Selling Club

spyinthesky

Discussing this 'handle' last night after the disappointment of the afternoon.

It was agreed that we are all mightily cheesed off that a succession of players have been sold off and, had they stayed, we might actually have moved forward at a quicker pace than at present.

That said if the club had not invested in the Academy and instead bought a succession of duffers, with little or no sell on value (it is accepted we have had a few unfortunately!!), we would be in a worse place than we are.

So the consensus was, we should be proud of the club's policy even though it is grates when good players are sold off.

As Graham Souness said in his Sunday Times column today, Saints fans are a fair bunch with reasonable expectations and that is a good reputation to have for managers and players alike.

The day I'll get worried is when we have a team full of players that none of the 'big 6' want and the 'exodus' grinds to a halt.

Our 'selling club' policy is a symbol of our success rather than a failure.

IMHO of course.

Edited by trousers

The day I'll get worried is when we have a team full of players that none of the 'big 6' want and the 'exodus' grinds to a halt.

IMHO of course.

Yep, nothing better rhan to watch your club make money.

IMHO of course.

Easily pleased. I suppose your idea of a good time is lying on your back with your feet and arms in the air having your tummy tickled!

IMHO of course.

You forget that the really thick, of which there are many, think we can keep our players regardless. They really fail to understand how the club is structured or that players want to play for the really big clubs, of which we will never be one, despite said morons telling all-comers that we "could be one".

Easily pleased. I suppose your idea of a good time is lying on your back with your feet and arms in the air having your tummy tickled!

Funnily enough, that's on the agenda in the Trousers household for tomorrow evening. It's a special pre-Christmas treat from Lady Trousers. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't tried it.

I'm happy with the position we're making for ourselves.

We could soon find ourselves becoming the chosen destination for Europe's top young talent: play at Saints for 2-3 years, experience Europe, develop, move to a CL club.

For me that'd be a decent identity to forge (if it comes with regular European football, top 8 finishes and cup runs).

I'd rather that than be a 'nothing' club like Stoke/WBA/Everton/Palace.

:lol:

Genuinely astounds me that so many of our "fans" seem to almost celebrate our selling policy

I'm a Saints fan not a business fan - no that doesn't mean "do a Pompey" and get in huge debt, it simply mean stop selling our best players to our competition and if you absolutely have to sell once in a while lets reinvest the money received not bank 30-50%

We will look back on this period as an opportunity missed, unless we change our policy very very soon

Yep, nothing better rhan to watch your club make money.

Nothing better than watching your club have seven successive seasons (Since the owners took over) of higher year on year finishes, build out the club infrastructure, qualify for Europe twice and repay the debt (Yes debt) that the club is in, to ultimately achieve this as completely self funded project, whilst at the same time build a squad worth 200 million. As mentioned before, simply incredible and unbelievable and probably unrivaled anywhere in the world.

I'm with you all the way Saint Billy :lol::lol::lol::lol:

IMHO of course.

Yes, like a year after we were relegated

Nothing better than watching your club have seven successive seasons (Since the owners took over) of higher year on year finishes, build out the club infrastructure, qualify for Europe twice and repay the debt (Yes debt) that the club is in, to ultimately achieve this as completely self funded project, whilst at the same time build a squad worth 200 million. As mentioned before, simply incredible and unbelievable and probably unrivaled anywhere in the world.

You forget that the really thick, of which there are many, think we can keep our players regardless. They really fail to understand how the club is structured or that players want to play for the really big clubs, of which we will never be one, despite said morons telling all-comers that we "could be one".

You don't need a great past to have a great future! Just ask RB Leipzig

To simply accept we are little Southampton and only here to develop and test players for the proper / big boys. What's the point?

Give me a comparable example ..................

what, a team getting bought by a billionaire, racking up pretty decent sized debt in getting promoted to the top tier and getting into europe with the 20th most expensive squad in world football (or something like that)

all comes down to money. Hardly unique

what, a team getting bought by a billionaire, racking up pretty decent sized debt in getting promoted to the top tier and getting into europe with the 20th most expensive squad in world football (or something like that)

all comes down to money. Hardly unique

Really ..... so should be very easy for you to give me a comparable example.................Over to you.

We could soon find ourselves becoming the chosen destination for Europe's top young talent: play at Saints for 2-3 years, experience Europe, develop, move to a CL club.

For me that'd be a decent identity to forge (if it comes with regular European football, top 8 finishes and cup runs).

Worth remembering that Spurs were pretty much exactly where we are now 5-10 years ago, at this level.

Leicester - aka current league champions

Ah that will be the ones fighting a relegation battle according to their manager, Let me make it simple for you..... I've posted the criteria twice, but I understand you might not have grasped it yet, so lets try a third time;

Seven higher year on year finishes, build out the club infrastructure, qualify for Europe twice and repay the debt (Yes debt) that the club is in, to ultimately achieve this as completely self funded project, whilst at the same time build a squad worth 200 million. As mentioned before, simply incredible and unbelievable and probably unrivaled anywhere in the world.

Over to you........... and the cook.

Leicester or even Bournemouth

Swansea? like Leicester, have a major trophy to show for it

there you go

Stick to cooking ........what on earth are you on about.

Seven higher year on year finishes, build out the club infrastructure, qualify for Europe twice and repay the debt (Yes debt) that the club is in, to ultimately achieve this as completely self funded project, whilst at the same time build a squad worth 200 million. As mentioned before, simply incredible and unbelievable and probably unrivaled anywhere in the world.

Leicester or even Bournemouth

Swansea? like Leicester, have a major trophy to show for it

there you go

Bournemouth and Swansea aren't in Europe and haven't got squads worth over £200million, nor did they have 7 years of consecutive improvement.

Leicester was an absolute fluke, a one in a million, and you know it. Pray tell, what did they do summer before last that we can copy? Have a squad of players that had barely escaped relegation and nobody wanted, then go back to 90s style kick and rush football? Fantastic.

Bournemouth and Swansea aren't in Europe and haven't got squads worth over £200million, nor did they have 7 years of consecutive improvement.

Leicester was an absolute fluke, a one in a million, and you know it. Pray tell, what did they do summer before last that we can copy? Have a squad of players that had barely escaped relegation and nobody wanted, then go back to 90s style kick and rush football? Fantastic.

swansea were in Europe and have won something of significance on their rise to the top table.

As for Leicester, fluke or not, it happened

Forum joke as you well know.

You have the criteria - The one you mocked , now give me a comparable example......................

joke about what?

is a job as a cook something to laugh at????

I am not one but have massive respect for those who do the job in pretty testing conditions and as such, if they were not there, nothing would happen

swansea were in Europe and have won something of significance on their rise to the top table.

As for Leicester, fluke or not, it happened

And we may yet do the same, are we in the semi finals of the same competition they won or was that the alternate dimension I like to visit sometimes in which you don't exist?

WTF is your point with Leicester then? That every single season we DON'T win the league by fluke, we should sack everyone and start again?

And we may yet do the same, are we in the semi finals of the same competition they won or was that the alternate dimension I like to visit sometimes in which you don't exist?

WTF is your point with Leicester then? That every single season we DON'T win the league by fluke, we should sack everyone and start again?

and Leicester pished their Champions League group. so another year of improvement for them if the cups count?

where did I say anything about sacking anyone. Just pointing out that throwing loads of money at a club with already premier league facilities and a bit of luck is not unique.....very good work but not unique in "world football"

joke about what?

is a job as a cook something to laugh at????

I am not one but have massive respect for those who do the job in pretty testing conditions and as such, if they were not there, nothing would happen

And the comparable example is ??

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stick to cooking ........what on earth are you on about.

Nobody is denying we've done great in recent years - but where do we go now? So many seem content to just rest, perhaps train and test a few for the big clubs.

We have no history of success so don't and won't get any in the future ******.

We are not unique - Leicester have done better than us, Man City were in league 1 too not long ago. Swansea have won a cup and had Europe games

Everyone talks about the last 7 years like we had nothing before.... we did in fact we finished 8th and had a cup final and Europe 12 years ago so all we've really done is return to where we were

And the comparable example is ??

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

lets agree to disagree.

if you think Southampton are some sort of 'unparalleled club' in the whole of the world. good for you.

Man city are another who have gone from League 1 and improved year upon year on and off the pitch

you sound like a Liverpool fan

and Leicester pished their Champions League group. so another year of improvement for them if the cups count?

where did I say anything about sacking anyone. Just pointing out that throwing loads of money at a club with already premier league facilities and a bit of luck is not unique.....very good work but not unique in "world football"

You still haven't provided an example of a single club that meets all of Gemmels criteria by the way. One or two separate ones, but not all.

As for Leicester, yes they did...and if we'd put our strongest team out in every Europa game and f*cked our league campaign, we may well have qualified two games ago.

I don't mind the policy as we have been doing well and selling these stars is a sign that they, and in turn us, have done great, of course I would love these stars we make to stay here and compete for us, but in reality that isn't possible without breaking the wage budgets considerably.

I will admit though, that I am very scared it can go wrong one year- whether that is the wrong manager or wrong transfers- it is a very high risk strategy, even if we do plan all our transfers etc in advance, you still never know how they will do.

For a club like us, we are as close to top 6 as we are to relegation.

Nobody is denying we've done great in recent years - but where do we go now? So many seem content to just rest, perhaps train and test a few for the big clubs.

We have no history of success so don't and won't get any in the future ******.

We are not unique - Leicester have done better than us, Man City were in league 1 too not long ago. Swansea have won a cup and had Europe games

Everyone talks about the last 7 years like we had nothing before.... we did in fact we finished 8th and had a cup final and Europe 12 years ago so all we've really done is return to where we were

We had one season of europe (which we got nowhere in) in our best ever season at the time. Little bit different to finishing 8th, 7th, 6th and playing in Europe 2 seasons running.

I really don't get your point with the above (well I do, you're trolling - I just can't resist proving people wrong), what do you propose we do? No-ones suggesting we never try to win anything, just that we're not going to be able to hold onto top, top players by paying huge wages and so going all out for top 4 would be ridiculous. Our best bet is to maintain our position, try to improve our squad slowly and subtly and aim to win a cup or two along the way.

You still haven't provided an example of a single club that meets all of Gemmels criteria by the way. One or two separate ones, but not all.

As for Leicester, yes they did...and if we'd put our strongest team out in every Europa game and f*cked our league campaign, we may well have qualified two games ago.

We are only a couple of points and places above Leicester

We had one season of europe (which we got nowhere in) in our best ever season at the time. Little bit different to finishing 8th, 7th, 6th and playing in Europe 2 seasons running.

I really don't get your point with the above (well I do, you're trolling - I just can't resist proving people wrong), what do you propose we do? No-ones suggesting we never try to win anything, just that we're not going to be able to hold onto top, top players by paying huge wages and so going all out for top 4 would be ridiculous. Our best bet is to maintain our position, try to improve our squad slowly and subtly and aim to win a cup or two along the way.

there was life before the premier league you know

Why? Leicester have managed it, Spurs too - niether pay players 200k a week

Spurs just gave Kane 100k week contract, not to forget Lloris, Toby, Vertonghen, Eriksen all around the 90k mark, as have Leicester who have Drinkwater, Mahrez, Vardy, Slimani all on 90k plus.

Our best get around £70k max I'd say.

Nothing better than to witness a constant stream of players coming and going not to mention managers. I really do look forward to watching players settling in over a period of months and also having to adapt to yet another managers new philosophy.

Who needs stability or consistency when you have fans still celebrating getting back into the premiership and being content enough with that.

Spurs just gave Kane 100k week contract, not to forget Lloris, Toby, Vertonghen, Eriksen all around the 90k mark, as have Leicester who have Drinkwater, Mahrez, Vardy, Slimani all on 90k plus.

Our best get around £70k max I'd say.

We can't compete with Leicester on wages?

there was life before the premier league you know

Ffs.

Yes there was, and although that was just a poor choice of phrase where we finished in the 80s is completely irrelevant to our aims and ambitions today. The game as a whole is totally different let alone the state of Southampton FC.

It would be nice to let the children go into another room and have this discussion.

We absolutely are a selling club, but we have made a success of it where others have failed. There are plenty of 'buying clubs' who have failed too, so we have to consider ourselves lucky to have found something that has produced success. As frustrating as it is to watch good players go so regularly, it has worked. Whether we could have done even better by standing firm on this player or that is for the birds.

lets agree to disagree.

if you think Southampton are some sort of 'unparalleled club' in the whole of the world. good for you.

Man city are another who have gone from League 1 and improved year upon year on and off the pitch

you sound like a Liverpool fan

No lets not.

Lets agree that I posted a criteria that was unrivaled in world football and you mocked me, but were then unable to come close to another team in the World that has matched us.

Let's agree that you are a bit of kn0b, that doesn't actually go to many matches but has lots of opinions that amount to nothing. So much so that you had had to change your user name and then spend 3 months denying it, until you had to come clean.

it is about 12.5m euros for being in the CL groups.

you sure we cannot get close to that, given our significant negative net spends over the last couple of summers

Delldays - You are thick as a plank - Negative spends have nothing to do with the FFP.

If we really dare to dream, then our model should be Atletico Madrid. They'll never be able to compete financially with Barca and Real, but they are serious players in European football.

Our biggest challenge is that there are too many mega-rich clubs in the Premier league and that means it's hard to qualify for the Champions League in the first place to get access to the money that gets you to the next level. Will be interesting to see how wisely Leicester invest their financial bonanza.

What we have instead of course is the academy and the players and then the money it produces... so IF we continue going about it the right way I'm optimistic that we can win some trophies in the coming years. Exciting times (and I say that after we've just lost three nil to Palace).

Genuinely astounds me that so many of our "fans" seem to almost celebrate our selling policy

I'm a Saints fan not a business fan - no that doesn't mean "do a Pompey" and get in huge debt, it simply mean stop selling our best players to our competition and if you absolutely have to sell once in a while lets reinvest the money received not bank 30-50%

We will look back on this period as an opportunity missed, unless we change our policy very very soon

Genuinely astounds me that so many of our "fans" still don't get it.

I'm a Saints fan not an unsustainable club fan.

We will look back on this period as one of the best in the club's history.