Redmond

Saints foreva

He certainly did more than Sims last night.

When Sims got the ball he caused problems for their defence by trying to take them on. Redmond just checks back and plays a 5 yard pass. When Sims gets it you feel something might happen, when Redmond gets it you don't. Seemed the wrong choice to take Sims off instead of Redmond in my book.

He certainly did more than Sims last night.

Quite.

I didn't understand why Sims was selected when considering the size of the back four and defensive midfielders - big lads. Sims will get better, but in a one on one with a big, quick unit, he's second best all day long.

His level is precisely what it was: in and out of the Norwich team. To get better he needs to actually try and take players on and commit them, but then that is a criticism we could level at the whole team. Perhaps it is the coaching team/manager that should share some of the responsibility

When Sims got the ball he caused problems for their defence by trying to take them on. Redmond just checks back and plays a 5 yard pass. When Sims gets it you feel something might happen, when Redmond gets it you don't. Seemed the wrong choice to take Sims off instead of Redmond in my book.

Redmond took on defenders a fair amount as well, but just like Sims he didn't do very well. Anyway, I wasn't trying to compare Redmond (a fairly experienced young pro) specifically with Sims (17 years old).

Redmond took on defenders a fair amount as well, but just like Sims he didn't do very well. Anyway, I wasn't trying to compare Redmond (a fairly experienced young pro) specifically with Sims (17 years old).

I don't disagree with your post, I was replying to the one that said Redmond did better than Sims last night. Don't think that was the case at all. I just can't get over how one footed he is and how it basically rules out half of his options. Sims has an element of unpredictability about him, whereas you know what Redmond is going to do: run at (not past) the defender, hesitate, cut back, make 5 yard pass inside.

why do we continue to play a completely right footed player on the left wing?

Every time he beats the full back, which he does quite often, he has to check back and cross with his right, which is often blocked. I know there is the possibility of coming inside and shooting on his stronger foot, but that area is congested and opponents can quickly see he has no left foot (he doesn't even throw in the odd left foot cross to keep the full back honest) so are already there waiting. Get him on the right wing and simplify his game - beat man cross, beat man cross etc..

why do we continue to play a completely right footed player on the left wing?

Every time he beats the full back, which he does quite often, he has to check back and cross with his right, which is often blocked. I know there is the possibility of coming inside and shooting on his stronger foot, but that area is congested and opponents can quickly see he has no left foot (he doesn't even throw in the odd left foot cross to keep the full back honest) so are already there waiting. Get him on the right wing and simplify his game - beat man cross, beat man cross etc..

IIRC he scored a goal against in 13/14 season cutting inside from the left wing. Left JWP and Chambers for dead :lol:

No he didn't. Sims got pushed off the ball too easily and gave the ball away often last night. Redmond did the same but for longer and not as well.

neither were terribly effective, Saints fans are just a littler more forgiving of Sims.

In all honesty our attack as a whole is struggling, not just Redmond. They are very static and there is very little fluidity from the front four, with players sticking firmly to their sides/positions making opponents lives easy.

The attack is also very one paced and when we get the chance to break or get between the lines, especially when having made an interception we don't take that opportunity. We slow things down and allow teams to get behind the ball. Once they do that, we are not good enough to break them down.

Redmond is a decent player and with patience become a very good player.The fans could be a factor fo holding him back by putting him under pressure.

Was it the fans that made him try a stupid bisecting 3 defenders pass and giving it away when he had Davis simple 10 yard pass away then bollock Bertrand.....jeesh if he perfoms well he gets cheered if he constantly fcks up like lately he will get moaned at simple really.

I get no-one plays better by being moaned at but there is a limit....Duncan expresses it perfectly above.

Fitzhugh Fella View Post

Feel for the lad but Puel and Reed stupidly raised expectations comparing him to Henry. Redmond is a useful squad player, he has been massively overplayed.

He beat a number of players last night with skill and trickery, it was after he beat the player that was the major problem.

Slowed the play down, took way too many touches, delivered a very poor pass or cross. Sims had a poor game but has been great since he came in, hence he has a few credits!

We've been here before.

Jim Hone told me once that Lucien Mettomo would 'do a job for us'.

That's exactly the correct explanation for Redmond at the moment - he makes up the numbers.

But, that's not good enough for what we need.

No way of dressing it up - his age is irrelevant in terms of 'needing time' - Theo was 16 when he broke through, Redmond has 6 years on that and strikes me as a player who's been told since he was a teenager that he's wonderful, and he believes it.

I refer the honourable Saints Web posters above to the evidence - courtesy of 'Dave' outside SMS last night...

Edited by Channon's Sideburns

no way on earth would he have been a starter last season.

now he is our Henry!!!

He wouldn't be a starter for any of the sides we've had since we returned to the Premier League.

