Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

I know this is an extremely unpopular view but personally I think he'd be slightly mental not to take up an offer from one of the Premier Leagues top four or top club abroad. He'd be doubling his money at a minimum and regularly be playing Champions League football against some of the worlds best players. Life at the top is relatively short for a top player and you are only one bad injury away from ending your career. VvD has maybe 7 or 8 seasons ahead of him, that's all. Why would you want to tread water with a club battling for 8th 7th place?

I know this is an extremely unpopular view but personally I think he'd be slightly mental not to take up an offer from one of the Premier Leagues top four or top club abroad. He'd be doubling his money at a minimum and regularly be playing Champions League football against some of the worlds best players. Life at the top is relatively short for a top player and you are only one bad injury away from ending your career. VvD has maybe 7 or 8 seasons ahead of him, that's all. Why would you want to tread water with a club battling for 8th 7th place?

We probably all agree but it's the hope that kills us.

If Virgil's current injury turns out to be the end of his career and Saints cancel his contract tomorrow without paying £0.01 in compensation, he'll still have earned 5 times the cash I will ever see in my life time. That argument carried weight once upon a time, when Tom, D*ck and Harry from Woolston were playing for us, but not any more.

I can see why players leave for big clubs and more money, it's blindingly obvious. I just don't buy the woe is me, sop story Fonte came up with when he left.

Being that there is now a strain of thinking on this forum that wouldnt it be brilliant if we had lots of 2-2, 3-3, 3-4 and 2-3 matches, thence selling VVD would be an excellent step in the right direction to that dream scenario.

Being that there is now a strain of thinking on this forum that wouldnt it be brilliant if we had lots of 2-2, 3-3, 3-4 and 2-3 matches, thence selling VVD would be an excellent step in the right direction to that dream scenario.

You could of at least put us down to win one of those goalfests

The dishonesty of the reports such as that by Sky is in trying to give the impression that signing a player is just like picking an item off a supermarket shelf. If you want it, you take it and don't worry about the price until you are at the check-out. Van Dijk is not being offered for sale and with 5 years on his contract, the club are well-protected. That doesn't mean that a massive offer wouldn't be considered if the money was enough to improve the team even with his loss but suggestions of £50m, are almost certainly based simply on what some other clubs have sold leading international players for. It is very unlikely that any such figure, or any figure at all, has come from the club who's only public comments have been that they do not wish to sell players they want to keep.

The dishonesty of the reports such as that by Sky is in trying to give the impression that signing a player is just like picking an item off a supermarket shelf. If you want it, you take it and don't worry about the price until you are at the check-out. Van Dijk is not being offered for sale and with 5 years on his contract, the club are well-protected. That doesn't mean that a massive offer wouldn't be considered if the money was enough to improve the team even with his loss but suggestions of £50m, are almost certainly based simply on what some other clubs have sold leading international players for. It is very unlikely that any such figure, or any figure at all, has come from the club who's only public comments have been that they do not wish to sell players they want to keep.

You also need the player to be happy to stay. Given we're a club who recruits players on the premise we won't stand in the way if a better offer comes along, and he can both play at a higher level and earn much more money, I'd question his sanity if he wants to stay.

If he wanted to stay then I agree with all that you have said.

Sure people won't like this but i’ve been told in the next few weeks to expect a “very well briefed” story in the press about VVD to Liverpool.

No ****, expect the same story recycled for city , United and Chelsea!

Sure people won't like this but i’ve been told in the next few weeks to expect a “very well briefed” story in the press about VVD to Liverpool.
Next few weeks lol. It will be most days until the window shuts. Personally I wont be surprised if he stays for another season as I was told he is a very honourable type who doesnt agitate for a move. Hopefully what I was told is true

Why does it always have to be Liverpool and spurs anyone but those two ****house clubs? For ****s sake Chelsea/Man City pull your ****ing finger out and start signing some our players....

I have a Liverpool fan in the office here and he told me months ago the price was agreed with all parties, but was conditional on Liverpool achieving Champions League qualification. He is sure they have the deal agreed.

Why does it always have to be Liverpool and spurs anyone but those two ****house clubs? For ****s sake Chelsea/Man City pull your ****ing finger out and start signing some our players....

City are too busy signing attacking midfielders for £40m plus, despite already having about 75 of them.

He will get some Lovren type stick from me on his return if he does

Why? He has been nothing but professional at Saints and utterly superb.

If he went to Liverpool he would be moving to a far bigger team with better players, a better Manager, more chances of winning trophies, ability to play in the Champions League next season as well as a lot more money.

Why would you boo him when from his point of view it would be a good move on many levels?

I have a Liverpool fan in the office here and he told me months ago the price was agreed with all parties, but was conditional on Liverpool achieving Champions League qualification. He is sure they have the deal agreed.

Then what's stopping it being announced?

Why? He has been nothing but professional at Saints and utterly superb.

If he went to Liverpool he would be moving to a far bigger team with better players, a better Manager, more chances of winning trophies, ability to play in the Champions League next season as well as a lot more money.

Why would you boo him when from his point of view it would be a good move on many levels?

Which is of course what is important to your average saints fan. I know I lay in bed at night worrying about saints players getting the good move the deserve...

Saints 2017-18 in EPL, FA Cup, EFL Cup. Liverpool and Spurs next season in UCL! It's really that simple. Our players not quite top notch for Chelsea. City and Utd. Shaw and Schneiderlin?

Saints 2017-18 in EPL, FA Cup, EFL Cup. Liverpool and Spurs next season in UCL! It's really that simple. Our players not quite top notch for Chelsea. City and Utd. Shaw and Schneiderlin?

But VVD is and arguably Mane was to. Lovern, Lallana and Clyne fair enough Liverpool is about as high as they can go but other two could do better.

Indeed, i could accept him going to Chelsea or city in uk but not those ar se holes..

He will get some Lovren type stick from me on his return if he does

Strange, especially when you consider yourself one of the 'more rational' and 'well balanced' posters.

VVD has been an great servant in his time and similar to Bertrand (who I know wants out) if they feel like it's time to go, then I don't really feel that you can blame them.

If we can't / won't pay the going rate for wages for someone of his ability then we don't really stand a chance of keeping him or others for that matter.

Lovren was a tit in the way he acted. He should have kept his mouth shut as he'd have got the move anyway, however I don't really begrudge him going. Lallana on the other hand, he acted like a complete child. I would say similar to the way fonte left. No respect for either of them.

Strange, especially when you consider yourself one of the 'more rational' and 'well balanced' posters.

VVD has been an great servant in his time and similar to Bertrand (who I know wants out) if they feel like it's time to go, then I don't really feel that you can blame them.

If we can't / won't pay the going rate for wages for someone of his ability then we don't really stand a chance of keeping him or others for that matter.

Lovren was a tit in the way he acted. He should have kept his mouth shut as he'd have got the move anyway, however I don't really begrudge him going. Lallana on the other hand, he acted like a complete child. I would say similar to the way fonte left. No respect for either of them.

Sign a six year deal then want out.... if he does go and its a big if, gives him no respect in my eyes...

We tell him he has 5 years left and that is the end of it. What is he going to do about it? Throw his toys out of the pram which would only result in him ending up at Stoke in 5 years time? Dortmund and Bilbao do this all the time, so why should we be any different?

These aren't common workers and shouldn't be treated as such. By leaving, they not only weaken us but will be used against us, why should we give two fu**s about making more money when we are already making them millionaires or winning trophies when we are competing in those same competitions, thus weakening our chances of winning them ourselves? These aren't hard up nurses of firefighters ffs, grow a backbone and stop "not begrudging them going". Anyone who demands to leave to a rival becomes an enemy.

We tell him he has 5 years left and that is the end of it. What is he going to do about it? Throw his toys out of the pram which would only result in him ending up at Stoke in 5 years time? Dortmund and Bilbao do this all the time, so why should we be any different?

These aren't common workers and shouldn't be treated as such. By leaving, they not only weaken us but will be used against us, why should we give two fu**s about making more money when we are already making them millionaires or winning trophies when we are competing in those same competitions, thus weakening our chances of winning them ourselves? These aren't hard up nurses of firefighters ffs, grow a backbone and stop "not begrudging them going". Anyone who demands to leave to a rival becomes an enemy.

Good post. For SKD to say VVD has been a "great servant" is hilarious. He's been here 2 seasons and missed half of one!!

I can accept players going when they enter the last 2 years of their contract, I think that's the point of fair compromise. If a player has longer left and wants to go then they are disrespecting the club. There is only one exception for me with VVD and that is IF Real Madrid or Barcelona cone calling. I think they are the only two clubs I could accept him going to this summer - for top top money though; 60+!! - because he is that good.

Like Kruger or not but what he says regarding the strength we are in with contracts is true. The club now need to see it through!!!!

Come off it he's hardly MLT or Benali is he? Been here two whole seasons...needs to be here a bit longer before you start handing out the "great servant to the club" platitudes

Come off it he's hardly MLT or Benali is he? Been here two whole seasons...needs to be here a bit longer before you start handing out the "great servant to the club" platitudes

You are right of course, I think what he is getting at is he has been a model pro for 2 years just as Bertrand has for 3.

I would be very disappointed to see VVD & RB leave, they are top players.

However if I take off my read & white glasses off, if I was in their shoes I would leave too. Especially RB as he is a couple of years older and turning 28 y.o this year.

As long as they handle themselves as professionals unlike Lovren & Lallana (worst of the lot) then no issues in my book.