23:05 train from Waterloo after the Arsenal gane

kwsaint

Was seriously overcrowded - and only 5 carriages. So much so that people could not get on at Clapham. Also 45 minutes late getting to Winchester, and presumably even later further down the line

Just sent a complaint to SWT. Just a bit of thought could have avoided this by running 10 carriages. I was one of the lucky ones with a seat, but there were some seriously squashed people on the train - which was the last one before buses.

Do SWT ever run on time (apart from the 1905 to Weymouth last Sunday with standing room only)? The last few times I have taken one after a game at SMS, they have been so late, that I have managed to catch the preceding train rather than wait 30 minutes at Soton Central.

The whole transport infrastructure was a complete shambles yesterday - queued 20 mins to get into Victoria tube - then get evacuated out of Euston station due to an emergency which took about 30 mins only to told the emergency was over crowding at the station. finally got to the ground to find a queue even after the match had started. Then after the match Highbury station was a joke - luckily when I got to the back of the queue they opened up another route in so managed to get almost to the front of the station much to the annoyance of the 1000's that were waiting in the main queue. could barely breath on the tube to Victoria. Then standing room only back to Brighton.

Still it was worth it :lol:

Was seriously overcrowded - and only 5 carriages. So much so that people could not get on at Clapham. Also 45 minutes late getting to Winchester, and presumably even later further down the line

Just sent a complaint to SWT. Just a bit of thought could have avoided this by running 10 carriages. I was one of the lucky ones with a seat, but there were some seriously squashed people on the train - which was the last one before buses.

Last train back to Salisbury 2 carriages, packed like sardines, had notified SWT that service would be crowded earlier in week and was assured train would be more than 3 carriages so complaint gone in this morning

I did warn everyone on here yesterday ...

But as a daily user of SWT into Waterloo, nothing surprises me and yesterday wasn't anywhere near as bad as it has been before. If you complain, you'll hear nothing back, they are a shambles. They're all a shambles, but at least other train operators compensate you better ...

The London Underground is like that every day now with line closures, strike action and just the sheer numbers of people using the network - you get used to it but there is no solution.

Late night trains from Waterloo to our part of the world have been a nightmare for several years, there are always cancellations of the later trains due to "technical issues" on the line like drivers not reporting in for duty or signal failures. It is not unusual to be diverted through Guildford & Cosham to get home two hours later than expected. What can we do about it? FA that's what, nobody's listening and we are stuck with a Victorian railway system that just does not work properly.

We nearly always drive up to town these days for evening's out because as stressful and costly as it is at least we know we can get home eventually even with the inevitable road closures and diversions through places you've never heard of (like yesterday!!!!). On public transport the only thing that can be guaranteed is that you will suffer massive inconvenience and life-threatening frustration at some point of your journey. Mind you expecting it doesn't make it any less unbearable.

I did warn everyone on here yesterday ...

But as a daily user of SWT into Waterloo, nothing surprises me and yesterday wasn't anywhere near as bad as it has been before. If you complain, you'll hear nothing back, they are a shambles. They're all a shambles, but at least other train operators compensate you better ...

Surely they can't be as bad as Southern trains...

Think yourself lucky if you got on the 23:05.

I couldn't get on it. Got on the next one, and we all got told to get off after a few minutes and go back and get info for the next train. Got on the next train, which after being on it for what seemed an eternity, didn't leave the station because of a problem with the doors. Eventually got on another train, didn't go all the way to Southampton, we had to get off at Basingstoke and get a bus to Southampton.

Got home at 4am. Never again.

Now you know what it's like for Londoners travelling to late Sunday games at Southampton and back, and late Sunday games happen too often, these days. Not to mention four hour long diversions due to 'essential rail improvements'.

SWT no longer care about passenger comfort

Yep, lots of issues occurring at the same time which compounded the situation. The earlier emergency repair work on a broken rail on the mainline at Surbiton also meant that a lot of trains were 'in the wrong place' later in the evening. I ended up walking the 2.5 miles from the stadium to Kings Cross to avoid the crush at Highbury and Islington tube station. The Northern line was a breeze from there. Managed to get on the late running 22:39 from Waterloo which would appear to be the last train before chaos ensued!

#firstworldproblems

:)

We drove up to Cockfosters and got a tube from there, relatively easy and was home at 1230. M3 closed so went via M4 and then to Bstoke on M3.

Which way do you go on the M4? When they shut the M3 i'm in the habit of darting down the A3/Hogsback.

Which way do you go on the M4? When they shut the M3 i'm in the habit of darting down the A3/Hogsback.

As a long-time M4-user, I'd go M4 westbound to Reading J11, then cross country to Basingstoke via A33, Ringway on outskirts of Basingstoke to M3.

There's also the option of continuing on M4 to Chieveley (J13) and going A34 to Winchester, but that's two sides of a right angle instead of the hypotenuse, as it were. :)

Stop moaning - you don't know the meaning of poor service unless you've experienced Southern Railways! :-o

Stop moaning - you don't know the meaning of poor service unless you've experienced Southern Railways! :-o

Fair point. Anyone who is a regular user of Southern Railways has my sympathy. Their treatment of passengers is appalling. I commute to London with SWT. It is generally OK, except that I often don't get a seat at Winchester - but the capacity changes at Waterloo next Summer will help. The problem with SWT is that they set the timetable, then are completely unable to manage problems. And don't plan ahead for times when there are major events. When it goes wrong on SWT (as it did last night), then it tends to go spectacularly wrong. The simply cannot manage anything out of the norm

Fair point. Anyone who is a regular user of Southern Railways has my sympathy. Their treatment of passengers is appalling. I commute to London with SWT. It is generally OK, except that I often don't get a seat at Winchester - but the capacity changes at Waterloo next Summer will help. The problem with SWT is that they set the timetable, then are completely unable to manage problems. And don't plan ahead for times when there are major events. When it goes wrong on SWT (as it did last night), then it tends to go spectacularly wrong. The simply cannot manage anything out of the norm

From this comment am I right to think the "kw" in your name may stand for Kings Worthy?

Was a complete ****** take, likewise I couldn't get on the 23.05 one as was full inside and 30 people by each door trying to get on. Why is it so difficult for them to put on extra carriages knowing there is a game on (or they should know)

Finally got another late train and had to get off at Basingstoke for coach to Soton, really spoilt the day.

Last train back to Salisbury 2 carriages, packed like sardines, had notified SWT that service would be crowded earlier in week and was assured train would be more than 3 carriages so complaint gone in this morning

The 22.20 is usually only 3 carriages, I think,and always seems to be full, even on a quiet night.

And dont even think about it on a night chelsea are at home......

We parked at Farnborough and got train in and out of Waterloo, worked a treat. Didn't leave work until half 4 and made KO, Victoria Line was packed but a simple walk from Finsbury Park. Coming back was odd, stayed and applauded the players off but was back in Southampton by midnight, everyone seemed to queue up for the tube entrance at Finsbury Park which was about a mile long. They obviously didn't realise you could just walk into the National Rail entrance and walk onto the tube that way!