Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Thanks for the update, Tom. Seems he's dug a hole and doesn't know how to stop digging.

Or is stubborn and bloody-minded. In which case we should match him all the way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Why would he stop digging when he knows our board is as weak as it is and he knows if he carries on, he'll eventually get what he wants.

Dangerous precedent set by the club here and they now cannot complain if and when this happens again next season.

If he goes to Liverpool that'll be the end for Les.

As with Lallana, Lovren and Fonte: if you kick up enough of a stink, the club will cave in ultimately. Schneiderlin and Wanyama evidently blinked too soon or they could've escaped a season earlier. Chickens.

But no doubt the club will still keep hyping up the latest contract extensions as though they're ambitious statements of intent, when in reality we all know they're basically meaningless.

Sad. I expected Van Dijk to leave this summer - he's a far better player than the level we seem complacently content to amble around at. But not to join Liverpool. And certainly not after they made an illegal approach and subsequent humiliating public apology - which was as disingenuous as our "resolve" to not sell.

For this story to end up with the player, agent and club who have treated us with such distain getting prescisly what they want, is utterly, dishearteningly predictable.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Barca given Neymar permission to sign for Psg so fingers crossed that means Coutinho will be heading to Barca !

It is also worth pointing out that if Barcelona can't keep a player, it isn't really our board's fault if they end up selling VVD.

Well if we get in a decent midfield in front of them that isn't terminal.

This is the issue which is flying under the radar with the focus on a possible no VVD and a Stephens/Yoshida CB partnership - the midfield (apart from Romeu) is very average - ie Davis, Clasie, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse. I can't see Van Diik being here when the season starts; can anyone else?

Liverpool are not the only club interested in VVD by any stretch, the issue is that NO ONE matches our valuation.
If that is the case, I think we should hold firm and not sell. There is no way we should give in and accept lower than what we think he's worth just because of Van Dijk and Liverpool's bad behaviour. That would just be the ultimate green light for more of the same from players and agents in future windows.

Best scenario for us now would be to go ahead and sign a decent replacement now so that we have insurance if we do get the right offer late in August, and also gives us better options if we don't sell and Van Dijk continues his hissy fit. This obviously depends on us having enough cash to fund the replacement without selling Van Dijk, so we may need to try to move on a couple of other non essential players to help finance?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Barca given Neymar permission to sign for Psg so fingers crossed that means Coutinho will be heading to Barca !
I was listening to the Monday football cluband they mentioned Coutinho to Barca, and said how Klopp said no is no. Theythen said that VVD to Liverpool but didn't see the hypocrisy of their stand that Liverpool were right to stop him as it derailed their season, but never gave it a thought re us

I was listening to the Monday football cluband they mentioned Coutinho to Barca, and said how Klopp said no is no. Theythen said that VVD to Liverpool but didn't see the hypocrisy of their stand that Liverpool were right to stop him as it derailed their season, but never gave it a thought re us

We're irrelevant in the grand scheme, I've accepted that.

And reduce his value as no club will pay our asking price when we are appearing so desperate to get rid.

It's a V good point, we have to decide what is most important.

If it's his value then we should sell, if it's the principle of player power then we should keep him but accept it will affect his value...

It is also worth pointing out that if Barcelona can't keep a player, it isn't really our board's fault if they end up selling VVD.
It's a bit different. Neymar's actually respecting the contract he signed - it just happens to have a release clause in it, which he's perfectly entitled to expect the club to honour.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

And reduce his value as no club will pay our asking price when we are appearing so desperate to get rid.

In what way are we "appearing so desperate to get rid?" That is vastly different to selling him if our valuation is met, which is what Tom28 is saying. Why do people constantly twist every situation at SFC to try and show the Board in a bad light? As far as I can see so far, no one has said that we will not be selling anyone in this window. They have said that they don't have to sell and don't plan to sell. Things change. VVD strop may well have changed minds. We really don't know but the bedwetters have already made up their minds. It is the Board's job to do the best for SFC. Often that doesn't meet with the pleasure of some people on an internet forum. Good. If he goes, he goes on our terms and it is laughable to think that we will just give him away. FFS some of you need to grow a pair and wait and see what happens until you get the plastic sheets out. Life will go on if he stays or he goes. And as for being desperate to get rid, he is a quality player and there will be plenty of clubs after him if he is officially put up for sale.

Liverpool are not the only club interested in VVD by any stretch, the issue is that NO ONE matches our valuation.

If our valuation net of the mount paid away to VVD is roughly the same as the other valuations then perhaps this is the deal breaker at the moment? Especially if we really are so adamant about not selling to Liverpool?

This puts it firmly in Virgil's court and potentially opens up a bidding opportunity. The issue then is who pays his agent?

In what way are we "appearing so desperate to get rid?" That is vastly different to selling him if our valuation is met, which is what Tom28 is saying. Why do people constantly twist every situation at SFC to try and show the Board in a bad light? As far as I can see so far, no one has said that we will not be selling anyone in this window. They have said that they don't have to sell and don't plan to sell. Things change. VVD strop may well have changed minds. We really don't know but the bedwetters have already made up their minds. It is the Board's job to do the best for SFC. Often that doesn't meet with the pleasure of some people on an internet forum. Good. If he goes, he goes on our terms and it is laughable to think that we will just give him away. FFS some of you need to grow a pair and wait and see what happens until you get the plastic sheets out. Life will go on if he stays or he goes. And as for being desperate to get rid, he is a quality player and there will be plenty of clubs after him if he is officially put up for sale.

Ha calm down flower. I was replying to a poster that suggested the club make a public statement about the VVD situation that we are looking to sell because the situation has become unrecoverable. I was merely pointing out that would weaken the clubs bargaining position ....but you carry on having a hissy .

The trouble the board have now is:

1) If they lower valuation they will look even weaker than giving into his transfer demands and basically every player will know they can strike to get their own way (regardless of valuation).

2) If they sell to Liverpool, the fans will be furious.

3) No one matches valuation, they have a player that doesn't want to be here and is a major disruption (a bit like Fonte last season).

If the club really does have any evidence of tapping up, now is the time to show that hand. If it's true that the player has refused to do the BT/Sky bits and we can prove he's had his head turned by tapping up by Liverpool, surely they have nowhere to hide? I suspect we have little to no evidence if i'm honest.

Gut feel is that Coutinho will go to Barca and then with that money, VvD will end up at Liverpool. Oh, and we (the fans) end up with egg on our faces.... once again.

Really worse than 1st season in the PL Fonte and Jos the Boss I don't think so...

It's a pretty close call tbh. Stephens is nowhere near as good as some on here make out. A promising young player but not a starter for a team with our supposed aspirations.

Want VVD out now, he's shown himself to be a Grade A pr*ck. The only shame of it is that we will now potentially have to scrabble to spend the money. If this had been sorted earlier or we'd been a bit more proactive in the market it would have been so much the better. Nothing Reed could have done as I like his hold firm approach but annoying timing nonetheless.

Not to be a doomsayer but this does have parallels with when we sold Fitz Hall, Killer never recovered and we went down having hastily signed a cr*p Jackobssen. If we rely on Yoshi and Stephens and one of them gets injured or loses form then we truly are screwed without a first team quality replacement (don't see Bednarek as good enough yet from what I saw v Brentford).

Time for Les to get the cheque book out and sign (at least) a quality replacement CB, a CDM and maybe an attacking mid. A lot to do in the time that remains and a big shame that we won't be able to play our "best" team during a kind run of fixtures at the start of the season.

SFC TID!'s last post is accurate regarding events yesterday.

Only additional information I have is that there are no bids yet. However, club looking to sell now. He's become a problem in what is otherwise a very happy squad. Other players that were unhappy and looking for an exit last season - Tadic, Cedric and Bertrand - are all now seemingly bought into MP 100%. VVD is casting a lonely figure after thinking that there were lots that wanted to leave this summer. Difficult to see a way back from here although club will hold out for asking price. MP and VVD relationship is pretty good so there potentially could be a way back if asking price not met before the end of the window. Club will likely buy a replacement now anyway though.

Cheers Tom

Good news too that we are looking to recruit now rather than wait until Virgil wet pants is sold... That perhaps re-enforces the assumption that we are talking to the likes of Hoedt now, who it appears would be a good signing (not to mention being fit and match ready too).

It's an interesting point. Lets say Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal, were interested why would they make a move now? With the situation festering and Liverpool unable to make a FORMAL move, if I was working for any of those clubs, I would sit back and let it carry on. Vvd's behavior is close to making his position untenable and a 45 / 50 million bid in the last week of the window, could well force our hand to remove a disruptive player who doesn't want to be here.

Ultimately we hold the key ace, but Vvd's actions are driving his value down and that directly impacts the club.

What have Liverpool done wrong since we told them no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best bet at this point is a player exchange, with either Chelsea or Man City, for say Christensen or Mangala ( is he still there ? ) . Even if this didn't meet Saint's valuation, the value of the incoming player could be knocked down too, meanung both clubs save on VAT, and any other percentage add-ons would also be lower.

Also, at the back of my mind there has always been a worry that he will come back with JAck Whilsires ankles.

This is the issue which is flying under the radar with the focus on a possible no VVD and a Stephens/Yoshida CB partnership - the midfield (apart from Romeu) is very average - ie Davis, Clasie, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse. I can't see Van Diik being here when the season starts; can anyone else?

Are you saying you know better than Old Les?

"Southampton executive director of football Les Reed has claimed that the club boasts the best array of midfield options in the Premier League."

"We now have the perfect blend of positional strength, experience and dynamic youth in our midfield slots. There will be healthy competition, but also the required depth and robustness for our challenge in the Europa League. I believe as a group we probably have a choice from the best pool of midfield options in the Premier League." Les Reed

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/southampton/news/reed-southampton-have-best-midfield-in-pl_276561.html

Next, you'll be saying it would be unwise to start next season with Stepehens and Yoshida as our first choice central defenders.

Overtly or covertly?

Overtly, nothing.

Covertly, who knows...?

Did anyone else watch Bayern Munich v Liverpool on ITV4 last night. The commentators discussed at length the fact that Liverpool should sign van Dijk. Southampton Football Club wasn't mentioned once in the whole discussion. Mind you, having watched Mane rip Bayern Muinch apart, you can see what a good move it would be for van Dijk. That is the problem: van Dijk is greedy but it would be a very good career move for him, even if he weren't.

....but you carry on having a hissy .

It's not him having the hissy, I thought it a reasonable analysis, particularly this:

Why do people constantly twist every situation at SFC to try and show the Board in a bad light?

Whatever they do they'll be criticised, but it's the straw man arguments that irritate me - "they're doing (or going to do) this, and they're wrong".

We shall see, and I'm not going to guess what's happening. We know that he's not training with the team, but that's about it.

I'm going to mooch into Southampton later to get wet inside and out and then off to the match. I'm sure the subject will come up in pre-match conversation!

I will add that if there is no interest from any club and no offers are in why he is he causing this fuss. He must have some kind of contact with a 3rd party or he would not be downing tools.

For me its now clear. Liverpool will meet our valuation and he goes, or he will stay. I guess he will be told he has to make a formal request as well to make it happen.

Anything else and the club are a laughing stock.

I don't think the club are a laughing stock in any situation.

The whole situation is down to VVD for being a greedy knob.

If he wont play for SFC and wants to leave it is hardly likely he will perform well if he actually played and would disrupt the whole team.

So I say as you do he should make a formal request and we should sell him for at least £50m hopefully more but I am not sure he is worth £60m plus as defenders never seem to be sold for huge amounts

The fullback who joined Man City went for £52m I think

Ha calm down flower. I was replying to a poster that suggested the club make a public statement about the VVD situation that we are looking to sell because the situation has become unrecoverable. I was merely pointing out that would weaken the clubs bargaining position ....but you carry on having a hissy .

You said that we were appearing desperate to get rid of him. Are we really, flower?

The damage was done way before that.... If Liverpool hadn't tapped him up previously, do you think he would be on 'strike' now?

I really don't want to want to watch a season where on a regular basis, literally half of the outfield players lining up for Liverpool are players they've bought directly from us.

Haven't bothered to work out exactly how much it'd be, but if he goes there, it wouldn't surprise me if the team that lines up against us has more minutes on the pitch for Southampton than the team we put out.

If he leaves, and the club don't force him in to hand in a transfer request prior to, it'll be the biggest p*ss takes in the history of p*ss takes. And I'd probably lose most, if not all, of the respect/admiration I hold for Les Reed (yes, yes, I'm sure he's trembling at the thought :D)

Edit: although I'm assuming he can't submit a transfer request unless there's a bid? and Liverpool won't bid for reasons mentioned previously :lol:

I really don't want to want to watch a season where on a regular basis, literally half of the outfield players lining up for Liverpool are players they've bought directly from us.

Haven't bothered to work out exactly how much it'd be, but if he goes there, it wouldn't surprise me if the team that lines up against us has more minutes on the pitch for Southampton than the team we put out.

