Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

How can you be 'very close' to signing someone but still be in a position to be blown out the water by someone else? Doesn't that just mean you want to sign someone? I can't stand that **** he's a parody on TalkSport (not that most of them aren't).

I've largely given up with talkSport. Not sure if Quim is doing this because he is blinded by LFC bias or whether he thinks that if he says it is close that he is helping LFC make those signings.

Recently switched to 5Live during the coverage of the Manchester attack and have decided to remain there, choosing to listen to non-football discussion over TalkSport because it's that bad

The Liverpool Echo reporting that their team is still hopeful getting VVD despite all the other reports re City and Chelsea, with Liverpool willing to compete with the amounts offered by the other teams, and Klopp is apparently some kind of player magnet:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/virgil-van-dijk-still-liverpools-13123614

£70 million price tag being reported now that's more like it shouldn't be a penny less and we should play hardball with the big teams. Either one of them pays up or they can look elsewhere ! £70 million would be too much for us to turn down imo but £50 million is too low in today's crazy prices

The Liverpool Echo reporting that their team is still hopeful getting VVD despite all the other reports re City and Chelsea, with Liverpool willing to compete with the amounts offered by the other teams, and Klopp is apparently some kind of player magnet:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/virgil-van-dijk-still-liverpools-13123614

They've been pretty spot on with Lallana, Lovren, Clyne, Mane and Koeman in the past.

Looks like some games being played out in the press. Claims that Liverpool's chances have taken a blow after deciding to offer VVD only a 130k a week instead of the 180k a week his representives claim Liverpool first offered....

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651077B1B5B&tid=7AFC0AA3B5514525A80F33F97B57C132&url=http%3a%2f%2freadliverpoolfc.com%2f2017%2f06%2f01%2fliverpools-change-wage-offer-threatens-van-dijk-deal%2f&c=6752622337889820330&mkt=en-gb

I can't believe that the question of a mere £50k per week would get in the way of the chance to play for Klopp. In fact the Klopp factor is surely worth more than that!!!

Liverpool players should be paying Liverpool just for the chance to bask in Klopp's clown like gurning every match day.

Will be the going rate for a decent CB in a year or two's time. So for one of the world's best now, and for one already signed up long term, it is a perfectly reasonable sum to demand.

Still can see City going close to that figure. Will come down to how much Club want to keep him. Can't see VD kicking off overly. Doesn't strike me as the type.

Maybe it is because I am a sensitive soul, but I sometimes get the feeling that the press look at us as if we are a bit intellectually challenged for having the temerity of asking for such a huge amount, not least when Liverpool want to buy him. I don't see the same attitude with the £60m for de Gea nor £100m for Lukaku.

Stones set the bar for defenders this season, and he's **** (even accounting for the being English bit) and despite what the media like to tell us, in my opinion, he will never be a top centre half, he will never dominate a centre forward like Virg can (i know that's not everything). So £50mil shouldn't get you Van Dijk. If we don't sell him this summer, City etc will have to get someone else, and he'll probably be better than Stones so he'll probably cost around £60mil, but he probably won't be as good as Virg. So, next summer, the bar will have been set at whatever this new defender costs, and Virg will be worth even more (providing he doesn't get injured). Keep him, for **** sake.

Everton have the right idea. If players want out then slap massive fees on their heads and dont negotiate for less.

Lukaku 100m

Barklay 50m

Stones 50m

We are a soft touch and thats why Liverpool keep wanting to buy from us.

Everton have the right idea. If players want out then slap massive fees on their heads and dont negotiate for less.

Lukaku 100m

Barklay 50m

Stones 50m

Lukaku only has 2 years left I believe? (Please correct me if that's not the case)

So there is no way they'll get £100M for him. They'll accept the first big-ish offer for him because next summer he'll be available for less money and the year after that for nothing at all. And if the player kicks up a fuss, that'll weaken their hand further.

Lukaku only has 2 years left I believe? (Please correct me if that's not the case)

So there is no way they'll get £100M for him. They'll accept the first big-ish offer for him because next summer he'll be available for less money and the year after that for nothing at all. And if the player kicks up a fuss, that'll weaken their hand further.

One year left as well for Barkley? £35m is as good as it will get, perhaps more with speculative add-ons. Even then, it's only because he's England qualified. Lukaku they may get £60-65m for, two years still, another year of 25 goals is worth a lot of money. They won't get £100m though. Stones will improve next season IMO.

So £70m for VVD is fair.

We will have to wait and see, but think its mostly us that panic sell at low fees once contracts get low. Everton seem quite strong at negotiating

Suspect they will definitely get more than we did for Mane

as for Barkley well we got 12m for Wanyama (in similar contract circumstances) and suspect again Everton will be better at negotiating again here

Edited by Heisenberg

We will have to wait and see, but think its mostly us that panic sell at low fees once contracts get low. Everton seem quite strong at negotiating

Suspect they will definitely get more than we did for Mane

as for Barkley well we got 12m for Wanyama (in similar contract circumstances) and suspect again Everton will be better at negotiating again here

He is better goalscorer than Mane so they should

£70 million is fair enough, should make them think twice.

I don't think Liverpool can pay that much, their new CEO was saying they want smart buys and Coutinho only cost £8 million, but thing is the media have such a Liverpool bias going on they'll think we'll just swoon and roll over for a lesser fee. As long as we stick to our guns and hold out for that high fee I'm not so bothered.

Preference is obviously him staying, then selling him to another league (I'd take a £20 million hit to see him go to Juve or Barca or Real over Man city or Liverpool), but if it is PL the and he wants to go then make them pay through the nose.

Lukaku 100m

Barklay 50m

Stones 50m

Barkley only has 1 year left. He can go on a free anywhere next summer. He can go on a free to Europe in the January window. £50 million is a ridiculous price for someone as inconsistent as him. That being said, I have a feeling that we are in for a ridiculous transfer window.

Lukaku 100m

Barklay 50m

Stones 50m

Both Barkley and Lukaku are still at Everton...

I don't agree Shaw, Schneiderlin, Fonte, Lovren, Chambers or Clyne were soft touches. Happy with the fees we received for all of those.

Only issues with transfer fees I have were:

- Wanyama, I feel we could have got 20m+ for him

- Mane could have gone for nearer 50m given the impact he's had at Liverpool and the fact everyone was touting him as world class when he left.

- I thought Lallana was a reasonable sum at the time, I didn't realise he would turn out quite so good at Liverpool/under Klopp, perhaps we could have held out for 10m more in hindsight, though that's a bit greedy

I guess you can't always know what impact a player will have and whether they will fly or flop.

I don't agree Shaw, Schneiderlin, Fonte, Lovren, Chambers or Clyne were soft touches. Happy with the fees we received for all of those.

- Mane could have gone for nearer 50m given the impact he's had at Liverpool and the fact everyone was touting him as world class when he left.

- I thought Lallana was a reasonable sum at the time, I didn't realise he would turn out quite so good at Liverpool/under Klopp, perhaps we could have held out for 10m more in hindsight, though that's a bit greedy

I guess you can't always know what impact a player will have and whether they will fly or flop.

You were happy with the headline figures the papers speculated about - like me at time. But the released financials showed that we don't get anywhere near the fees reported + once agents, previous club and player take a cut we are actually seeing very little (compared to the original headline totals)

Think the same will happen with VVD - papers will wildly speculate the selling fee (40-70m) and some will take the highest reported total and feel happy. Then the financials will arrive and we will see that we got only a fraction of the reported fee.

It might be worth remembering that last seasons player of the season went for about 30% less than Mané

You were happy with the headline figures the papers speculated about - like me at time. But the released financials showed that we don't get anywhere near the fees reported + once agents, previous club and player take a cut we are actually seeing very little (compared to the original headline totals)

Think the same will happen with VVD - papers will wildly speculate the selling fee (40-70m) and some will take the highest reported total and feel happy. Then the financials will arrive and we will see that we got only a fraction of the reported fee.

I'm sure you're right, I haven't got a clue what's behind the numbers. But then doesn't the same apply to every other transfer fee reported? Everton most likely didn't get 50 million for Stones, for example, after all these taxes/fees.

It might be worth remembering that last seasons player of the season went for about 30% less than Mané

True, goal scorers are always more expensive in general, though.

I was surprised when Mourinho broke the world record for Pogba and then played him as a defensive midfielder where he never got near the goal, until he switched with Herrera.

I'm sure you're right, I haven't got a clue what's behind the numbers. But then doesn't the same apply to every other transfer fee reported? Everton most likely didn't get 50 million for Stones, for example, after all these taxes/fees.

Yes of course. But that doesn't suit the ridiculous agenda. I'm sure I heard that Pogba's agent pocketed something like 40m when Utd bought him.

No club gets the entire fee that is headlined but this buffoon seems to think that it only applies to Saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would yoube happy if we kept VvD, but didn't buy another central defender?

Started the season with VvD, Yoshida, Stephens and Gardos.

Nope, and given the links with CBs neither would Saints I'd imagine.