I made it clear on here that I didn't rate him while he was being linked and was given **** when I said we overpaid at £10m. I've got to be honest, after seeing him more regularly now, he's even worse than I thought. He has no attacking brain. He kills our attacks.

He wouldn't be a starter for any of the sides we've had since we returned to the Premier League.

I made it clear on here that I didn't rate him while he was being linked and was given **** when I said we overpaid at £10m. I've got to be honest, after seeing him more regularly now, he's even worse than I thought. He has no attacking brain. He kills our attacks.

How do you explain at least 2 times he's been highlighted on MOTD as being our main threat & a good buy. Picked out by pundits who are ex pros. Now I realise that expros who make their living watching and commenting on players aren't as knowledgable as you , a bloke who posts on a football forum , but perhaps this indicates he isn't as bad as you make out

How do you explain at least 2 times he's been highlighted on MOTD as being our main threat & a good buy. Picked out by pundits who are ex pros. Now I realise that expros who make their living watching and commenting on players aren't as knowledgable as you , a bloke who posts on a football forum , but perhaps this indicates he isn't as bad as you make out

To what extent these pundits actually watch the full 95 minutes in complete detail, between full time at 5pm and MOTD at 10.30pm I'm not sure. Especially when they have 5 or 6 full games to watch.

I've seen many a highlights package when certain players did indeed look a lot better than they were.

To what extent these pundits actually watch the full 95 minutes in complete detail, between full time at 5pm and MOTD at 10.30pm I'm not sure. Especially when they have 5 or 6 full games to watch.

I've seen many a highlights package when certain players did indeed look a lot better than they were.

People too easily forgetting how good he was earlier in the season. Finishing was poor but everything else was exceptional - last month though his confidence and form has taken an absolute nosedive, probably because he expected himself to be scoring regularly by now.

I'm still going to give him till next season to show what he can do. Rodriguez was sh*te first time round for us, it was only the season after he signed he did well. Mane as well, to a lesser extent.

Is this one of those "He's the new Ali Dia" threads?

Last one turned out well, eh?

like it. Not sure why he has been singled out for so much vitriol. Saints fans always need a whipping boy. Hojbjerg has been much worse IMO (but lets not go down that route).

That said I have to agree with those that didn't think he was a starter and certainly not a striker. He's got long term promise, but failing to get into Norwich's starting line up countless times last season tells you everything about where he is right now in his career.

Sadly we have very few options in forward areas. Austin is now injured and quite static anyway. Tadic is just coming back from injury. No goals from Davis goes without saying, but he's not one to unlock many defences either. Long runs around, but is hardly creative, Rodriguez obviously struggling to get back to his best and Boufal not yet up to full speed ...on bad day our attack looks quite limited really. Hopefully Puel can find a way of getting the best out of what he has quickly.

People too easily forgetting how good he was earlier in the season. Finishing was poor but everything else was exceptional - last month though his confidence and form has taken an absolute nosedive, probably because he expected himself to be scoring regularly by now.

I'm still going to give him till next season to show what he can do. Rodriguez was sh*te first time round for us, it was only the season after he signed he did well. Mane as well, to a lesser extent.

good point. Would be good to have someone pushing him for a place though. Not sure Sims is the answer (yet). Boufal is the key...

The fact he can beat a man all ends up provides me with confidence, he just needs to improve what he does after he has beaten the man.

He really wasn't. He has been at best average, at worst very poor so far this season. Remembering him as being excellent at any time this season would suggest a memory problem.

He started doing well but he was not exceptional at anything. Form totally nosedived after the City game. He needs to get his nut down, work hard and stop ****ing moaning at his team mates.

like it. Not sure why he has been singled out for so much vitriol. Saints fans always need a whipping boy. Hojbjerg has been much worse IMO (but lets not go down that route).

That said I have to agree with those that didn't think he was a starter and certainly not a striker. He's got long term promise, but failing to get into Norwich's starting line up countless times last season tells you everything about where he is right now in his career.

Sadly we have very few options in forward areas. Austin is now injured and quite static anyway. Tadic is just coming back from injury. No goals from Davis goes without saying, but he's not one to unlock many defences either. Long runs around, but is hardly creative, Rodriguez obviously struggling to get back to his best and Boufal not yet up to full speed ...on bad day our attack looks quite limited really. Hopefully Puel can find a way of getting the best out of what he has quickly.

I think Hoj has received less stick because

1 - He isn't perceived as Mané's replacement

2 - he came from Bayern and not Norwich and is seen as a more ambitious signing.

3 - unlike Redmond, he has been far from ever present in the team.

4 - he doesn't play so far forward and the expectation of him to provide goals is less.

5 - he didn't arrive as a known Premier League entity with an average to poor reputation.

None the less, most people who've watched us regularly have noted his poor form of late.

None the less, most people who've watched us regularly have noted his poor form of late.

Totally agree. When he first joined us he put in some cracking displays that made you realise why he had been at Bayern and why Guardiola was meant to be a fan. Since then he's done the complete opposite of what you would expect in that his performances have declined. He seems to be stuck out on the right of whatever formation we are currently calling it and he seems lost. Like others I think the 'rotation' is also hurting him. I'm sure he has the potential to be a huge asset for us but something is not clicking right now and whether that's any of the above or the coaching and direction he's getting who knows.

Tbf on Redmond he is as good as he has always been . He was poor at Norwich and is the same now .

Reed believed his own hype and bought him at an inflated cost . My theory is that Reed is the one who decided he was the next Henry rather than Puel, hence why he is immune to the rotation policy .

The criticism of Redmond is unfair . He has never been very good . Not his fault that he isn't.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Tbf on Redmond he is as good as he has always been . He was poor at Norwich and is the same now .

Reed believed his own hype and bought him at an inflated cost . My theory is that Reed is the one who decided he was the next Henry rather than Puel, hence why he is immune to the rotation policy .

The criticism of Redmond is unfair . He has never been very good . Not his fault that he isn't.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

You may right that someone like Reed has earmarked Redmond and probably JWP as young English players who will fit the Southampton way. Look at the young English players at Spurs....Winks, Ali, Dier...they all look like they belong at Prem level; you cannot say that about NR and JWP. What I take from that is Mitchell is a better judge of a Footballer than Reed and our current recruiting team.

i wasnt at the game but the bits I saw on tv showed him to be the major influence, the problem being if Austin iswell marked there is little other threat.

Redmond does not deserve to be the player who takes the stick.

So you only saw highlights yet can comment on why he is getting stick? As the saying goes "you should have been there" maybe then you could see why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you only saw highlights yet can comment on why he is getting stick? As the saying goes "you should have been there" maybe then you could see why.

Ron I thought you were better than 'You werent there' Tv is not the best way but the high lights show the positive things of the game and he was involved in a lot of those. Sitting amongst the partizan crowd can give you a scewed view of things and a lot of the morons wouldnt know which way you should kick the ball

Redmond was terrible on Thursday night, why beat someone then give the same person a second or third chance to get the ball off of you?

His night was summed up for me in the first half when we got the ball back from one of their attacks and to him & were 2 on 2 with their defence, sims held his run perfectly, there was a 30 foot gap between their centre backs and he hit his 'through' ball straight at one of them.

He needs time out of the team, as at the moment he's responsible for blunting a lot of our attacks and needs to discover how to be dangerous. Wonder if Rod Wallace is available to come & give him a bit of coaching? :-)

I wonder if the ones getting on his back are the same ones chanting "Alex Oxlaide Chamberlain he's one of our own" every time we play arsenal? Why do we have some many fans who are complete p*icks?

Are you sure that's not the Arsenal fans? They are totally convinced he is a product of their academy....

Ron I thought you were better than 'You werent there' Tv is not the best way but the high lights show the positive things of the game and he was involved in a lot of those. Sitting amongst the partizan crowd can give you a scewed view of things and a lot of the morons wouldnt know which way you should kick the ball

Read it again You don't see the same things as being there certainly not all his whinging at own teammates. Not having pop u not there but more you don't see same things remotely

Redmond was terrible on Thursday night, why beat someone then give the same person a second or third chance to get the ball off of you?

His night was summed up for me in the first half when we got the ball back from one of their attacks and to him & were 2 on 2 with their defence, sims held his run perfectly, there was a 30 foot gap between their centre backs and he hit his 'through' ball straight at one of them.

He needs time out of the team, as at the moment he's responsible for blunting a lot of our attacks and needs to discover how to be dangerous. Wonder if Rod Wallace is available to come & give him a bit of coaching? :-)

Disagree. That was a very tricky through ball. If anything Sims should have pulled off the CB, not stayed so central.

The thing that annoys me about him is every time he gives it away he screams at his teammates. I disagree about the all to sims that was a difficult pass to make however there was a time when he was on the left wing, had a simple ball back to Bertrand or a sideways pass to Davis and he tried an impossible pass to slip it between two defenders gave it away, then screamed at Bertrand for not moving.

I genuinely think there is a good player in there somewhere, he can beat a man but most of the time his final ball or shooting is dreadful. I'm also concerned about his attitude of blaming others when things go wrong doesn't strike me as someone who thinks he still has a lot to learn in the game which at 22 he most definitely has. Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence but he seems to be a bit of spoilt brat who already thinks he's better than he is.

I haven't forgot that but he's been really poor for at least the last 2 months and he's played most of those games.