I think you'd be right... :/ Lallana certainly is more capped than any of ours, possible saving grace is JWP as he has 140 odd games I think?

I think you'd be right... :/ Lallana certainly is more capped than any of ours, possible saving grace is JWP as he has 140 odd games I think?

Yeah, would depend on the team we put out obviously, we might well see some academy players given a chance this season etc.

I don't think the club are a laughing stock in any situation.

The whole situation is down to VVD for being a greedy knob.

If he wont play for SFC and wants to leave it is hardly likely he will perform well if he actually played and would disrupt the whole team.

So I say as you do he should make a formal request and we should sell him for at least £50m hopefully more but I am not sure he is worth £60m plus as defenders never seem to be sold for huge amounts

The fullback who joined Man City went for £52m I think

But if he doesn't perform well then less big clubs will be interested in him so it's his own career he would mess up

Players are quite happy to ignore their contracts and be conniving to get their move. Doesn't it make you laugh when they then don't celebrate a goal if they score against a former team. Reason I bring it up, is that we're getting to the stage where literally half the dippers would be walking round with their hands behind the back if they ever manage to score against us!

I'm not sure the club does need to sell Van Dijk in order to move on. He can just be left out in the cold until a suitable solution arises. The team played without him for half of last season, and since then, one more CB has been added to the squad anyway. As long as the club holds his registration, his value remains on the balance sheet, which in the absence of any bid is based on the 13m we paid for him, not the speculative figures in the media. If the club stands firm until the window closes, it's going to be a very long Autumn for Van Dijk because it's his career that is at risk. If this goes on beyond the transfer window, or the club think he might be a disruptive influence, the club hierarchy might decide they don't want him to play for us again even if he says he will. It's possible he may have to find any club except Liverpool in order to play again.

By standing firm, Southampton can deter similar situations in the future by showing the wealthy clubs that our best players can no longer be picked off while under contract.

I'm not sure the club does need to sell Van Dijk in order to move on. He can just be left out in the cold until a suitable solution arises. The team played without him for half of last season, and since then, one more CB has been added to the squad anyway. As long as the club holds his registration, his value remains on the balance sheet, which in the absence of any bid is based on the 13m we paid for him, not the speculative figures in the media. If the club stands firm until the window closes, it's going to be a very long Autumn for Van Dijk because it's his career that is at risk. If this goes on beyond the transfer window, or the club think he might be a disruptive influence, the club hierarchy might decide they don't want him to play for us again even if he says he will. It's possible he may have to find any club except Liverpool in order to play again.

By standing firm, Southampton can deter similar situations in the future by showing the wealthy clubs that our best players can no longer be picked off while under contract.

Exactly.

We need to be saying (and possibly already are) that both Liverpool and van Dijk gave up any chance of van Dijk moving to Liverpool when they tried to go behind Saints back to make it happen.

No. Fonte Hooiveld first season back was.

It will be a close run thing. I realise some posters are pinning their hopes on Stephens being the next Mark Wright but the reality of the situation is Yoshida and Stephens are not a partnership that will get a club into the top 8 of the Premier League over a whole season. If people honestly believe they are its a case of being deluded in my opinion.

The trouble the board have now is:

1) If they lower valuation they will look even weaker than giving into his transfer demands and basically every player will know they can strike to get their own way (regardless of valuation).

2) If they sell to Liverpool, the fans will be furious.

3) No one matches valuation, they have a player that doesn't want to be here and is a major disruption (a bit like Fonte last season).

If the club really does have any evidence of tapping up, now is the time to show that hand. If it's true that the player has refused to do the BT/Sky bits and we can prove he's had his head turned by tapping up by Liverpool, surely they have nowhere to hide? I suspect we have little to no evidence if i'm honest.

Gut feel is that Coutinho will go to Barca and then with that money, VvD will end up at Liverpool. Oh, and we (the fans) end up with egg on our faces.... once again.

my feeling is that we'll end up in the world of option 3, since unless Liverpool are happy to stump up a significant chunk of £75m upfront then we're not going to want to do business with them (and i don't think they'll do that), and on top of that no other club so far has put in a bid that's matched what we want.

It will be a close run thing. I realise some posters are pinning their hopes on Stephens being the next Mark Wright but the reality of the situation is Yoshida and Stephens are not a partnership that will get a club into the top 8 of the Premier League over a whole season. If people honestly believe they are its a case of being deluded in my opinion.

7 clean sheets in 18.5 games says they'll do a job !