Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Agreed. Just. Mark Wright was superb and the best centre half I'd seen in a saints shirt before VVD. Alderweireld was the best since him. In between them, Richards, Svensson and Dave Watson were brilliant.

All of 'em pale in comparison to Benali though.

Agreed. Just. Mark Wright was superb and the best centre half I'd seen in a saints shirt before VVD. Alderweireld was the best since him. In between them, Richards, Svensson and Dave Watson were brilliant.

You are correct, Mark Wright was different gravy.

Can you remind us what happened to him?

Which club did he leave Saints for?

Derby County

:lol:

MLT mugging him in front of the kop is still a highlight of mine - remember Hansen on MOTD that night trying to downplay the goals (didn't he also score a free kick?) and MLT's value and contribution.

Edited by shurlock

You are correct, Mark Wright was different gravy.

Can you remind us what happened to him?

Which club did he leave Saints for?

Last saw him at a Yeovil Town match, he was managing a side in Lg2 and they were bottom and lost their place in the League, but can't remember which team it was---about 5 years ago.

Richard Hall had more potential in his little toe.

Talented lad for sure. Great defender, as was Watson and Svensson. What Alderweireld and VVD (like Wright) have is the ability to defend like a CB should, but also play. Hall would have been brilliant and we'll never know how good he could have been (ditto Richards) but I never saw a great footballer in him, just a very good defender.

You would think so by some of the ridiculous posts this evening!

I have been watching Saints for over 37 years & IMO he is the best central defender I have seen in a Saints shirt.

It doesn't work like that. The sh ite hawk is dead to us and how we cope.

Although will be a few plums saying who wouldn't want to double their wages blah blah. And no doubt someone will even wish him well.

Do most people now agree it would be best for the club to sell him (ideally not to Liverpool) and use the money to strengthen the team with players who want to play for the club?

There is no turning back IMO, his behaviour has made it impossible to reintegrate.

Do most people now agree it would be best for the club to sell him (ideally not to Liverpool) and use the money to strengthen the team with players who want to play for the club?

There is no turning back IMO, his behaviour has made it impossible to reintegrate.

No not really, I'm sure if he buckled down, maybe apologised etc. most people would get behind him if he performed on the pitch.

End of the day if he's here in October/November putting impressive performances most people will have forgotten all this drama, we are fans of the club and if VVD helps the club win games I don't really care.

Plus we don't really need to strengthen that much, we'd obviously need to replace him but after that IMO we are going to be struggling to find players that improve the first team + want to come + we can afford their wages + don't cost us £50-60 million.

Yes. With a heavy heart - I hate employees holding guns to employers heads and I'm worried what message giving in to the little **** sends to other want away players. However, we need to strengthen and don't need a bad apple around the place. Leaving him to rot does us no favours, and neither does attempting to force a reluctant player to reintegrate. On balance I say cash in and move on.

The "let him rot on the sidelines" quote has done the rounds in a few publications today. It is a natural response to his agent's obvious attempt on Monday to burn all bridges and turn the fanbase against VVD, thereby making a stay at Southampton untenable.

I hope it does not come to that. If September 1 rolls along and despite his and his agent's best efforts he is still a Saint, they should try and reintegrate him. He's a ***** and he has been unbelievably disrespectful to the club, but he claims to be a professional and the club and fanbase should try and greet his supposed professionalism with pragmatism. He'll have no need to kick off a fuss until January approaches. It would be completely wasteful if we do a Liverpool (Sakho) and let a valuable player rot in the reserves.

They're properly, truly deluded on that RAWK forum. Just had a quick look at the last couple of pages of their VVD thread, and i've seen someone suggest that if we refuse to accept a bid from Liverpool Van Dijk can take us to court (?) and another suggesting that he is simply an employee of a company and as such should be able to just hand in his notice and leave - mental!

They're properly, truly deluded on that RAWK forum. Just had a quick look at the last couple of pages of their VVD thread, and i've seen someone suggest that if we refuse to accept a bid from Liverpool Van Dijk can take us to court (?) and another suggesting that he is simply an employee of a company and as such should be able to just hand in his notice and leave - mental!

And those are the comments that avoided deletion by their moderators. There's a complete lack of self-awareness over there. If Sakho took Liverpool to court for being frozen out of the first team, they'd lose their nuts.

haha love it! The club and fans united in our trolling of Liverpool and their clueless fans. Best transfer window ever? (if we managed to hold on or sell him to any other club but Pool)

Morning Virgil.

Not going too well, is it? Guess that's because you've still been listening to your grasping @rsehole of an agent instead of the voice of common sense on this esteemed forum.

Pretty obvious now that you're not going to join the blessed Klopp. Your agent so screwed things up the red lot on Merseyside daren't come near you. And Saints won't talk to them anyway.

That transfer request really was a desperate and futile move, wasn't it!

You obviously thought it would alienate Saints so much they'd just want to get rid of you. Well, I think you (or your ***t of an agent) got the alienation right with all the blaming of SFC, when you're the one whingeing and refusing to play matches. But it really shows you up in a bad light.

The trouble is, with Liverpool out of it, Saints are happily planning for the season without you and don't need to sell you, and I'm not really sure anyone else will want to take on a player, who is undoubtedly talented, but isn't match fit with no games for 8 months and hasn't proved himself after injury.

Add to that, the way you're behaving now will make any club think twice, since you'll no doubt do it again a couple of years down the line. And anyone will now be careful about taking on a player with such a sh!t-stirring agent who'll no doubt cause nothing but trouble.

So good luck. Think you'll need it now. I reckon the best plan is sack your agent, grovel to Saints, say sorry to everyone, get on with training and playing like you mean it. And ask nicely if you might have a move next year, when, actually, you'll still owe Saints 4 years. Or hope someone's brave enough to take you on, but it won't be Liverpool or in the terms you're expecting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Morning Virgil.

Not going too well, is it? Guess that's because you've still been listening to your grasping @rsehole of an agent instead of the voice of common sense on this esteemed forum.

Pretty obvious now that you're not going to join the blessed Klopp. Your agent so screwed things up the red lot on Merseyside daren't come near you. And Saints won't talk to them anyway.

That transfer request really was a desperate and futile move, wasn't it!

You obviously thought it would alienate Saints so much they'd just want to get rid of you. Well, I think you (or your ***t of an agent) got the alienation right with all the blaming of SFC, when you're the one whingeing and refusing to play matches. But it really shows you up in a bad light.

The trouble is, with Liverpool out of it, Saints are happily planning for the season without you and don't need to sell you, and I'm not really sure anyone else will want to take on a player, who is undoubtedly talented, but isn't match fit with no games for 8 months and hasn't proved himself after injury.

Add to that, the way you're behaving now will make any club think twice, since you'll no doubt do it again a couple of years down the line. And anyone will now be careful about taking on a player with such a sh!t-stirring agent who'll no doubt cause nothing but trouble.

So good luck. Think you'll need it now. I reckon the best plan is sack your agent, grovel to Saints, say sorry to everyone, get on with training and playing like you mean it. And ask nicely if you might have a move next year, when, actually, you'll still owe Saints 4 years. Or hope someone's brave enough to take you on, but it won't be Liverpool or in the terms you're expecting.

Love it

Can't resist a bit of conspiracy theory.

When Virgil got injured it didn't seem much at the time, but then dragged on and on. It probably was a niggly thing that took ages but it was sad that he wasn't fit in time for the EFL final.

Or is it beyond the bounds of possibility that this was the beginning of the plan to escape? After all, two reasons he'd put forward for leaving would be to win trophies and play in Europe. And if he helped Saints to win a trophy and get into Europe, he might not have been sufficiently disgruntled to want out. The same might have happened if he'd helped Saints to a higher league position. And, of course, that would have delayed his agent's bonus.

Although, if either of those had happened, we'd probably still have Puel. Who apparently was not liked by Mr VD.

Ridiculous, of course, but just wondering.

When Virgil got injured it didn't seem much at the time, but then dragged on and on. It probably was a niggly thing that took ages but it was sad that he wasn't fit in time for the EFL final.

Or is it beyond the bounds of possibility that this was the beginning of the plan to escape? After all, two reasons he'd put forward for leaving would be to win trophies and play in Europe. And if he helped Saints to win a trophy and get into Europe, he might not have been sufficiently disgruntled to want out. The same might have happened if he'd helped Saints to a higher league position. And, of course, that would have delayed his agent's bonus.

Although, if either of those had happened, we'd probably still have Puel. Who apparently was not liked by Mr VD.

I think not

I always thought it strange that he did not do the Captains bit in the programme after being announced as the new captain.

As each day passes, those cunts become more and more worked up that they haven't got him. This will be the greatest transfer window ever if they don't get him. And for all those from RAWK reading, and I know there's plenty, I look forward to your sulking, whinging and self pitying on the matter for months to come.

Well he's sort of right. He can do that. It's just that he has to give 6 years notice (well, 5 and 1/2 now) :lol:

As each day passes, those cunts become more and more worked up that they haven't got him. This will be the greatest transfer window ever if they don't get him. And for all those from RAWK reading, and I know there's plenty, I look forward to your sulking, whinging and self pitying on the matter for months to come.

Plus candlelight vigil for Virgil and charity single from Gerry Marsden - read any post from Saints on social media the clinging t0ss3rs are unreal.

ps

They have been bombarding Le Tiss all week on twitter who either has a brilliant management company or he should be a comedian because he has been tying them in knots.

Edited by Give it to Ron
PS

Well they're not from Liverpool (I assume this as they have the internet and are able to string a sentence together) and support the victims, which would suggest they have no club about football. They probably looked at the table whilst growing up and picked the team that was top.

There's nothing worse than trying to have a conversation, about football, with someone who support 'big clubs' (United, the victims and more recently City and Chelsea) but have no affiliation to said club as you can just tell they do not have a clue what they're talking about.

For me' date=' the big issue is he's forfeited the right to retain his standard VVD nickname. I think we should revert to Barry Gale's name for him: Double VD. That'll learn him.[/quote']

Or just simply Dyck van Dijk (ffs swear filter)

Sensible talk from 'liverpool legend' Steve Nicol..

"Eventually somewhere down the line someone has to say that the good of the club is the most important thing,” Nicol told ESPN.

“When you bring your kids up and they start moaning, you don't just give in because it will make them feel better.