Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

But would still be a massive downgrade.

Why did he have to turn out to be such a c*nt.

Big ****** players usually are... I see even Barcelona are not immune with Neymar storming out of camp today..

Let him go and re-focus on the team we have and those that will bound to come in now.

Wimmer is a downgrade now, but he has potential to become a really good player.

Very disappointed if true that we've rolled over like a whipped cur. Makes club look completely weak.

Very little time to both agree a deal and bed in a new first choice centre back before 12th August too.

Like we do every summer? Clubs (well 1 in particular) know they can take the **** out of us, because they get away with it... time and time again.

Why worry...

The team is bigger than any one individual (Leicester proved that)..

I would rather have a focussed strong team pulling in the same direction than one stroppy individual diverting attention away from that.

Wimmer would be a decent enough replacement.

Plus a player not played since January - no pre-season, not going to be ready for a while yet either for us...if at all.

Like others have said would have settled for less if anyone but Liverpool.

Not impressed if true and makes Pellegrino look bad after his statement he was promised not being sold.

Big ****** players usually are... I see even Barcelona are not immune with Neymar storming out of camp today..

Let him go and re-focus on the team we have and those that will bound to come in now.

Wimmer is a downgrade now, but he has potential to become a really good player.

Think any CB will be a downgrade on VVD personally, thats the reason we stand no chance of keeping him...

If we re-invest in 2-3 players of good quality it'll be good business

Why worry...

The team is bigger than any one individual (Leicester proved that)..

I would rather have a focussed strong team pulling in the same direction than one stroppy individual diverting attention away from that.

Wimmer would be a decent enough replacement.

I think Leicester proved by selling Kante that they very much weren't bigger than one individual..

It's not selling VVD that is the issue we've sold good players and survived (even prospered) it's selling him to a club that basically admitted tapping him up that's the issue. By selling him to Liverpool the club is basically giving into a players blackmail and admitting we are happy to have our players tapped up.

Like we do every summer? Clubs (well 1 in particular) know they can take the **** out of us, because they get away with it... time and time again.

At least recently Mane/Wanyama/Clyne there were real short contractual length reasons to sell. this time is far worse, we've got him on long contract and gone out of our way to complain about their tactics and still folded like a cheap suit.

I think Leicester proved by selling Kante that they very much weren't bigger than one individual..

It's not selling VVD that is the issue we've sold good players and survived (even prospered) it's selling him to a club that basically admitted tapping him up that's the issue. By selling him to Liverpool the club is basically giving into a players blackmail and admitting we are happy to have our players tapped up.

Spot on. Very very poor by Les and the board.

Think any CB will be a downgrade on VVD personally, thats the reason we stand no chance of keeping him...

If we re-invest in 2-3 players of good quality it'll be good business

Personally if we sell Van Dijk for £70million, I'd get Sigurdsson for £45million and Wimmer for £15million, with the extra £10million easily covering their wages. People will say we'd never spend that much but there's no excuse, if we're getting that sort of fee it needs to be reinvested and not in £12million potential players. It's a lot of quality to lose and we need instant quality coming in.

Edited by Saint_clark

I don't see it that way. Agree Liverpool do not seem capable of functioning without the help of the Saints over the past 2-3 seasons, but if they are mad enough to pay a very heavy price to secure the services of one of our talents, then business is business.

As Ron said above, he will not be ready for a good month into the season anyway given his lack of playing time this year and if we re-invest the bucks Liverpool will no doubt be paying us wisely, then we could stand to be stronger this season..

Really I thought Monk was one of the few reliable ITKs we had..

I believe he knew someone who used to work as part of the coaching staff (Fran Alonso was it)? Obviously Fran no longer works at the club, so he has lost his links some what, however Fran is now working with a certain ex manager at Everton, so I'd assume he still hears bits and bobs?

Monk - correct me if that is wrong.

Personally if we sell Van Dijk for £70million, I'd get Sigurdsson for £45million and Wimmer for £45million, with the extra £10million easily covering their wages. People will say we'd never spend that much but there's no excuse, if we're getting that sort of fee it needs to be reinvested and not in £12million potential players. It's a lot of quality to lose and we need instant quality coming in.

That won't happen though we will look abroad for cheap and hope they work out signings or ones for the future. They certainly need to be better than last years signings though which were in general pretty poor.

Apologies if this has been posted ....but this is currently doing the rounds on Twitter:

@vintageromelu appears to be with the Saints squad yesterday in France watching training and in their hotel (with a selfie of Gardos and MP). He's tweeted that MP said to him twice "VVD will stay". He has photos and videos from Saints training and went live on Periscope during it.

I'm on my phone so not sure if photos upload here, but I upload them for those who don't have Twitter.

In the video, they are practicing free kicks and possibly Redmond is taking them fwiw!!951e6b561c2fcecc95d345c6eb07447a.jpg81508f855c4a5ed4ff6cafa62a132e10.jpg3d8be82dcd6e38f4a7832f4a28bba080.jpg

Different source or change of circumstances?

(not trying to catch you out, just genuinely interested if from a different source. cheers)

Two completely different people. More than happy to be caught out, I'm not claiming to be ITK :lol:

In the last 3 years Southampton haven't sold an important 1st team player after 28th July in the summer window.

Today is 28th July, tick tock Liverpool...

2c2d357d34d280ef7d85e7ed50e2a1347eb7633e.gif

(I know we could of course sell a player in August, but it appears to be club policy that if a player is going to be sold it is done before August so that the club has a good amount of time to find replacements)

I want to be the first to blame MLG for this whole thing.

I believe he knew someone who used to work as part of the coaching staff (Fran Alonso was it)? Obviously Fran no longer works at the club, so he has lost his links some what, however Fran is now working with a certain ex manager at Everton, so I'd assume he still hears bits and bobs?

Monk - correct me if that is wrong.

Not far off - link changed before personal mentioned changed though.

Unsurprising really - it was always likely to be the outcome of this whole sorry affair. The surprising outcome would've been if VvD was still with us at the start of the season - so I was expecting this result.

Having said that, I don't understand the need for any player to have a contract of employment, they had just as well all be free agents and tout themselves whenever they want. The contract is no security for the club, so what's the point.

VvD has essentially gone and applied for another job, while under contract, got the job and then pretty much refused to do his job until he is allowed to leave. It appears that he has broken no rules, and if he has, nobody is particularly bothered, so why the contract.

Unlike others, I don't blame Les / the board - the player and others from another club have acted like complete cvnts and contrived the move. Les has just got to try to clean up the mess and get the best possible outcome for the club - it's a difficult position for him.

VvD and Liverpool though - really, horrible, smelly piece of business - the worst.

Two completely different people. More than happy to be caught out, I'm not claiming to be ITK :lol:

Fair enough. Would be quite funny if it turns out to be wrong after you've caused that big a twitter storm... :lol:

You've managed to make a pretty big impact on the odds in the last few minutes too...

Edited by Jimmy_D

Personally if we sell Van Dijk for £70million, I'd get Sigurdsson for £45million and Wimmer for £45million, with the extra £10million easily covering their wages. People will say we'd never spend that much but there's no excuse, if we're getting that sort of fee it needs to be reinvested and not in £12million potential players. It's a lot of quality to lose and we need instant quality coming in.

Isn't the maths a bit flawed in that argument ? 45+45+10 =100

Mind you I've seen an Ariane rocket not take off for a comma instead of a full stop....

Different source or change of circumstances?

(not trying to catch you out, just genuinely interested if from a different source. cheers)

FWIW I've been told by a very well connected source at united that they aren't / weren't ever interested in him and didn't rate him, especially at the value of what has been touted.

It could well be (one that I suspect given what I have been told) that Monks original source, wasn't great. I've no doubt it wasn't just made up by Monk, he's probably just passing on info which he has been told.

The reporting of tapping up was only ever about increasing the fee for him. Liverpool were trying to ensure that no other clubs bid for him (it's a done deal etc) so they could get him on the cheap (£45m-50m) as they were 'the only game in town'. This clearly p*ssed off the club, hence we reported them for tapping up. If we now sell him, you would hope that Liverpool will need to pay a decent price, as we have the tapping up as leverage over him. For reasons mentioned elsewhere, we will always struggle to keep players like VVD (wages, CL etc).

If we get £65m, that is a world record for a defender, who has had injury concerns and a couple of seasons at top level under his belt. That is a great deal for saints. If we get, say £45m, then by all means slate the club, as we have been done.

Yes it is annoying that he is going to Liverpool and not holding out for a bigger club. But that's not really the club's fault is it? That will be his management etc. I would want a whopping big sell-on clause in there as well.

Fair enough. Would be quite funny if it turns out to be wrong after you've caused that big a twitter storm... :lol:

You've managed to make a pretty big impact on the odds in the last few minutes too...

Monk, if youve totally trolled the bin dippers and made them wet their panties for no reason then i'd forgive you :-)

Presumably this would be a chain of Coutinho to Barca, Van Dijk to Liverpool.

If this is for silly money, fine. But why is it always those self righteous, nauseating w*nkers? Their conduct has been a disgrace, that they are now seeing to be getting away with it is utterly disgusting.

Van Dijk should be moving on to one of the best clubs in the World, not Liverpool. Especially not under these murky, gutterised circumstances.

Edited by Colinjb

Monk is only passing on info. He has been right in the past and he has been wrong. Thanks for sharing what you have been told.

However I think there is a lot of wishful thinking from the Liverpool side at the moment, particularly in the wake of the Coutinho rumours. As I said earlier, I am increasingly confident that VVD will stay - but IF he does leave, it won't be to Liverpool. The comments on this thread over the past hour or so show how untenable Les Reed's position would be if a sale to Liverpool took place. This forum doesn't necessarily represent the majority of Saints fans as a rule, but on this topic it is pretty close to the mark.

I am going to the Sevilla game next Saturday and it wouldn't surprise me to see VVD in the squad.

Even the ****ing bookies have nibbled.

Bookies don't nibble, punters nibble and bookies say thanks a lot.

Don't see what it would change anyway, he was 5/2 on to go there anyway even last week when Saints were saying it's not going to happen, which probably hasn't changed anyway.

Even the ****ing bookies have nibbled.

'With great power comes great responsibility'

Or alternatively you could take us back to the glory days of convincing Twitter that Richard Chaplow to Leeds was a done deal.

That said, it could all still happen, I'd be pretty gutted if VvD does go to Liverpool.

If we can't keep hold of a player we've given the captain's armband to when he has half a decade left on his contract... there really is no point in seeing ANY player as anything other than a mercenary, here to do a job for us, but not to be celebrated.

If we sell him to Liverpool as a club we are spineless...... We put in a complaint that the bin dippers tapped up Virgil and then we go ahead and sell him? Is Les Reed on the Liverpool Payroll or is Southampton F.C cleverly disguised as Liverpool's B team.... Ridiculous situation to be in it's about time as a club we grew a set of Swedes put our foot down and simply tell Liverpool we are no-longer dealing with them for the foreseeable future... If Virgil 100% wants out let other clubs battle it out for signature.

Liverpool can do one!

If we sell him to Liverpool as a club we are spineless...... We put in a complaint that the bin dippers tapped up Virgil and then we go ahead and sell him? Is Les Reed on the Liverpool Payroll or is Southampton F.C cleverly disguised as Liverpool's B team.... Ridiculous situation to be in it's about time as a club we grew a set of Swedes put our foot down and simply tell Liverpool we are no-longer dealing with them for the foreseeable future... If Virgil 100% wants out let other clubs battle it out for signature.

Liverpool can do one!

People always assume that there's no way that a player could get the drop on the club and force it to sell him to wherever it is he wants to go. Some agents are firkin smart cookies with enough law degrees to paper your living room, some club people aren't so smart, especially ones that get sacked or leave suddenly. We'll have to see what comes to pass but if we sell him to the Dippers you can assume he had something that made it possible.