Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

It's all a little silly. I do not think that many who use the "victim" tag are referring to Hillsborough. Anyone losing their life, including friends and relatives, should have a common courtesy afforded them and I think that they do. Having said that, there are a lot of people out there who are moronic and don't know how to treat others, so I guess they might associate Hillsborough with it. There is all this rememberance that goes on which I do not have a problem with, but then if you remember them, you should remember others in an equal manner. Bradford, Ibrox, Munich. Heysel.

And of course Liverpool, or rather a small minority, have never sung a song about Munich 1958.

For me, the victim tag is nothing to do with Hillsbrough. The best example I can think of is when the whole team wore shirts in support of Suarez, who had just been suspended for racially abusing a fellow professional. So they wore shirts in tribute to a racial abuser. Because somehow, some way, he was the victim in the saga. That's why that tag exists, events like that.

Respect begins with respect. Aldridge has to take some of the blame for his appalling comments about VVD going on strike. Some of the comments on here have been on the boundary but so has the lack of respect on Pool Forums and their ex-players/press antics so I'd call it a score draw.

By coincidence, I saw an old MOTD episode last night from 1984/5 with Oxford v Leeds. Aldridge scored a hat-trick but forearm smashed Peter Lorimer in the face - and Lorimer complete with fat lip was sent off.

BTW - what a toilet the Manor Ground was. There are better Conference South grounds these days.

Aldridge is a fckin tinker.

For me, the victim tag is nothing to do with Hillsbrough. The best example I can think of is when the whole team wore shirts in support of Suarez, who had just been suspended for racially abusing a fellow professional. So they wore shirts in tribute to a racial abuser. Because somehow, some way, he was the victim in the saga. That's why that tag exists, events like that.

Nutshell.

If you don't think the "victims" tag has nothing to do with Hillsborough, you're deluded or naive. Anyway, I'm sick of this shiete so fill your boots. Perhaps after we can start on tight jocks, or maybe thick Paddies, let's keep the cliches coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. And cliche should be avoided like the plague.

Well I'm sure they're glad for that

Yeah, I reckon they are. If there is one thing Liverpool do appreciate, it's that virtually all non-psycho football fans of all clubs are on their side on his one.

So, yeah, I'd say they are glad for that.

The Hillsbrough thing isn't just 96 dead. In cold, numerical terms, that's a very minor airline accident.

It's 30 years of dissembling and cover-up by the establishment.

I've got Liverpool's back on this one.

No one brought up Hillsborough except Liverpool fans. Again.

So back on topic ....

Interesting that VVD demands for staying include increasing the quality of players in the club . Possibly disillusioned by the declining quality of recent signings and coachs/manager ( Puel ) .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

So back on topic ....

Interesting that VVD demands for staying include increasing the quality of players in the club . Possibly disillusioned by the declining quality of recent signings and coachs/manager ( Puel ) .

Maybe his machavellian approach to get more quality brought into the squad and put the onus on Les to make it happen

I would like to think that no fan of any club would use the term victim in conjunction with Hillsborough. Certainly those of us around at the time certainly wouldn't.

However, all the other insults are more than worthy and if it tells those at RAWK one thing, it tells them how much their club and fans are despised but fans of every other club in the country.

But hey, that's not their fault is it.

So back on topic ....

or just a convenient excuse...

It's all a little silly. I do not think that many who use the "victim" tag are referring to Hillsborough. Anyone losing their life, including friends and relatives, should have a common courtesy afforded them and I think that they do. Having said that, there are a lot of people out there who are moronic and don't know how to treat others, so I guess they might associate Hillsborough with it. There is all this rememberance that goes on which I do not have a problem with, but then if you remember them, you should remember others in an equal manner. Bradford, Ibrox, Munich. Heysel.

And of course Liverpool, or rather a small minority, have never sung a song about Munich 1958.

This

Manager Pep Guardiola has said Manchester City "will try" to sign a central defender this summer. mmmmm...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40762246

I think one thing to come out of this saga is that having made the complaint against Liverpool to the PL and having received the public apology, other clubs IF interested in VVD are playing it very carefully at the moment.

I would like to think that no fan of any club would use the term victim in conjunction with Hillsborough. Certainly those of us around at the time certainly wouldn't.

However, all the other insults are more than worthy and if it tells those at RAWK one thing, it tells them how much their club and fans are despised but fans of every other club in the country.

But hey, that's not their fault is it.

There was a good and lengthy article in The Guardian or Observer about the cover up, and the whole affair was frankly disgusting, and the outrage of the fans, particularly with the so-called newspaper (the Sun), was quite justifiable.

But their reputation is universal with every club's fans, not just Southampton. In 1990 at the world cup there were loads of bags piled up at the station in Cagliari, and much thieving went on. Whether it was or wasn't the scousers is perhaps not the point, but that's the word that went round and found ready credence. Do some of them really still sing about Munich, as mentioned on here? I don't watch games not involving Saints so wouldn't have a clue.

