Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

For 60m I'll snap their hands off. That's an insane amount of money.

Hate to say it but I agree. £60 million is a cracking amount of money. He'll be tough to replace but it's not impossible, and that is 2x£30 million signings to improve the team or 3x£20 million signings.

(Blindly ignoring the fact we'll probably spend about £10 million of that and bank the rest...)

Hate to say it but I agree. £60 million is a cracking amount of money. He'll be tough to replace but it's not impossible, and that is 2x£30 million signings to improve the team or 3x£20 million signings.

(Blindly ignoring the fact we'll probably spend about £10 million of that and bank the rest...)

I was just about to respond until I saw your point in brackets! If we don't spend the money then the figure is largely meaningless for the fans.

Don't want him to go, but if the auction between Citeh and Chelsea takes the bids north of £50-60M and if the player is being offered crazy wages, I think we have to be pragmatic and accept it's best for all/most parties to let him go now.

But yes, we have to be prepared to spend a lot of that on a comparable CB

Why do we have to sell him now? Why can't we say no?

If we wanted to buy 2 players at £20/30m we could - we dont need to sell VVD (our best player) first?

How about using some of the 100-150m we recieve each year just for being in the premier league?

Perhaps use some of the money we received from being in Europe this season?

Or we could spend some of the £230m we've received in transfer fees over the last 3 summers?

If we wanted to buy 2 players at £20/30m we could - we dont need to sell VVD (our best player) first?

How about using some of the 100-150m we recieve each year just for being in the premier league?

Or we could spend some of the £230m we've received in transfer fees over the last 3 summers?

This. I cannot believe fans think it a good idea to cash in on any of our players just to add to the stash of cash amassed in a Swiss bank account.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4098234/Manchester-United-tell-Everton-pay-20m-Morgan-Schneiderlin.html

According to Rob Draper Everton believe VVD coukd be persuaded to sign for them, but that its more realistic in the summer.

So they are struggling to pay £20m for Morgan but will pay £50m for VVD?? Ok that makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's your source on the £100-£150million from the Prem?

Also, we have spent the £230million we've received. Since 2013 we've spent a net total of £1million. Which means we've spent more than we've brought in.

Where's your source on the £100-£150million from the Prem?

Also, we have spent the £230million we've received. Since 2013 we've spent a net total of £1million. Which means we've spent more than we've brought in.

which is probably sill less than every other prem club, net spend wise

The Echo website reporting VVD now at 3-1 to join Everton, down from 16-1. Surely he's got bigger ambitions than that.

Where are those prices from though? If Skybet ignore it, they regularly report news pieces and deliberately slash odds to get people to bet heavy on stuff.

Where are those prices from though? If Skybet ignore it, they regularly report news pieces and deliberately slash odds to get people to bet heavy on stuff.

Just checked skybet and despite having slashed Evertons odds, they've tucked away at the bottom the odds on him to stay at Saints - 1/4. Strange that it's at the bottom when usually they put the favourite outcome first!

Anyway, if they actually knew anything, the odds on Saints keeping him would be a lot longer to get people to bet on it.

Just looking at Sky and an even better example is the subheading....."Baggies head Benteke odds". So you click on that and go through to https://www.skybet.com/football/transfer-specials/event/20236800?aff_id=11941&dcmp=ss_betlink_LIVE_BENTEKE

And you see that they don't actually head the odds, or if you consider that they do, then it is all rather meaningless.

Everton know they won't be getting him, what they do know though is good pr. Making it look like they are in with a chance of signing him does 2 things, firstly makes them look like they're on a level with clubs like city etc and secondly makes it look as though we're on a level well below them and ripe for picking by them.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was someone from their club putting bets on, knowing how it will skew the odds.

One thing scousers are good at is pr and the media lap it up for some reason. Our club could do with taking a leaf from them re. Pr

We hear this every time with every player...

Indeed. He could sign for Chelsea without needing to move. And if he does end up up north then I think she can get used to Cheshire just like she got used to Glasgow (presumably, no idea how long they have been together).

Even though today's snippets are potentially positive, I always open this thread thinking "oh b*gger, what's happened now" when I see there are new posts. For me, it gives a sense of just how important a player he is for us now. Definitely one of the top 2 or 3 centre halves I've seen play for us in the past 40 years.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

The Telegraph is reporting that Man City want both VVD and Ryan Bertrand as part of a summer overhaul. According to the article they originally wanted Danny Rose at LB, but have gone off him because Spurs won't sell:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/16/pep-guardiola-plots-major-manchester-city-clear-out-disastrous/

shamefully, we cannot say "won't sell"

It's all fine and well selling players when we continue to do well and can be served entertaining football. Save for the Liverpool home game(s) it has been dire this season. The Europa failure being the most disappointing. Maybe Ralph takes the fan base for granted, but you serve up mediocre rubbish and it will be financially troublesome. Add the fact that when we see our ex players doing well, and playing against us, that is quite disheartening. We all know players come and go, but ours seem to go rather easily. You hear reasons that they only come to us because they know that they can move on, but that is far too defeatist.

So sell Bertrand, Fonte, VVD etc and replace with perceived cheap options and I think that this time it will probably alienate a lot of supporters. Many like me will probably still come as we have for decades, but you can shove your pathetic and patronising "Southampton Way" where it belongs, as I suspect not many of your customers are travelling the same path.

• 4 weeks later...
Crook is reporting in the Star that VVD will stay for another season after this, after being sounded out by the club before getting the captaincy:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/586612/Transfer-news-Virgil-van-Dijk-snub-Man-City-and-Liverpool

Feels odd to read a tabloid reporti that a Saints star will stay.

We've never believed a word printed in The Rags before .... so why start now :rolleyes:

For once though lets hope it is true!!

Crook is reporting in the Star that VVD will stay for another season after this, after being sounded out by the club before getting the captaincy:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/586612/Transfer-news-Virgil-van-Dijk-snub-Man-City-and-Liverpool

Hell yeah VVD will rip the championship a new one next season...

No chance.

If we'd been remotely competitive towards a European place in the league, then maybe. But there will just be too much interest in him for us to stand firm.

I'd almost feel a bit sorry for him if he stayed, he is way too good for us now. He could play for anyone.

Are players really that bothered about whether they are captain of a club side? I would suggest that isn't a huge factor in whether he stays or not.

Reality is if a big club come in for him with a big offer he will almost certainly go. Champs league football and much higher wages will win the day over captaincy at saints any day of the week!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

When you think about the captaincy situation then it's makes sense offering it to him on conditions he stays.

However it's Reed that will push a deal through because he will not turn down 50m.

The guy loves a gamble and a rebuilding job.

Don't talk pony

Apart from Jack Cork you can't name one player that has been sold who didn't want to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk