Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Dear Virgil,

I'm so glad you share the club's ambitions

We would have achieved them by now if it wasn't for players like you, Lallana, Lovren, Clyne, Mane, Wanyama,Schneiderlin, Alderweireld,etc,etc.

And why would you want to go to Liverpool, a team we so comprehensively outplayed over 2 legs last season?

As Carragher said last night Liverpool haven't won anything for 12 years.Why is that going to change all of a sudden

I've seen a few performances which were questionable in terms of commitment, and later it transpired they were off. So avoiding injury. Quite sure it happens. Ps Grobbelaar was involved in a few incidents wasnt he? Not saving quite as many as he could...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there certainly wasn't anything questionable about Nigel Quashie's display away at QPR a week or so before he ****ed off to WBA. He didn't ****ing care or try, simple as that.

there certainly wasn't anything questionable about Nigel Quashie's display away at QPR a week or so before he ****ed off to WBA. He didn't ****ing care or try, simple as that.

Quite so

really annoying to watch the debate and hear redknappp talking about how we are nothing but a selling club, and we should be happy and just take the money to reinvest, such arrogance he even made carragher look like less of a t0sser.

would love nothing more then we actually stand firm on this for multiple reasons

Who wins if we stand firm?

The best outcome is that he goes to a top / big / money club other than Liverpool.

The 2nd best outcome is he goes to Liverpool.

He's toxic to us, time to move him on.

How can he be toxic, he's not even near the squad?

Worth checking here shortly

"Kevin PalmerVerified account @RealKevinPalmer 27m27 minutes agoMore

Interesting vibes coming from the Southampton end after Virgil van Dijk's statement....story will be posted here shortly #saintsfc #LFC #CFC"

https://twitter.com/RealKevinPalmer

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/liverpool-move-van-dijk-blocked-furious-southampton-133115456.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Worth checking here shortly

"Kevin PalmerVerified account @RealKevinPalmer 27m27 minutes agoMore

Interesting vibes coming from the Southampton end after Virgil van Dijk's statement....story will be posted here shortly #saintsfc #LFC #CFC"

https://twitter.com/RealKevinPalmer

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/liverpool-move-van-dijk-blocked-furious-southampton-133115456.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Is the article, nothing new in there as far as I can see.

If it follows the same pattern of previous articles, more information may appear in the Irish Independent today.

...there is a feeling that Liverpool’s overall financial package for the player and his management company is more lucrative than their Premier League rivals and that is the key reason why he is so determined to move to Anfield.

Greedy player. Greedy agent.

Two thoughts:

1. The relationship between VVD and Saints is broken beyond repair. The benefit of keeping him now would be more the principle of not selling rather than what is best for the team. VVD won't play for us again so surely selling and using the big fee to improve our team for the season ahead is what is best for the club?

2. Lovren - Alderweireld - VVD -???

Big job to replace well. If we are ambitious enough to turn down all bids for him then I expect we can go and try and replace him with someone better than Ben Gibson or Kevin Wimmer who is a last resort selection for Spurs.

Two thoughts:

1. The relationship between VVD and Saints is broken beyond repair. The benefit of keeping him now would be more the principle of not selling rather than what is best for the team. VVD won't play for us again so surely selling and using the big fee to improve our team for the season ahead is what is best for the club?

Big job to replace well. If we are ambitious enough to turn down all bids for him then I expect we can go and try and replace him with someone better than Ben Gibson or Kevin Wimmer who is a last resort selection for Spurs.

Thing is, if we hold firm and keep him, is he really prepared to sit on his arse for 5 years? If we were picking him for the team, he'd be in breach of contract and liable for fines if he doesn't play.

Edited by Jimmy_D

Thing is, if we hold firm and keep him, is he really prepared to sit on his arse for 5 years? If we were picking him for the team, he'd be in breach of contract and liable for fines if he doesn't play.

Surely he would play if picked? After all he is a "Proud professional" that was insulted by the suggestion that it was him that refused to train.

Surely he would play if picked? After all he is a "Proud professional" that was insulted by the suggestion that it was him that refused to train.

That's more or less the point I'm making. We could hold him to his contract.

We're not the ones in the wrong here, and if VvD decided to kick up a stink even more, I don't think he'd have many people siding with him.

Edited by Jimmy_D

Don't understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist over others saying we're a selling club, we are. As is 86/87 of the 92 clubs in England. It's just that we get more focus because of the depth of talent we've unearthed. It's not an insult, it's a fact. If VvD played for WBA they'd be in the same boat. West Ham had to sell their star man. It's just a fact of life, whether we like it or not is irrelevant.

Funny enough I'm reading a book about Shanks at the moment. There's a bit about scouting players. Evidently, he went to watch one & after 20 mins the player got kicked & made a right meal of it., rolling around & moaning at the ref. "C'mon we're off, I've seen enough " said Shanks to his buddy with him. They didn't sign the player. How I wish managers had that attitude now. That they would be put off by players antics, that Klopp would say he's not interested in VvD now because of his selfish unprofessional behaviour. Unfortunately he won't, any more than we would. We'd have signed Berihino & ignored the shiete he put WBA through. It's not just players & agents that stink, it's managers & clubs as well.

I hope reports of us sticking him in the stands for a season are true, it'll do a great service to the game. However, are we supporters prepared to accept Yoshida & Stephens whilst he does so, or will we expect Kat to put her hand in her pocket & get a replacement in before receiving VvD money. The cold reality of it that the manger will want a replacement, the supporters will want a replacement & the money men will take the emotion out of it , and pay for that replacement by selling VvD.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Two thoughts:

if he is still here after the transfer window closes I bet he backs down and has a change of heart refusing to play for a whole season leaves him out of pocket and damages his career.

I don't believe bridges are borken beyond repair. A contrite apology does wonders. The way to do it would be to sack his agent and reappoint his old one as he could then lump all the blame on Jansen/Wasserman. After all, its only a game of football, and no one has been killed.

And he doesn't speak to any of them outside of sfc no?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I hope the players are professional enough to not let that affect their performances on the pitch. He's not training with the first team, they are preparing the game against Swansea knowing he won't participate. I agree its not a ideal situation but, the club, the players and the fans have known for a couple of months that he wants to leave.

The moment we decide that a player can force hes way out, even with a new 6 years contract signed a year ago, is potentially even more toxic.

There are 3 sides to every story.

VVD has acted badly but probably out of frustration. Hes seen our players (his mates) sold to the top 6 and now its his turn the club have decided enough is enough.

Personally id be annoyed too.

We are sold as a stepping stone club - Boufal and Hojberg spoke openly about it and it was part of the reason they signed.

We are also quite clearly a selling club.... Weve sold 15 first team players in the last 3 years. Unprecedented

Its a tricky one, we've made our bed but now want VVD to sleep on the floor.

Utter hogwash post of the year goes to....

I hope the players are professional enough to not let that affect their performances on the pitch. He's not training with the first team, they are preparing the game against Swansea knowing he won't participate. I agree its not a ideal situation but, the club, the players and the fans have known for a couple of months that he wants to leave.

The moment we decide that a player can force hes way out, even with a new 6 years contract signed a year ago, is potentially even more toxic.

Depends what he was "promised" a year ago though doesn't it ! Who knows, none of us I suspect.

Now if I was told that there might be a major new investor in town and we'd be looking to step up a level and then it all petered out, I might be less than content.

I normally hate transfer speculation but this story has got my interest this Summer for a few different reasons. For what it’s worth, my thoughts are:

1. Saints fans (or to be more specific people on this board) by and large seem to have an inability to form a balanced opinion. If you look at it subjectively, Heisenberg is right. I can see both sides to this story, but to say VVD has nothing to be frustrated about is inaccurate to say the least

2. Until this all started I thought VVD was a decent guy, and perhaps he still is. Clearly the poison in the game is the agent, as has been the case for a long time now. How they can sleep at night I don’t know. Yes VVD shouldn’t have signed a long contract last year if he always had the intention to leave, and yes his statement yesterday probably won’t do him any favours but he is just trying to look after his career or, more to the point his bank balance. It’s been said countless times before but who on here wouldn’t risk upsetting his current employers for triple the salary?

3. I hate LFC with a passion (I live in Ireland and it is swarming with plastic “fans”) and the very worst case scenarios is selling to them. Somebody earlier made a good point about selling to the weakest team in the next “category” and I completely agree with that

4. It will be interesting if nothing gives once the transfer window is shut. On the plus side, we have his words about him being “professional” so we may just end up getting that season (or at least Autumn) out of him knowing he’s effectively in the proverbial shop window. As for “scoring own goals” grow up lads this isn’t Roy of The Rovers

5. We are a selling club. Get over it. We just hope players stick with us long enough (and the very top ones happen to overlap service) to enhance our league position each year. More to the point though and my main frustration with Saints over recent years (fully accepting that in the grand scheme of things we are in a good place) is that the focus is on the “business” not the team. Yes we are financially stable but that doesn’t get the fans’ blood pumping on a Saturday afternoon! Clearly that is a watch this space with the potential sale/takeover

6. In terms of what Carragher et al. have come out and said, I have mixed feeling about this. Some of what they say is true, but some of the people on here go straight onto the back foot and get defensive. They are just looking out for their club no different to how MLT would/does. Generally though I refer you back to (3)..

7. Assuming he never pulls on a Saints shirt again, I do fear clean sheets will be a rarity this season which is my main and most tangible worry

Sorry nothing ground breaking to announce there, just my humble opinion.

Of course we are a selling club. I'm pretty sure we all expected him to leave eventually. But after not playing for 8 months and just signing a new deal? What people just don't seem to be able to grasp on here is that you don't sign a new deal if your plan is to leave in a few months. The others who left were not going to sign new deals with us. We made deals with them that they stay an extra year and then they can go. Virgil has done the total opposite and shouldn't be able to go simply because he is too good for us.....

If he is sold then there is a game within a game for Chelsea. He is, according to all the pundits and experts and Liverpool fans, far more important to Liverpool than he is to Chelsea with some saying he will help them challenge for the title. On that basis why wouldn't Chelsea bid? Makes them stronger and weakens or helps derail a rival's challenge.

Depends what the journo meant by "We understand that van Dijk told Southampton officials last May that he wanted to move on this summer". Last May as in May 2016?

If so, that would be massive news as the club potentially knew he wanted to leave this summer when they offered him a new 6-year contract. Of course, the journo might have meant this May as in May 2017 and/or it might just be all bulls*t.

Edited by shurlock

If he is sold then there is a game within a game for Chelsea. He is, according to all the pundits and experts and Liverpool fans, far more important to Liverpool than he is to Chelsea with some saying he will help them challenge for the title. On that basis why wouldn't Chelsea bid? Makes them stronger and weakens or helps derail a rival's challenge.

I can think of 60million reasons.

I wonder how many clubs in the PL outside of the top 6 will bother signing players being represented by Wasserman? I suspect Saints won't be dealing with them out of choice (ie only when a player changes an agent to them), and it is a pretty small industry so maybe other teams will think twice as well. We've had 2 dealings with them (both as a result of changing agent) and both times they have treated the club with contempt. Sure, they may make a lot of money in the short term, but long term, if they carry on being twonks then they might find a reluctance for people to work with them.

Depends what the journo meant by "We understand that van Dijk told Southampton officials last May that he wanted to move on this summer". Last May as in May 2016?

If so, that would be massive news as the club potentially knew he wanted to leave this summer when they offered him a new 6-year contract. Of course, the journo might have meant this May as in May 2017 and/or it might just be all bulls*t.

Considering he signed the new contract in May 2016 and says in his statement that he's been telling the club he wants to leave for six months, that would potentially cast a bit of a different light on things.

Considering he signed the new contract in May 2016 and says in his statement that he's been telling the club he wants to leave for six months, that would potentially cast a bit of a different light on things.

Yep, that's from the horses mouth. The journo's wording, however, is ambiguous. Chalk it down to being badly written.

Maybe we should select him for the squad on Sat v Swansea and stick him on the bench !

If he refuses, then he is in breach of contract, if he accepts then he is open to the wrath of the fans !

Either way, he is put in an uncomfortable position and IMHO 'hell mend him' !

"You live by the sword, you die by the sword" !

Ps. not sure Pellegrino would go with this option :)

Yep, that's from the horses mouth. The journo's wording, however, is ambiguous. Chalk it down to being badly written.

Difficult to know which it is, but it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that during negotiation of the new contract he might have been quite open about the possibility that he'd still want to leave this summer and that he regarded the increased salary as compensation for helping the club maximise his sale value. The only complicating factor is then the captaincy.

125 pages and we don't really no what goes on behind closed door at Saints. We don't know what or when VVD spoke to the management. We don't know what the management said to VVD with regards to his new contract. We don't even know if our club strategy has changed or not.

A few are posting opinions as fact depending on their agenda. Truth is, not many people actually know what is/was going on. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I normally hate transfer speculation but this story has got my interest this Summer for a few different reasons. For what it’s worth, my thoughts are...

7. Assuming he never pulls on a Saints shirt again, I do fear clean sheets will be a rarity this season which is my main and most tangible worry.

Not sure why you think clean sheets might be a rarity. The facts are last season ... PL games with VvD we played 22 with 8 clean sheets and without him we played 16 with 6 clean sheets. It could be argued the figures were 21.5 with 7.5 vs 16.5 with 6.5 as he came off in the Leicester game shortly after half-time. The figures suggest we should not underestimate the Yoshida and Stevens pairing.

125 pages and we don't really no what goes on behind closed door at Saints. We don't know what or when VVD spoke to the management. We don't know what the management said to VVD with regards to his new contract. We don't even know if our club strategy has changed or not.

A few are posting opinions as fact depending on their agenda. Truth is, not many people actually know what is/was going on. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I think the main fact we all know is that this is mainly down to the agent trying to make himself a few quid !

Not sure why you think clean sheets might be a rarity. The facts are last season ... PL games with VvD we played 22 with 8 clean sheets and without him we played 16 with 6 clean sheets. It could be argued the figures were 21.5 with 7.5 vs 16.5 with 6.5 as he came off in the Leicester game shortly after half-time. The figures suggest we should not underestimate the Yoshida and Stevens pairing.

Sorry, *Stephens*.