Edited by suewhistle
clarification

Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Actually thats very true, certainly the offended by everything bit. A non football related example - a few years back Ringo Starr was asked if he would ever consider living in Liverpool again which he answered with a firm NO !

Bloody hell did they get upset with that, took them about 3 years to get over it, and thats with one of their own :?

So back on topic ....

Where have you seen this quoted please? Not disputing it but would like to see what was said in print if its available via a link, thanks.

Bloody hell did they get upset with that, took them about 3 years to get over it, and thats with one of their own :?

Maybe I shouldn't mention that Jan Molby is a closet Arsenal fan then, and always has been.

To my knowledge no one has mentioned or referred to Hillsbrough, which very clearly would be crossing the line.

For me, the victims title is perfectly justified as they generally are offended by everything and ashamed by nothing.

Nutshell.

If 96 of our supporters, friends & family went to a football match & never came home, I'm pretty sure we'd still be going on about it 30 years later. And don't give me any pony about Heysel, as horrific as that was ( and their supporters should shoulder a massive amount of the blame), justice was served & people went to jail. There wasn't a 30 year cover up and lies from the establishment. Call them ****s , way anchors , what ever you want . But lay off the "victims" stuff, it's classless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't agree with Boris Johnson on this one then?

"people in Liverpool cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance about the rest of society".

It says Liverpudlians "wallow" in their "victim status", adding it is part of the "deeply unattractive psyche" of many in the city.

So back on topic ....

I have it on good authority that Virgil is unhappy with the quality of posters on Saints internet forums and wants more positive posters brought in if he is going to stay.

Strange paradox of VvD wanting to leave but if we keep our best players he'll stay, like VvD.

Aye. Some months ago the Mail had an article with VVD urging the club to keep players. I wondered then whether his thoughts extended to his own position.

I am amused by the number of tweets from Scousers suggesting that as we are apparently after Wimmer as a partner for V-VD (in the case of the realistic ones who now accept that we will probably not sell him) then perhaps they ought to make a move for Wimmer themselves now, instead of in a years time. They could cut out the middle man, as it were.

http://www.squawka.com/news/southampton-to-approach-kevin-wimmer-if-van-dijk-joins-liverpool/974792#PkhMPhr72dDVfbRw.97

Despite the accusations of Scousers seeing themselves as constant victims, at least that is countered by their reputation for having a decent sense of humour.

I am amused by the number of tweets from Scousers suggesting that as we are apparently after Wimmer as a partner for V-VD (in the case of the realistic ones who now accept that we will probably not sell him) then perhaps they ought to make a move for Wimmer themselves now, instead of in a years time. They could cut out the middle man, as it were.

http://www.squawka.com/news/southampton-to-approach-kevin-wimmer-if-van-dijk-joins-liverpool/974792#PkhMPhr72dDVfbRw.97

Despite the accusations of Scousers seeing themselves as constant victims, at least that is countered by their reputation for having a decent sense of humour.

People should stop defending Liverpool fans..you would think with them being so sensitive about their own disaster(s)they would be more sensitive of other teams..however through history they have believed they have the right to mock what they like no matter in how poor taste..Google Liverpool fans signing Munich songs both before and after Hillsboro.

Bunch of self entitled tossers......to a man.

Just one example.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/30/liverpool-twitter-munich-air-disaster

People should stop defending Liverpool fans..you would think with them being so sensitive about their own disaster(s)they would be more sensitive of other teams..however through history they have believed they have the right to mock what they like no matter in how poor taste..Google Liverpool fans signing Munich songs both before and after Hillsboro.

Just one example.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/30/liverpool-twitter-munich-air-disaster

Yep agree, the 'victim' reputation is much more than Hillsbrough, and things like that hardly help them.

I mean you only have to look at their reactions about Coutinho potentially going, how unfair it is etc. yet they'll quite happily think we should just bend over and sell them VVD. That is Liverpool fans, will quite happily excuse their club for tapping up, sing songs about other clubs disasters, support racist behaviour, but as soon as the shoe is on the other foot they are the first ones to come out and play the victim. To be fair some of their fans I've met in person seem quite self-mocking, but a big proportion of them are massively deluded and arrogant, worse fans in the country IMO, especially as they have so little to back it up these days.

----------------------------------------

Anyway, interesting information that VVD might be tempted to say if we get some quality signings in, let's hope that happens.

Just one example.

Where was I defending Liverpool fans? I was suggesting that some of them had a decent sense of humour, something that you apparently lack if you didn't find those tweets even mildly amusing.

Where was I defending Liverpool fans? I was suggesting that some of them had a decent sense of humour, something that you apparently lack if you didn't find those tweets even mildly amusing.

OK..that's where you and I differ then...if that's what you find amusing no wonder you like their fans.

Liverpool ramp up Virgil van Dijk chase as Southampton prepare for his exit with £12m bid for Lazio's Wesley Hoedt:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4747206/Liverpool-ramp-Virgil-van-Dijk-chase.html

Whether or not we're interested in Hoedt, the rest is the usual Mail b0ll0cks, based on nothing at all. There is absolutely no new information.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk