, that City is all about money whereas Liverpool is more about potential and history.

Hmmm... the old 'what is a bigger club argument' again. We all know how that ends. Pretty subjective really. Leeds are a big club but I can't see VVD going there. If he wants Champions League football on a regular basis and / or silverware in England he really needs to look at Chelsea or Man City (closely followed by Spurs and Arsenal). If I was him I would be aiming higher - Barcelona, Real Madrid...

Not Oriol, he's different.

In the same way Jose was. And Morgan was. And Virgil is. :scared:

Exactly. Romeu comes across as a top bloke, but before silly season started I really thought that VVD was different and above all this nonsense. More fool me. I probably underestimated the corrupting powers of sports agents.

Hmmm... the old 'what is a bigger club argument' again. We all know how that ends. Pretty subjective really. Leeds are a big club but I can't see VVD going there. If he wants Champions League football on a regular basis and / or silverware in England he really needs to look at Chelsea or Man City (closely followed by Spurs and Arsenal). If I was him I would be aiming higher - Barcelona, Real Madrid...

True, it is rather subjective. Perhaps I'm thinking more about their support base in the country and in the world. As I said, I was just playing devil's advocate, and also because it saddens me that City are only where they are because of money and over time that will be forgotten, if it hasn't been already! I actually agree that he should be aiming higher than Liverpool.

He can aim for what ever club he wants but if those clubs dont come.... I doubt Barca or Real will put up world record fees for him, he aint high profile enough for that cause lets be real here, only people who really follow the PL know him.

I watch a lot of football but i sure as hell dont know the centre-backs of Atalanta, Sevilla, Nice or what ever random club. And selling the purchase of a unknown centre-back (for a world record fee) isnt that easy to your fans, getting a name in like Varane, Hummels, Boateng, Manolas (or who ever) would make much more sense for the fee we want.

Surely if VVD now moves to Liverpool, it will be as a direct result of the previous tapping up by Klopp. The FA would have to act.

Doubt it, we've said Virgil isn't for sale, if he eventually is the FA will just presume that we've altered our position and have sanctioned the sale. They can't do much anyway because the legal eagles will come down on them like a ton of bricks.

But Bayern should be grateful that someone wants to buy their players! They'll make a profit they should be pleased with that! Stop whining about those pesky 'rule' things, bloody Bayern, crying like babies because someone spoiled their auction, small time lol.

Ah the lovely Micky Quim is spouting off. Aldridge is an ex-player just giving his opinion. Blah blah blah. Southampton have made a lot of money of Liverpool (I think that he means we should be grateful!). Southampton need to grow up and just accept that he wants to leave, and that we are annoyed that a bidding war hasn't started. Blah blah blah.

It is such a shame that so much of the football media is so Liverpool biased as objectivity is something that seems devoid in their reporting and commentary.

I'm sure using Aldridge mouthing off gives Liverpool plausible deniability. Doesn't change the fact this sudden re-stirring of the hornet nest by the media seems very pre-meditated. Really hope Saints stick to their guns and don't sell him to Liverpool. As for Van Dijk whilst ex players talking of striking is one thing i'd be surprised if he/his agent think actually striking would be a good move.

Ah the lovely Micky Quim is spouting off. Aldridge is an ex-player just giving his opinion. Blah blah blah. Southampton have made a lot of money of Liverpool (I think that he means we should be grateful!). Southampton need to grow up and just accept that he wants to leave, and that we are annoyed that a bidding war hasn't started. Blah blah blah.

It is such a shame that so much of the football media is so Liverpool biased as objectivity is something that seems devoid in their reporting and commentary.

I really hope Coutinho or VVD go on strike at Liverpool to force a move to Barcelona or Madrid. Of course Aldridge and Quinn will be saying that's it is their right to do so and that Liverpool should let them move without trying to keep them.

I really hope Coutinho or VVD go on strike at Liverpool to force a move to Barcelona or Madrid. Of course Aldridge and Quinn will be saying that's it is their right to do so and that Liverpool should let them move without trying to keep them.

But for VVD to go on strike at Liverpool he'd have to sign for them first right? Badly thought out argument.

Didn't Mane threaten to go on strike to get his move to us. I presume that's ok, you're only a **** if you want to leave us, not join

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember many people in the press urging him to do so though to be fair, which is what has people irritated here.

Personally I don't really care if he goes to Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City or Barcelona I would however expect Liverpool to be paying a premium for being such class less muppets. He's going to leave at some point and the clubs simple goal at that time should be to maximise the return on the investment don't forget Celtic cut a substantial cut of the fee so maybe we should suggest to Liverpool that the price is 50 million to us and they settle what ever is owing to Celtic?

Didn't Mane threaten to go on strike to get his move to us. I presume that's ok, you're only a **** if you want to leave us, not join

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big difference being he didn't have James Beattie telling him to go on strike at Salzburg though.

I haven't got a problem with players coming here, playing well for 2-4 seasons, and then going on for a big profit. That's a fact of life for a club the size of Saints.

What I do have a problem with is players meeting opposition managers in secret meetings, and going on strike to get a move (I didn't particularly like it when Mané did it, which is presumably why Saints didn't want to stand too far in his way out as he may have repeated the incident and the fee may have been a fair bit lower).

I don't know if you're directly quoting the gobby fat scally there but if van Dijk is really that intent on leaving he has to get the ball rolling by putting in a transfer request. I'm sure it's not just about the money so if there's nothing actually coming from VVD surely we have to assume he isn't being kept here against his will? Nothing stopping him making a statement one way or the other to clear the dirty accusations being thrown around.

I don't know if you're directly quoting the gobby fat scally there but if van Dijk is really that intent on leaving he has to get the ball rolling by putting in a transfer request. I'm sure it's not just about the money so if there's nothing actually coming from VVD surely we have to assume he isn't being kept here against his will? Nothing stopping him making a statement one way or the other to clear the dirty accusations being thrown around.

Yeah Quinn said that about five times on the radio in the short time I was listening. Said Saints fans need to stop whining and be grateful we got money from Liverpool. Really annoyed me. Seems to think Liverpool have done nothing wrong and will defend them no matter what.

Yeah Quinn said that about five times on the radio in the short time I was listening. Said Saints fans need to stop whining and be grateful we got money from Liverpool. Really annoyed me. Seems to think Liverpool have done nothing wrong and will defend them no matter what.

Why does anyone take any notice of this fat t wat is beyond me

True, it is rather subjective. Perhaps I'm thinking more about their support base in the country and in the world. As I said, I was just playing devil's advocate, and also because it saddens me that City are only where they are because of money and over time that will be forgotten, if it hasn't been already! I actually agree that he should be aiming higher than Liverpool.

Liverpool are only where they are now because of money, they've splashed an obscene amount of the last 10 years for relatively little return. They are no different to Man City at all, they throw big wages and big transfer fees around just like City, no player really goes to Liverpool cos they won titles 30 years ago. They have also barely developed a player since Gerrard, have very few English/British players like they used to. Whatever identity the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool had has dissapeared in reality and is only clung onto by their fans. Now they both try to buy titles (and have largely failed) and care more about their fanbase in China and how much merchandising they can sell more than the Scousers living around Anfield.

They go because Liverpool pay them £150k a week. If Liverpool fans think they are 'bigger' than Man City they are deluded.

Simple fact is Man City have more money, have a bigger and newer stadium, have won stuff more recently, pay more wages and more likely to win stuff in the near future = bigger club.

Players want money, to win trophies, play in the champions league and probably live in a nice area. None of them really care how big the stadium or the fanbase is (look at Monaco for example) or how many titles the club won 20 years ago, that is all fan banter stuff.

Liverpool are a 2nd tier club these days, and VVD IMO should be playing for a top top club.

Tbh I accept that players want to move but in all the goings on, it is that we should be grateful to Liverpool for their money that I find most silly. Hugely patronising.

"Securing a deal for Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk would sit nicely alongside Keïta’s arrival, although that is now much more complicated because Liverpool were far too busy congratulating themselves at having persuaded the player his future was on Merseyside to actually submit a bid. The Premier League is still awaiting observations from both clubs before deciding whether to formally open a tapping-up investigation into Liverpool’s conduct."

