Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

When you think about the captaincy situation then it's makes sense offering it to him on conditions he stays.

However it's Reed that will push a deal through because he will not turn down 50m.

The guy loves a gamble and a rebuilding job.

And yet Reed somehow managed to persuade him to sign a new 6 year deal last summer.

I know the cynics on here will see that as Les's attempt to simply get a higher fee for him when we sell this summer but I think that management see him as an absolutely vital cog in our team and will do their best to keep hold of him if it's at all possible.

An interesting point about that new contract is it's pretty obvious to see what was in it for Saints but the big question is what persuaded Virgil to sign up for 6 years with no release clause. Must have been pretty compelling.

There's some information out there that he is perfectly happy as a Saint, and he and his family are settled and reluctant to move out of the area because of a newborn. We must at least have a chance of getting him to stay for one more year, almost like the Morgan situation but with longer left on the contract and no public tantrums.

That was before Lallana knew Liverpool were after him. VVD are certainly well aware that every top club wants him so if he still says he's happy to stay maybe he's at least considering it :).

Would be absolutely huge for us as a club if he did stay.

Fair point and VVD may well go in the summer but then also he may not.

Just don't think it's the foregone conclusion that many on here believe it to be and I certainly don't believe that Les is keen to sell him, even for big money, although there is always the possibility that his hand may be forced.

As for the player himself, it's a bit of a different situation to Lallana. Nivea Boy had been here since he was a kid and was playing pretty well (but certainly not at VVD's level) so signing a new contract for Saints was a perfectly reasonable step. When the big clubs came sniffing a year later it's understandable that he took his big chance while it was there and went where the money was.

Virgil was only one year into a 5 year contract and had already been playing a blinder when he suddenly signs a new 6 year contract effectively binding him to Saints for an additional two years. Given the dearth of quality centre backs around in modern football the big clubs were already getting interested in him when he signed the new contract so why did he do it ?

I suspect the answer lies partly in his personal situation but also in the number of other new contracts that have been signed by core players in the last year and that rumoured 'change of direction' from the board last summer.

Don't assume that VVD getting sold in the summer is a done deal.

I've always thought he will stay for another year. He's only one year into a six year deal and his value will still be increasing over next season, barring any dramatic loss of form. He's already won trophies and played Champions League with Celtic. I don't doubt he will want to join one of the top English, Spanish or German clubs but he's good enough to bide his time and wait for the perfect opportunity.

The only caveat is if he has a release clause but, if he does, I would have expected someone to activate it already (unless it doesn't kick-in until the summer but let's hope not....)/

I've always thought he will stay for another year. He's only one year into a six year deal and his value will still be increasing over next season, barring any dramatic loss of form or injury. He's already won trophies and played Champions League with Celtic. I don't doubt he will want to join one of the top English, Spanish or German clubs but he's good enough to bide his time and wait for the perfect opportunity.

The only caveat is if he has a release clause but, if he does, I would have expected someone to activate it already (unless it doesn't kick-in until the summer but let's hope not....)/

One of his many attributes is that he was bomb-proof and played every game but now the jury's out. Saints rush him back and he gets another one, or Saints nurse him back and he could still meet a Vardy in his first game back. Maybe we already had peak VVD pre-Leicester?

The difference with Lallana as it was only Liverpool poss spurs that would of taken him and I guess he felt he had to make the most of that opportunity while it's there, vvd on the other hand knows pretty much any team would want him and if his form continues and he irons out his little lapses then he be a perfect fit at Barca or Real

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4209674/Southampton-news-Van-Dijk-fears-won-t-play-season.html - Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk fears he won't return this season and may have played his last game for the club with Chelsea and Co interested

Article says he has told friends he doesn't think he'll play again this season

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4209674/Southampton-news-Van-Dijk-fears-won-t-play-season.html - Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk fears he won't return this season and may have played his last game for the club with Chelsea and Co interested

'friends'. Bullshhiitt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Everton can persuade Lukaku to stay (& sign new contract) we can persuade VVD to stay.

Will we?

It hasn't been that hard for Everton to hold on to Lukaku because no ****er has ever bid for him and certainly none of the big clubs Lukaku and his agent keep telling everyone he should be playing for. I'm willing to bet if no team ever bids for VVD he will stay at saints for another 5 years :mcinnes:

Virgil: My injury may keep me out for the rest of the season.

Mail: VIRGIL VAN DIJK WILL NEVER PLAY FOR SOUTHAMPTON AGAIN!!!

Good to see the tabloids back in form.

It hasn't been that hard for Everton to hold on to Lukaku because no ****er has ever bid for him and certainly none of the big clubs Lukaku and his agent keep telling everyone he should be playing for. I'm willing to bet if no team ever bids for VVD he will stay at saints for another 5 years :mcinnes:

:lol: and if you keep telling yourself that, even you will eventually believe it :lol:

Better update Wikipedia then.

The difference with VVD is that everyone had the opportunity to buy him when we did - it must be the most public transfer we have done in recent years.

We haven't unearthed a gem, as in Poch, Mane, Lovren (!), Koeman, Alderweireld, Clyne, Pelle etc - the whole world knew that we were in for VVD and they had all seen him play, no one else was interested.

Hopefully, whatever it was that discouraged them back then, still does now.

It’s terrible mate – just don’t know who to trust.

I personally don’t bovver with newspapers/twitter/sky/facebook crap. If I want to know anything about football (at any club) I just ask people on here.

Amazed nobody has bid for Lukaku (Thanks for letting us know the truth) he’s scored 17 league goals already (25 last season). That 17 is more than Rodriguez (4) Long (2) Redmond (3) Virgil van Dijk (1) Bertrand (1) Boufal (1) Tadic (2) Clasie (1) combined :scared:

It’s terrible mate – just don’t know who to trust.

I personally don’t bovver with newspapers/twitter/sky/facebook crap. If I want to know anything about football (at any club) I just ask people on here.

Amazed nobody has bid for Lukaku (Thanks for letting us know the truth) he’s scored 17 league goals already (25 last season). That 17 is more than Rodriguez (4) Long (2) Redmond (3) Virgil van Dijk (1) Bertrand (1) Boufal (1) Tadic (2) Clasie (1) combined :scared:

He's also scored 7 of those goals in two games (3 vs. Sunderland and 4 vs. Bournemouth), so doesnt account for the long dry spells he goes through where he looks like he can't be arsed until the ball arrives at his feet. He really isn't elite level.

He's also scored 7 of those goals in two games (3 vs. Sunderland and 4 vs. Bournemouth), so doesnt account for the long dry spells he goes through where he looks like he can't be arsed until the ball arrives at his feet. He really isn't elite level.

He (Lukaku) is damn close to elite level; I don't know what else you would want in a striker. Lukaku represents another awful misjudgement on Mourhino's part in letting him go for a song. Back on topic, I hope we get to see VVD in a Saint's shirt next season - staying up is the first step in that hopeful process.

He (Lukaku) is damn close to elite level; I don't know what else you would want in a striker. Lukaku represents another awful misjudgement on Mourhino's part in letting him go for a song. Back on topic, I hope we get to see VVD in a Saint's shirt next season - staying up is the first step in that hopeful process.

He is inconsistent like lots of strikers in this league, very few can be classed as elite to get the elite tag you need to be thinking

Messi, Suarez,Neymar imo

The difference with VVD is that everyone had the opportunity to buy him when we did - it must be the most public transfer we have done in recent years.

We haven't unearthed a gem, as in Poch, Mane, Lovren (!), Koeman, Alderweireld, Clyne, Pelle etc - the whole world knew that we were in for VVD and they had all seen him play, no one else was interested.

The chat was that he had a tendancy to be a little lazy / switch off and so big prem teams werent sure, he liked a wander too. That said its also not that easy to judge a player playing CB for celtic in the spl if we're honest. Champions league performances are arguably like 3rd round cup ties for lower league players. We took what people considered a risk at that money and VVD has stepped up to the prem rather than the prem find out that there are actual flaws in his game to really worry about. In my opinion anyone can see that he is simply top class on the field, appears to have a likeable and positive character about him and would be an excellent signing for possibly any world club - sounds OTT but i think he improves any world clubs squad at least

Big clubs were aware of all the other guys as well, I'm sure. They can afford to let these players go to smaller teams, sink or swim and then pay a premium for the swimmers. That's how they operate.

(Also, the idea that we "unearthed" Ronald Koeman or Alderweireld is barmy)

Edited by DuncanRG

He is inconsistent like lots of strikers in this league, very few can be classed as elite to get the elite tag you need to be thinking

Messi, Suarez,Neymar imo

Aguero and Sanchez are, in my opinion of course, the closest to that level in the Premier League. Hazard perhaps worth a mention. Never thought I'd come round to this point of view, but I'd sooner have Kane than Lukaku, even if Lukaku has a higher potential ceiling. Kane has a better all round game (despite strangely not being obviously good at one thing) and is more consistent in finding the net.

Still maintain that Pochettino got lucky with his emergence though.

Aguero and Sanchez are, in my opinion of course, the closest to that level in the Premier League. Hazard perhaps worth a mention. Never thought I'd come round to this point of view, but I'd sooner have Kane than Lukaku, even if Lukaku has a higher potential ceiling. Kane has a better all round game (despite strangely not being obviously good at one thing) and is more consistent in finding the net.

Still maintain that Pochettino got lucky with his emergence though.

Agree with all of that

Never thought I'd come round to this point of view, but I'd sooner have Kane than Lukaku, even if Lukaku has a higher potential ceiling. Kane has a better all round game (despite strangely not being obviously good at one thing) and is more consistent in finding the net.

He also takes better corners.

Rodger said that Liverpool scout blocked his move for VVD when he was the manager of Liverpool.

Same for Mane. Such potential but "untested" players should be trained and play in Liverpool's feeder club for two years before going to Liverpool.

I suspect Liverpool and Southampton have a deal allowing Southampton to have such talented but "untested" players to join Southampton for two years first on condition that Liverpool shall have a right of first refusal at a "reasonable" price.

Rodger said that Liverpool scout blocked his move for VVD when he was the manager of Liverpool.

Same for Mane. Such potential but "untested" players should be trained and play in Liverpool's feeder club for two years before going to Liverpool.

I suspect Liverpool and Southampton have a deal allowing Southampton to have such talented but "untested" players to join Southampton for two years first on condition that Liverpool shall have a right of first refusal at a "reasonable" price.

I suspect this is rubbish.

Key quote: “Some clubs will want to see the players tested at certain arenas first."

This is exactly why we secure great players then lose them. We don't unearth gems from under the top clubs' noses, we're the testing ground.

Key quote: “Some clubs will want to see the players tested at certain arenas first."

This is exactly why we secure great players then lose them. We don't unearth gems from under the top clubs' noses, we're the testing ground.

Every club is a testing ground until you get to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Question is how do we stop testing players and managers for the EPL top 7? How do we join the likes of Spurs and Everton in the top 7 without the likes of Liverpool just taking the players they want?

Question is how do we stop testing players and managers for the EPL top 7? How do we join the likes of Spurs and Everton in the top 7 without the likes of Liverpool just taking the players they want?

You really dont know the answer to that one, seriously?

We match their transfer budgets, wages and through that demonstrate we can match their ambition. Wont ever happen unless someone (a billionaire) opens their wallet and spends massive money. No other way so just accept where we are in the food chain.

You really dont know the answer to that one, seriously?

We match their transfer budgets, wages and through that demonstrate we can match their ambition. Wont ever happen unless someone (a billionaire) opens their wallet and spends massive money. No other way so just accept where we are in the food chain.

One of the food chain must be Celtic, Saints, Liverpool or Spurs, lastly Madrid.

It won't ever happen until we expand our fan base. With FFP we are pretty limited in what we can do, billionaire owner or not.

Well, they were talking about the "top 7" (even if they didn't realise it) for some reason. So the answer to that is that it has happened. It happened the last two seasons. And it nearly happened the season before.

So the obvious answer is: you become a solid mid-table club, and you have a good season when one of the clubs with a massive budget underachieves.

Some players are never the same after serious injury. I'd be looking to sell him for a huge fee. We can bring in two top players, possibly 3, with the fee we would get for him. Would be sad to see him go, but it would make sense to improve the team and squad in the long run.

Is this classed as a "serious" injury?

I'd say jrod's is but 3 months out ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Barcelona should be interested after tonight.

(I still believe he may be here another season.)

I'm sure the club would love him to stay another season but I just don't see it.

Not when the mega rich clubs want him. Let's not forget he changed to Ronald's agent, who is hardly the beacon of loyalty.

Hell, maybe we might even see a P/X deal actually happen with Ake involved if Chelsea come in for him.