Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

It will be a close run thing. I realise some posters are pinning their hopes on Stephens being the next Mark Wright but the reality of the situation is Yoshida and Stephens are not a partnership that will get a club into the top 8 of the Premier League over a whole season. If people honestly believe they are its a case of being deluded in my opinion.

Golden quote which will be dragged back out in May :lol: :p ;)

I couldn't give a flying sh1te if a club wants him but won't match our valuation - it should be non negotiable. The fact they won't pay it is their problem, not ours.

Personally I'd let the c*** rot in the u23s, depreciate in value then go on a free to Bolton when he's 31. F*** him

The clubs mantra is to get players to sign for us using the stepping stone scenario. If we then are seen to stop these players to do so some players may not join us because of this.

Should we have really believed that no player was going to be sold, as this breaks with our business model?

The 6year extension of contract thing is to the advantage of both parties, as it gives a player more wages but gives the club a stronger hand in getting a better price.

The big thing about selling VVD is that the fans are tired of us bending over to Liverpool again and perhas are misjudging the strength of the fans resentment to Liverpool and then in turn could turn on the board

The clubs mantra is to get players to sign for us using the stepping stone scenario. If we then are seen to stop these players to do so some players may not join us because of this.

Should we have really believed that no player was going to be sold, as this breaks with our business model?

The 6year extension of contract thing is to the advantage of both parties, as it gives a player more wages but gives the club a stronger hand in getting a better price.

The big thing about selling VVD is that the fans are tired of us bending over to Liverpool again and perhas are misjudging the strength of the fans resentment to Liverpool and then in turn could turn on the board

How often have you heard of a player not joining a club because they kept hold of their best players?

Keeping hold of Schneiderlin didn't stop us getting VvD, for example.

Not to mention that in VvD's case, we have every right to turn around and say they didn't go about it the right way.

That is a little flawed Nick... van Dijk didn't seem to care about us holding onto a player before he signed...

Schneiderlin asked to leave in 2014... he didn't leave in 2014

Wanyama asked to leave in 2015.... he didn't leave in 2015

van Dijk joins Saints in 2015 after both Schneiderlin and Wanyama had been forced to stay one more season.

No that is your (and many other's) interpretation of the business model, unless you can point out where anyone in the hierarchy has said that we are a stepping stone club.

It is incorrect as well. People come to us because of the wages we offer compared to other clubs. They might then see that we can advance players to a certain level that makes them attractive to other clubs and they may take a step up. For example, why did Gaston come here? He quite openly admitted it was the money. Nothing about thinking he could take a step up and move on. Tadic the same. VVD came to us because we were the club paying the most who were prepared to take the chance on him.

That is a little flawed Nick... van Dijk didn't seem to care about us holding onto a player before he signed...

Schneiderlin asked to leave in 2014... he didn't leave in 2014

Wanyama asked to leave in 2015.... he didn't leave in 2015

van Dijk joins Saints in 2015 after both Schneiderlin and Wanyama had been forced to stay one more season.

Easy for the club to reject £12m for Schneiderlin and Wanyama.

We aren't going to reject £60m for an unhappy player that wants to leave.

Players join us because we are roughly the 20th richest club on the planet and are the best offer they got.

If players intend to use us as a stepping stone, then sign the initial 5 year contract, reject extensions, stay for 3 years and the club will probably let them go when they are down to the final 2. It's not that hard and I'm sure it won't have gone unnoticed by other players that he signed a 6 year contract last year.

Easy for the club to reject £12m for Schneiderlin and Wanyama.

We aren't going to reject £60m for an unhappy player that wants to leave.

They will if they think they can get another year of service from a very good centre back, and then get £70M.

If Liverpool meet our valuation and no other club does, we should sell him to them. It's just good business that way. If they have tapped him up, we should pursue any potential complaint against them, on the basis that they have reduced our competitiveness unfairly.

Neither situation is personal, and it doesn't make any sense to me to be ****ed off at Liverpool for paying good money for our players. If we make 60m out of Liverpool and buy 2 or 3 decent players with the money, we've improved our squad, and I'm happy with that.

7 clean sheets in 18.5 games says they'll do a job !

How many did we score in that time?

It may not be the responsibility of the defenders to get goals, but if the mentality of the entire team is to keep it tight and be difficult to beat, it should be expected to keep clean sheets.

How many did we score in that time?

It may not be the responsibility of the defenders to get goals, but if the mentality of the entire team is to keep it tight and be difficult to beat, it should be expected to keep clean sheets.

The question should be how many chances did we create as the actual ability of our forwards to get it in the net was **** poor even penalties were beyond them at the end of last season.

Can we sue Liverpool for the cost of VVD's wages during this strike period - or from the point of the meeting with Klopp? Might be worth a shout as they have clearly caused this. Alternatively sue VVD's agent.

