Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Just came back from evening with matt le tiss. He's obviously very close to club.

-Liverpool sent a message to wrong person, that's how they got found out. Said no way after their apology and that error we will let him go there. Said he thinks he will stay as won't want to not play for a year before World Cup and have to apologise to everyone. Says agent the same one Koeman got before he left the problem.

-last week vvd said he wanted to be reintegrated into training but refused to play matches so that he could put in his statement that he didn't refuse to train. Terrible. Says club making him train at different times to players and different changing rooms. Matty agrees with club stance.

-says club looking to sign two more players.

-kat is going to sell 80% of club apparently. Said he knows she wouldn't sell to anyone to harm it and very confident about future.

thanks for that. Did he expand on the Liverpool sent a message to the wrong person bit ? I'm intrigued by that.

It would be good if we held firm until the window closes then go public with whatever we've got on Liverpool (assuming we do have stuff).

I think the club's current stance of keeping largely quiet whilst the window is open (because we can't control all the variables, however resolute we are) is the correct one.

There has been a lot said on all sides so far, some true, some less true. clearly, VVD has made some mistakes and is a **** of the highest order. HOWEVER, some things are more important than football, and I think we have to unite in our prayers for Virgil, put our differences aside, and hope to god that he recovers from what sounds like a nasty virus. He is still human, and we should treat him with some respect and pray for his life as I'm sure his family must also be doing right now.

my thoughts and prayers are with him.

VVD has genuinely had a virus this week. Of course though, we all know that's not the reason he's not playing. I think MP's response was intended to be 'no he's not available for the squad tomorrow because of the ongoing transfer situation but regardless of that he's had a virus so he hasn't trained this week anyway'.

Just came back from evening with matt le tiss. He's obviously very close to club.

-Liverpool sent a message to wrong person, that's how they got found out. Said no way after their apology and that error we will let him go there. Said he thinks he will stay as won't want to not play for a year before World Cup and have to apologise to everyone. Says agent the same one Koeman got before he left the problem.

-last week vvd said he wanted to be reintegrated into training but refused to play matches so that he could put in his statement that he didn't refuse to train. Terrible. Says club making him train at different times to players and different changing rooms. Matty agrees with club stance.

-says club looking to sign two more players.

-kat is going to sell 80% of club apparently. Said he knows she wouldn't sell to anyone to harm it and very confident about future.

Cheers - Good update

Just goes on to show what an absolute shower Liverpool are... They can't even tap somebody up properly without dropping a bollock :lol:

VVD has genuinely had a virus this week. Of course though, we all know that's not the reason he's not playing. I think MP's response was intended to be 'no he's not available for the squad tomorrow because of the ongoing transfer situation but regardless of that he's had a virus so he hasn't trained this week anyway'.

Any updates on incoming

To be fair, MP was asked if he had been training with the first team which is when he said he has had a virus the last 2 days and so has not been training. I dont think he ever actually said he was not playing because of the virus. Cant imagine anyone thought he might play tomorrow.

To be fair, MP was asked if he had been training with the first team which is when he said he has had a virus the last 2 days and so has not been training. I dont think he ever actually said he was not playing because of the virus. Cant imagine anyone thought he might play tomorrow.
This. Hasn't played since January. Probably not 100% match fit until end of September imo

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

If Les and the board are serious about not selling him they should put out a similar statement to the one FSG did this morning re Coutinho

The scousers are all in denial though, despite multiple media outlets saying Coutinho wants the move they're still saying he doesn't and its all lies.

Funnily enough the same media were reporting he was happy at Liverpool and wanted to stay last year but back then they were all telling the truth ?????

Coutinho out with a 'back injury'. Lol.

Vvd ends up staying and Coutinho leaving. Now that would be funny.

Back injuries are so hard to check as well, he could have a back injury until January. VVD will start limping soon, as I said yesterday, it will test the clubs nerve, if it seems he is going to have a reoccurrence of the injury

Imagine if players were able to resign like managers can, even though both have a contract.

I assume that if it came to it the player could negotiate to buy himself out of his contract? Would be a fair payout from them to the club. Any precedent for that?

It's not so much the contract, it's more that we own the players registration for the next 5 years. He could walk out and never come back, we can't keep him prisoner, but he wouldn't be able to play professionally for anyone else.

Back injuries are so hard to check as well, he could have a back injury until January. VVD will start limping soon, as I said yesterday, it will test the clubs nerve, if it seems he is going to have a reoccurrence of the injury

Not really. If he stays, he plays, he will get sold next summer. If he pulls the 'wounded plover' trick, then the club just say, now it's the year after. All the power is with Saints at this moment. imo.

Good post on F365 today: http://www.football365.com/news/mails-does-coutinho-to-barcelona-actually-make-any-sense

‘If he wants to go there is nothing you can do.’

This opinion is really starting to grate with me. I am a Liverpool fan and we are currently in the middle of 3 reasonably complex transfer negotiations. Firstly we have Phil Coutinho who apparently wants to play for Barcelona but has the small issue of a recently started 5 year contract, then there’s Virgil Van Dijk who wants to join Liverpool but is one year through a 6 year contract with Southampton and Naby Keita who also wants to join but is at the start of his 5 year contract with RB Leipzig.

Firstly and to ensure there is no confusion, Liverpool, Southampton and RB Leipzig can refuse to sell. End of story. The player might complain in the media, he might go on strike, (and subsequently be docked the appropriate weeks wages) he might put in a transfer request or he might quietly talk to the club and express his wish, should a suitable deal be agreed, to leave, ultimately this doesn’t change the fact it’s the clubs decision to make. The player signed a contract and without going through an unthinkable and insanely expensive litigation process (which will rob the player of years of his career) would be expected to remain employed to the culmination of that deal.

This concept is not new, yet in the last 12/18 months there has been a subtle but significant shift in the balance between having money to spend compared to having talent already within the squad. Take Roman Abromivich’s real-world Football Manager experiment that started in 2003; that first summer he signed 11 players for a total of £121.3m. This included Makelele and Geremi from Real Madrid, Veron from Man Utd, Crespo from Inter and somehow Scott Parker from the colossal Charlton. Their record purchase that summer was Damien Duff for £17m from Blackburn.

All of these clubs from big to small looked at the millions of pounds being offered and felt their best option was to take the money. Cash in the bank could be reinvested; if the offer was paying over the odds, it was better to take the premium and look to upgrade with the increased funds.

However, this balance has moved. With an entire league of clubs flush with cash due to TV billions, commercial clamour for involvement swelling coffers further, super-rich foreign owners proliferate throughout Europe and lucrative new markets opening up in the East, many clubs around Europe have significant sums to spend should they find the appropriate talent available. However finding that talent is now the limiting factor. Having £100m to spend is all well and good but teams are struggling to find the requisite players to spend it on. And with this shifting attitude comes a change in the power structure within the player / club relationship. Where once a player could push for a transfer and the club would take any premium over the player’s expected value rather than having to deal with an unhappy player, now clubs cannot see value in selling a player even with a considerable premium, if there is not going to be guaranteed opportunity to reinvest, attaining relative parity to where they were before the original sale.

Currently there is considerably more incentive for the club to sit back and wait for the transfer window to slam shut and test the players resolve. If it’s Virgil Van Dijk telling the club he doesn’t feel able to play while not getting the requested transfer, how long after 1st September is he going to hold out when he has 5 years remaining on his contract, is 12 months away from a World Cup and is threatened with being docked every weeks wage sat in the stands?

Interestingly, agents seem to have been slow on the uptake; the logical transition for players within this environment would be for them to push for reduced length contracts (perhaps at some reduction in remuneration). Having 3 year terms increases the likelihood a player who becomes disillusioned with a club, will sit in the reserves for a season or even 2 allowing them to leave for free at the end of the contract. This option provides leverage for a player to push through a transfer. Yet 3 year terms are still a rarity for players under 30. Although expect this to change for those under 25 who believe they could further their careers instead of push for better terms and longer contracts. This balance is not necessarily here for the long run. I, like most people, think football has peaked in ever escalating tv revenues and the next package will be the first at a lower value than its predecessor but that’s a email for another time…

Anyway, my point was that a player wanting to leave doesn’t just get his wish whatever, and anyone saying otherwise is wrong. And for the record my belief is that all 3 of those players will still be at their respective clubs on 1st September, although I would be happy if VVD proved me wrong.

There is also following article on the subject: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/neymar-psg-transfer-naby-keita-alexis-sanchez-virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-arsenal-manchester-city-a7875636.html

Will be interesting to see what the fallout will be from clubs starting to take a hardline stance on holding players to their contract and calling players and their agents' bluff to see if "player power" really is all that powerful as they and the media would have us believe.

Imagine if players were able to resign like managers can, even though both have a contract.

The situation is no different. That's why Managers generally leave by "mutual consent" - the club is within their right to refuse any resignation. But because there's no real transfer value in managers (although compensation deals seem to be increasing) they usually just accept the resignation and let them go.

The situation is no different. That's why Managers generally leave by "mutual consent" - the club is within their right to refuse any resignation. But because there's no real transfer value in managers (although compensation deals seem to be increasing) they usually just accept the resignation and let them go.

When Mike Ashley let Alan Pardew move to Palace, and received a considerable compensation payment from them, he described it as a transfer (and no doubt then threw up in a fireplace for a laugh!).

-Liverpool sent a message to wrong person, that's how they got found out.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is true that's exactly how Koeman got caught. Club strang him along for quite a while.

Allegedly. Libel LOL. So yeah...allegedly. But almost positively true.

Also last I got on the sale was the sale to Lander is now almost dead in the water and that it's true they are having issues getting the money out of the country and for that reason kats team thinks they are too dodgy.

Bit she still wants to sell.

I disagree. I think our silence on the matter shows more strength. IMHO of course.

I agree with you. Reacting every time something comes out in the media shows a willingness to get involved in games. At best we retort through trusted media sources by simply saying our stance has not changed and that is that. Whether or not it has changed privately it doesn't make sense to publicly state so either.

For what it is worth I think losing Coutinho gives Liverpool the financial muscle to make us an offer for VVD that would test our resolve, but that is just pure speculation on my part. However, if the fact they get him is because they lost their best player it somewhat contradicts the reasons VVD wants to leave (well, the public ones - privately the reason is to triple his salary or whatever it is).