Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

They haven't offered anything. They withdrew interest before they got that far.

They've used their usual plants in the media to rubbish the idea he's worth anything like that much and suggest £40-50m

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What Naby Keita ?

Was just replying to post about Leipzig refusing 70 million for him.

LOL

Have a look at the twitter interaction as well, some guy saying no big clubs came in for him, Tiss saying he turned down Liverpool but that might not count!

Some of the replies to his tweet...LOL...it seems like 90% of Liverpool supporters have no understanding of how irony works.

Where did this £70 mln price tag come from. It seems a lot more than anyone has ever payed for a defender. I rate VVD but he wasn't even a first choice in a pretty dodgy Dutch defense.
Simple. Comparison with other fees, and he's probably the best CB available.

It will be Jack Stephens next because it's never going to stop.

And this is why I'm out... It might be our model and thank you oh mighty wealthy owners who saved my club... But for crying our loud... It's pointless now.

Where did this £70 mln price tag come from. It seems a lot more than anyone has ever payed for a defender. I rate VVD but he wasn't even a first choice in a pretty dodgy Dutch defense.

Fantasy football I expect. Van Dijk is worth no more than Kyle Walker so 50 million. We aren't selling him anyway apparently so the sum is purely academic.

This is what I've been told from my mates at Stoke & City today FWIW.

Saints have no intention of selling VVD. They've said so to Chelsea, City and the dippers.

The cash price to "think about it" is £75m, upfront, no add ons, which I think we'd all agree is an insane amount

They were in agreement that someone will panic as August comes and agrees to meet the price but both agreed that he's very unlikely to go for less.

I think this one of the posts where the potential price was first mentioned

No we don't all agree £75m is an insane amount. If you mean all prices are now insane I would agree but if Stones was £50m last year and Walker is £50m this year then £75m is not unreasonable and could be £90m next year. What will burst the bubble is my question

Fantasy football I expect. Van Dijk is worth no more than Kyle Walker so 50 million. We aren't selling him anyway apparently so the sum is purely academic.
Lol. If walker worth £50m then vvd worth double that if we're basing it on footballing ability. Spurs have mugged city right off and yet they still have a better right back (trippier) at the club.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

No we don't all agree £75m is an insane amount. If you mean all prices are now insane I would agree but if Stones was £50m last year and Walker is £50m this year then £75m is not unreasonable and could be £90m next year. What will burst the bubble is my question

They're all insane amounts. Really hope Sky go bust and stops this ridiculous escalation of cash in the game [sic].

They're all insane amounts. Really hope Sky go bust and stops this ridiculous escalation of cash in the game [sic].

Aren't Sky set to be taken over by err Fox is it ? Perhaps something will change but whilst there's an avidity for football in the Far East I can't see it happening in the short term. When China has it's own equivalent perhaps they'll not want to see ours so much.

If Saints can identify perhaps 2 or 3 top quality players we can sign that will demonstrably improve our first team, [that we can't sign with out selling VVD] then if we get the transfer fee we require, let him go. Other wise regardless to any pressure from the player he must be made to stay. I am sure he will sort himself out once the transfer window closes. This is very tiresome and unfortunately is a situation that will happen again and again.

I can totally understand him wanting to leave for a bigger club more money etc. but we are in the driving seat because of the long contract he has recently signed so I hope we do not cave in to the player on this occasion.....

Maybe if he was first choice it would be less dodgy?

Sky subscriptions have been suffering due to footie streaming haven't they? BT and foreign tv money mean even that wouldn't kill prem footie.

If Saints can identify perhaps 2 or 3 top quality players we can sign that will demonstrably improve our first team, [that we can't sign with out selling VVD] then if we get the transfer fee we require, let him go. Other wise regardless to any pressure from the player he must be made to stay. I am sure he will sort himself out once the transfer window closes. This is very tiresome and unfortunately is a situation that will happen again and again.

I can totally understand him wanting to leave for a bigger club more money etc. but we are in the driving seat because of the long contract he has recently signed so I hope we do not cave in to the player on this occasion.....

what is preventing us signing us what we need even without the VVD money? About 20th richest club in the world means we should be signing roughly the 20th best player in the world in every position shouldn't we?

VFTT is one of those who is pretty reliable when it comes to little snippets of info.

The fact it's come from other clubs than Saints probably means it's the most reliable because it would be not just from Saints' view.

Interesting that people don't think VVD is worth £75m. The question is what is he worth to us as well as others - in its simplest form - for me keeping VVD means we have a remote chance of relegation. Losing him and failing to replace with a quality cb increases that chance hugely. How much is a Season in the prem worth ? 75m ?. Then think of the reality that a chunk of that 75m would go to Celtic / signing on fees / agents fees and it doesn't seem like such a great deal....we need to keep him and find a replacement over the next year (but actually find someone - not like we did with Wanyana). This also makes the decision to replace Fonte with a rookie from a weak league seem even more of a gamble.....they must have had an inkling this may happen. It's done now - but time to learn from mistakes (anyone remember the Svensson relegation year - if we had replaced him with quality rather than the likes of Davenport we would have stayed up).

what is preventing us signing us what we need even without the VVD money? About 20th richest club in the world means we should be signing roughly the 20th best player in the world in every position shouldn't we?

Well the best team in the world might want the best striker and the 5th best striker as a back up. So probably the best we can hope for is some one in the top 40 with a top 60 as a back up and I would say we have that or better at most positions. (80/120 in those positions where there are two slots like center back))

The top 10 clubs probably buy up the top 100 players in every position. Like in society, the rest get the scraps.

Reckon VvD is in catch 22 here, if he really does have his heart set on a move only to Liverpool.

Liverpool won't bid unless we ask them to, because of the backing down and apology.

We won't ask them to, because of the actions that led to the backing down and the apology, and how it'd look to us fans, not to mention actually wanting to keep hold of him.

This feels like the next dump in a continuing and escalating line of horse**** from Liverpool. It's part of their attempts to rehabilitate their continuing interest for VVD, since they arsed it up so royally in June. If Saints don't contact them after this public notice, Liverpool will still be in for him.

This represents a slight change in matters.

FWIW I see this making it easier for other clubs to join in, what was perceived as a private party.

It will make our position easier to ignore the pressure from Liverpool.

However, I don't see Man City or Chelsea joining in unless the price is under £60m.

Where does that leave Van Dijk, now that Liverpool reiterated their promise to not pursue him? He will feel as if they have hung him out to dry just after he started to burn his bridges with us. Will this show him that his great love affair with Kloop is not resipricated?

What Van Dijk needs is a week away from it all, on a desert island, with no mobiles, no internet, no TV, AND NO BLOODY AGENT.

I've gone from thinking he's gone, no way back. To having some hope he will stay, and we all know what hope can do to you!

Sky subscriptions have been suffering due to footie streaming haven't they? BT and foreign tv money mean even that wouldn't kill prem footie.

I work for BT and trust me they will not bid next time around - look up where the head of BT Sports (lady) that negotiated that deal is now. Sky subs have dropped by nearly 50% ahead of the new season. Not sure there is that much foreign money for live TV rights (could be wrong, but they show live PL games on a Saturday in Ireland and the Irish TV stations are broke so can't be paying too much). In any case this gravy train will not continue for ever, and maybe we are prudent to keep our powder dry and not spend big right now - by all means sell that gutless, disloyal, spoilt, dummy spitting baby for as much as we can, and invest wisely if we can.

The only thing that might keep the golden goose going is the likes of Amazon, Google etc. - who may pay for live updates to increase advertising hits. However they are really really tough negotiators and not sure they would pay anywhere near the same. Interesting times ahead and football, EPL in particular, is the last place I would ever invest in to make money.

We can debate VVD as much as we want but the decision lies with one person.

If Les Reed thinks he is bad for the morale of the club he will leave for Liverpool no doubt.

A statement will come out saying we tried as hard as we could to stop him but action was taken because of the circumstances.

Sorry, but I can't trust Les on what is going to happen next as a half a dozen others have left for the same place.

We can debate VVD as much as we want but the decision lies with one person.

If Les Reed thinks he is bad for the morale of the club he will leave for Liverpool no doubt.

A statement will come out saying we tried as hard as we could to stop him but action was taken because of the circumstances.

Sorry, but I can't trust Les on what is going to happen next as a half a dozen others have left for the same place.

Yes I'm sure Les has done all he can to bring about this outcome.

So someone on twitter has posted a photo of VVD at Disneyland.

That could mean two things - PSG are in for him... or is he meeting Pompey's new owner for a shock move? :scared:

I reckon he's been told to go away, get his head right, and come back ready for the fray. Didn't we do something similar with Morgan?

With this supposed stance from Liverpool that they will wait for encouragement before making a formal bid we will see how serious Reed was about not selling VVD. We knew he wanted to go, so nothing has really changed as yet.

Big month ahead for Reed.

With this supposed stance from Liverpool that they will wait for encouragement before making a formal bid we will see how serious Reed was about not selling VVD. We knew he wanted to go, so nothing has really changed as yet.

Big month ahead for Reed.

Yep. Will take quite a U-turn if we invite Liverpool to bid.

This makes me feel we should be more determined to tough it out and tell Virgil he's going nowhere this year. Give us a good season and we'll be fair next year.

We are SO in the driving seat here, clearly.

He apparently only wants to go to Liverpool, and Liverpool cannot approach us.

Unless Reed capitulates (in which case he should lose his job), he aint going for anything south of 70m, maybe 65m if another club steps in.

Yep. Will take quite a U-turn if we invite Liverpool to bid.

This makes me feel we should be more determined to tough it out and tell Virgil he's going nowhere this year. Give us a good season and we'll be fair next year.

It will be nothing short of a disgrace if we make a u turn, we have said hes not for sale and we must now stick to it what ever happens

I'm probably very late to the party but see that according to SSN VvD has not traveled to France for the pre-season training camp. Old news I guess.
Welcome to meltdown express. Yes, we did hear that a few days ago.