Arsenal 0-2 Saints - Reaction & Semi Final Draw

Lighthouse

MotM vs Arsenal (League Cup 2016/17 QF Away)  

270 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Arsenal (League Cup 2016/17 QF Away)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Martina
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Clasie
    • Reed
    • Davis
    • Boufal
    • McQueen
    • Long
    • Højbjerg
    • Sims

Great win but I am afraid it will all be in vain because taking the st Mary's game into consideration there is no way we will beat Liverpool over two legs.

I did not think we would beat Leeds in 1979 but we did and went to Wembley.

After Terry Curran scored early the semi final at the Dell was the longest match I have been to as we held on to the 1 0 lead

What I enjoyed so much about last night is it shows some teams play kids but have to carry them , whereas we bring in the likes of McQueen, Reed, Sims and they actually improve us as a team. Hope Reeds injury was not too bad as he was excellent. Our fixture congestion this season is giving these lads great exposure to first team football and they are seizing the opportunity with both hands.

Great win but I am afraid it will all be in vain because taking the st Mary's game into consideration there is no way we will beat Liverpool over two legs.

Hey FF... I've just had Puel on the blower asking if you could give the pre-match team talks in the next round? You up for that me ol' mucker? :)

P.S. How come you've given your login credentials to that Glasgow fella?

After Terry Curran scored early the semi final at the Dell was the longest match I have been to as we held on to the 1 0 lead

Absolutely. And IIRC leeds had given us a hiding at Elland road in the autumn.

And, even if we do lose the semi, better to have at least got there.

Ask a Huddersfield fan what even a QF is like......they havent had one since the very early 70's.

Someone give Fitzhugh a happy pill.

Quality performance from the team last night. We controlled the game pretty much from start to finish and reduced them to tame shots from distance. Would have loved a 3rd goal in front of our fans, which would have been fully deserved, but it wasn't to be.

Prague was a bit of a cluster**** and while last night hasn't made up for it, at least we can sense the team are on the right track again. Full credit to Puel and the rest of the management team for getting the players up for the game against Everton and last night in a short space of time.

Semi finals are exciting. We don't get to many so let's enjoy it and ruin their apparently nailed on final with Man Utd.

Getting Liverpool over two legs (wth the home game first) is the hardest draw we could have got.

FFS.

Hopefully we get an pish easy home game in the FA cup the weekend before and hope they move the Leicester game (which is the day before the away leg)

I remember that listening to an in and out signal Solent on the radio in my bedroom (being a school night). Crikey just remembered that was in the days before wall to wall coverage and Solent would have a normal music show but would have a crowd noise when a goal would be scored either way. That was indeed a very long night. You have also reminded me about the first leg at Elland Road, highlights were on Sportsnight and my Dad shouting for me to come downstairs in my jimjams 0-2 down half time, Lawrie conducting the hardy souls who made the trip north to sing more, think a pitch sprinkler went off and a bloke sat on a bucket over it until it was turned off, and we levelled the tie at 2-2: all very exciting for a Saints mad nipper!

Cheers for triggering those memories John

I remember that listening to an in and out signal Solent on the radio in my bedroom (being a school night). Crikey just remembered that was in the days before wall to wall coverage and Solent would have a normal music show but would have a crowd noise when a goal would be scored either way. That was indeed a very long night. You have also reminded me about the first leg at Elland Road, highlights were on Sportsnight and my Dad shouting for me to come downstairs in my jimjams 0-2 down half time, Lawrie conducting the hardy souls who made the trip north to sing more, think a pitch sprinkler went off and a bloke sat on a bucket over it until it was turned off, and we levelled the tie at 2-2: all very exciting for a Saints mad nipper!

And memories for me too.

Cold and foggy night at Elland Rd for the first leg.

Very few Saints fans at the game.

Battered and 2-0 down before a most unexpected recovery to 2-2

Great atmosphere for the return.

Terry Curran (not a favourite with many Saints fans at the time) scores a very rare goal and then we are under the cosh for the rest of the game

We finally win through but lose to Nottm Forest in an entertaining final

My apologies to Claude Puel and the team for thinking the team wasn't going to be strong enough. I am f**king delighted to be so wrong.

Won't bother saying what a lot have already said, but just wanted to point out how well Harrison Reed played. So great to see him back from the abyss under Koeman and playing well again. McQueen also had a very strong game, he is so calm in possession and finds others very well. And to top it off Sims came on and looked very dangerous, he is going to be a joy to watch.

Our academy is "sick" as the lads who play in it would probably say.

Puel reaction to Arsenal win...

we prepared well

this game had a different profile

we were clinical in the 1st half, 2 chances, 2 goals. I like this

we had many chances to score in the 2nd half but we never took them

it was important to have good organisation

it was a fantastic game to keep the result in the 2nd half

good attitude from my players

we have a great chance now in the 2nd part of the season

it was our objective to get to the semi final of this cup

now we want to win his cup

we continue the good work with the squad and see where we go

Sorry to be such a killjoy especially after an excellent performance, but realism kicks in early with me, plus I find having low expectations helps when things go pear shape as they invariably do with us. I will be thrilled to be eating these words in Feb and looking forward to "Meltdown Trousers" digging this thread out in the Spring to gloat.

Sorry to be such a killjoy especially after an excellent performance, but realism kicks in early with me, plus I find having low expectations helps when things go pear shape as they invariably do with us. I will be thrilled to be eating these words in Feb and looking forward to "Meltdown Trousers" digging this thread out in the Spring to gloat.

Somewhat default position as well. Happy with the win, and let the feeling last over night, and then return to pessimism. That way one isn't disappointed when things do go belly up.

To some extent I agree with you but we are surely going to get to another proper cup final at Wembley again it is nearly forty years since we were last there.

Liverpool are a great club one of the most consistent and successful ones over the last 50 years so it is a huge task to beat them over two legs

What I enjoyed so much about last night is it shows some teams play kids but have to carry them , whereas we bring in the likes of McQueen, Reed, Sims and they actually improve us as a team. Hope Reeds injury was not too bad as he was excellent. Our fixture congestion this season is giving these lads great exposure to first team football and they are seizing the opportunity with both hands.

Isn't it great that JWP & MT rarely get mentioned as young academy lads these days, such fixtures have they become and yet that's what they are. They were missing last night but suppose they had played a part as well......

Mind you with Bertie in the form of his life Matt & Sam are going to have to go some to feature on merit rather than through rotation.

The big Q is will any of these boys get the nod for Wembley or are they just doing the leg work for the big beasts to seize the glory. There'll be no take it or leave it attitude on that stage believe me.

And memories for me too.

Cold and foggy night at Elland Rd for the first leg.

Very few Saints fans at the game.

Cold and foggy? It was certainly cold, it was blowing a blizzard at times, don't recall any fog, just lots of snow, especially on the trip up. I was the nominated driver, four of us up there after work (from Bracknell). Stood in the open corner of Elland Road, what a **** hole. Great night though. Pity about the final.

PS Anyone else still having problems with spaces when entering text on this forum (Chrome on PC)

Nice one, now let's go and win it.

Desperately hoping that Clippety rests the entire Pool team but can't really see it. Yes, they are a good team but so are we when we have our heads screwed on so I think it's going to be tight.

That cupboard is looking far too bare, time to get some rewards for the amazing progress this club has made since 2009.

Same again in the Europa please, if we take it seriously I can't see why we can't go a long way.

What is interesting is the closeness in the MOTM poll between so many players. I had Bertrand as my MOTM for scoring one and assisting the other, but the way that votes were scattered for others in defence and the midfield shows how strong the team performance was last night.

It is a strange situation when one looks at the team selection pre-match and believes that we do stand a chance with those players based on their recent performances, even against a team like Arsenal, despite them playing a few youngsters who I hadn't heard of before. At the start of the season, McQueen and Sims were unknown except to the followers of the academy and Reed was out of favour. Now they have joined Targett and J W-P as deemed to be able deputies or even first choice in Puel's rotation policy which allows us to put out decent teams to compete across several fronts, the PL, the European campaign, the EFL Cup and soon the FA Cup. Credit to Puel for believing in the youngsters and giving them the chance to prove themselves.

You have become incredibly tedious. "Default position" is one thing, trying to drag everyone else down and presenting your miserablism as indisputable fact is entirely another.

Edited by The9

I'm getting really bored of Arsenal fans and the media saying....oh we made 10 changes.

Martinez

Gibbs

Paulista

Holding

Jenkinson

Elneny

Coquelin

Iwobi

Ramsey

Reine-Adelaide

Perez

Subs used

Oxlade-C

Xhaka

Maitland-Niles

Martinez, who they bought years ago for £1.25m might be weak, but the back four was quite strong. Paulista cost them £12.75m, Holding cost them £2.5m and Jenkinson and Gibbs are hardly novices.

Elneny cost £11m and Coquelin is first choice

Iwobi is a youth team player who has progressed and who has played 9 times in the PL this season (and not as a 5 min sub) and is a fairly well established player. Ramsey is Ramsey and not a fringe player. Reine-A cost them over £2m but is a fringe player, and Perez, well he cost them £17m!! And let's not talk about the cost of 2 of the subs Ox £12m and Xhaka £35m.

So while they did make 10 changes, you can hardly say that it was a **** poor team on paper.

The home game against liverpoo will follow a busy Xmas period - (Wed 28/ Sat 31/ Mon 2/ Sat 7th FaCup).

IMO Claude has shown to be very good at "Squad Rotation" this season, one of the best in the league which is what is needed at this time of the year.

The away leg is due to be played on Tues/Wed of a week that Sky have chosen to move our game with Leicester to a Monday.

I hope the Club get onto the PL & Sky and TELL THEM that the Leicester game must be moved back to Saturday

The away leg is due to be played on Tues/Wed of a week that Sky have chosen to move our game with Leicester to a Monday.

I hope the Club get onto the PL & Sky and TELL THEM that the Leicester game must be moved back to Saturday

It has already been moved back to the Sunday at noon.

Perhaps worth pointing out that we did beat Liverpool over 2 legs last season, in the league at least. Having said that, they've bought the player who scored 3 of the 4 goals for us and the other is in China.

No worries there. The games are in January and we all know how useless he is in the winter months.

This was so me. Listening to the game on the radio stuffed under my pillow because I was supposed to be asleep in bed and trying not to jump up and run round the bedroom when we scored so I would not tip off my mum and dad that I was listening to Saints on the radio when I should have been sleeping.

As much as I am buzzing with the victory, I'm not happy with this fixture change, HAHA!!

Being from the North East I've booked to fly from Newcastle on the Monday and booked a hotel in Southampton, now all for nothing!

But HEY HOOOOOOO!!!! It'll just cost me more to transfer to the Sunday rather than the Monday :)

COYR!!

Delighted with the result and bring on Scousehampton!!!

A bit naïve given that the club announced Leicester would move again pending the EFL Cup result even as they announced it was being moved to the Monday.

I backed us to win last night. I'm not an optimist (or pessimist obviously) either, I'm a realist. I give realistic predictions and don't let any bias sway me.

I am backing us against over two legs against Liverpool. I just hope Hull can pull off a miraculous upset and knock manure out, as I wouldn't fancy us against manure in the final

Obviously it would have been nice to get Hull in the semi finals but I think the draw may have worked out ok for us. Liverpool are more likely to play an understrengthed team than United, and while they will still be a tough opponent, I can imagine a group of players not playing Klopp's style week-in-week-out might have trouble executing it effectively. United would probably have played for a 0-0 at St Mary's then gone full strength at Old Trafford. Plus I'd fancy our chances more against United at Wembley than a probably full-strength Liverpool.