Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Just get him out of the club now.

Why on earth would we want to do that ?

Holland have a vital World Cup Qualifier against France at the end of August and another against Sweden in October.

Let him train alone for the time being. He'll see sense soon enough.

Source close to the player will be his agent then....
Absolutely. This really is quite ridiculous. Agent simply says he expects the move to happen. In other words, he's desperate for the move to happen and thinks this might create a bit more pressure. It changes nothing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just get him out of the club now.
It's easy to take that line, but if you think through the bigger situation, it's far too simplistic.

We have no bids, because we've said he's not for sale. If we now say we want rid, and invite bids, we halve his value. As he's declared Scouseland to be the promised land and Klopp the Messiah, they'll be able to drop the offer even lower since there will be no opposition. Going well so far, isn't it?

And then, as has been discussed on here as nauseam, this will give out the message to any of our players that, no matter how long their contract, and how determined Saints are to keep them, if you have a big enough tantrum you can create the situation in which fans and the club will give in and say, "Too much trouble. Get him out of the club now" In other words, players can ignore contracts and always get their own way.

It also gives the message to other clubs that it's easy to get our players. Just break the rules, let them know you're interested, turn their heads and tell them to go on strike.

At some point this has to stop, or the future of football is bleak. So, IMO, Saints gave a big responsibility to hold firm. £75m, upfront, no add-ons, or he stays.

Edited by Shroppie

Is he sold yet? Good player, but can't wait till he's gone, disrupted the whole team

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Its disrupted the whole of liverpool and sky sports news but it really wont make a lot of difference to the squads mentality at the moment

as they are training hard for the new season like professionals should be...

We cannot sell him this season under any circumstances or we will look like idiots

Utterly pointless article as it goes on to say that neither Liverpool nor Saints have changed their position. The news is there is no news!

With Coutinho now strongly rumoured to be heading to Barca, Liverpool are being touted as a 'selling club' :lol:

Will this affect any potential (yup, I said 'potential') move for VvD to Liverpool? Surely he wouldn't want to join yet another selling club?

With Coutinho now strongly rumoured to be heading to Barca, Liverpool are being touted as a 'selling club' [emoji38]

Will this affect any potential (yup, I said 'potential') move for VvD to Liverpool? Surely he wouldn't want to join yet another selling club?

Give me a list of clubs that could hang on to a player if Barcelona came calling?

I would have thought the moment any other club put an offer on the table it allows Liverpool to then make an approach. Whether the club could keep his gent quiet, but perhaps the club may do a deal with another behind closed doors.

It is amazing how the fanbase quickly have decided that it is OK to sell VVD now, just a little murmur and the whole attitude changed .

It serves the club quite well as they can now sell and look the innocent party, even though it would potentially mean that they have reneged on their pledge

This is no different to the Morgan situation two seasons ago. His head wasn't right so he missed most of pre season, we dug our heals in and he stayed, had a stinking season then got his move.

This is also a routine to year so it will be in Virgils interest to play well.

He owes us one more season!

In less than a year we have gone from Fonte and VVD, to Yoshida and Stephens. Not the right direction.

I can sort of buy Stephens being a gd replacement for Fonte. I mean, where was Fonte when he was 23? On loan at Estrela Amadora, whoever the fk they are. I thought he done great for us, but we done better for him, cos he weren't always gonna make it top level. It wouldn't surprise me if Stephens works out just as good.

If VVD does go tho, I will be watching with interest to see who Replaces Him. If it does turn out to be Yoshida, I will slightly wet the bed prob.

Fonte and VVD to Yoshida & Stephens

Wanyama and Morgan to Romeu & JWP

Mane and Lallana to Redmond & Tadic

We are getting weaker all over.

Perhaps the 60-70m for VVD will go fully back into strengthening the squad ala Everton and the lukaku monies?

Mane arrived after Lallana left.

This is no different to the Morgan situation two seasons ago. His head wasn't right so he missed most of pre season, we dug our heals in and he stayed, had a stinking season then got his move.

Stinking season....? Do you mean storming season..???

Mane arrived after Lallana left.

I have this clown on ignore, but reading some of the bits people quote him on, it's so obvious what his game is, and it certainly isn't a supporter of Southampton. I wish people would just ignore him, he'll go away then!

It's easy to take that line, but if you think through the bigger situation, it's far too simplistic.

We have no bids, because we've said he's not for sale. If we now say we want rid, and invite bids, we halve his value. As he's declared Scouseland to be the promised land and Klopp the Messiah, they'll be able to drop the offer even lower since there will be no opposition. Going well so far, isn't it?

And then, as has been discussed on here as nauseam, this will give out the message to any of our players that, no matter how long their contract, and how determined Saints are to keep them, if you have a big enough tantrum you can create the situation in which fans and the club will give in and say, "Too much trouble. Get him out of the club now" In other words, players can ignore contracts and always get their own way.