Paul Joyce from the Times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/salah-cannot-be-liverpools-statement-signing-wmgfbdjnl

Liverpool are only where they are now because of money, they've splashed an obscene amount of the last 10 years for relatively little return. They are no different to Man City at all, they throw big wages and big transfer fees around just like City, no player really goes to Liverpool cos they won titles 30 years ago. They have also barely developed a player since Gerrard, have very few English/British players like they used to. Whatever identity the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool had has dissapeared in reality and is only clung onto by their fans. Now they both try to buy titles (and have largely failed) and care more about their fanbase in China and how much merchandising they can sell more than the Scousers living around Anfield.

They go because Liverpool pay them £150k a week. If Liverpool fans think they are 'bigger' than Man City they are deluded.

Simple fact is Man City have more money, have a bigger and newer stadium, have won stuff more recently, pay more wages and more likely to win stuff in the near future = bigger club.

Players want money, to win trophies, play in the champions league and probably live in a nice area. None of them really care how big the stadium or the fanbase is (look at Monaco for example) or how many titles the club won 20 years ago, that is all fan banter stuff.

Liverpool are a 2nd tier club these days, and VVD IMO should be playing for a top top club.

Spot on! Remember how the bestest fans on earths reacted when Gerrard wanted to move for money and medals a decade ago - death threats towards him and his family. Lovely club - http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/why-gerrard-did-not-sign-for-chelsea-7187920.html

Spot on! Remember how the bestest fans on earths reacted when Gerrard wanted to move for money and medals a decade ago - death threats towards him and his family. Lovely club - http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/why-gerrard-did-not-sign-for-chelsea-7187920.html

I recall they did not react favourably to Sterling when he pushed for a move to City, as well. I wonder what Aldridge and Quinn had to say about that?

I recall they did not react favourably to Sterling when he pushed for a move to City, as well. I wonder what Aldridge and Quinn had to say about that?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/20876/9911128/liverpool-better-off-without-sterling-says-john-aldridge

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/football-lacking-honesty---thats-9705734

I think most of their fans still live in the 80s when they were winning just about everything and were seen as the club to join.

Now, though, they've not won the top division in 26 years and, despite spending huge amounts of cash, have only occasionally threatened to win it again. Unfortunately, that lack of succsess hasn't lowered the sense of superiority their fans (& seemingly ex-pros) have when judging others. It's a pity many players who sign on with Liverpool can't see past their history to realise they're only now really clinging on to the shirt tails of more successful sides in recent years, like Chelsea, the 2 Manchester clubs and Arsenal.

A lot of what you say is true, certainly about players not really caring about the stadium or fanbase, but I still think it's wrong to put Man City above Liverpool on the basis of the last 10 years. Man City can't fill their stadium. If they lost their money and ended up fighting relegation it wouldn't be much of a story. If Liverpool were near the bottom the news would be full of it, even more so than they already are.

Players want to play for Man Utd because they're Man Utd. In the same way they want to play for Barcelona or Real Madrid. Of course players play for Monaco because of the cash, but not many of the world's best go there. I don't put Liverpool in that same top bracket, but if there is a sliding scale of reputation - perhaps that is a better way of putting it than 'big club' - then I still beg to differ that Man City now find themselves higher up.

At no point have I argued that VVD should want to join Liverpool, or that Liverpool would be a better destination for him than City. Quite the opposite in fact, but my comments were specifically aimed at the idea City have automatically climbed onto the top shelf on account of totally buying their success. I realise that all the clubs at the top are now spending ludicrous money, but City did it when they were a postiviely-midtable outfit and the scale at which they did it dwarfed even Abramovich's spending at Chelsea.

I guess my angle is more anti-City than pro-Liverpool!

I'm fairly sure they meekly stood aside when some bigger clubs came in for Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling and held the door open for them when they left. Oh, that's right I remember now, the self-pity-city boys threw their toys and had to terrorise Gerrard and his family to stay put. If they were ever serious and could come up with the bucks, I'd sell him to Koeman's scallies now...