Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

A Sensible one from Fruity. They're not all dinlos.

You are pretty much defending the player. What are definite facts is that he signed a long term contract recently and now wants to leave. In any profession I can understand someone wanting to go onto better things, but if he played for us and was doing that I would be calling him a cock. If Coutinho suddenly starts coming out with statements about how "he wants to go to Barca and his head is not in the right place and wants to better his career" blah blah blah, then he would be getting torn apart on here. Southampton want to keep him to his contract. That's fair enough. I would rather he joined us but if they hold him to his contract I think good on them. And I hope we do the same with Coutinho.

There is an unpalatable truth beneath all the posturing that is not being shouted so loudly. This is, simply and briefly, that Liverpool are a selling club. They might not see themselves that way, they might keep denying it and taking encouragement from Jürgen Klopp insisting that no means no, but Liverpool simply have to be a selling club because they have not won a title in over a quarter of a century and are now only occasional participants in the Champions League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/aug/09/liverpool-selling-club-stand-in-coutinho-way-luis-suarez

:lol:

Thanks.

Rudy Kraft, the author of Wondrous Relics.

That's me, although I prefer to think of myself and the author of Griffin Mountain and Snakepipe Hollow.

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2010/07/retrospective-griffin-mountain.html

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12938.phtml

May I just say that is one of the most even-handed and sensible things I have ever seen posted on here. Bravo! Couple of little points though - yes other teams do have just as many loony fans as we do :p the problem with relying on an internet forum for opinions is it allows anyone to comment and normally it's those who shout loudest that get heard most and being that - in the majority - they're one's mostly looking just for attention the more reasonable and level-headed posts can often be missed (or people are put off posting altogether). I assure you this is not restricted to just Saints though (or fans - you just need to hear some of the rubbish that comes out of pundits mouths). In other words just take everything written on here with a big grain of salt ;)

Secondly, while I agree that people shouldn't expect any transfers in without outgoings (especially because of squad size limitations) I can still see why people would be frustrated with our transfer dealings as with the increased monies available in the Prem the hope is that we could improve on what we currently have and push on from our current position (generally what people are talking about when they mention the club's 'ambition'). For example in the case of Long - while it's true when you say we are not likely to find someone as good in his price range - especially as third choice striker - there is nothing to say we couldn't sell him and get another starting quality striker in if we wished and just move everyone else down a slot into 2nd and 3rd choice etc... I can see why we wouldn't due to the additional cost of a new striker/ lost revenue from selling Long cheap and the discontent it would cause with the other strikers but i'm saying it is an option that would be open to the club if the increased revenue streams in the Prem allow for it.

Still that's mainly me playing devil's advocate as i'm relatively happy with how we are running things and understand that the business side is important to keeping the club sustainable (and remembering our recent history and struggles I am glad they are doing so) but I can see why others might think differently.

Anyway top post!

I sort of assumed that the craziness was equally everywhere. Certainly, the small amount of reading I did of Liverpool boards (following links from here mainly) supported that. I do wonder if other clubs hate a rival as much as Southampton and Portsmouth hate each other. I mean, you people hate each other more than I hate the Los Angeles Dodgers and that is not easy.

As for your points about my points about Long, I mostly agree. However, I think there would be a problem with our first two strikers if suddenly they were are second and third striker, especially if we are only going to play one striker at a time. Also, at current prices I don't think we could afford a new best striker unless we sold VVD.

Interestingly according to RAWK saints are now struggling financially and therefore will have no choice but to sell. Also they seem to suggest we have acted unprofessionally citing the fact that we have accused him of refusing to train and then leaking the fact / fining him for it.

Forgive me if I'm off the pace but did we not tell him to train on his own because he admitted he was unavailable to play because he wasn't he want mentally prepared? Also where have all our financial problem come from, did i miss that too?

These scousers seem to be making shyte up trying to convince themselves that we will sell. Bizarre!

The financial problems are probably a confused reference to the tax issues with Markhus Liebherr's estate.

Liverpool fans reading this thread, you should be questioning your club on how they went about trying to obtain VVD via using the media early June. Your clubs sporting director Micheal Edwards knee deep in creating the situation that meant VVD could not be sold. Obviosuly, VVDs agent wasserman are also guilty in unprofessional behaviour, but the buck stops at Edwards and Klopp.

Yes but also some well reasoned arguments and not a little constructive understanding of our position. Not quite sure what upset you so much, they are under no illusions about why things are as they are

I think that the Coutinho situation might have refocused what's what with some. It is easy to get carried away what with us being a smaller club are ripe for picking etc etc, but when they find that they are the smaller club ripe for picking. Maybe that is unfair and that there has been reasoned argument throughout, but I'm certainly not going to wade through another club's forum, and a thread with 200 odd pages, to find out.

All clubs have good and bad. Proportionately it is probably similar whichever club you are, but the fact the LFC have a much bigger fan base means that numerically, they have a higher number of bad ones than we do.

Also what a ridiculous forum that RAWK is, they're not allowed to talk about Coutinho on any threads. Burying their heads with Nazi moderation.

It's a strange place, the mods are very respectful to other teams and often shoot down overboard comments (unlike here).

However, they lock the place down after a loss or when a player is leaving etc.

Some of the posters are quite good to be fair as well.

I think that once the season starts (and certainly once the transfer window closes) his inability to get his head in the right place to play a match will constitute an unwillingness to fulfil the terms of his contract, and then we can fine him again and again. I don't know any job where you can phone in and say I'm not working today because I'm not up for it.

Unless of course not getting his head right is classified as sickness and therefore he doesn't have to attend work anyway, but can still be paid. He'll feel right at home in Liverpool the way this is going.....

I fear he'll do a Pahars, and/or get a red card every game he plays.

I fear he'll do a Pahars, and/or get a red card every game he plays.

please don't mention Pahars in the same vein as this ****. Pahars loved Southampton, still does. If you don't believe us find his final lap of honour at St Mary's after Burley got rid of him. The guy was in bits at saying goodbye.

Meltdown

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For those not on Twitter Coutinho wants out so if we keep saying no....

I imagine that Coutinho will slowly escalate things. He wants to appear like a nice guy to the Liverpool supporters at first, but it would not surprise me if he eventually goes full VVD on them to get his move.

But to be fair, some surprisingly sensible ones as well.

I didn't read ahead. This point has been well made.

Yep, I probably read more sensible posts than stupid ones, but the stupid ones stand out and get to you. A bit like life in general I guess.

Blinkered fans are one thing, but half expected, it's the constant barrage from partisan media I can't stand. Not just Liverpool fans either - people like Ian Wright chiming in with ill-thought out opinions. (Though when did Wright have an opinion that was anything but that...?)

please don't mention Pahars in the same vein as this ****. Pahars loved Southampton, still does. If you don't believe us find his final lap of honour at St Mary's after Burley got rid of him. The guy was in bits at saying goodbye.

I liked him too, at the beginning. We'll never know the true extent of his injuries, but WGS was puzzled about it. I also remember he (MP) declaring himself "fit" for the FA Cup final, after being out for God knows how long (before and after).

Just thinking, and it's probably been mentioned already, but in any other working environment/employment surely VVD would have been sacked by now. I know that's not an option with "professional" footballers but it is food for thought.

I might try this tomorrow morning when i clock in at 8am......

"Boss, I want to leave this job and I won't do another days work until you negotiate me a better position with another company on more money for doing exactly the same role"

Wish me luck.......

Just thinking, and it's probably been mentioned already, but in any other working environment/employment surely VVD would have been sacked by now. I know that's not an option with "professional" footballers but it is food for thought.

WTF? Why would we sack a £75 million asset that would give him exactly what he wants and the choice of clubs he could sign for and pocket a massive signing on fee.

I hope you have been drinking, because that is plain stupid.

WTF? Why would we sack a £75 million asset that would give him exactly what he wants and the choice of clubs he could sign for and pocket a massive signing on fee.

Talking of stupid

Im pretty sure you completely missed the point of his post

oh dear. can someone please explain it to him/her

I might try this tomorrow morning when i clock in at 8am......

"Boss, I want to leave this job and I won't do another days work until you negotiate me a better position with another company on more money for doing exactly the same role"

Wish me luck.......

It has but you are bang on. The comparison to the regular employment situations of ordinary working stiffs like us that some make (especially Liverpool supporters) is a complete fallacy.

On RAWK

"Secondly, Barca can **** themselves with their constant leaks to their local press. It's a constant feature of their negotiation style and if the footballing hierarchy is to be changed, then it's time clubs with financial muscle stood up to them."

LOL.

On RAWK

"Secondly, Barca can **** themselves with their constant leaks to their local press. It's a constant feature of their negotiation style and if the footballing hierarchy is to be changed, then it's time clubs with financial muscle stood up to them."

LOL.

Dear RAWKers, seriously? :lol:

On RAWK

LOL.

:lol: :lol:

On RAWK

LOL.

Self-awareness isn't their strong suit, is it? [emoji57][emoji57]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/liverpool-hold-power-in-coutinho-saga-says-former-reds-boss-brendan-rodgers_sto6283483/story.shtml

Brendan Rodgers: "Philippe Coutinho is a world-class player but the power in the position is with Liverpool. Phil has signed a new contract. He's always going to have other clubs that want him. But Liverpool don't have to sell him if they don't want to. So the power is very much with them."

A bit like Saints and van Dijk then...

Edited by trousers

On RAWK

LOL.

Ha! I had literally just copied that exact line and was about to paste it here when I saw your post! I mean, the whole thread is pretty hypocritical, but that bit in particular...

One depressing thought, if Coutinho is worth more than £90m, how much is Mane worth?

V D was in the party that went to Austria where we were told he was held back from some activities for medical reasons but that he did participate in 80% of training activities. It was said he was not able to play in the St Gallen friendly because full foot contact was still to be avoided but we know he did take part in training matches in Austria because he is pictured playing. After the return to Southampton and before the second training camp a week later, the Sulk had begun. If that is because he was told Liverpool still wanted to sign him despite their statement to the contrary, that could indicate a further illegal approach. He wasn't taken to the training camp in France a week later because by then he 'wasn't in the right frame of mind', which might suggest that something had occurred. The agent-written letter with the transfer request attempts to cover that up by referring to "interest from top clubs should it still exist" intended to indicate that he didn't know if Liverpool still wanted him. He should, of course, believe they don't want him because that is what they said in their statement. The club will obviously respond to the transfer request but may simply reiterate what they have already said. We shouldn't assume that their will be a running commentary on any discussions so as fans, we may have to be patient, perhaps until 1st September because passing that date, if nothing changes, will put the player under more pressure and by then he may also have lost his place in the Holland squad.

I'd laugh if they signed a better left back and didn't let him leave

Like who? Can't be many better LBs out there than Rose. Although probably some with fewer injury problems.

There are quite a few things in that article that sound a bit like "come and get me" pleas to City & United.

Wait......

There is one sensible Liverpool fan look, who is self aware -

Southampton have always said he isn't for sale. Van Dijk signed a new six year contract.

It's the same situation with Coutinho, but you say there is no doubt Coutinho will stay and van Dijk was always up for sale.

You're just believing what you want to believe.

but most of the morons are disagreeing with him -

Nar... we are Liverpool, challenging for titles and champions league etc... Southampton are mid table side at best... it's a marked difference

LMAO finishing 7th, 6th and 8th is 'Challenging for the title now', guys we've had it all wrong, we have been challenging for the title all this time with our top 8 finishes.

This comment is also a classic -

I hope they get neither and finish 5th in la liga. Other than Messi, Suarez and Busquets that team is absolutely ****.

LMAO. Pretty much all the Barca team would walk into the Liverpool one.

Edited by tajjuk