Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Sensible talk from 'liverpool legend' Steve Nicol..

"Eventually somewhere down the line someone has to say that the good of the club is the most important thing,” Nicol told ESPN.

“When you bring your kids up and they start moaning, you don't just give in because it will make them feel better.

Exactly, 100% this. The whole Van Dijk situation reminds me of dealing with my 3 year son. I wonder if Van Dijk also wants Paw Patrol on the TV in the dressing room "but they have Paw Patrol on at Liverpool", "I don't care what they do at Liverpool, you are here and this is what we do"

Sensible talk from 'liverpool legend' Steve Nicol..

"Eventually somewhere down the line someone has to say that the good of the club is the most important thing,” Nicol told ESPN.

“When you bring your kids up and they start moaning, you don't just give in because it will make them feel better.

If I could sell my kids for £60m though I would :-)

So, optimistic best case scenario at the moment - VVD stays, plays, has a good season, gets sold for £70m end of season. If all that happens it will be a big success for the club and I for one will be very happy with the outcome.

I hope he's not booed as that won't achieve anything.

So, optimistic best case scenario at the moment - VVD stays, plays, has a good season, gets sold for £70m end of season. If all that happens it will be a big success for the club and I for one will be very happy with the outcome.

I think the only way he can avoid a negative reaction from fans is to state very publicly that he has been badly advised and made mistakes.

Ideally, he'd also sack his agent, but I can't see that happening.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

100% he will get booed, whatever the outcome.

Need to promise him we will sell him next season for 60m only plus a 20% sell on added to it.

He will need to renew his contract so we can't back out from it.

First up you will get commitment like Morgan did and 2nd, He will be kicking up a fuss to leave for Barcelona in 2 years time for 200m.

Need to promise him we will sell him next season for 60m only plus a 20% sell on added to it.

He will need to renew his contract so we can't back out from it.

First up you will get commitment like Morgan did and 2nd, He will be kicking up a fuss to leave for Barcelona in 2 years time for 200m.

******** to that. We have the leverage, not him. He's not going to throw five years down the drain and once it dawns on him that he's not going anywhere he will mend his bridges. We can't start negotiating new contracts and nonsense like that.

£60m next summer will be well below his value unless he is ****e all season.

I post a blog post relevant to this topic.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/

Enjoyed reading that, thanks. I think a lot of fans should read the part regarding the squad limitations, especially those banging on about ambition and needing to sign players with a complete lack of understanding that the squad is full and players need to be sold first.

just for giggles, not that I really want this outcome, but if he's forced to stay beyond Sept 1st and he's still not in a playing state of mind, I wonder what other creative reasons the club could conjor up to keep the fines coming?

* made to attend all matches, just to see him disguised in a burka attempting to avoid the dogs abuse he'd endure.

Have the dreads cut, must be some sort of appearance code?

Put in some personal appearances in the West quey shop?

(I know this one's not even renotely feasable) Clean Jack Stevens boots.

etc.....

That is a cracking bet! As the days go by, it is less likely we will get rid, we won't have another Fonte situation. Only way it changes is if we have a ready made replacement

Even if it's a view to trade (I don't know if this bet is on Betfair though) With each passing day with no bids accepted the price will drop.

just for giggles, not that I really want this outcome, but if he's forced to stay beyond Sept 1st and he's still not in a playing state of mind, I wonder what other creative reasons the club could conjor up to keep the fines coming?

* made to attend all matches, just to see him disguised in a burka attempting to avoid the dogs abuse he'd endure.

Have the dreads cut, must be some sort of appearance code?

Put in some personal appearances in the West quey shop?

(I know this one's not even renotely feasable) Clean Jack Stevens boots.

etc.....

In all seriousness should he not be made to attend all home first team matches anyway otherwise face a fine. He is an employee of the club after all so its not unreasonable to expect his attendance "at work"

Anyone know how the Neymar to PSG story started? It was by no means the only reason PSG persued him, but it was at least partially motivated by revenge over Barcelona's attempts to sign Verratti. Basically Verratti signed a new 5 year contract last year but wanted to sign for Barcelona this summer, Barcelona's president even publically stated that Verratti wanted to join them. Lost story short, PSG told him to STFU and that he wasn't going anywhere, Verratti scapegoated and sacked his agent and PSG punished Barcelona.

Provides a template of sorts for Van Dijk, doesn't it? If only we could punish them by bringing back Mané...

Anyone know how the Neymar to PSG story started? It was by no means the only reason PSG persued him, but it was at least partially motivated by revenge over Barcelona's attempts to sign Verratti. Basically Verratti signed a new 5 year contract last year but wanted to sign for Barcelona this summer, Barcelona's president even publically stated that Verratti wanted to join them. Lost story short, PSG told him to STFU and that he wasn't going anywhere, Verratti scapegoated and sacked his agent and PSG punished Barcelona.

Provides a template of sorts for Van Dijk, doesn't it? If only we could punish them by bringing back Mané...

do we have to pay him £750,000 a week for the privaledge?

So he's going to become public enemy #1 in Holland. Except that they'll blame Saints for not letting him go.

Who cares - player and agent shouldn't have so flagrantly engaged in illegal approaches with Klopp. VVD's actions have consequences and not necessarily the ones he wanted. Agent won't care, unless he has a contract with the Netherlands FA as well.

I can't answer your question but I can add that I heard Christian Purslow on R5 at the weekend. He was at Liverpool, I believe as MD, as well as later at Chelsea. Asked about Barcelona's pursuit of Suarez, he was critical of Barcelona as being Expert in acquiring settled players. Typically, the interviewer didn't connect Barcelona's methods in acquiring Suarez with Liverpool's in unsettling VVD.

I post a blog post relevant to this topic.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/

May I just say that is one of the most even-handed and sensible things I have ever seen posted on here. Bravo! Couple of little points though - yes other teams do have just as many loony fans as we do :p the problem with relying on an internet forum for opinions is it allows anyone to comment and normally it's those who shout loudest that get heard most and being that - in the majority - they're one's mostly looking just for attention the more reasonable and level-headed posts can often be missed (or people are put off posting altogether). I assure you this is not restricted to just Saints though (or fans - you just need to hear some of the rubbish that comes out of pundits mouths). In other words just take everything written on here with a big grain of salt ;)

Secondly, while I agree that people shouldn't expect any transfers in without outgoings (especially because of squad size limitations) I can still see why people would be frustrated with our transfer dealings as with the increased monies available in the Prem the hope is that we could improve on what we currently have and push on from our current position (generally what people are talking about when they mention the club's 'ambition'). For example in the case of Long - while it's true when you say we are not likely to find someone as good in his price range - especially as third choice striker - there is nothing to say we couldn't sell him and get another starting quality striker in if we wished and just move everyone else down a slot into 2nd and 3rd choice etc... I can see why we wouldn't due to the additional cost of a new striker/ lost revenue from selling Long cheap and the discontent it would cause with the other strikers but i'm saying it is an option that would be open to the club if the increased revenue streams in the Prem allow for it.

Still that's mainly me playing devil's advocate as i'm relatively happy with how we are running things and understand that the business side is important to keeping the club sustainable (and remembering our recent history and struggles I am glad they are doing so) but I can see why others might think differently.

Anyway top post!

I think that once the season starts (and certainly once the transfer window closes) his inability to get his head in the right place to play a match will constitute an unwillingness to fulfil the terms of his contract, and then we can fine him again and again. I don't know any job where you can phone in and say I'm not working today because I'm not up for it.

Unless of course not getting his head right is classified as sickness and therefore he doesn't have to attend work anyway, but can still be paid. He'll feel right at home in Liverpool the way this is going.....

If he stays its a win situation and i will be very proud of the board, all those saying they want players that actually want to play for the club are living in dreamland, if the big clubs come and start tapping up the likes of bertrand boufal romeau etc do u think they will be loyal ? no we will be in the same situation over and over again until we make a stand and now is the time to do that.

we may not be able to compete with the big clubs for wages when signing a player but what we can do is hold on to the ones we have at least until that suits us value wise.

Clubs tap up our players because we find/create good players that they think are good enough for them.

Go ask Crystal Palace, Stoke and even West Ham fans whether they'd like players that the top clubs spend the summer pursuing or whether they want a settled squad of players the top clubs don't rate or want.

So he's going to become public enemy #1 in Holland. Except that they'll blame Saints for not letting him go.

Who cares - player and agent shouldn't have so flagrantly engaged in illegal approaches with Klopp. VVD's actions have consequences and not necessarily the ones he wanted. Agent won't care, unless he has a contract with the Netherlands FA as well.

Could not care less. He has made his bed so has to lie in it. He has been badly advised all along on this one, whilst he may have been training he is no where near match fit and will lucky if he plays a first team fixture (whoever that may be for) for at least another 4-5 weeks. In a World Cup year and with crucial qualifiers coming up he really is running out of time

Interestingly according to RAWK saints are now struggling financially and therefore will have no choice but to sell. Also they seem to suggest we have acted unprofessionally citing the fact that we have accused him of refusing to train and then leaking the fact / fining him for it.

Forgive me if I'm off the pace but did we not tell him to train on his own because he admitted he was unavailable to play because he wasn't he want mentally prepared? Also where have all our financial problem come from, did i miss that too?

These scousers seem to be making shyte up trying to convince themselves that we will sell. Bizarre!

Interestingly according to RAWK saints are now struggling financially and therefore will have no choice but to sell. Also they seem to suggest we have acted unprofessionally citing the fact that we have accused him of refusing to train and then leaking the fact / fining him for it.

Forgive me if I'm off the pace but did we not tell him to train on his own because he admitted he was unavailable to play because he wasn't he want mentally prepared? Also where have all our financial problem come from, did i miss that too?

These scousers seem to be making shyte up trying to convince themselves that we will sell. Bizarre!

Constantly looking at that rubbish is almost as bad as listening to talklop. It's obviously going to be biased and lack any sort of accuracy to the ramblings.

It's simple (like them). They get their info from ill-informed pundits and the gutter press, and believe everything they hear from those sources.

We know he didn't refuse to train, and we never accused him of it. (He conveniently forgot to say that he refused to play) now we are very sound financially. But if Talksport and the Mail say differently, they're obviously right.

Yeh basically they have made all that up. IIRC Pellegrino told him to train alone because he (VVD) wasn't in the right frame of mind or whatever to play and Pellegrino only wanted players that were 100% committed, I think the fine was for him walking out of a contracted media event. There are also reports he refused to play in the friendlies but not sure if that is correct.

There is literally no evidence of us having any financial problems. We've only spent about £20 million on transfers this year between the two players and we sold jay Rod for £12 million so our net spend is only like £8 million which is probably the highest net spend we've had for like 3 years.

Clasping at straws springs to mind, I think they must have thought the transfer request would change things but it hasn't and their club are no closer to signing him. Their board won't bid unless ours ok's it and that is very unlikely whatever VVD wants, and the board seem pretty firm on him not being sold full stop, I reckon only a very high bid from Chelsea or similar would persuade them.

Would love it if Coutinho goes to Barca but VVD stays here.

Edited by tajjuk

The club (to my knowledge) have never accused VVD of refusing to train. Pellegrino has clearly stated that he is training, just away from the first team squad. The two allegations I heard were, after talking to Pellegrino VVD admitted that his mind was not 100%, which came directly from the manager. The allegation that VVD has refused to play in the first team's preseason matches is out there as well, or he said he was not 100% mentally ready to play. I can't remember who made that allegation - Pellegrino I think. If true, then the comments accompanying VVD's transfer request on Monday from his representatives truly are bull****.

Clubs tap up our players because we find/create good players that they think are good enough for them.

Go ask Crystal Palace, Stoke and even West Ham fans whether they'd like players that the top clubs spend the summer pursuing or whether they want a settled squad of players the top clubs don't rate or want.

Nail on head! We have been victims of our own success. We are only in this predicament because we have produced or found so many quality players. I know which club I'd rather be. Long may it continue!

Now he's stuck his oar into this mess by telling Saints they should let VVD go,, I could really care less about **** Advocaat's dilemma.

The point is that VVD's sulk could be about to cost his international career dear unless he has a change of heart. Longer this goes on you may well see Advocaat's stance change as he'll just want to see VVD playing, probably doesn't care where.

The point is that VVD's sulk could be about to cost his international career dear unless he has a change of heart. Longer this goes on you may well see Advocaat's stance change as he'll just want to see VVD playing, probably doesn't care where.

I get the implications concerning VVD's international career - Holland do seem to have some good young options at CB right now and i'm not sure how it will play in Holland if he misses the big game against France because of this mess. Not having a match fit VVD could be very damaging to their already shaky WC prospects.

I just want **** Advocaat to keep his nose out of the club's business, if he plans to attempt some kind of intervention in favour of the player, which he sort of implied yesterday...

I am watching the situation every day. And I will deal with things, if they don’t change.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/holland-boss-****-advocaat-insists-10953236

Edited by Saint Albert
Typo

The club (to my knowledge) have never accused VVD of refusing to train. Pellegrino has clearly stated that he is training, just away from the first team squad. The two allegations I heard were, after talking to Pellegrino VVD admitted that his mind was not 100%, which came directly from the manager. The allegation that VVD has refused to play in the first team's preseason matches is out there as well, or he said he was not 100% mentally ready to play. I can't remember who made that allegation - Pellegrino I think. If true, then the comments accompanying VVD's transfer request on Monday from his representatives truly are bull****.

Spot on. It was Virg not being 100% focused so was told to train on his own. And as a result he would not have been considered to be selected to play and still won't until he gets back to first team/squad training. I'm quite impressed as well as a bit surprised, that the club has not reacted to this with a rebuttal. Would have been easy to do, but would have not led anywhere good. A few of the more objective commentators have picked up on this, but it is few and far between and in general the press don't care about the true nature of events. Look at today's headline. "Rot in the stands". Now the Star trotted that one out, everyone else in the way they do today, copied it and it is not the accepted line of what's up.

By not coming out and reacting to Team Dijk's statement the Board have left them no where else to go. Smart move. As for VVD being ambitious, what more could you do than help your country win one of the two major trophies on offer? By throwing his toys out of the pram and not giving himself a chance to be match fit for his country, he is not showing ambition. He is showing that he is only in it for himself. I don't doubt that he has been led down this path by the tw*ts who advise him, but if he cant see that he is getting very bad advice, more fool him.