Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I think that's more or less that.

The 'not definite' is probably down to the fact that at the start of this window you could have safely said that Neymar is definitely not for sale... it's very slightly possible an insane offer that we literally can't ignore comes in from someone other than Liverpool.

Two things sprang to mind when I read that:

1. It still leaves a window open to sell if the right offer comes in

2. Saints would be stupid to communicate they are selling van d-ick before buying his replacement, for obvious reasons

I like the statement and trust at the moment it's Saints intention not to sell

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-target-virgil-van-dijk-not-sale-southampton-chairman-ralph-krueger-a7896866.html

Krueger: "The new partnership has completely and wholly backed our strategy and plan and on September 1 people will see how serious we were and are."

Wow. Strong stuff.

Change of direction? We're a stepping stome club, but now we only let players go when it is right for us?

They are the figures I saw quoted when Everton were sniffing earlier in the window, would doubt if it's gone down since then...! He signed a new deal recently.

Crikey. Then again, last time I saw him linked away was last season & the fee was £10m, so with this season's inflation, £35m is probably right :)

TBF, he would be upwards of £35m apparently.

Wouldn't surprise me. There are more Premier League clubs than just us suddenly enjoying 'we don't need the money'.

£12M for Long looks like an absolute bargain now! We're probably still paying instalments on him...

The playing field in financial terms in the Prem is definitely becoming more level. I'm sat here expecting us to turn down a world record fee for a defender. Even as I type that it seems a little bit insane.

Wouldn't surprise me. There are more Premier League clubs than just us suddenly enjoying 'we don't need the money'.

£12M for Long looks like an absolute bargain now! We're probably still paying instalments on him...

The playing field in financial terms in the Prem is definitely becoming more level. I'm sat here expecting us to turn down a world record fee for a defender. Even as I type that it seems a little bit insane.

And in this window of craziness, what we paid for Lemina also seems an incredible steal.

We still do it the right way.....

And in this window of craziness, what we paid for Lemina also seems an incredible steal.

We still do it the right way.....

does it?

remember when Ramirez was going to tear this league up!!

lets wait a couple of week to see if he is any good.....I think he will be

we might actually want to see him play a few times before we make that assumption he might turn into another Clasie or Hoj..

I think it is two soon to give up on "Hoj" especially given his age. And with the current prices, he may be a steal even if you are right.

Ralphy interview

Want to make a statement about the importance about holding your core

we have to do this to try and reach the next level

this summer was always about consolidation and continuity

we have had the same message all summer

1 player out in Rodriguez and that was agreed with both parties (us and him)

we are not done with transfers in

this is a big statement and Virgil is just a part of the plan

we will see on 1 Sept

It is quite clear that we will not sell this window

we have said it many times and will continue to say it until the window closes

we look for the potential in each player

the strength of contract put us in this position

we will stay strong through this window

Two things sprang to mind when I read that:

1. It still leaves a window open to sell if the right offer comes in

2. Saints would be stupid to communicate they are selling van d-ick before buying his replacement, for obvious reasons

I like the statement and trust at the moment it's Saints intention not to sell

Yes, I agree. I think what the statement does is make it crystal clear that anyone who wants to buy Van Dijk in this window has to pay seriously big money and that we have no intention of selling unless that happens. There will be no reduction in what we will accept because of Van Dijk's antics.

I also think this probably means we will go ahead and buy another central defender anyway (e.g Hoedt) irrespective of whether Van Dijk goes. This is sensible if we have the money available because it means we should get a better deal than if we wait until any Van Dijk deal goes through, but does make me wonder who we will sell/loan out if we do end up keeping VVD, as we will be overloaded with centre backs! Presume Gardos will be off somewhere, but we might also loan Bednarek out as he will surely slip out of contention for 1st team? Unless something is in the offing with Yoshida.

Yes, I agree. I think what the statement does is make it crystal clear that anyone who wants to buy Van Dijk in this window has to pay seriously big money and that we have no intention of selling unless that happens.

No. It makes it crystal clear he will not be sold. I don't see how you can get your interpretation from the actual words of Ralph.

No. It makes it crystal clear he will not be sold. I don't see how you can get your interpretation from the actual words of Ralph.
He's probably referring to the last two paragraphs in the Echo's account of the interview:

Krueger was asked whether Saints would even turn down a ludicrous offer if one came in and replied: “I will tell you one thing - over the years we have spoken I don't give definite answers where there isn't a definite.

“With all the knowledge I have today and all the information I have on my plate right now my answer is we are carrying our strategy through the summer and that's it.

people refuse to take a statement at face value unfortunately. The fact Ralph will look a prize cock if we sell him now has escaped the attention as he could have kept quiet for two more weeks instead of repeating what the club have said since May.

He is probably sick and tired of the nauseating speculation, desperately fuelled by the ex Liverpool FC pundits and probably orchestrated in the background by the desperation of Saints firstly not dealing with them and sticking to the original statement that VVD will not be allowed to leave.

Not sure how to take this but in case you was actually being serious you do realise vvd hasn't played a single minute since getting injured in January (8 months ago)?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

And still isn't sctuslly training with the team. I'm sure he hasn't read what Krueger said and given up his idea of forcing a move.

Wouldn't see him til late Sept IMO if he stays.

And still isn't sctuslly training with the team. I'm sure he hasn't read what Krueger said and given up his idea of forcing a move.

Wouldn't see him til late Sept IMO if he stays.

Morgan didn't train with the team most of the pre-season in which he lost his head, then he was straight in on the first day.

If he accepts it, he'll be back for Huddersfield.

I see Peachey has been tweeting that Krueger is saying that by not selling players we want to keep, we are making a statement to move to a different position in the pecking order. Moving from being a club that sells to being a club that wants to get the best out of the players by keeping them.

Up to now although Krueger has been saying this since May and Reed went on Sky saying the same thing, everybody thinks we are a bolted on seller. This is a strategy to put us in the 'it doesn't matter what the agent or the player says we are not selling'. In future if we say it, we are more likely to be believed. I wouldn't mind betting that Chelsea and Man City believed Saints so haven't bid, but Liverpool were too arrogant and presumed too much. As Liverpool have been the most troublesome over the years it had to come.

Edited by derry

Morgan didn't train with the team most of the pre-season in which he lost his head, then he was straight in on the first day.

If he accepts it, he'll be back for Huddersfield.

Even if he accepts it, and I don't think he will until 12.01am on 1 September there is no way he will feature until mid to late September by the time he's had a couple of behind closed doors games and more importantly he's got his head back to somewhere near Southampton.

I have transcribed Ralph Krueger's solent radio interview. It is quite short and obviously not the entire interview which I could not find to transcribe. If anyone can direct me to it, I will transcribe it.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/

http://redsloscf.blogspot.co.uk/

Isn't your secretary extra busy with all the work you have? Or have you now hired another? ... .

I won't put in an emoticon as with you it won't be necessary.

we might actually want to see him play a few times before we make that assumption he might turn into another Clasie or Hoj..

Unfair on Hoj. He isn't bad and will get better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk