Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

But Mane didn't sign the new long term contract we offered. If VVD had turned it down, things would be completely different--although we might still have expected one more year since he originally signed a five year contract rather than a four year contract.

True, though does VVD see it that way? All he sees is a player doing two years, then getting a move. Only the other days others were claiming that having a lengthy contract was more about protecting and advancing the club's interests than the player's interests.

Neither of you answered my question!

If tomorrow somebody came to YOU and said they would triple your salary for 4 years, allowing you to maximise your earning potential, giving your children the best life you can possibly provide for them, what would YOU do?

Where was our supporter's and club's loyalty when it came to sacking Puel? Double standards I think? We didn't get European football, sack the manager. Player wants to (and is good enough) to play European football, he's not allowed to do anything about it.

I don't understand why people think he owes us anything. We didn't rescue him from a raft drifting at sea or give him a job when nobody else would. He has a contract to play football for us, that's it!

I think there are parallels with Gatlin winning the 100m the other day. He got his deserved boos and most people think he shouldn't have been running but the system and the law allows it, why would he not turn up to race? The system in football is broken, it makes me sick to the point I am numbed by what goes on nowadays but I don't blame an abitious man for wanting the best for himself and his family and taking every opportunity that comes his way.

And that contract has 5 years to run. Can't have it both ways. The way he has gone about realising his ambition is arrogant at the very least. He owes us 5 years as that is what he signed up to - no one put a ****ing gun to his head.

If tomorrow somebody came to YOU and said they would triple your salary for 4 years, allowing you to maximise your earning potential, giving your children the best life you can possibly provide for them, what would YOU do?

Where was our supporter's and club's loyalty when it came to sacking Puel? Double standards I think? We didn't get European football, sack the manager. Player wants to (and is good enough) to play European football, he's not allowed to do anything about it.

I don't understand why people think he owes us anything. We didn't rescue him from a raft drifting at sea or give him a job when nobody else would. He has a contract to play football for us, that's it!

I think there are parallels with Gatlin winning the 100m the other day. He got his deserved boos and most people think he shouldn't have been running but the system and the law allows it, why would he not turn up to race? The system in football is broken, it makes me sick to the point I am numbed by what goes on nowadays but I don't blame an abitious man for wanting the best for himself and his family and taking every opportunity that comes his way.

Why don't you answer the question that numerous posters asked you???!!! Why should we be walked over when he signed a 6 YEAR contact 12 months previously??

What should the board do with regards to VVD?

1) Sell to Liverpool for £70m

2) Sell to anyone else but Liverpool if offered £60m

3) If options 1 and 2 cannot be fulfilled, sell for less just to get shot of a bad influence

4) Let him rot for rest of contract, even if it affects how much we have to spend

Something like this should be a poll maybe?

If anyone else has other options please add by all means

5) stand firm and dont sell,with the possibility of him being reintegrated into the squad after the window slams shut.

to be honest hes not the first to throw a tantrum and probably wont be the last, but what id like to see is our club be strong for a change and not to reward this behaviour by him or liverpool

Football is different though. In that hypothetical, I could hand my notice in and in 3 months sign with the new company, probably get a nice leaving card and crate of beer, and a leaving party. And I probably would do. VVD cannot do that. he signed a contract which ties him to the club for 6 years. even if you bend reality and add that component to the hypothetical, there is still a way to do things. 'somebody' approaches you, you refer them straight to the correct channels. "sounds interesting, contact my club, because they hold my registration". no reason why a)Liverpool couldn't have followed the correct 'protocol', like Chelsea did, or b)why VVD had to go for clandestine meetings, with multiple clubs, and then turn around and bad mouth his employer because he got caught. Even as of yesterday, he could have released a statement similar to Mahrez, stating that he regrettably is handing in a transfer request, without trying to pretend saints did anything wrong. no-one said he refused to train, only that he refused to play. if he doesn't refuse to play, I'd like us to play him v Swansea, see if he has the guts to turn up for it, or whether he pulls a Lallana.

FIFA Article 18. Special provisions relating to contracts between professionals and clubs

The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years.

My understanding is that if there is provision within respective FAs rules to have a longer contract it can happen but if it were then I suspect then the vast majority players that go for big fees would likewise sign six year deals. Players like Lukaku signed a 5 year deal with a year option.

This is what the FIFA rules says:

The minimum length of a contract shall be from its effective date until the

end of the season, while the maximum length of a contract shall be five years.

Contracts of any other length shall only be permitted if consistent with national

laws. Players under the age of 18 may not sign a professional contract for a

term longer than three years. Any clause referring to a longer period shall not

be recognised.

Presumably a six year contract is consistent with UK laws.

I can answer your question, but it won't help much. I would take the increase in pay but I am a self-employed attorney who is appointed by courts. I would have to take my old clients with me to my new job and finish there cases. I would just stop taking new ones. My new employer would have to accept that because attorney ethics don't give me any real choice. I might be able to get out of a few of the more recent appointments, but only if I declined to claim my pay for the work I have already done. (My version of a loyalty bonus?)

But realistically that is not going to happen. At most I might be offered a job for twice what I am making now and that is pretty unlikely.

Wow, I pretty much given up with this place years ago...but this is actually quite a sensible post...i'm almost on shock.

its not like he's on the bread line is it, he could stay for a year and know his family is very sound money wise! hes just a total nob! a greedy little clown, WE stood by him, and helped him through a nasty injury! he owes at least a season! sell him abroad or let him rot!

Giving his children the best start they can? :lol:

You say that like they've been sent to work down the coal mines because the shilling and thruppence their father earns isn't enough to buy turnips.

If I earned in a year what he does in a week at Saints, I could still afford to send my kids to an excellent private school.

It would amuse me if we went full Berahino on him and left him to rot for the remainder of his contract

Would love to see that now. Really would. 5 years in the reserves Virgil or alternatively come crawling back, apologise and see how you get on. Sadly money dictates that it won't happen.

Just stop driveline on and on comparing the man in the street's wages with a premiership player it is clearly totally no comparison and not a relevant analogy in any way.

Just stop it.....

Giving his children the best start they can? [emoji38]

You say that like they've been sent to work down the coal mines because the shilling and thruppence their father earns isn't enough to buy turnips.

If I earned in a year what he does in a week at Saints, I could still afford to send my kids to an excellent private school.

Not sure that many people on £70k a year are sending their kids to "excellent private schools" but there you go.

its not like he's on the bread line is it, he could stay for a year and know his family is very sound money wise! hes just a total nob! a greedy little clown, WE stood by him, and helped him through a nasty injury! he owes at least a season! sell him abroad or let him rot!

Waaay! That's more like it! Thought i'd logged onto the wrong forum for a minute!

The ill-informed comment by Ian Wright on Radio 5 Live, that Southampton are a selling club, is exactly why the club must not concede to a player whose contract still has 5 years to run. Wright is apparently unaware that the players Southampton sold that he is referring to, were enforced sales where contracts only had a short time left and the player would not agree to renew. It appears that Wright isn't aware of the circumstances around those sales and has made a simplistic statement that creates an inaccurate picture. The fact that Southampton has refused to sell Van Dijk gives the lie to any claim that this is a selling club because if it were true, Van Dijk would not still be here. It is important for the club to stand firm in order to show the football world that its players cannot be picked-off.

The mealy mouthed statement released on Van Dijk's behalf changes nothing but it does contain evidence of the tapping up. Since the player is not for sale, SFC can reject any approach unless it meets the club's own valuation, which for a player on a 5-year contract will be exceptionally high. In particular, it should be hoped that SFC will refuse to have any discussion with Liverpool in retribution for their illegal approach having been the cause of unsettling the player. Being told to train alone does not prevent him from training and is the consequence of his own actions. To claim otherwise is a lie.

Like many other people, I have no wish to see Van Dijk in the Southampton first-team again and I don't care if he rots in the reserves until such time as he makes a grovelling apology or a club we are prepared to deal with comes in for him.

3) If options 1 and 2 cannot be fulfilled, sell for less just to get shot of a bad influence

4) Let him rot for rest of contract, even if it affects how much we have to spend

If this is going to be a poll, let's have it as "with regard to" rather than "with regards" as "with regards" doesn't make sense in this context.

The ill-informed comment by Ian Wright on Radio 5 Live, that Southampton are a selling club, is exactly why the club must not concede to a player whose contract still has 5 years to run. Wright is apparently unaware that the players Southampton sold that he is referring to, were enforced sales where contracts only had a short time left and the player would not agree to renew. It appears that Wright isn't aware of the circumstances around those sales and has made a simplistic statement that creates an inaccurate picture. The fact that Southampton has refused to sell Van Dijk gives the lie to any claim that this is a selling club because if it were true, Van Dijk would not still be here. It is important for the club to stand firm in order to show the football world that its players cannot be picked-off.

The mealy mouthed statement released on Van Dijk's behalf changes nothing but it does contain evidence of the tapping up. Since the player is not for sale, SFC can reject any approach unless it meets the club's own valuation, which for a player on a 5-year contract will be exceptionally high. In particular, it should be hoped that SFC will refuse to have any discussion with Liverpool in retribution for their illegal approach having been the cause of unsettling the player. Being told to train alone does not prevent him from training and is the consequence of his own actions. To claim otherwise is a lie.

Like many other people, I have no wish to see Van Dijk in the Southampton first-team again and I don't care if he rots in the reserves until such time as he makes a grovelling apology or a club we are prepared to deal with comes in for him.

After briefly skimming through the BBC article I made the mistake of reading Wright's comments and then some of the user comments. I find it unbelievable how pundits can be so bloody blinkered, and how people in general can be so detestable. The cretins on "have your say" make even the worst WUMs and trolls on here seem like coherent well rounded individuals...

Who honestly thought when he signed a 6 year contract that he would still be with us in:

A 6 years

B 5 years

C 4 years

D 3 years

E 2 years or less.

I don't blame him for signing the new contract, most of us would if in a similar situation.

We went too public with the Liverpool tapping. What did we honestly think we'd achieve taking this route? It's a cluster **** of a commercial mess. Our MO is to act as a stepping stone for serious talent, it's a sensible approach given our size and status. We're now flying in the face of this operation and I'd like to know why? What has changed?

Or simply "What should the board do about VVD?"

That works for me too! Just as long as we don't have "with regards" plastered across the top of the page. It may seem a trifling matter but it saddens me that 90% of people probably don't realise it's wrong...

Our MO is to act as a stepping stone for serious talent, it's a sensible approach given our size and status. We're now flying in the face of this operation and I'd like to know why? What has changed?

What a load of utter cobblers.

We are a club people come to because of the wages we pay. Pure and simple. If another club in this county or abroad, paid better, then these players would go there unless it was in a right **** hole that they didn't want to live in/near.

What a load of utter cobblers.

We are a club people come to because of the wages we pay. Pure and simple. If another club in this county or abroad, paid better, then these players would go there unless it was in a right **** hole that they didn't want to live in/near.

We're a proving ground for the likes of Mane, van Dijk. Dry your eyes and get over it.

I honestly do not get people who think we should just sell him. That is what he wants us to do. You're playing into his hands. As others have pointed out this goes way beyond money. Whilst he was injured sitting around collecting his money from the club he was in talks with Liverpool behind our back. He is/was the captain of the club and is supposed to set an example to everyone. He signed a new contract not long ago and even said himself that being here is the best time of his career. The only reason he has handed in this request is because Liverpool were caught out cheating and backed off. They will only bid if we give them permission. And as we said countless times that wouldn't happen as he was not for sale. He then obviously kicks up a stink behind the scenes leading to whatever reason he was fined for. Because he has not got his way he wants to lay blame at the club. He wants to cause as much fuss as possible to get his way, like a spoilt kid.

If the club bows to his wishes and sells this window it sends a message to every player at this club from the first team all the way to the youngsters in the academy. If you want out do a Virgil and your get your move and the extra pay day you and your agent wanted. Wenger said about Sanchez 'He signed a deal and we expect him to honor it, he will not be leaving no matter the fee'. For me it is the same thing here. If you sell him the fall out will be far worse and no money will fix it. If you are trying to build something at a club the contracts are there so you know who will be at your club, you can plan around it. If every window you have 1 or main players wanting out it creates a negative atmosphere around the club. If you set an example it sends the message to the players that we will not be walked over and do what you want, when you want it. We expect you to keep to your side of the deal and act professional and respectful. Give in to his demands and we will create a lot more problems for ourselves further down the line. £70m would be nice but people are talking as if that will go straight back into the squad. Our owner is trying to sell the club, why would she put that money into something she was going to sell? It would put the asking price up wouldn't it?

The thing to realise here is that there is no such thing as loyalty in football anymore and that includes players, managers and clubs - they are all guilty. The second thing is that contracts mean absolutely nothing, aside from helping the selling club negotiate a higher price. Once a player has made his mind up to leave, that generally is that. The worst thing about all of this is the timing. Any true Saints fan will acknowledge that Virgil is way too good for us and he will achieve great things at a bigger club. The key thing from our view is that we don't get bullied into letting him go on the cheap. In today's market, he has to be valued at £60 million. We should accept nothing less than that unless we are handed a player or two in exchange. Whatever happens, Virgil has been one of the best players I have seen play for Saints in my 30 plus years of watching them, but he will leave under a dark cloud and that is a real shame.

Exactly :lol:

Really don't understand the attempted analogy with Puel. A club's commitment to a player/manager is financial, whereas a player's/manager's commitment to a club is offered in years/services. We want their years, they want our money. As far as Puel goes, he was paid the entire amount of his wages (or thereabouts, I imagine) and thus our commitment to him is technically fulfilled/honoured. He wasn't screwed out of anything he was owed...he was owed money, and he got it. Players/Managers are the only parties who owe years.

Edit: I think I'm too tired to be making the point I was trying to make :D

Edited by Donatello

If by setting the example you want to then you're closing the door to future talent like van Dijk and Mane being seen as this club again. Think about it. This is the **** state football is in, we ain't going to change that.

Firstly sorry for the wall of text, typed it on my phone and don't have an edit button!

But I disagree with your point. There will always be future talent. We took him from Celtic to the PL. If the club is doing well there will always be teams wanting our players. That is the nature of the beast. We give them the game time to progress. If he was bought from Celtic by any of the others would he have played as many games as he has? I don't think so. He would get limited playing time where as here and at similar level teams he would start most games.

There is a natural progress to the big clubs and Southampton are apart of that. Unless you show something special really young you will not be going straight to the big clubs. Look at Chelsea and how many people they have loaned out. To get into those type of teams 25 player squads you have to be very good. You have to have experience. The only place you will get that on a weekly basis is somewhere like here. If we stand up to him it will not change anything in regards to people wanting to come here. There has to be a right way of going about things and the way he has done it is clearly wrong. He should not be rewarded for that behaviour at all.

We're a proving ground for the likes of Mane, van Dijk. Dry your eyes and get over it.

I can assure you my eyes are very dry. In fact I am all a wee bit ambivalent about this saga as with anything that I cannot control. Of course I have an opinion (don't we all?) but I have rather more important things in life to worry about rather than a player wants to act in a hugely disrespectful manner. But it still doesn't change the fact that people come to Saints because of the wages we pay. If you think otherwise then you are being overly naive. We do have the 8th highest wage bill in the league (or used to) and of course there is always the desire with these players to be able to earn more. Its the same with all players at all clubs, save for the increasingly rare local boy playing for his local club. Players go to the club that pays them the most. They don't come to us specifically because we are a stepping stone, even if that is the ultimate aim.

Handing in a transfer request and releasing a statement like that aims to enrage the fan base and break the relationship beyond repair. This is last chance saloon for his move. Sadly it seems it's having the desired affect with a lot of the fanbase. Let's all have a reality check, very few players play for the love of their club, Virg is just doing what he feels he needs to do. Yes it's not nice but id much rather have him here on September 1st, even if he has acted like a ****. He's a ****ing exceptional player and we'd be lucky to still have him.

If by setting the example you want to then you're closing the door to future talent like van Dijk and Mane being seen as this club again. Think about it. This is the **** state football is in, we ain't going to change that.

If any potential player was that concerned they could quite easily a) sign a shorter contract initially, and b) not extend the duration of said contract whilst here. :thumbup: Any player thick enough not to understand that concept deserves whatever's coming to them (.....millions upon millions of pounds :lol: poor things)

Let's all have a reality check, very few players play for the love of their club, Virg is just doing what he feels he needs to do. Yes it's not nice but id much rather have him here on September 1st, even if he has acted like a ****. He's a ****ing exceptional player and we'd be lucky to still have him.

Pony

Contrast his behaviour with Courtino's. There's a way of leaving a football club and this ain't it. I don't want the **** playing for our first team ever again, I don't feel "lucky" to have him. You're acting like a sap whose fit wife has just ****ged your mate, but because she's fit you feel "lucky". Even though she can't stand you & ****s about, "lucky"? **** off. I'd rather stick with Yoshida, even if he is a 6 pinter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pony

Contrast his behaviour with Courtino's. There's a way of leaving a football club and this ain't it. I don't want the **** playing for our first team ever again, I don't feel "lucky" to have him. You're acting like a sap whose fit wife has just ****ged your mate, but because she's fit you feel "lucky". Even though she can't stand you & ****s about, "lucky"? **** off. I'd rather stick with Yoshida, even if he is a 6 pinter.

Using that analogy, if my wife sha*ged my mate I would want her out asap

to me the worst thing about this, is that he accepted the role of captain! be honest and just say....look i don't think i'm staying here, give it to someone that is going to be a stalwart for the club! utter clown!

If I enjoyed my job and got on with my colleagues and didn't want to uproot my family and I was in a job that I'd recently committed to then it wouldn't be a straightforward decision to make. I've always felt loyalty to employers that have been good to me, even when the pay's been poor.

Money would come into it of course, but at the opposite end of the scale; a tripling of wages from 20k a year to £60k a year for example would be the difference of buying a house or renting a bedsit, of going on a weekend camping holiday to Dorset or round the world trips. Not sure what you can buy on 150k a week that you can't buy on 50k a week.

50k p/a is a top end salary in my eyes, and that ought to take 10-20 years to work up to in a forty year career. For Van Dyke a year on say 50k he'd earn more than 99% of people would in a lifetime.

He could buy half a dozen miserable one bed flats lease them us mere mortals and profiteer of us for the rest of his life without having to do any work (post retirement).

Not really sure that he should have a different attitude than any of our other players, surely Forster, Bertrand, Gabbi etc all want to triple their wages and play in Europe as well. Supposed they've not been tapped up, or maybe they're just being professional.

Pony

He's probably the best CB in the league, so as the 8th best team in the league yes we would be lucky to have him because he is better than us. Sorry i'm thinking about winning football matches, not whether he loves the club as much as I do. He's the player the club decided to keep, I don't doubt plenty of other players we've sold would have behaved in the same way if we had have stood in their way. And the reason the club have decided to keep him, is because he's ****ing good. So hopefully they're not as emotional as most of us lot, and are going to stick to their guns.

Also regarding Coutinho, it seems a lot of their players & ex players have this weird lovey dovey relationship with the fans, I guess you only have to look at Gerard's treatment when he wanted to go to Chelsea to understand why their players don't tend to act up that much. I can't imagine many Saints fans threatening Virgil's family, to be honest.

Everything is down to money. There is no offer now, at least officially. Liverpool are not offering until we are begging them to do so. Now the valuation has been dropped from £70m to £50m. It could still be dropping. It could end up at $40m unless there is a bidding war. However, from our experience in selling players like mane, wanyama, Spiderman, etc., there is no such bidding war though there appeared to be interests from different big clubs.

I'd accept the job offer and work out my notice, AS PER THE TERMS OF MY CONTRACT. And the that is the important part, he signed a 6 year contract without a release clause, and he did that because he got a huge pay rise and security in case of a serious injury. But what the club gets from that is some control over how, when and to whom we choose to accept offers from to sell him. It is outrageous for him to behave the way he is having only signed that contract 12 months ago, he should be getting on with his job and playing for us, and if and when we accept an offer for him then he is entitled to leave. It's very simple and there is no absolutely no defending his position.

Loyalty to Puel? His contract was paid up! We didn't "sack" him in the normal sense. There have been numerous cases when the roles have been reversed and a club would like to get rid of a player but the player refuses as he knows he can't earn the same money elsewhere. Osvaldo and Ramirez spring to mind, we'd have loved to have got rid of them earlier than we did, but the players quite rightly refused to leave unless their contracts were paid up in full. See Winston Bogarde

"He has a contract to play football for us, that's it". Exactly, he isn't playing!

As for players not wanting to join us if we don't allow them to move on, which club are they going to join instead? Stoke, West Ham, Leicester? I don't see any other clubs promising to just let players leave whenever they feel like it. They'll still join us because we offer very good wages compared to most clubs in Europe

Everything is down to money. There is no offer now, at least officially. Liverpool are not offering until we are begging them to do so. Now the valuation has been dropped from £70m to £50m. It could still be dropping. It could end up at $40m unless there is a bidding war. However, from our experience in selling players like mane, wanyama, Spiderman, etc., there is no such bidding war though there appeared to be interests from different big clubs.

Who the hell is saying this, not the club. His value is what the club says it is, not you or the media. I'm staggered at some of the sh1te posted by our fans.

If VvD is relying on us dropping our price for him to get his move, he'll end up disappointed.

Handing in a transfer request and releasing a statement like that aims to enrage the fan base and break the relationship beyond repair. This is last chance saloon for his move. Sadly it seems it's having the desired affect with a lot of the fanbase. Let's all have a reality check, very few players play for the love of their club, Virg is just doing what he feels he needs to do. Yes it's not nice but id much rather have him here on September 1st, even if he has acted like a ****. He's a ****ing exceptional player and we'd be lucky to still have him.

This x10.

This is the last throw of the dice from VVD.

Stand firm Saints.

Sell to Chinese SuperLEague.

Enjoy the smog Virgil :)

5) Call his bluff. Refuse to sell and then accept him back into the team after 1st September when his head miraculously returns to being in the right place.

It's a World Cup year. He's not going to keep this cobblers up for much longer.

Klippity Klop 'We are no longer interested in anymore CB's as we have 4 great ones here.'

Next day VVD hands in a transfer request with speculation Liverpool are coming in with a 60m bid.

I'm sorry but does that suggests they are still tapping him up?

Please sell to anyone but Liverpool and teach them a lesson Les.

Needs to be sidelined and kept away from the first team for 6 weeks or so. Then if he is contrite enough we might be able to ease him back in. Time is a great healer. We don't need the disruption right now and with Stephens looking the real deal there is no urgency. His agent needs a kick up the ******** as well once this is all over. 1 year into a 6 year contract - what a pillock.