Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

If we sell for under £90m we've been taken for mugs as with Mane. Also the market has blown bigtime, wasn't Pogba £90m a year ago? That makes 90 realistic for VVD but I actually hope we keep him to his contract, otherwise we are just encouraging unprofessional conduct--and having to eat our 'not for sale' words again.

The dippers are still holding onto the "he only wants to play for us" line , I think they are seriously underestimating the agents roll in all this if it's a choice between staying "because his heart is set on Klopp" (and the agent not getting his payday) and going to any other club that meets our valuation Vvd will obviously be convinced to go there !

If we sell for under £90m we've been taken for mugs as with Mane. Also the market has blown bigtime, wasn't Pogba £90m a year ago? That makes 90 realistic for VVD but I actually hope we keep him to his contract, otherwise we are just encouraging unprofessional conduct--and having to eat our 'not for sale' words again.

Don't be daft. If we get 60 mill that will be a world record fee for a defender. I'd take that if the club decided to accept. My preference though is still to keep him until Xmas at least - to make the point.

I really do think that some of our supporters are way over valuing v Dijk. While I admit that there is a paucity of good CBs and vD is hugely in demand, just because one or two transfers are ridiculously over valued (aren't they all?) doesn't mean that they all will be.

We're not going to get ninety million pounds FFS.

I really do think that some of our supporters are way over valuing v Dijk. While I admit that there is a paucity of good CBs and vD is hugely in demand, just because one or two transfers are ridiculously over valued (aren't they all?) doesn't mean that they all will be.

Your last sentence really makes no sense at all

Don't be daft. If we get 60 mill that will be a world record fee for a defender. I'd take that if the club decided to accept. My preference though is still to keep him until Xmas at least - to make the point.

I reckon £60 million+ is about right in what we'll get, as you say it's a world record for a defender (although probably not for long), but under that will be poor considering the stance we've taken, even if it's "with add ons". I do believe we won't sell to Liverpool (which would be unanimously welcomed by Saints fans) but I would be very surprised if he's still here in September. If he does still happen to be here, IMO we can't take the risk as to whether he'll buckle down or not - either way we need to be bringing in a centre back.

I'm liking signings that 'unite' the fan base - we've had that with Gabbiadini and Lemina this year for the most part (less so with the unknown Bednarek), so i hope we can find a centre back we can all get behind. Reading comments on here, that seems to be Hoedt over Wimmer.

Will be blunt. I am not sure there is much between VVD's current ability, and where stephens will be at the end of the season. VVD is a fantastic footballer and a giant of a man who is superb physically but sometimes lacks intelligence. Stephens is a classy defender who is only getting better and better with each game I watch him. He's not VVD yet, but I can see him being very good.

Will be blunt. I am not sure there is much between VVD's current ability, and where stephens will be at the end of the season.

Think you have been hit with a blunt instrument. VVD miles better than Stephens will ever be (no slight on JS).

Will be blunt. I am not sure there is much between VVD's current ability, and where stephens will be at the end of the season. VVD is a fantastic footballer and a giant of a man who is superb physically but sometimes lacks intelligence. Stephens is a classy defender who is only getting better and better with each game I watch him. He's not VVD yet, but I can see him being very good.

It's ok Les, you can sell him as long as it's not Liverpool.

No, no and no. My feeling is Stephens is a rapidly improving young CB, not far behind other highly rated English CBs like Stones and Gibson. But our Dutch wantaway is different class - and doesn't lack Footballing intelligence.

Barcelona lost to Real tonight 1-3, knowing how trigger happy they are in Spain, if they get beaten soundly in the second leg on Wednesday the phone could be ringing on merseyside then in Hampshire.

............. just a whimsical musing.

As an aside Ronaldo getting sent off was funny, if he stood a chance of getting the second yellow riscinded (the first was for getting his muscles out) he blew it by pushing the ref in the back after being shown the red.

Still find it astonishing that people still think VVD may end up at Liverpool.

I find it astonishing that people think that we won't take Liverpool's money if they come in with a bid that's much higher than the next best bid.

But they have publicly said that because of the tapping up, that they will not be pursuing the player.

That's not my point. If they offer significantly more than anyone else we'll take their money. Principles will disappear if there's another £5m on the table.

That's not my point. If they offer significantly more than anyone else we'll take their money. Principles will disappear if there's another £5m on the table.

I don't think this is correct. Usually, yes. This time, no. He won't go to Liverpool. We've staked too much on that.

Barcelona lost to Real tonight 1-3, knowing how trigger happy they are in Spain, if they get beaten soundly in the second leg on Wednesday the phone could be ringing on merseyside then in Hampshire.

As an aside Ronaldo getting sent off was funny, if he stood a chance of getting the second yellow riscinded (the first was for getting his muscles out) he blew it by pushing the ref in the back after being shown the red.

Ronaldo made the most of the minimal contact but Suarez's dive was worse.

If we sell to Barcelona we should insist upon a buy back clause.

The value of a player is what a club is prepared to pay for them and what the selling club is prepared to accept, it's as simple as that. All this guff in the media about Virgil "valued at £50/60 million" is absolute rubbish, put about by the glory club supporting media in an attempt to reduce the amount that Southampton will accept. So it would be a world record fee for a defender. So what? We could never afford to buy a player at that price and we have one in our squad, so we will be very happy to keep him if we can get him to play after the 1st September. His value will continue to head north if he puts in the effort that he ought to if he wants to make himself attractive to bigger clubs than Scousehampton in January, or next summer.

The Star had a headline yesterday that the deal will be done soon because....... Shay Given thought it would be good and that vD is desperate to sign.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/637043/Virgil-van-Dijk-Southampton-Liverpool-transfer-news-gossip

In all this, it shows how pathetic the press really are. Their raison d'etre is to report news, not create it.

I don't watch BT Sport... Are they LFC sycophants as well?

I think it is easier to pick out who isn't, there are so few of them. MLT being one

also, Joey Barton was quite open when he said he doesn't get the hype around Klopp. He was of course, shot down by his fellow presenters and told Klopp is amazing

Edited by Batman

I think it is easier to pick out who isn't, there are so few of them. MLT being one

also, Joey Barton was quite open when he said he doesn't get the hype around Klopp. He was of course, shot down by his fellow presenters and told Klopp is amazing

Barton is a good pundit to be fair.

He called Klopp a German cheerleader. :lol:

The value of a player is what a club is prepared to pay for them and what the selling club is prepared to accept, it's as simple as that. All this guff in the media about Virgil "valued at £50/60 million" is absolute rubbish, put about by the glory club supporting media in an attempt to reduce the amount that Southampton will accept. So it would be a world record fee for a defender. So what? We could never afford to buy a player at that price and we have one in our squad, so we will be very happy to keep him if we can get him to play after the 1st September. His value will continue to head north if he puts in the effort that he ought to if he wants to make himself attractive to bigger clubs than Scousehampton in January, or next summer.

Spot on !!!

Don't know why more people can't see this.

That's... odd. I mean, I know The Express is basically a red top, but even so...

Also, it's possibly copyright infringement, unless they had permission to use content from this site.

According to Danny Murphy, Countinho should think twice about leaving Liverpool as Klopp really looks after his players and is a special manager.

When asked if VvD will go to Liverpool, he said almost certainly. All parties wanted the deal done but southampton are now just getting a little greedy and want more money

According to Danny Murphy, Countinho should think twice about leaving Liverpool as Klopp really looks after his players and is a special manager.

When asked if VvD will go to Liverpool, he said almost certainly. All parties wanted the deal done but southampton are now just getting a little greedy and want more money

The Liverpool bias in the media is really cringe. They don't know what they're on about half the time.

It's our prerogative to be as "greedy" as we f*ckin' like :thumbup: HTH, Danny.

That's... odd. I mean, I know The Express is basically a red top, but even so...

Also, it's possibly copyright infringement, unless they had permission to use content from this site.

Erm. How is stuff posted on here copywrit/ed? One, this is essentially a gossip/opinion site so it would be hard to class any of it as intellectual property; secondly it's been attributed to someone: 'a fan' even though it is possibly and probably a valid recollection of what did occur; thirdly it's what now passes for 'the media' aka 'the press' (as was) so it's all 'Sky sources' and nothing of any real substance (for which you'd probably need only 3 journalists for the whole country).

It does show, however, that this site has now become a place where 'journalists' or their gophers will frequent, which we probably all knew anyway, and that Glasgow probably works for The Sun.