Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

He is obviously not going to sign for Everton.

I'm about as far from ITK as it's possible to be, so I hope you're right.

I personally think he'd be a fool to sign for any other PL club. If he does go anywhere, then a major Champs League force would be a better choice (Real, Bayern, etc).

He is obviously not going to sign for Everton.

Like many said that Koeman wouldn't? Money talks and they're prepared to part with large sums of theirs and we're not.

Do you honestly believe that if his only options (which they won't be, so I too don't believe he will go there) were to sign for Everton on £100k+ (plus signing on fee) or stay at us on £70/80k he will choose us?

Like many said that Koeman wouldn't? Money talks and they're prepared to part with large sums of theirs and we're not.

Do you honestly believe that if his only options (which they won't be, so I too don't believe he will go there) were to sign for Everton on £100k+ (plus signing on fee) or stay at us on £70/80k he will choose us?

big difference between £6m and £55m plus clauses... oh, and I'm sure VVD will have bigger offers.

Except he is going to have much better offers than Everton of the top six only Spurs and Chelsea would arguably not have a better defence without VVD. Its never going to be us or Everton as his only options.

Except he is going to have much better offers than Everton of the top six only Spurs and Chelsea would arguably not have a better defence without VVD. Its never going to be us or Everton as his only options.

Which is exactly what I said :D

You assume he would be given a choice.

Even more naive if you honestly believe we would turn down a bid c.£50m+.

And what would we do with the money? The accounts prove that we have been spending everything we earn. It would be pointless to sell as he would get more than we would be able to spend. And we wouldn't be losing any money by rejecting it, with 5 years left on his contract, if we get offers of £50m now, we will get them next year and the year after that.

We need Van Dijk more than we need any transfer fee we will realistically be offered. £50m isn't as much you seem to think it is.

And what would we do with the money? The accounts prove that we have been spending everything we earn. It would be pointless to sell as he would get more than we would be able to spend. And we wouldn't be losing any money by rejecting it, with 5 years left on his contract, if we get offers of £50m now, we will get them next year and the year after that.

We need Van Dijk more than we need any transfer fee we will realistically be offered. £50m isn't as much you seem to think it is.

I think you are Iiving in a different universe if you think we would turn down a record fee.

Where have you been in the last few years as we have sold our best players hand over fist?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think you are Iiving in a different universe if you think we would turn down a record fee.

Where have you been in the last few years as we have sold our best players hand over fist?

You're living in a different universe, constantly blaming the club. We're not selling players " hand over fist" because we want to, we have no choice. Players want to leave.

The last thing agreed is the fee. Gone are the days when clubs did deals & then told the player "we've sold you" . The only offers we'll receive are from clubs that have already agreed terms with him. Once we receive offers, he wants to go, end of, the club making the offer wouldn't make it otherwise. Les then had 2 choices, keep an unhappy player or get the most money possible. You're right, we won't turn down a record bid, not because we're greedy bar stewards, but because receiving the offer means he wants out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean all those players who were in the last two years of their contracts and refusing to extend, so that we were faced with those assets declining in value if we decided to keep them? And even then we kept Wanyama and Clyne until the final year.

Or perhaps you mean 2014 when we had a big financial hole caused by our former CEO spending more than we could afford, so we had to sell to cover our cash shortfall and then sell some more to reinvest in the squad and make it stronger overall?

So which of these scenarios applies to this case?

Far from being more of the same, to sell Van Dijk now would out of character on our part. Not to say it definitely won't happen, but it would be unprecedented for us to sell a key player without being effectively forced to.

FFS, you're in a different universe if you think the club can do anything about it. They haven't sold players "hand over fist" because they want to, but because they've been forced to. The offer is the end of the line. Gone are the days when offers are made speculatively. The player has agreed terms & wants to join before any offer is made. We won't turn down a record offer because we're greedy bar stewards, but because once we've received an offer, he clearly wants out. I hate the way people try & twist this basic reality to moan about the club.

FFS, you're in a different universe if you think the club can do anything about it. They haven't sold players "hand over fist" because they want to, but because they've been forced to. The offer is the end of the line. Gone are the days when offers are made speculatively. The player has agreed terms & wants to join before any offer is made. We won't turn down a record offer because we're greedy bar stewards, but because once we've received an offer, he clearly wants out. I hate the way people try & twist this basic reality to moan about the club.

I think we are almost making the same point

I certainly get the impression that the club is the last to find out that their player is planning on leaving for another club. It's not my favourite part of things. Right now there seem to be two conflicting lines of thought on VVD - the first that his family is settled here and he agreed to give Saints another year after getting the captaincy. The other is that he is pretty much half way out the door to Chelsea, with City also sniffing around. Neither of these conflicting alternatives would surprise me but I'd be shocked if he ends up with Everton.

Sensible comments. They will certainly be sniffing as he is a top player and the type they want to sign.

The key is that better teams will want him, otherwise he would propably want to join Everton due to the much publisised money on offer - as swayed Koeman.

I like the way you've written a reply in a style that suggests I don't know what I'm talking about while at the same time completely agreeing with what I said.

I certainly get the impression that the club is the last to find out that their player is planning on leaving for another club. It's not my favourite part of things. Right now there seem to be two conflicting lines of thought on VVD - the first that his family is settled here and he agreed to give Saints another year after getting the captaincy. The other is that he is pretty much half way out the door to Chelsea, with City also sniffing around. Neither of these conflicting alternatives would surprise me but I'd be shocked if he ends up with Everton.

Clubs are the last to find out these days when players want out. It might be against the rules for clubs to contact a player under contract to another club directly but not to contact his agent.

Where once clubs agreed a deal and then players talked contracts now it seems agents and clubs sort out contracts and then present clubs with a Fait accompli.

Me too, there's no way Everton will be signing him, they've already lined up Sergio Ramos and Thiago Silva. Jerome Boateng is also desperate to join them and will be their back up option.

With the bad feeling between Les & Koeman, I would bet that the only way he will end up at Everton is if they offer by far and away the largest amount for him. That would be a good few million more than the 'Eye watering' amount the article suggests and beyond their means!

And even then it still relies on the player actually accepting their terms and agreeing to the transfer. There's just no way he will agree terms with Everton, no matter how much money they are offering, when he knows full well that one of the top Champs League clubs is going to come knocking sooner rather than later.

Would be incredibly disappointing if he went to Everton. Fortunately I can't see them being able to afford him or him wanting to go there.

If Lukaku goes they will. £60m for the sell + £150k (reported contract he turned down) off the wage bill.

As I've said previously, money talks. If they offer him a better deal (much better) than one of the big clubs, he will go there

This article has come from either two avenues the agent or Everton FC and my bet is the latter.

Its all about 'look at us' this is 'what we want to be' etc whilst realistically the newspaper journo and Everton FC are mugging off their own readers and fans by writing/ agreeing to such a blatant orchestrated 'briefed' article.

I dont see any further than chelsea as that ticks all the boxes a player like VVD would want.

If Lukaku goes they will. £60m for the sell + £150k (reported contract he turned down) off the wage bill.

As I've said previously, money talks. If they offer him a better deal (much better) than one of the big clubs, he will go there

If they spent the Lukaku money on anything other than another top quality CF they are complete mugs.

Getting goals is the hardest thing in this league and we've done seriously well with Austin and Gabby - everyone else has pretty much failed.

He is not going to Everton. Chelsea maybe.

Has he told you that ?.... no...thought not.....

Perhaps this claim is like your "Poch will end up at Real" .... over zealous speculation

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

The only money they spent this year was covered by their sale of Stones. I don't reckon they're ready to drop £60 mil on anyone, let alone a centre back, despite all this talk of being the 'new Man City'.

Has he told you that ?.... no...thought not.....

Perhaps this claim is like your "Poch will end up at Real" .... over zealous speculation

Isn't this whole thread based on speculation? My opinion is based on our/The footballing worlds previous experiences in recent transfer windows

Answer me this, do you honestly believe

1) We will turn down an offer of anything from £50m+

2) Chelsea or city offer him 100k a week, Everton offer him £150k a week* (include release clauses and sell him the dream etc...)

3) VVD would not be interested in a move away if he was offered those sums of money?

* using wages as an example. Would expect city / Chelsea to offer more / roughly the same as Everton.

If Everton want him enough and are willing to break the bank to get him, they will. After all, if this season is anything to go by, Everton have just as much chance of winning the title as City. Obviously everyone is expecting city to improve next year.

FWIW I think he'll end up at Chelsea. Just pointing out that there is a possibility he would go to Everton. A very slim one, but they wouldn't express an intrest if they believed they had no chance.

Isn't this whole thread based on speculation? My opinion is based on our/The footballing worlds previous experiences in recent transfer windows

Answer me this, do you honestly believe

1) We will turn down an offer of anything from £50m+

2) Chelsea or city offer him 100k a week, Everton offer him £150k a week* (include release clauses and sell him the dream etc...)

3) VVD would not be interested in a move away if he was offered those sums of money?

* using wages as an example. Would expect city / Chelsea to offer more / roughly the same as Everton.

If Everton want him enough and are willing to break the bank to get him, they will. After all, if this season is anything to go by, Everton have just as much chance of winning the title as City. Obviously everyone is expecting city to improve next year.

FWIW I think he'll end up at Chelsea. Just pointing out that there is a possibility he would go to Everton. A very slim one, but they wouldn't express an intrest if they believed they had no chance.

Turn it in, he's not going to Everton.

In all this "experience" of the "footballing world" that you are basing your opinion on, when has a non elite club outbid an elite club for a player in the last five to ten years?

If Everton make a bid for him, the bigger and richer clubs aren't going to sit there and do nothing. He is destined for the top and a few seasons at Everton isn't going to help to achieve that quickly for him or his agent. He is good enough already to warrant a huge club to pay Saints a colossal fee.

I don't think he will go to Everton either - but you really can't rule it out. He's guaranteed a 1st team place there, they are a step up from us (no I don't want to accept that either) and they will pay silly money and wages. I actually think he will go to Chelsea as he seems settled in the area and he wouldn't even have to move - worry for me is Chelsea are much smarter on negotiating than Everton so we wouldn't win from that....

I don't think he will go to Everton either - but you really can't rule it out. He's guaranteed a 1st team place there, they are a step up from us (no I don't want to accept that either) and they will pay silly money and wages. I actually think he will go to Chelsea as he seems settled in the area and he wouldn't even have to move - worry for me is Chelsea are much smarter on negotiating than Everton so we wouldn't win from that....

You can rule it out. Although he would be first choice at West Brom and Stoke too.

The pull for VvD won't be Everton as much as it is Koeman

Hes made no secret of there friendship and perhaps that's more of a magnet than we would like to think.

Everton have shown with the wage offer to lukaku that they are prepared to pay the premium wages.

We don't know what Evertons ambitions are, but I suspect they will spend big this summer

The pull for VvD won't be Everton as much as it is Koeman

Hes made no secret of there friendship and perhaps that's more of a magnet than we would like to think.

Everton have shown with the wage offer to lukaku that they are prepared to pay the premium wages.

We don't know what Evertons ambitions are, but I suspect they will spend big this summer

They were supposed to spend big this summer just gone but they didn't. They'll need to spend on strengthening the depth of their squad now they're in Europe, I doubt they'll blow their entire budget on a centre back. Koeman and Virgil spent one season together, i'd hardly expect Koeman to affect Virgil's entire career path (which this move may) when he must know that Ron will be off at the first decent opportunity anyway.

They were supposed to spend big this summer just gone but they didn't. They'll need to spend on strengthening the depth of their squad now they're in Europe, I doubt they'll blow their entire budget on a centre back. Koeman and Virgil spent one season together, i'd hardly expect Koeman to affect Virgil's entire career path (which this move may) when he must know that Ron will be off at the first decent opportunity anyway.

They spent 75m on Bolasie, Morgan, Lookman, Williams and Gueye and recall they had a 30m bid accepted for sissoko but he chose Spurs?

If they can hold onto Koeman this summer I can see another 75-100m being spent easy

They spent 75m on Bolasie, Morgan, Lookman, Williams and Gueye and recall they had a 30m bid accepted for sissoko but he chose Spurs?

If they can hold onto Koeman this summer I can see another 75-100m being spent easy

Sold stones for £50 so net spend of 25m. Could also suggest they bid for sissoko because bolasie is a long term doubt.

Sold stones for £50 so net spend of 25m. Could also suggest they bid for sissoko because bolasie is a long term doubt.

Net spend probably nearer 40m as we have seen with our finances a 50m sale actually means the club see about 75%-80%

Lets not forget the 6m they spent on Koeman too ;)

Turn it in, he's not going to Everton.

In all this "experience" of the "footballing world" that you are basing your opinion on, when has a non elite club outbid an elite club for a player in the last five to ten years?

When have I said he will go to Everton? All I've pointed out is there is a chance, like there is a chance (a bigger one at that) that he'll stay at us.

Everyone on this place said Koeman wouldn't go to Everton... look how that one ended up.

I'm not saying they will outbid an elite club.. but if they want the man that desperately, they can and they would need to.

Quite frankly, anyone who even for a nano second, thinks VvD will even contemplate a move to Everton is an even bigger tool than I originally thought.

If reports are to believed (which the Liverpool echo is pretty realiable) Everton and Koeman believe they have a chance. I wouldn't imagine that is plucked from thin air, especially given his agent is the same as Koemans...

If the money is right, he'd consider a move anywhere... just look at all those heading to china....