Redmond

Saints foreva

The bloke has attitude which gets in the way of his performance. I'm not sure why he always wants to be the centre of attention but he does and the cameras always seem to pick up on it whereas a chap like Yoshida who just gets on with it quietly never gets a close-up on screen. If you watch clips from the training ground it is nearly always Redmond who is larking about in front of camera rather than concentrating on what he is supposed to be doing. If it is just cockiness and he thinks he's the next Ronaldo then somebody should remind him that he isn't all that good and not even the best player on our team. He'll mature one day and might then be a half-decent player.

I am very happy to be wrong about Redmond but I think we need a longer period of assessment. He's been very good over the last 3-4 games but he was bloody dreadful around November/December time with the pinnacle of that being the Be'er Sheva and Sparta Prague performances where he was absolutely woeful.

As for Boufal 'getting a free pass' that's a bit unfair bordering on complete BS. For comparison purposes here's their relative stats:

Boufal has made 10 apps in all comps, scoring 2 and assisting 1

Redmond has made 30 apps in all comps scoring 6 and assisting 1.

He's hardly killing Boufal in the stats department and had it been for some more movement up front (especially against Palace where Boufal was all over them for about 30 mins) and not having 3 layoffs due to injury I am sure he would have had a lot more. I am all for hoping that Redmonds great run continues but I am hoping to see a lot more of a fully fit Boufal too and gladly giving him the time (a free pass if you will) to show what he can do.

I concede to your point about game time. It is true that due to injury and international commitments Boufal hasn't had a consistent run in the team. Furthermore, Puel seems to play Redmond whatever his form.

For the record I haven't written off Boufal, far from it. He has good spells when he's almost unplayable, but i'd like to see these spells last a whole game and not 30 mins here and there. I'd also like to see him release the ball a little earlier. I think with addition of super Gabbs we'll see all the offensive midfielders improve. His movement is a dream and a focal point for incisive passes. They all suffered earlier in the season because the frontline was too static.

Looking forward to seeing a front four of Gabbs, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, but probably will not happen at spurs though.

I concede to your point about game time. It is true that due to injury and international commitments Boufal hasn't had a consistent run in the team. Furthermore, Puel seems to play Redmond whatever his form.

For the record I haven't written off Boufal, far from it. He has good spells when he's almost unplayable, but i'd like to see these spells last a whole game and not 30 mins here and there. I'd also like to see him release the ball a little earlier. I think with addition of super Gabbs we'll see all the offensive midfielders improve. His movement is a dream and a focal point for incisive passes. They all suffered earlier in the season because the frontline was too static.

Looking forward to seeing a front four of Gabbs, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, but probably will not happen at spurs though.

That's a bit harsh - you basically want to see him be one of the top players of all time! He just needs to be almost unplayable all game and that will be cool with you? Yeah, I would say that would be acceptable!

I agree more about releasing the ball and, as you suggest, I think errors in that area may be partly informed by a lack of confidence in the abilities of some his team mates this season.

For what it's worth, I think he's been good this season - especially for an injury interrupted, first season in a foreign league. He's scored a couple of absolute belters and been heavily involved in a fair few more goals.

By way of example, he's been better than, say, Cedric was in his first season in England.

As you say, if he gets a run in the team with an in-form striker in front of him he should do really well. His "ceiling"/potential, whatever, is up there with the best in the league.

Next season is looking promising if we can avoid mass departures in the summer.

Unplayable all game, every game....I appreciate that may have come across as a bit demanding of me. The point I tried and failed to make was that i'd like him to be more consistent. Redmond was often criticized for aborting an attack in favour of retaining possession. Boufal seems the opposite, if nothing is on he tries to push it. Fantastic when it comes off but does lead to problems when it results in lost possession and in the PL that happens more often than not. I'm not saying we should be risk adverse, just that there is a balance to be found and this will be achieved with more game time and experience.

Boufal clearly has unbelievable talent or 'class' if that is what is meant by that term. Only in glimpses so far though. When he came on against Swansea he looked incredible.

Far too soon to write off but that won't stop many. Come to think of it who of the flare type players haven't been written off? Mane and Redmond were.

Nobody is writing him off, but we had all this "clearly has talent " pony with Gaston. Talent without application & mental toughness will get you nowhere in the English game. I am not writing him off, but can you honestly say we won't still be discussing him in a similar way in a years time? You never know the Swansea game could become his Villa game. And if you read back through the Redmond threads I was one of those backing him , and took stick for it. Redmond worked hard and was up to it physically, I'm not sure Boufall is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Well it isn't misleading is it. And you can do a number of things like successful dribbles, pass % etc etc etc to your hearts content and the stats still come out relatively similar. I agree, it isn't the be all and end all but to write off a guy who has a total of 10 apps in the prem when he quite clearly has the talent is well, odd. We don't appreciate skillful players here much do we.
where do I write him off, I have posted every time in support of him. He is a class player and will become a very important player

Nobody is writing him off, but we had all this "clearly has talent " pony with Gaston. Talent without application & mental toughness will get you nowhere in the English game. I am not writing him off, but can you honestly say we won't still be discussing him in a similar way in a years time? You never know the Swansea game could become his Villa game. And if you read back through the Redmond threads I was one of those backing him , and took stick for it. Redmond worked hard and was up to it physically, I'm not sure Boufall is

Mane also took stick at the start, some of it not unreasonable too. You're not wrong in what you say about needing application, but for me there are fewer question marks about his in-game attitude (throwing a strop in frustration is better than not being bothered, for example) than about his ability to adapt his game. And there are plenty of reasons to think that a young player can eventually be coached, or learn, to 'do less' - his main problem at the moment is he tries to do too much all the time, plenty of players have exhibited similar traits, with varying results - for every Ronaldo there is also a Nani!

Don't take it so personally - generally players get written off hastily.

He may go way of Gaston but also could eclipse Mane. We live in hope. I think he's going to be a great addition.

Fans behind me at Sunderland game were slagging him off and then scores the goal no one else on that pitch could score.

And for record I always had faith in Redmond too. Never wants to hide.

Don't take it so personally - generally players get written off hastily.

He may go way of Gaston but also could eclipse Mane. We live in hope. I think he's going to be a great addition.

Fans behind me at Sunderland game were slagging him off and then scores the goal no one else on that pitch could score.

And for record I always had faith in Redmond too. Never wants to hide.

That's what I like about him. He's always looking for the ball even when things weren't going well.

Several of the Sunday papers this week speculating that Redmond is set to be included in the England squad to be announced on Thursday for the friendly away to Germany in Dortmund and qualifier at home to Lithuania. I'm not convinced myself but would be a good boost for a player that seems to thrive on confidence.

Apparently Southgate rates him highly along with Ward-Prowse, if they both get a call up along with Forster and Bertrand would that be a record for Saints to have four players in an England squad?

Several of the Sunday papers this week speculating that Redmond is set to be included in the England squad to be announced on Thursday for the friendly away to Germany in Dortmund and qualifier at home to Lithuania. I'm not convinced myself but would be a good boost for a player that seems to thrive on confidence.

Apparently Southgate rates him highly along with Ward-Prowse, if they both get a call up along with Forster and Bertrand would that be a record for Saints to have four players in an England squad?

It could be a record. Trying to think as we did have Shaw, Lambert and Lallana at one point. (Immediately before they all moved on.)

If Andros Townsend can play for England, then Redmond certainly deserves a go.

It could be a record. Trying to think as we did have Shaw, Lambert and Lallana at one point. (Immediately before they all moved on.)

Jrod too !?

I really can't see Forster getting a call up. Heaton, Butland, Foster, Hart and Pickford must all be ahead of him.

I'm pretty sure we did have Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and Jay Rod all in same squad!

I went to the England vs Germany game at Wembley in 2013 (where Mertesacker scored the winner), and fairly sure all of them was in squad that night!

I remember being immensely proud that day- even wore my Saints top over my England one- now to think of where these players are :(

EDIT: Shaw may have been injured I think

Edited by nta786

I'm pretty sure we had 4 in the starting 11 for a friendly in the 80's . Memory a bit hazy, perhaps someone else can remember. Off the top of my head , Shilts, Mark Wright , Stevie Williams and David Armstrong. Maybe wrong and dreamt it . Any other old fossils help?

I'm sure I've seen a photo of LS, RL, AL, JR and JWP all holding an England shirt, the latter being U-21 capt. at that point.

With Austin and J Rod fit and in any sort of form, we could easily have 6 players in the England squad. Competition up front is hardly intense, people are talking about Andre Grey getting a game.

To think we once didn't have room in the squad for Ferdinand, Fowler, Andy Cole, Le Tiss and Collymore.

I'm sure I've seen a photo of LS, RL, AL, JR and JWP all holding an England shirt, the latter being U-21 capt. at that point.

With Austin and J Rod fit and in any sort of form, we could easily have 6 players in the England squad. Competition up front is hardly intense, people are talking about Andre Grey getting a game.

To think we once didn't have room in the squad for Ferdinand, Fowler, Andy Cole, Le Tiss and Collymore.

Jay Rod has absolutely no chance. He's not the player he was before injury and he's not happy atm.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2017/mar/15/england-squad-gareth-southgate-five-outsiders

Nathan Redmond

He may be a long shot, but when it comes to players Gareth Southgate has been able to trust in England colours, Nathan Redmond ranks highly. The Southampton player was consistently one of the top performers for the Under-21s under Southgate and he is among a select few who have not frozen on the international stage for England. Indeed, England flopped at the U21 European Championship in 2015, but Redmond performed admirably to earn a place in Uefa’s team of the tournament.

That was nearly two year ago, but the winger has been in good form of late. His man-of-the-match showing against Watford in Southampton’s last match was well timed, with a brace in that game helping to give Southampton a 4-3 win. He has only scored five goals in the league this season, so his finishing needs work. He has only provided one assist this season but that owes a great deal to poor finishing from his team-mates, with the youngster having created the most chances from open play (43) of any Englishman in the Premier League.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
He was no worse than the rest today except Boufal who was our best

He literally set up one of the Spurs goals from the edge of their penalty area. There were some shocking performances out there but that was a dreadful mistake to make.

He hasn’t got a football brain, it’s as simple as that. He constantly makes the wrong decisions. What he did against Huddersfield when he broke away and squared it for Austin to miss is what he should be doing, never mind cutting in, just get to the bye line or as near as and get the ball in the box. It’s not rocket science.

Not sure why he was singled out for booing. Forster and Stephens were terrible. Long was terrible. Yoshida wasn't great etc...

Probably because he has been consistently awful all season. I'm struggling to think of any positive contribution he's made except for the run against Huddersfield. The other players you've listed have all turned in decent performances at some point this season. Redmond's terrible attitude on the pitch doesn't help him - his first reaction is to mouth off to someone else.

Also, Forster gets his fair share of ironic cheering from the fans so its hardly unique treatment.

Not sure why he was singled out for booing. Forster and Stephens were terrible. Long was terrible. Yoshida wasn't great etc...

Think it's down to the perceived wisdom that he think's he's the dogs ******** but his performances suggest he is anything but. Moaning at others definitely doesn't help though he does seem to have reined that in.

Just because Redmond is the worst in the team. When we are laughing at west ham getting Fonte and Westbrom getting Jrod from us, norwich are laughing at us taking Redmond from them and treating him like Henry the King and starting him every match. Jesus.