It also gives the message to other clubs that it's easy to get our players. Just break the rules, let them know you're interested, turn their heads and tell them to go on strike.

At some point this has to stop, or the future of football is bleak. So, IMO, Saints gave a big responsibility to hold firm. £75m, upfront, no add-ons, or he stays.

Excellent post.

Its a horrible situation. Player power looks in control. Somehow the balance has to be restored so that contracts mean something. Its our club thats in the firing line and with a new manager, poor fellow. Manager and Uncle Les need our backing, reckon they are doing well so far.

Morgan had a good season. Wanyama was awful

In less than a year we have gone from Fonte and VVD, to Yoshida and Stephens. Not the right direction.

It would be a total lack of ambition to start the season with Stephens and Yoshida, despite their efforts last season. As for the Polish guy he looks like another Gardos!! What a wasted window so far.

I would love to keep VVD but, realistically, I think he will go.

Football fans have short memories and I think the board can ride the storm but ONLY if we get top dollar and re-invest quickly. We desperately need a more mobile and scoring midfielder.

What I would find difficult to forgive would be a below value sale at the end of the window and no improvements to the first team.

Doesn't sound a lot like VVD is thinking of backing down like Schneiderlin did - which is important.

Mark Hughes just now on Sky was talking about Arnautovic and said once a player expresses that strong a desire to leave there isn't much option other than to sell for as much as you can.

I think that is where we are with VVD and why he will go.

Doesn't sound a lot like VVD is thinking of backing down like Schneiderlin did - which is important.

Mark Hughes just now on Sky was talking about Arnautovic and said once a player expresses that strong a desire to leave there isn't much option other than to sell for as much as you can.

Different types of fella really. VvD has been here what 2 years and Schneiderlin had been with the club for 6 at the time.

Also in 2014 we'd already sold a stack of players and the axe just fell on Morgan. If he'd gone first it could easily have fallen on

Lallana or Chambers.

If we don't backdown either though where does that leave vvd? He has no choice but to be a professional once the transfer window closes, if he doesn't play to the best of his ability that's not gonna do his career and hopes of a big move any favours.

Under no circumstances should we open talks with Liverpool once they know we are over a barrel they will try to pay under the odds also, no way we should reward them for illegally turning our players head

Made me laugh

Virgil van Dijk is better than Liverpool and has been ill-advised - ex-Southampton striker

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/833152/Virgil-van-Dijk-Liverpool-Transfer-News-Southampton-gossip-rumours

And Flash Gordon Watson is right, that as of today, Liverpool are not likely Premier League winners. However, they will argue that by adding quality such as VVD they hope to be in that number. But right now, he could do better than Liverpool.

Agree with the above,

As for Virgil I think we should sell now and get a replacement in.... No use in keeping him here to disrupt other players. Get as much money as we can and get a suitable replacement in.

Again! he is not disrupting anyone in the first team squad as he is training away from them and they will have seen it all before and wont bat an eye lid...

I thought Virgil was different to be honest, but he's gone down in my estimations. We made a huge commitment to him last summer, that wouldn't have been cheap for us in terms of signing on fee's etc. He'd have been getting his increased wage whilst he was recovering from injury as well, something else we provided him and helped him with. But seemingly in the time he wasn't playing for us, and after he'd used our resources to rehabilitate he was chatting to Klopp behind our backs - now if he cannot accept that it was wrong of Liverpool and himself to do that, then he's quite flawed - he needs to show more respect to the club who pay him handsomely. This is also not forgetting the fact that he was made captain for us, he's got that responsibility as well - but he's seemingly acted like a sneaky piece of work.

But what I will say is that all of this has come on the back of what is nothing other than an orchestrated tapping up attempt. The rules against tapping up are there to protect the clubs from having unsettled players. The rules have failed us here. If i was at the club, I'd be hell bent on getting Liverpool shafted - because they've not done anything by the book here. You just get the feeling that we don't want to play too hard though.

Horrible situation for the club to be in, but I just think they need to get VVD to suck it up, get used to it, you're paid well, you can and will do better than Liverpool....so hold fire and don't be such a ****!

Horrible situation for the club to be in, but I just think they need to get VVD to suck it up, get used to it, you're paid well, you can and will do better than Liverpool....so hold fire and don't be such a ****!

Except that compared to what he can get elsewhere he's not paid particularly well. Dutch press said about 60K/week if you like it in those terms, can easily get double elsewhere but for me it's no Europe that's the problem. Maybe that will cause a bit of a pay cut all round. And then we don't know what sort of friction his injury may have caused between himself and the club.

Edited by Window Cleaner

If it gets to end of window and he is still here VVD will back down what other choice does he have? It would harm his own career to refuse to play for a whole season. Its worth bearing in mind as yet we haven't had an actual bid for him from anyone it would have made more sense for VVD to wait for someone to make an actual offer and then throw his toys out of the pram if no one actually makes an offer for him this window he is going to end up looking a bit of a tit.

Made me laugh

Virgil van Dijk is better than Liverpool and has been ill-advised - ex-Southampton striker

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/833152/Virgil-van-Dijk-Liverpool-Transfer-News-Southampton-gossip-rumours

Brilliant - that wound a few bin dippers up. But, when you actually consider what he's said - it's pretty much spot on really. Liverpool are a club who are pointing at passed glories and actually haven't won too much recently. VvD could do an awful lot better, so the article was correct really.

If it gets to end of window and he is still here VVD will back down what other choice does he have? It would harm his own career to refuse to play for a whole season. Its worth bearing in mind as yet we haven't had an actual bid for him from anyone it would have made more sense for VVD to wait for someone to make an actual offer and then throw his toys out of the pram if no one actually makes an offer for him this window he is going to end up looking a bit of a tit.

Exactly, that coupled with the fact that Liverpool's last official stance was that they had 'ended all interest in the player'. It's not pretty, but as I see it, we hold all the card's - nobody has yet put in an official bid for him.

Personally, I hope that somebody from the Premier League is monitoring this situation quite closely, because at the end of the day if he ends up a Liverpool, it paves the way for under contract players to just deal freely with other clubs, organise their own transfers and then strike if the holding club refuse to co-operate.

Exactly, that coupled with the fact that Liverpool's last official stance was that they had 'ended all interest in the player'. It's not pretty, but as I see it, we hold all the card's - nobody has yet put in an official bid for him.

Personally, I hope that somebody from the Premier League is monitoring this situation quite closely, because at the end of the day if he ends up a Liverpool, it paves the way for under contract players to just deal freely with other clubs, organise their own transfers and then strike if the holding club refuse to co-operate.

This is exactly why he must be made to stay no matter what...

I thought Virgil was different to be honest, but he's gone down in my estimations. We made a huge commitment to him last summer, that wouldn't have been cheap for us in terms of signing on fee's etc. He'd have been getting his increased wage whilst he was recovering from injury as well, something else we provided him and helped him with. But seemingly in the time he wasn't playing for us, and after he'd used our resources to rehabilitate he was chatting to Klopp behind our backs - now if he cannot accept that it was wrong of Liverpool and himself to do that, then he's quite flawed - he needs to show more respect to the club who pay him handsomely. This is also not forgetting the fact that he was made captain for us, he's got that responsibility as well - but he's seemingly acted like a sneaky piece of work.

Above all else, this is the bit that annoys me most. The timeline of reported events would suggest this is exactly what happened. It's not something you expect from your captain and is disrespectful to everyone who was helping him at the time.

But what I will say is that all of this has come on the back of what is nothing other than an orchestrated tapping up attempt. The rules against tapping up are there to protect the clubs from having unsettled players. The rules have failed us here. If i was at the club, I'd be hell bent on getting Liverpool shafted - because they've not done anything by the book here. You just get the feeling that we don't want to play too hard though.

My initial emotional reaction is to agree... but there are two flaws in this plan. First, the general consensus is every club does it. We (managers, mainly) have spoken about players publicly before deals have been agreed and we also know that players have signed for us and commented about another existing player they spoke to about signing for us. It seems clear that not only do we do it to some degree, but we'd have any formal complaint turned straight back on us at some stage. Secondly, our business model is to give players a platform to grow, develop and showcase their abilities, before selling them on... so making it too formal would upset our customers, the companies we do the most profitable business with. That's unwise in any industry.

Interesting looking back on VVDs stance when he was at Celtic and wanted to leave to come to us...

Virgil van Dijk drops bombshell on Celtic as Dutch defender says it is time for him to leave Scottish giants for new challenge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3119299/Virgil-van-Dijk-drops-bombshell-Celtic-Dutch-defender-says-wants-leave.html

Interesting looking back on VVDs stance when he was at Celtic and wanted to leave to come to us...

Virgil van Dijk drops bombshell on Celtic as Dutch defender says it is time for him to leave Scottish giants for new challenge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3119299/Virgil-van-Dijk-drops-bombshell-Celtic-Dutch-defender-says-wants-leave.html

And so it goes, first it's a top league, then a top club and then a club topper than top. It's called ambition I suppose.

Some people are just like that, always want to be moving forward, I know I was, applied for a new posting almost every year.

"The 25-year-old, however, is at the mercy of the club after agreeing a new five-year deal until the summer of 2022 earlier this year."

"The 25-year-old, however, is at the mercy of the club after agreeing a new five-year deal until the summer of 2022 earlier this year."
yes but is that not a similar stuation to our own.The article headline states that terms have been agreed. These things would upset the player and squad potentially like ourselves Edited by OldNick