Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I thought that as well, it would be good if Steve waved his sub as he really seems to have insight into the club. There again he may just like teasing us and might not post anymore

I can see the argument but I think the mods have to hold their nerve on this one, else what sort of message does it send out? Other potential ITKs may start pushing for the same treatment. If Tom28 isn't prepared to show the same level of dedication as others on here, perhaps he should be made to post in isolation until he realises that the mods aren't going to give in.

I agree, club have to hold their nerve on this one.

Only sad that VVD put himself in this situation. He has clearly not accepted the fact that we're not gonna sell him. I just hope this doesn't end up like the Berahino case

It is nothing to do with holding their nerve it is whether it is to the advantage of SFC to keep VVD against his will or bring in somebody who is pretty decent and wants to play for the club.

I don't see the point of keeping a player who wants to leave and we get loads of dosh and a top class replacement

It is nothing to do with holding their nerve it is whether it is to the advantage of SFC to keep VVD against his will or bring in somebody who is pretty decent and wants to play for the club.

I don't see the point of keeping a player who wants to leave and we get loads of dosh and a top class replacement

You take it for granted that we get the money that match our valuation for him and also we get a top class replacement. If that was the case we would surely have sold him at the start of the window. If VVD goes we take a huge risk and no gains since we can get same money if not more next year. It's nothing but stupid to sell now imo.

Selling now after this long drama would send all the wrong messages--to the rest of the players, to every other club that we are a push over and to the fans that we out cash before success, Les is trying to stem the flow, deserves our support

I'm going out on a limb here, but I really cannot understand why we just don't say sod it, sod him and sell him !

To put it mildly, he is a disruptive influence around the club now and his stroppy teenager attitude is not going to change anytime soon. How can we entrust a place in the team (never mind as captain) to somebody throwing toys out of his pram.

We need a stable, well drilled team all playing for the new manager right now, and that is something that will send us into having a far more successful season than a disjointed squad dancing to the tune of one individual and probably causing resentment among his team mates.

I don't case how good he is as a player - Either Fit In or Feck Off.... !!

We will get a hefty price for him and be able to replace him with 2 or 3 bloody good players that will strengthen our squad, and keep the highly important team spirit at the right (high) level...

Because if we give in to this it sends a signal that no contract is worth the paper its written on. Any and every other player whose head is turned by an offer via a greedy agent or tapped up in some other way, will know that they only have to throw a short strop and they will get what they want, regardless of how much time or money the club has put into them. This isn't just about Van Dijk; it's about many future players for years to come.

It's possible there is the possibility that with a good season he might be a target for the "next level" clubs (barca, Madrid etc) and we could increase his value significantly. A risk yes but also a possible consideration?

I would consider this to be the main point of discussion with Virgil.

However, would Madrid/Barca see taking a player from a club of our stature in comparison to clubs like Liverpool as a gamble?

How about this? VVD not for sale. End of. He's still in a strop. So until he sorts his head out we are down a CB good enough to start. What better replacement Hoedt, than a young DUTCH international to bring in. £12m is relatively small fry anyway, but maybe he's on our list as a long term replacement for VVD. So Virgil can either get back training and play in a good EPL defence next to his international team mate, forge a good relationship with him in a WC year, or continue to sulk. And watch his compatriot take his place at Saints and Holland.

However, would Madrid/Barca see taking a player from a club of our stature in comparison to clubs like Liverpool as a gamble?

I don't - no need for any discussion - VvD knows the clubs stance end of. All that needs to be said by SFC is come and see us when you're head is right.

I can see the argument but I think the mods have to hold their nerve on this one, else what sort of message does it send out? Other potential ITKs may start pushing for the same treatment. If Tom28 isn't prepared to show the same level of dedication as others on here, perhaps he should be made to post in isolation until he realises that the mods aren't going to give in.

:lol:

Why should they? We are a top half PL Club, playing all the glory clubs twice a season at least. Their scouts can assess his prowess against top opposition.

The only gamble with him would be his bad attitude and the unprofessional way that he has conducted himself these past few weeks.

This is so making me laugh. Grown people believing every little rumour, that other grown people are posting on here as fact!

Let's look at real facts, as we know them.

Saints don't want to sell VVD

If they do, it will be for the value the club has put on him

He has not, to our knowledge, submitted a transfer request

To date, there has been no bids for him

He is contracted for another five years

We hold his registration

Everything else is pure speculation, and should be treated as such.

:toppa:

Because if we give in to this it sends a signal that no contract is worth the paper its written on. Any and every other player whose head is turned by an offer via a greedy agent or tapped up in some other way, will know that they only have to throw a short strop and they will get what they want, regardless of how much time or money the club has put into them. This isn't just about Van Dijk; it's about many future players for years to come.

I don't see it that way.

By us making a stand along the lines you describe we are hurting nobody but ourselves here.

I have long come to the conclusion that footballers contracts are worthless pieces of paper anyway, and I put the blame firmly at the door of greedy agents more than anything, but nonetheless it seems no club is immune to such behaviour. The Scouser's themselves will probably find that out if Coutinho gets his heart set on a move to Barcelona anyway. Barcelona themselves are not immune given Neymar's antics over the past couple of weeks.

I would rather concentrate on what is best for us this season, and that means in my opinion, a happy tight knit squad pulling in the same direction under the new manager, and not distracted by a stroppy wet kid stamping his feet.

This is so making me laugh. Grown people believing every little rumour, that other grown people are posting on here as fact!

Let's look at real facts, as we know them.

Saints don't want to sell VVD

If they do, it will be for the value the club has put on him

He has not, to our knowledge, submitted a transfer request

To date, there has been no bids for him

He is contracted for another five years

We hold his registration

Everything else is pure speculation, and should be treated as such.

If you want to be even handed about dealing in facts rather than speculation/opinions we don't know your first two points to be facts at all. It is what we have been told, but....

I don't see it that way.

By us making a stand along the lines you describe we are hurting nobody but ourselves here.

I have long come to the conclusion that footballers contracts are worthless pieces of paper anyway, and I put the blame firmly at the door of greedy agents more than anything, but nonetheless it seems no club is immune to such behaviour. The Scouser's themselves will probably find that out if Coutinho gets his heart set on a move to Barcelona anyway. Barcelona themselves are not immune given Neymar's antics over the past couple of weeks.

I would rather concentrate on what is best for us this season, and that means in my opinion, a happy tight knit squad pulling in the same direction under the new manager, and not distracted by a stroppy wet kid stamping his feet.

Yep, agree with all of this. Making a stand = p 1ssing against the wind

I don't see it that way.

Personally I'd be keeping VvD to hurt Liverpool.

I don't see them getting back into the Champion's League without him, and Liverpool without CL are slightly less likely to take some of our other players that we might want to keep hold of.

I don't see it that way.

Why are we hurting ourselves? Because Virgil might be a disruptive influence on the other players? Allowing him to leave by throwing his toys out of the pram would be far more disruptive to the other players because it would send them a signal that they could follow suit. As others have pointed out, what would hurt us far more is allowing a greedy agent and an unscrupulous glory club to orchestrate a media frenzy to get us to sell a player against our will and at a time of their choosing. The additional damage will be to the integrity of the board, the options available to the new manager who was promised that we would not sell players from under his nose and to the fan base who would feel betrayed by us caving in, especially if it was to Scousehampton once again.

Personally I'd be keeping VvD to hurt Liverpool.

I don't see them getting back into the Champion's League without him, and Liverpool without CL are slightly less likely to take some of our other players that we might want to keep hold of.

I really could not care less about Liverpool. They have history in hurting themselves and it does not need any additional help from us for that to continue.

I do care about us though, and I think it is imperative we enter this new season in good shape with an esprit de corp and not disjointed and affected by outside interests. If that means shipping out the bad apple (s) then ship them out!

I really could not care less about Liverpool. They have history in hurting themselves and it does not need any additional help from us for that to continue.

I do care about us though, and I think it is imperative we enter this new season in good shape with an esprit de corp and not disjointed and affected by outside interests. If that means shipping out the bad apple (s) then ship them out!

I only care about hurting Liverpool so far as it could actually help us keep hold of players against them.

Unless I'm going completely mad, that random '1st post' tweet and any responses to it have been deleted from the forum, correct? I was just about to reply saying it looked a bit suspect and the whole page crashed, and when I refresh the board.... all vanished!

Unless I'm going completely mad, that random '1st post' tweet and any responses to it have been deleted from the forum, correct? I was just about to reply saying it looked a bit suspect and the whole page crashed, and when I refresh the board.... all vanished!

No idea what you're talking about :ninja:

Why are we hurting ourselves? Because Virgil might be a disruptive influence on the other players? Allowing him to leave by throwing his toys out of the pram would be far more disruptive to the other players because it would send them a signal that they could follow suit. As others have pointed out, what would hurt us far more is allowing a greedy agent and an unscrupulous glory club to orchestrate a media frenzy to get us to sell a player against our will and at a time of their choosing. The additional damage will be to the integrity of the board, the options available to the new manager who was promised that we would not sell players from under his nose and to the fan base who would feel betrayed by us caving in, especially if it was to Scousehampton once again.
Because we may start the season with two substandard CB's ?

That certainly hurts us more than it hurts Virgil

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

All signs point to 'yes'.

Some people go to an awful lot of effort in a bid to get attention don't they? I mean, posting an 'ITK' rumour is one thing, but mocking up a fake tweet and registering on a forum is a bit extreme. And a bit pathetic.

Some people go to an awful lot of effort in a bid to get attention don't they? I mean, posting an 'ITK' rumour is one thing, but mocking up a fake tweet and registering on a forum is a bit extreme. And a bit pathetic.

The IP address suggested they were located in Liverpool or Manchester too :lol:

How about this? VVD not for sale. End of. He's still in a strop. So until he sorts his head out we are down a CB good enough to start. What better replacement Hoedt, than a young DUTCH international to bring in. £12m is relatively small fry anyway, but maybe he's on our list as a long term replacement for VVD. So Virgil can either get back training and play in a good EPL defence next to his international team mate, forge a good relationship with him in a WC year, or continue to sulk. And watch his compatriot take his place at Saints and Holland.

Sounds good to me.

The IP address suggested they were located in Liverpool or Manchester too :lol:

They should use Opera with it's inbuilt VPN. Works pretty well. Unless I am mistaken, I am according to my IP address, apparently in Singapore at the moment.

To be fair, it's not hard to do a mock up tweet these days - something like this would do it - http://simitator.com/generator/twitter/tweet

then just grab a pic and upload it to an image site. job done.

still sad as hell though.