In other news, does anybody know if Ronald Koeman still own's that flat he was in in Ocean Village? There was a silver Aston Martin there yesterday - 500 RK. Just wondered if we'd sell to Everton for 50m

Can we sue Liverpool for the cost of VVD's wages during this strike period - or from the point of the meeting with Klopp? Might be worth a shout as they have clearly caused this. Alternatively sue VVD's agent.

In other news, does anybody know if Ronald Koeman still own's that flat he was in in Ocean Village? There was a silver Aston Martin there yesterday - 500 RK. Just wondered if we'd sell to Everton for 50m

Just read that as a 'silver Aaron Martin'

Simple decision for the club. If they feel VVD at some stage will back down, be professional and that his relationship with the club, staff and players isn't beyomd repair then they should keep him.

If any of those things isnt the case then they have no option but to sell.

We can't hold a £60m asset that isn't contributing.

That said, potentially swapping Fonte and VVD for Bednarek and Hoedt or/Wimmer in 6 months would be terrible management.

No that is your (and many other's) interpretation of the business model, unless you can point out where anyone in the hierarchy has said that we are a stepping stone club.

It is incorrect as well. People come to us because of the wages we offer compared to other clubs. They might then see that we can advance players to a certain level that makes them attractive to other clubs and they may take a step up. For example, why did Gaston come here? He quite openly admitted it was the money. Nothing about thinking he could take a step up and move on. Tadic the same. VVD came to us because we were the club paying the most who were prepared to take the chance on him.

All the replies to me are fair, but we are known as a selling club that allow players to prove themselves in the PL. If you all are saying no we are not a stepping stone club, then why are we fretting we VVD? the club have no reason to buckle and can wait for the window to close just like Liverpool will re Coutinho or the Italian cub with Kietha(spl?)

Simple decision for the club. If they feel VVD at some stage will back down, be professional and that his relationship with the club, staff and players isn't beyomd repair then they should keep him.

If any of those things isnt the case then they have no option but to sell.

We can't hold a £60m asset that isn't contributing.

That said, potentially swapping Fonte and VVD for Bednarek and Hoedt or/Wimmer in 6 months would be terrible management.

Why do some insist on bleating on about Fonte, he was on a big decline and is now worse than JS and MY... we would only be worse off because of the loss VVD

Quite. I actually don't mind being a shop window for a couple of years if an amazing player gets a big move, we profit and get to watch them in the meantime. What is different about this is a) VVD, agent and Klopp's illegal and disgusting conduct b) Unlike 2014 when Lallana and Lovren were kicking off, we don't have the financial pressure to sell and that's what the player and his numbskull agent don't seem to understand.

If I were Les Reed and MP, I'd buy a replacement now and then sell VVD in Jan (when desperation/injuries at top 4 clubs may push the price up again) or May, let him on the bench in the meantime. Our needs are then covered and the club has made a stand against the player and the agent.

Can we stop talking about him as a £60m player, or this as a £60mil deal. He is worth far more than £60mil in today's market, given that John Stones cost £50mil. Van Dijk is arguably the best CB in the league (he is, in my opinion). John Stones probably isn't even in the top 10.

Can we stop talking about him as a £60m player, or this as a £60mil deal. He is worth far more than £60mil in today's market, given that John Stones cost £50mil. Van Dijk is arguably the best CB in the league (he is, in my opinion). John Stones probably isn't even in the top 10.

Agree, don't want to sell at all but if he goes for anywhere near 60m mark rather than the anywhere near the 75M, that will rub extra salt into the gaping wound.

All the replies to me are fair, but we are known as a selling club that allow players to prove themselves in the PL. If you all are saying no we are not a stepping stone club, then why are we fretting we VVD? the club have no reason to buckle and can wait for the window to close just like Liverpool will re Coutinho or the Italian cub with Kietha(spl?)

You could argue Barca have been forced to sell Neymar to PSG by player/agent/press antics. Barcelona.

Players and agents are just after £££, and that includes some of Wolves recent signings. Nobody can tell me the Neymar deal is about anything other than money. I can just about accept Coutinho to Barca might be about football but there will still be £££ involved.

If Saints get another CB first, they've played this just right. If Pool buy him, it's been because of tapping up and they pay a huge premium. Plus I suspect the tapping up evidence comes out to help spike the agent. If Pool won't pay up, VVD has put his other suitors off - what a moron.

We can afford to buy another CB to go with Stephens - VVD has been out for a while so let's see if he can regain his place in the autumn. Pool if they want VVD now are either going to have to give us their Coutinho money or shut up.

If we had Kept Koeman, this situation would never have occurred. Yes he was a ****, perhaps his demands were unrealistic, but without stability or inspiration, I'm not surprised the team began to fragment.

Koeman switched his agent to Wassermans and then all of a sudden, despite Koeman pledging allegiance to us until his contract expired, he then went to Everton. Virgil Van-Dijk's agent is Wassermans and despite signing a six year contract with Saints, all of a sudden he is militating for a move away. You don't see any connection here?

I suspect that it was them who put both Koeman and Van-Dijk up to this, and they are the bastards who have probably orchestrated Van-Dik's stroppiness. Apart from playing hard ball with Van-Dijk and absolutely refusing to sell him to Liverpool, we ought to make it clear that we will not be doing any future business with Wassermans too.

Really don't understand the fans who are urging the club to get rid of VVD. Guess it's a purely emotional thing like being jilted by a girlfriend but to me it makes no sense.

Really think the club are doing exactly the right thing by effectively putting him on 'gardening leave' until he eventually comes around. Which he will. What other choice does he have ?.

VVD is playing the game that he's been ill advised to do by his lousy agent and some dodgy scousers but the only cards he's got are to use up some of the club's budget on wages for him not playing and to disrupt the team.

We've been paying his wages for the last 6 months without him kicking a ball so what's the difference and we're keeping him seperated from the team (this was our mistake with Fonte) by having him train alone.

Meanwhile his country are sitting third in their World Cup qualifying group 3 points behind both France and Sweden and are playing both sides before October is out. In fact the France game is this month and is shaping up as one of that illustrious country's most important games of recent years.

Let's not forget that he has 5 years of his contract left to run. 5 years.

So what exactly are Virgil's options if we stand firm ?

If he agrees to come back to the team and then plays up we simply kick him back into solitary for a while and adopt a more hardline attitude about when he can get a move away.

If the club continues to hold firm then Virgil's only real options are to come around, give us one last season and then get his move or to play up and knacker his own career.

You could argue Barca have been forced to sell Neymar to PSG by player/agent/press antics. Barcelona.

Players and agents are just after £££, and that includes some of Wolves recent signings. Nobody can tell me the Neymar deal is about anything other than money. I can just about accept Coutinho to Barca might be about football but there will still be £££ involved.

If Saints get another CB first, they've played this just right. If Pool buy him, it's been because of tapping up and they pay a huge premium. Plus I suspect the tapping up evidence comes out to help spike the agent. If Pool won't pay up, VVD has put his other suitors off - what a moron.

We can afford to buy another CB to go with Stephens - VVD has been out for a while so let's see if he can regain his place in the autumn. Pool if they want VVD now are either going to have to give us their Coutinho money or shut up.

Neymar's situation is completely different. He has a release clause which it seems PSG have met. Barcelona don't really have a say in it and all the power really is in the player's hands there.

on the proviso that PSG pay the full 198million up front in one go :lol:

Neymar: Paris St-Germain must pay £198m 'in full' to sign Barcelona forward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40800757

Apparently we're the only club though that is put under pressure to sell and ever does. If Barca have to....

Liverpool are already trying to say Coutinho was over-rated - BS. He's their star player. We'll have most if not all of the proceeds up front if you want VVD now though....or wait 12 months.

Neymar's situation is completely different. He has a release clause which it seems PSG have met. Barcelona don't really have a say in it and all the power really is in the player's hands there.

Biggest club - or certainly one of the top 2 or 3 - in the world though. Agree on the technicality but why would you swap Barca for PSG? £££.

Probably good business by Barca and reckon it might destabilise PSG.

The point I was making is that if a club of that size - release clause or not - can be shorn of it's best players then you can see the pressure Saints have been under.

Really don't understand the fans who are urging the club to get rid of VVD. Guess it's a purely emotional thing like being jilted by a girlfriend but to me it makes no sense.

Really think the club are doing exactly the right thing by effectively putting him on 'gardening leave' until he eventually comes around. Which he will. What other choice does he have ?.

VVD is playing the game that he's been ill advised to do by his lousy agent and some dodgy scousers but the only cards he's got are to use up some of the club's budget on wages for him not playing and to disrupt the team.

We've been paying his wages for the last 6 months without him kicking a ball so what's the difference and we're keeping him seperated from the team (this was our mistake with Fonte) by having him train alone.

Meanwhile his country are sitting third in their World Cup qualifying group 3 points behind both France and Sweden and are playing both sides before October is out. In fact the France game is this month and is shaping up as one of that illustrious country's most important games of recent years.

Let's not forget that he has 5 years of his contract left to run. 5 years.

So what exactly are Virgil's options if we stand firm ?

If he agrees to come back to the team and then plays up we simply kick him back into solitary for a while and adopt a more hardline attitude about when he can get a move away.

If the club continues to hold firm then Virgil's only real options are to come around, give us one last season and then get his move or to play up and knacker his own career.

Yes, I agree with that. The only bit I add is to buy his replacement now so they have time to bed in and also VVD may not be match fit until say October.

Biggest club - or certainly one of the top 2 or 3 - in the world though. Agree on the technicality but why would you swap Barca for PSG? £££.

The point I was making is that if a club of that size - release clause or not - can be shorn of it's best players then you can see the pressure Saints have been under.

It's a bit more than a technicality.

Legally Barcelona have absolutely no recourse to keep hold of their player.

Without that they wouldn't be selling.

To be fair 200m will get you any player from any club - if we started selling players for 200m I dont think many would be upset.

Liverpool could survive without Coutinho as they have Mane who completely destroyed Bayern last night.

Issue for us is VVD is our best player no question and his replacement is Maya Yoshida

Neymar has a 222m euro release clause. His father is his agent. PSG have to pay the release clause in full before he is released. Barcelona, Neymar and PSG are tied by the contract and provided the conditions are fulfilled Neymar can move. This is completely different to VVD who is trying to force a sale by an unwilling seller whilst indicating he is psychologically unable to motivate himself unless he gets his way.

Make him put in a transfer request and provided he pays up the five years left on his contract and he pays all related agents fees with the transfer we will transfer his registration to LFC on receipt of £70m paid in full. That will make a few eyes water.

To be fair 200m will get you any player from any club - if we started selling players for 200m I dont think many would be upset.

Liverpool could survive without Coutinho as they have Mane who completely destroyed Bayern last night.

Issue for us is VVD is our best player no question and his replacement is Maya Yoshida

All except you who would whine and wail that we are not spending it all

Yoshida is not his replacement as we don`t have one yet.... so that trolling rubbish is exactly that..rubbish

yeah hopeful not like last time he was on when he asked why VVD would want go Liverpool when they haven't got Champions league football...

Saying we need signings and doesn't know why we haven't made any yet !

The club should simply tell VVD if he wants a move to put in a transfer request, then tell Liverpool that the asking price is £75m

If either refused to play ball - I would not even let him rot in the reserves. You can sit at home and get fat and sh*t, then when you are 31 no one will want you and your career will be over.

The club should simply tell VVD if he wants a move to put in a transfer request, then tell Liverpool that the asking price is £75m

If either refused to play ball - I would not even let him rot in the reserves. You can sit at home and get fat and sh*t, then when you are 31 no one will want you and your career will be over.

As amusing as that last option will be, legally I assume he is entitled to full use of our training facilities.

It's a nice idea but can't see any club turning their back on (give or take) £60-70m and then splashing out another £5-6m on wages for someone to sit at home.

The club should now start 'tapping up' the likes of Chelsea/City and offering a player at favourable terms and they may then just turn someone's head with a nice fat salary offer. AOBL.

I don't particularly begrudge a player wanting to move to a bigger club. I do begrudge a player signing a long term contract, and within a year playing footsie with another club, and then acting like a complete douchebag when they don't get their way.

Selling him seems like the easiest option, but the club should hold firm. This level of behaviour by Liverpool, the agent and the player should not be rewarded and backing down now after digging in all summer would look poor. I say that with a little trepidation because keeping him could prove to be disruptive for the squad and Pellegrino. It could also risk another Berahino situation. Also, the idea of paying him millions to stay with a club he does not respect, rubs me the wrong way.

Also, I assumed that when the club fed the information to the media about reintegrating VVD this week, they had some solid information leading them to believe that they would succeed. Based upon today's news, they did not. Telling the media in advance seems like a mistake to me.

To be fair, the clubs attempt to stem the out-flow of quality through the introduction of long term contracts for our best players was worthwhile. We were all shouting for it a year or two ago.

But what we didn't realise was quite how treacherous some players can be when they see an opportunity.

So, 6 year contracts don't engender loyalty, but they should provide decent compensation when the ****s are looking for an escape route. Not really the Southampton Way we bought into with NIgel and MP mk.1.

Sadly I think this situation is a legacy of the Puel era. The club chose a journeyman manager who was unable to inspire the team or the fans. If we had Kept Koeman, this situation would never have occurred. Yes he was a ****, perhaps his demands were unrealistic, but without stability or inspiration, I'm not surprised the team began to fragment.

Hopefully MP mk.2 is able to forge a better team from the players we have, and we get to keep him for a few seasons.

Koeman would have left this summer anyway so that's bull, I'm afraid.

There is a price we will sell to Liverpool for, but they're not prepared to pay it. Either we'll lower that price, they'll pay it, or he'll come round & play out the season. My monies on the first one, we will back down & do a deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a price we will sell to Liverpool for, but they're not prepared to pay it. Either we'll lower that price, they'll pay it, or he'll come round & play out the season. My monies on the first one, we will back down & do a deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In which case the answer to your previous question....

Do you really think we're run by a bunch of half baked idiots?

Would simply be yes.