Arsenal 0-2 Saints - Reaction & Semi Final Draw

Lighthouse

MotM vs Arsenal (League Cup 2016/17 QF Away)  

270 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Arsenal (League Cup 2016/17 QF Away)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Martina
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Clasie
    • Reed
    • Davis
    • Boufal
    • McQueen
    • Long
    • Højbjerg
    • Sims

innit blood!!!

:lol::lol:

That got a few laughs from me. "They were rippin man apart. It's lucky it's only two nil blud, it should've been more! It should've been more blud! It should have been an embarrassing scoreline blud, you understand!?!"

Eloquent.

OK money where your mouth is I bet my 100 to your 20 we don't get to the Final. If you don't take me up that says in your heart you are writing it off too.

You are missing the point. You can cope with your fear of being let down any way you please, the complaint is the idea of coming into a forum full of Saints fans and trying to drag them down with you.

I'm always terrified of losing, but not to the point of not enjoying it when we win. Enjoy the win, enjoy the Semi, and if we lose, moan to your hearts content. Before that, support your sodding football team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see what happens with the date for the 2nd leg. Whilst our match with Leicester has been re-arranged for Sunday at midday, Hull are away to Chelsea at 4pm the same day.

One of us and Hull currently have to play twice in 48 hours....... unless sense takes hold and they swap the Hull & Liverpool fixtures (Sat 12.45pm), so that us & Liverpool both play on Sunday. Meaning we can then play the 2nd leg on Wednesday.

It remains to be seen if common sense prevails

Sorry to be such a killjoy especially after an excellent performance, but realism kicks in early with me, plus I find having low expectations helps when things go pear shape as they invariably do with us. I will be thrilled to be eating these words in Feb and looking forward to "Meltdown Trousers" digging this thread out in the Spring to gloat.

Football loves to throw up a surprise... would have thought a man in your position would have known that better than anyone.

I backed us to win last night. I'm not an optimist (or pessimist obviously) either, I'm a realist. I give realistic predictions and don't let any bias sway me.

Me too. Saw us win and won £45. The odds were wrong, as they were when I put £25 on Sparta last week.

You are missing the point. You can cope with your fear of being let down any way you please, the complaint is the idea of coming into a forum full of Saints fans and trying to drag them down with you.

I'm always terrified of losing, but not to the point of not enjoying it when we win. Enjoy the win, enjoy the Semi, and if we lose, moan to your hearts content. Before that, support your sodding football team.

Supporting your team is not being wildly optimistic on a forum. I give Saints positive supportive going to Europe three times this season and getting vocally behind them in games. That entitles me to vent my fears on a forum surely? If you don't like it go join a 100% happy clappy forum, that way you won't get offended.

Supporting your team is not being wildly optimistic on a forum. I give Saints positive supportive going to Europe three times this season and getting vocally behind them in games. That entitles me to vent my fears on a forum surely? If you don't like it go join a 100% happy clappy forum, that way you won't get offended.

Ah the stock "if you don't like it, go away" response. Excellent stuff.

I'm not offended at all, if you want to be a miserable old fart about your team all of the time then more fool you. I'm all for balance of opinion etc, but being 100% negative all of the time does not show balance at all. "Supporting" your team should be exactly that, "supporting" them. If they play bad, sure, vent, critique, swear a little, but at least show some semblance of being a fan and enjoying the experience.

Nope, you are not allowed to show any realism or upset the happy clappy brigade.

I thought that but....

1. They may well be missing Mané and PC. AND MATIP (Cameroon)

2. As good as their first 11 is, they lack the depth of Utd

3. They look much more likely title contenders and may be focussed on their tough league games either side.

4. Mourinho will be desperate to win something this season and a Cup semi will probably be a high priority

And Matip.

OK money where your mouth is I bet my 100 to your 20 we don't get to the Final. If you don't take me up that says in your heart you are writing it off too.

Liverpool are 2/5 to reach the final with SkyBet. If you take FF's bet and stake say £80 on Liverpool then I reckon you'd be in profit either way :)

Ah the stock "if you don't like it, go away" response. Excellent stuff.

I'm not offended at all, if you want to be a miserable old fart about your team all of the time then more fool you. I'm all for balance of opinion etc, but being 100% negative all of the time does not show balance at all. "Supporting" your team should be exactly that, "supporting" them. If they play bad, sure, vent, critique, swear a little, but at least show some semblance of being a fan and enjoying the experience.

Let's just get this straight. Because I declined to be positive about our chances "all the time" I have no "semblance of being a fan"? OK not sure that is a fair comment but let's press on. Also I am - according to you - "100% negative". Well I am not sure that is valid either (check some of my posts out you might be pleasantly surprised).

Yes I understand you are a optimistic fan who view people like me as some sort of traitor who should be shot at dawn, but please let's not get carried away. I have not taken a double page advert in the Echo predicting doom and gloom for our club. I have not sat next to Sally on her sofa and told BBC South viewers all is lost, nor have I walked the length of the High St with a sandwich board saying there is no point us turning up for the semi-finals and the end is nigh. The world is still turning, the players are not revolting because a "miserable old fart" somewhere in cyber space has dared to suggest we might not win. This is just a forum for view exchanging not a rallying centre for ultra uber fans. (Privately I reckon 80 per cent of people on here think we will probably get beat but dare not say it on here because of fears of being accused in the manner you have accused me.

With the greatest of respect, I have merely expressed doubt that, despite our very enjoyable and praiseworthy win last night, we can overcome a very formidable Liverpool side who we struggled to contain a fortnight ago. I am truly sorry if I have ruined your day, I have obviously shattered something precious, your faith. My sincere apologies.

And believe it or not I will be delighted if you are right and I am wrong and would love in the aftermath of a Saints victory to buy you a pint or three and show you I am a fan just like you who (probably because I am an old fart) tries to keep my feet a little firmer on the ground. It's an age thing, I think there was a time I was just like you, but in those days there were no forums.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the date for the 2nd leg. Whilst our match with Leicester has been re-arranged for Sunday at midday, Hull are away to Chelsea at 4pm the same day.

One of us and Hull currently have to play twice in 48 hours....... unless sense takes hold and they swap the Hull & Liverpool fixtures (Sat 12.45pm), so that us & Liverpool both play on Sunday. Meaning we can then play the 2nd leg on Wednesday.

It remains to be seen if common sense prevails

If there's one thing I've learnt in life it's that common sense is not very common.

On a completely different topic, just how short was our midfield last night? Still bossed it though.

We've got the shortest midfield in the league

And the shortest is Harry Reed*

We've got Harry, and Jordie, and Stevie D

They're shorter than Pogba when he's down on his knees

But they'll kick your arse straight into the sea

When you're down at St Mary's

(Repeat until someone starts singing about Pompey...)

* this may not be true cos Joride is f*cking short, but I can't be *rsed to check...

Privately I reckon 80 per cent of people on here think we will probably get beat but dare not say it on here because of fears of being accused in the manner you have accuse.

I don't think that ever stops anyone. The knee jerk reactions on here are so much more negative than positive. Some of the posts from idiots grate so much it is natural they get abuse.

One of the many pleasing things about a few good results is these fckers flee.

Ticket info for the semi-final home leg: https://southamptonfc.com/matches/2016-17/efl-cup/saints-v-liverpool-2017-01-11/ticket-info

Tickets are on sale in the following order:

1. Tuesday 6th December (9am): Season Ticket holders

2. Monday 12th December (9am): Official Members with a purchase history from the 2016/17 season

3. Wednesday 14th December (9am): Official Members with a purchase history from the 2014/15 season onwards

4. Friday 16th December (9am): Supporters with a purchase history from the 2016/17 season

5. Tuesday 20th December (9am): Supporters with a purchase history from the 2014/15 season onwards

£20.00 for Adults

£18.00 for 18-21 year-olds

£18.00 for Over-65s

£12.00 for Under-18s

Edited by trousers

I don't think that ever stops anyone. The knee jerk reactions on here are so much more negative than positive. Some of the posts from idiots grate so much it is natural they get abuse.

One of the many pleasing things about a few good results is these fckers flee.

Good post.

The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with being negative, critical of tactics, players, team selection etc. and expressing that on the forum. The problem is when certain posters go on and on with the same rhetoric and then disappear when proved wrong. You don't have to be the most optimistic about Saints chances in certain games but at least will wait until a ball has been kicked before throwing the toys out of the pram. I know some on here, do it just for the bites but others must be a nightmare to live with if they act this way in real life (i.e. at the game and not on the internet). These would be terrible people to be around in a crisis, panicking and throwing the towel in at the first sign of adversity.

The biggest thing is that you never see certain posters on here celebrating after a win. Why is that? Why do they clog the board with doom and gloom after a defeat but don't post after a win? Surely if they wanted Saints to win and were genuine supporters they'd do both in equal measures?

To stand any chance at Anfield we have to go out with a positive attacking attitude in the first leg, which means Claude has to change his mind set of just containing Liverpool which we saw a few weeks ago, and to go after them especially when they get tired late in the game. I can't see us managing a 0-0 in the first leg & then getting away goals at Anfield, especially as Klopp is obsessed with becoming their most loved manager and knows he needs to deliver them a trophy this season to start the process.

So we have to make the first leg count, we will all have a part to play in that on the night, so let's get a great atmosphere going and give the turncoats in their team the abuse they deserve to wind them up!

Good post.

The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with being negative, critical of tactics, players, team selection etc. and expressing that on the forum. The problem is when certain posters go on and on with the same rhetoric and then disappear when proved wrong. You don't have to be the most optimistic about Saints chances in certain games but at least will wait until a ball has been kicked before throwing the toys out of the pram. I know some on here, do it just for the bites but others must be a nightmare to live with if they act this way in real life (i.e. at the game and not on the internet). These would be terrible people to be around in a crisis, panicking and throwing the towel in at the first sign of adversity.

The biggest thing is that you never see certain posters on here celebrating after a win. Why is that? Why do they clog the board with doom and gloom after a defeat but don't post after a win? Surely if they wanted Saints to win and were genuine supporters they'd do both in equal measures?

Excellent post....