Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

"Southampton FC - Brasil

1 hr ·

OFICIAL: Chelsea chegou a um acordo com o Southampton por Virgil van Dijk!

Os Blues pagarão £40M em Julho para o Saints e emprestarão Nathan Aké por uma temporada. Virgil, que não joga mais essa temporada, realizou sua ultima partida em janeiro, na vitória por 3-0 diante do Leicester.

O que não podia piorar, ficou pior.

Official: Chelsea came to an agreement with the Southampton for Virgil Van Dijk!

The Blues will pay £ 40 m in July for the saints and lend Nathan Aké for a season. Virgil, that doesn't play anymore this season, has done his last departure in January, in the 3-0 win in front of the Leicester.

What couldn't get any worse, it got worse."

I copied that from the Saints Brazil fan site. I don't know where they go their info from. But £40M sounds about £20M less than we could get if we waiited for a bidding war in the summer. So, let's hope it's not true.

Do bidding wars happen in this day and age? Normally the player and his agent have already agreed terms with the new club before the new club makes an offer. If Chelsea are confident of signing VVD it will be because they have contacted his agent and already thrashed out a deal and just need to come to an agreement with saints for a fee even if another club comes in for VVD if he has his heart set on Chelsea he won't go to another club even if they offer us more cash.

Yoshida is underrated in the air - he wins more headers than he loses.

He's not terrible in the air, but he was comfortably the 3rd best defender in our squad in that respect before Font left and Van Dijk was injured.

Compared with Van Dijk, who is absolutely outstanding in the air, he is a big step down.

Ake wins about 1.9 aerial duels per game, a similar number to Stephens. Van Dijk is the best defender in the league with 4.7, while Yoshida manages a respectable 3.9.

Point being Ake is a huge step down from Van Dijk in aerial prowess, and relying on one CB who is decent (not great) in the air is a big gamble, especially as the rest of the team aren't exactly giants.

To be frank, Liverpool aren't exactly renowned for playing with a big, powerful forward and Yoshida is alright when not up against a devastating aerial threat. He was also respectable against Ibrahimovic in the cup final, but also gave away a lot of fouls because he couldn't fairly match him in the air and Ibrahimovic was clever enough to go down under contact.

It is not impossible to be good in the air when not being the tallest, Ferdinand or Shearer were both very good (they were clever enough to get a run at defenders), but were both outscored by Peter Crouch in that department. Who would have thought a 6'6" forward would score more headed goals than a 5'11" or a 6" player?

Anyway, a better comparison would be Cannavaro, Mascherano or Moore who are/were all excellent defenders without being aerially dominant, although they all had a powerhouse defender alongside them to make sure they weren't outclassed in that department (Nesta, Pique, Charlton).

It is not impossible to be good in the air when not being the tallest, Ferdinand or Shearer were both very good (they were clever enough to get a run at defenders), but were both outscored by Peter Crouch in that department. Who would have thought a 6'6" forward would score more headed goals than a 5'11" or a 6" player?

Interesting fact, where are the stats for crouch scoring more headed goals then either Ferdinand or Shearer? Sorry going off on a tangent :)

He was always going to go. fairly laughable people suggesting otherwise.

pretty sad if we are never going to see him in a saints shirt again. what a player

all part of our regression to a team content in staying up I suppose

Oh rubbish. When has LGTL ever demonstrated any advanced knowledge of anything.

I haven't. I've never been ITK before (except when I saw Adkins land at Southampton Airport prior to him being announced), but I am reasonably informed on this, from Ake's side.

He was always going to go. fairly laughable people suggesting otherwise.

Is this official notification that you're playing your "I told you so" card or are you still keeping it up your sleeve, along with your "glad I was proven wrong" card, at least until it's formally confirmed by the club?

all part of our regression to a team content in staying up I suppose

Was signing... Lovren then Alderweireld then van Dijk all part of our regression? Why have you already dismissed the possibility we'll sign another top class centre back?

I'm also yet to see any conclusive prove from you that Les Reed is a "liar" as your avatar claims. Some of the things you claim are "lies" really aren't and others can be a case of changing his mind due to new evidence or events, which he is entirely entitled to do.

Was signing... Lovren then Alderweireld then van Dijk all part of our regression? Why have you already dismissed the possibility we'll sign another top class centre back?

I'm also yet to see any conclusive prove from you that Les Reed is a "liar" as your avatar claims. Some of the things you claim are "lies" really aren't and others can be a case of changing his mind due to new evidence or events, which he is entirely entitled to do.

If you think Reed hasn't lied to the fans on at least 1 occasion you are naive at best !

Is this official notification that you're playing your "I told you so" card or are you still keeping it up your sleeve, along with your "glad I was proven wrong" card, at least until it's formally confirmed by the club?

He is still basking in the glory of Puel being sacked by Christmas prediction.

If you think Reed hasn't lied to the fans on at least 1 occasion you are naive at best !

Please give one example that can't be explain by what I said?

Les Reed has lied to fans many times.

probably had to at times where as others, probably got full of himself

In April 2014, Reed released a statement saying that MP would sign a new contract and that there "wouldn't be a fire sale".

3 months later and we had a new manager and half a new team.

Sick of it. Can't keep a player under a long contract. Someone waves the cash and we go fuzzy at the ducking knees.

Keep him for another fcking season Les! Kat sell up mate and do it quick.

We've seen from the official published finances that we get nowhere near the reported totals.

A "£40m" transfer seems to mean we get roughly 22-25m once agents, celtic etc take a cut.

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

It appears some people on here have a misunderstanding of what constitutes a "lie", twist quote and appear to hold vendettas supporting by no evidence.

Les Reed has lied to fans many times.

probably had to at times where as others, probably got full of himself

And yet time after time you have failed to name one! :D

This for example...

we have had no bids for player before being sold days later

Do you have evidence to prove that at the time he made those statements we had received a bid for the player?

We will not sell Fonte without a top class replacement.

I covered that in the criteria. Changing his mind due to new evidence or events, which he is entirely entitled to do. They were clearly impressed with how Stephens did after Reed made that statement, plus had Caceres in mind but it took a while.

It meets the criteria of something not true that he knew was not true when he said it. Or, if you like, a lie.

No it doesn't. A personal opinion (that admittedly was nonsense) is not the same as lying.

In April 2014, Reed released a statement saying that MP would sign a new contract and that there "wouldn't be a fire sale".

3 months later and we had a new manager and half a new team.

He didn't say Pochettino would definitely sign a contract. Plus you have a strange understanding of what a firesale is.

A firesale is selling at discounted prices, that clearly didn't happen.

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

It appears some people on here have a misunderstanding of what constitutes a "lie", twist quote and appear to hold vendettas supporting by no evidence.

And yet time after time you have failed to name one! :D

This for example...

Do you have evidence to prove that at the time he made those statements we had received a bid for the player?

I covered that in the criteria. Changing his mind due to new evidence or events, which he is entirely entitled to do. They were clearly impressed with how Stephens did after Reed made that statement, plus had Caceres in mind but it took a while.

No it doesn't. A personal opinion (that admittedly was nonsense) is not the same as lying.

He didn't say Pochettino would definitely sign a contract. Plus you have a strange understanding of what a firesale is.

A firesale is selling at discounted prices, that clearly didn't happen.

Do you have any evidence that they had Caceres in mind? from the way it looked to me was that we had other targets who we failed to get and Caceres was a panic buy.

Sorry to be pedantic, however you are, so why the hell not :D

Do you have any evidence that they had Caceres in mind? from the way it looked to me was that we had other targets who we failed to get and Caceres was a panic buy.

Sorry to be pedantic, however you are, so why the hell not :D

Having been to Staplewood, I'm confident they don't panic buy players. Players are monitored throughly and alot of work goes into it over a prolonged time.

Having been to Staplewood, I'm confident they don't panic buy players. Players are monitored throughly and alot of work goes into it over a prolonged time.

how much work do you think went into signing Caraces and over what sort of time frame?

Personally I don't think it's possible to do that job and answer all questions honestly. Do people expect Les to reveal the price we would accept for virgil? Course not. Is there a price? Course there is. He has to play the game.

Did Les seriously believe we had the best midfield? No but he has to support the players he has. It's not about telling the truth to the fans, it's about sending messages to the market and players. If he told the exact truth he'd be sacked in a week.

I'm afraid in today's media world, anyone expecting the truth about sales and purchases until they happen, are the naive ones. Les plays the game like every other club and so he should.

John Terry wishing Virgil luck with his injury, there...

0acfc3757be61f6e65304a6fffef76e2.jpg

Just came on to post that myself - clinging on to the fact that John Terry probably won't be at Chelsea next season anyway, so hopefully it's just a centre halves union! :(

Just came on to post that myself - clinging on to the fact that John Terry probably won't be at Chelsea next season anyway, so hopefully it's just a centre halves union! :(

He will more than likely be on their coaching staff next season.

Of course he is he is too good for us and needs to play higher level. As long as we recruit well and get 50m ish then good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what it comes down to. Holding players to thier contracts just doesn't happen if a player really wants out. The important thing is getting a good replacement in and using the money to recruit well. Sometimes the club have done it incredibly well (Pelle,VVD, Bertrand) sometimes not so much (Clasie, Gardos )

This is what it comes down to. Holding players to thier contracts just doesn't happen if a player really wants out. The important thing is getting a good replacement in and using the money to recruit well. Sometimes the club have done it incredibly well (Pelle,VVD, Bertrand) sometimes not so much (Clasie, Gardos )

I will just be slightly pedantic and say that Gardos was probably a replacement for someone like Hooiveld if anyone, and therefore probably goes down as adequate. But yes I agree we have slipped up at times. Top centre halves are already hard to come by in the modern game so it will be interesting to see where we go for our next one(s).

I will just be slightly pedantic and say that Gardos was probably a replacement for someone like Hooiveld if anyone, and therefore probably goes down as adequate. But yes I agree we have slipped up at times. Top centre halves are already hard to come by in the modern game so it will be interesting to see where we go for our next one(s).

I'm with you, the next to sign is a replacement for José. Then Virgil then maybe Morgan followed by Mané...

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk